• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rising from the ashes - Valhalla

OK, just got home from the tuners. What an interesting day. Got to my destination and ran the car mostly dry of 91 octane and then filled it with E85 at $2.29/gallon. Now most of you may be thumbing your noses at that price but out here in SoCal, different story. It was so cheap I felt like pumping an extra couple of gallons on the ground! Only $2.29? So start the car and head back to the tuner. The car does not like this new fuel at all. Stumbles, stalls, not good. We pull it in on the chassis dyno.

Hooking up the sensors we have an issue right off the bat. Rear bank O2 sensor is not reading and defaulting to full rich. Diagnostics prove it's a bad sensor so upon it's replacement we fire the dyno up and see where our baseline is. Now this car had been tuned a couple of years ago by the same tuner. Very familiar with the car. For engine management I'm running AEM Series 2. We do the first pull and it's like 317 rwhp. and only 251 Ftlb torque. WTF? So we are checking all the readings and notice that the boost is less than what we had on the car two years ago. I just added new springs with more boost so what gives? We blew the cold pipe off the throttle body! Honest to God it was off to the side and still pumping almost 5psi! So after fooling with a new silicone hose we are finally up to 10psi of boost. Cool, we are now at 358 and 260 respective. Now we can start to tune.

For those who have not followed, I run twin Areodyne turbos. I had them rebuilt by Areodyne and had them replace and upgrade the vane controllers to the new single port design. By adjusting the control rod, you an adjust how quickly the turbo spools and how much power it will make on the top end. I consulted with them and they said I could run the Orange Spring (9#) so with shims I'm at 10psi.

I had the controllers set at one turn based upon the initial tune done years ago with Layla and comparing with NSX Prime member Dave Dozier who took this (Areodyne) platform to a new level. After a couple of runs we backed them out to two (2) full turns and our goals were met. On E85 (it really was only 58% ethanol) and the new tune we were able to put down 445 rwhp and 339 Ftlb of torque. Full boost by 3,700 rpms. I opened it up once on the ride home on a deserted stretch in 2nd thru 4th gear. I couldn't shift fast enough! I remember seeing video's of a former member EAC. His car was point and shoot. This car now has that trigger but more linear, it handles better and stops too. Performance wise, I'm done with the car. In fact it may be too fast for me. Yes, I said it. This car has my respect and full attention.

It's been a journey. Buying my first NSX, the creation of Layla, it's suicide with me attached. Ashes, healing, fear, bewilderment and stubborn determination. The assist of friends and the best wife a man could ever have. And then to find this car, it's build culminating in this moment. I think I'll pour myself a beer, grab a chair and find a nice spot in the garage so I can stare, reminisce, think of friends who have helped along the way and gaze upon it's beauty. What a car.....

Awesome to hear things are going well. I'm looking for the same type of satisfaction when my car is completed. I'm to the point where I am just about over the whole tuner/tinkering thing. Next car will just be blow the doors off fast right out the box. It's a love hate thing. I love the nsx but it's too damn slow NA. I am almost certain I'll be happy with 400 hp.

Awesome to hear things are going well. I'm looking for the same type of satisfaction when my car is completed. I'm to the point where I am just about over the whole tuner/tinkering thing. Next car will just be blow the doors off fast right out the box. It's a love hate thing. I love the nsx but it's too damn slow NA. I am almost certain I'll be happy with 400 hp.

Thanks Jinks. The power number was my goal when I started this build some years ago. The major maintenance had been planned for some time but your little incident was my determining factor to replace the head gaskets. I'm not going to push the power any more as this would need a built motor to sustain more kick. Now it's time to fiddle less and drive more. Not that I mind fiddling, in fact I'm pretty good at it. But I enjoy driving the car more. Especially now!

Wow! what a great thing to read this morning. Very happy for you.
Thanks Regan. About damn time. But like you, the search for perfection continues. I'm as close as I've ever been now so it's a good time to jump off the crazy train and just enjoy what I have. And I now have a handful. Will I see you on the Castaic Drive next weekend (30th)?

