• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

rutgers spycam trial / verdict

He's going to see 10 year potentially because of this? This country has lost its collective mind. That's great that we have a case law precedence for this now for other similar cases of public embarrassment.

I agree and I'm very curious as to what sentence gets handed down.

Interesting question and thought provoking, although I see it from the other angle. Why aren't the parents a factor in this? And not for better, but for worse? It is a parental responsibility to look after the well being and mental health of their children. Every time I hear of school shootings or kids killing themselves, VERY RARELY do I see active, involved and understanding parents who were there to diffuse and help the situation. Almost always there are heavy amounts of neglect, abuse or just plain old lack of parenting. Just like when a dog goes off and attacks the neighbor's kid, the owner is liable, so too should be the case if a son or daughter shoots up a university campus or kills themself. I know many people who were discriminated, bullied, attacked for being gay, minority, different, awkward and they didn't shoot up a school or kill themself because of a strong family unit and good upbringing. I would go as far to say if the victim's parents were more involved and understanding of their son's situation, things could have turned out much differently.

Bingo, I wonder if the persons decision to commit suicide was influenced by his parents opinions regarding his sexual orientation.

Bottom line for me...

Accept and love your children as they are and try to be more understanding even though you may not agree with their views. (As long as they aren't breaking the law or hurting others of course) If they are not the super athlete or if they don't chose that Ivy league school you went to, it's their choice and parents need to respect their decisions. What matters most is their pursuit of happiness in life.

Accept and love your children as they are and try to be more understanding even though you may not agree with their views. (As long as they aren't breaking the law or hurting others of course) If they are not the super athlete or if they don't chose that Ivy league school you went to, it's their choice and parents need to respect their decisions. What matters most is their pursuit of happiness in life.
ain't it the truth.

This young man's suicide was a tragedy that is being politicized by some who's real concern is putting forth their own personal social/political agenda.
His personal inner conflict that drove him to his horrible fate is being projected, illustrated and shared publicly in the media, post mortum, on a scale that is titanic compared to what happened in that dorm.

Bingo. :frown:

This young man's suicide was a tragedy that is being politicized by some who's real concern is putting forth their own personal social/political agenda.
His personal inner conflict that drove him to his horrible fate is being projected, illustrated and shared publicly in the media, post mortum, on a scale that is titanic compared to what happened in that dorm.
If you care to say, I would be interested to hear who the "some"
are that you refer to, and what you think their agenda might be.

For my part, I can fault the legislature for a law that even the
judge in this case said was muddled. But I don't fault the jury.
The harder question for me is whether the prosecution overreached.

Ravi broke the law, and the prosecution offered him a deal
where he'd do community service and no jail time. That is to
say, I think the prosecution offered a reasonable way to settle
this matter.

Ravi didn't just turn the deal down, he tried to rig the game.
He destroyed evidence and engaged in witness tampering.
The criminal justice system takes a dim view of that kind
of behavior, and I think rightly so. When you show contempt
like Ravi did, you can expect them to throw the book at you.
I don't know exactly what the right thing would have been for
the prosecution to do at that point, and I don't claim to know
just what their motives were. But Ravi asked for trouble,
and, well, he got it.

Dharun Ravi was sentenced today to 30 days in jail plus some community service, probation, counseling, and a fee.

Well considering that he is going to college and will now have something that will follow him around and surface up in a background check for employment, he might as well start up the next social networking company and take it pubic.

Man this guy was so lucky and got away with murder.

You can't be serious. Ravi might be an absolute worhtless POS who has no respect for other people's feelings and had no idea that his childish prank would get him into soo much trouble... BUT to call him a murderer is a bit of stretch don't u think?

You can't be serious. Ravi might be an absolute worhtless POS who has no respect for other people's feelings and had no idea that his childish prank would get him into soo much trouble... BUT to call him a murderer is a bit of stretch don't u think?

I agree with this.

While I get being politically correct, I also don't like how it makes people and society too weak.

Meh, I agree, he wasn't a murderer. He was a guy whose bullying and hatred directly contributed to someone's death.

His prank might have been childish but was very serious and criminal. I think he was use to living in a world without consequences for his actions.

Meh, I agree, he wasn't a murderer. He was a guy whose bullying and hatred directly contributed to someone's death.

His prank might have been childish but was very serious and criminal. I think he was use to living in a world without consequences for his actions.

I feel profiled.....

they should put a webcam in his cell.....maybe he'll jump off a bridge when he gets out:biggrin:

would be poetic justice.....:tongue:

Back