• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rust - how much is normal?

Noticed yesterday that there is a significant amount of rust around the rotors and particularly in the area where the wheel attaches (excuse my ignorance of the technical term).

Note that I am not referring to the light film of rust that develops on the rotor itself under moist conditions after a couple of idle days.

This is a Y2K car with 3,500 miles which I'll service tomorrow for the first time, so wanted your opinion before arguing with the service guy.

While I'm at it, the stock stainless exhaust tips (both) have lost their shine and developed a strong blueish / bronze colour... again would you consider this normal or make a warranty issue out of it?

TIA,
Ralph

The rust on the Rotor's is normal as far as I understand. They are made of Cast Iron, so they will rust, and the inside part where the Rotor attaches has not contact with the pads, so that part will just rust.

The blueish/brownish tint on the exhaust tips is from extensive heat cycling, and a small amount of carbon deposits I think. I wouldnt worry too much. Just get some decent metal cleaner and it should be just fine. Btw it is perfectly normal for Stainless steel exhaust to turn slightly brown after use.

Back