Thanks Regan. About damn time. But like you, the search for perfection continues. I'm as close as I've ever been now so it's a good time to jump off the crazy train and just enjoy what I have. And I now have a handful. Will I see you on the Castaic Drive next weekend (30th)?
The meeting spot is only 1.5hrs drive so it's a possibility!

Congratulations!

I know you're happy now with the power, but resist the urge to turn up the boost possibly in the future (it's addictive and easy to do). Aerocharger/Aerodyne's are only good for a maximum of 10 psi for reliable operation. The reason they all failed on here in the past was people going over 10 psi. I recently pushed mine at 13.5 psi for a few thousand miles and it was OK (new model), but that was more of an engineering proof-of-concept.

Thanks Mac but I am at their, and my limit. Anything more and I would have to go to a non OEM MAP sensor as the stock one is only good for 10.8psi. Plus more motor, courage and talent. Know your limitations. But it does feel good to be done, at least for a while.

wow. i just read thru the entire thread since i got to work this morning. AWESOME build and story man!!

Thank you. Don't know what is better, the story or the build. But the car is awesome and I just scored my dream wheels so I'll post some pictures once I get them mounted. Advan Model 5's in perfect 17/18 specs. Can't wait to put new sneakers on her.

The wrap looks amazing! How long have you had it and how is it holding up?
Sorry just now seeing this question. I've had the wrap since June of 2015. Still looks great on most of the car. Some rock chips in the front but not enough for me to worry about now. Perhaps next fall I'll take her back to see Joey at Endless Autosalon and have him re-wrap the front bumper, upper and lower, and maybe one other piece. But it's holding up well and still looks great. And minimal care too. Great decision for those sitting on the fence as to re-spraying an entire car.

I know it's been a while since I've posted last on this thread. Been doing some little things here and there. Got a new Type-R engine cover and prop rod. Added some George Kite carbon fiber side vents from Marc Perez. Worked on the stereo some more. Aligned the headlights and getting her ready for Westfest next month. Still working on some little (but time consuming) things.

Last edited:
So one of the last (yes I kid myself often) projects was to get the air conditioning to work. Not the CCU, I sent that out to Brian K, along with my gauge cluster, so they work fine. But the A/C has never blown what I would call "cold". When I first bought the car, the A/C didn't work. Compressor was shot so we replaced that, threw some R134A into it and down the road I went. It had gone through the R134A conversion some time/owner ago. But I have learned some valuable info since taking on this latest project. Things like;

1) If you open up the system, you should probably change out the dryer.
2) If you change the system to R134A from R12 you should definitely change out the dryer.
3) After opening the system and changing any part, you should evacuate the system and pull a vacuum that you can sustain. Otherwise the system will still have humidity in the system which degrades the performance and will cause internal corrosion over time.
4) Leaks in the system need to be repaired, not just covered up with more Freon and "Stop Leak"
5) Undercharged systems will perform poorly.
6) Overcharged systems will kill your A/C components

So why do I share all of this info? Because I am into this, up to my neck deep, with this repair. I have leaned on some fellow NSX Prime folk (Jinks and Joe G.) for some guidance and Kaz has made some helpful suggestions too. Here was the diagnosis and what steps I have/am taking.

Went to a shop for some diagnostics and it was what I had thought it was. The system was low on Freon. There had been a leak, for quite some time from the Expansion Valve. If you take off the blower assembly above the battery tray, there is limited access. There may be other leaks but this one was so bad and looked like it had gone on for quite some time. The dryer was the original one. From 1991 with R12 originally in the system. It didn't get changed out with the R134A conversion nor when the compressor had been replaced. So the system probably had some humidity in the the sealed system.

So where am I now? I have pulled out the dryer and Expansion Valve. Real pain in the backside the EV removal and if you ever have to do it, you will understand my description. I have replaced the dryer with a new one. I have o-rings coming for all the connections and the EV arrives mid week. While the blower was off I cleaned it up with the help of Joe G. He has a new service on the way where he can replace all the foam your HVAC system will need, or a complete plug and play unit. A great service we will all be looking for soon. Thanks for your help. I'll be dropping my old parts back off at the A/C shop to make sure there is no contamination and that the compressor should be in good shape. if so, I'll start to button her back up next weekend and then back to the shop to evacuate, check for leaks and then charge her up.

It will only be 113F today. So unless I get this fixed, she will be mothballed until NSXPO in September. I'm beginning to understand the feeling you poor bastards in the Great White North experience every fall when you have to put your cars up for the winter. You have my condolences. And if any of you think I'm soft, I grew up in western New York and married a Canadian. I know cold. And I hope I experience it again in my NSX.

Last edited:
I am also not looking forward to this process. I had to recharge my freon in May. I haven't had to turn on the AC but I'm taking our tomorrow again and for sure... will be using it. Moment of truth... I hope it's not a leak on mine!

You can't just leave us hanging like this, how was your A/C?

Old parts were checked and no issues with debris or excess oil. So I'm on to installing the new parts and back to getting it evacuated and charged next Monday. I'll report back then.

You can't just leave us hanging like this, how was your A/C?

Old parts were checked and no issues with debris or excess oil. So I'm on to installing the new parts and back to getting it evacuated and charged next Monday. I'll report back then.
Well... drove it thru ACH today and had the A/C on the entire way. Seems pretty cold still though it was only about 80deg outside so perhaps she's holding freon .

It’s rough driving a black nsx in the heat. I seem to get lots of radiant heat from the rear firewall and the radiator plumbing channel in the car. It’ll probably be my winter car here in Florida. Hahah. But yeah, these cars are reaching the point where we’ll all be scrambling wondering how to get essential parts. It’s already begun.:mad: I’m still waiting on condenser o-rings from Honda. As well as my fast idle valve.

I’m still waiting on condenser o-rings from Honda. As well as my fast idle valve.

I was able to get an entire replacement pack of o-rings from Amazon. Came with a ton of extra o-rings. I only used four of them (expansion valve and dryer) so if you need some, I can send them to you.

Got the expansion valve back in and the blower bolted up. Checked for gaps where any air might seep through but the foam supplied from Joe was spot on. I place the battery tender on the car for a couple of hours just to make sure I have a fully charged battery. Fired her up and turned on the CCU and the amount of air blowing thru the vents is twice what I had before, maybe more! Felt like I was in a sand storm. The new foam did the trick. I'll have to vacuum all the crap that blew into the car now from the vents, but well worth it. Now off to check for leaks and add some Freon. Can't wait.

Edit: Just got back from the shop. Vacuumed down the system and it held so no leaks. Added R134A and noticed that the air wasn't blowing quite as cold as it should. Upon closer inspection find the heater control valve not moving when changing from heat to A/C so the hot coolant was mixing with the cold air. Popped the cable off the valve and we could turn it so it must be leaking. Zip tied the valve closed and I now have cold air. Will replace the valve. Oh it feels good to be able to drive the car again. It will only be 108F today, but I don't care. I have A/C!

Last edited:
So a quick A/C report. Hit 122F today, again. Was the same temperature yesterday and will be close to that tomorrow. A/c is working great, no issues. What a difference, like having a new car.

Been trying to get the car ready for NSXPO track days at Thunderhill Raceway Park. Spent a lot of time on acquiring items, tools, and things to make track days fun instead of crazy. In case you haven't seen Regan's YouTube of things needed for a less stressful track event, here is your link,
. Very helpful and thanks to Regan for putting this together. I now have my stuff.

So the past weekend I swapped out my track tires and wheels for my street set up. And triple checked brakes, brake ducts, hydraulics, motor, removed more items to save weight and give me a little more room for packing for 10 days and adjusting safety equipment. I think I'm ready. Now just waiting on the tech sheets so I can go down the list. But I'm pretty confident in what I have. I am so looking forward to the whole event. Track days, seeing old friends, drives, dining out, Pacific Coast Highway, Laguna Seca, wine country, time with my beautiful bride and meeting new friends. I love NSXPO.

Last edited:
enthusiasts like you help make xpo extra special......the amazing shlepp of packing every square mm of space trying to have a god looking car and drive it hard on the track is what the organizers hoped for...

enthusiasts like you help make xpo extra special......the amazing shlepp of packing every square mm of space trying to have a god looking car and drive it hard on the track is what the organizers hoped for...

Many thanks but it is the community that makes owning this special car so special. Are you coming out this fall?

Last edited:
Back