• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Scam or Not you decide

Any hint of wrong-doing will spread like wildfire and ultimately affect a vehicles resale value.

Bingo. It's no secret that a few people on the forum try to make a career out of bashing the resale opportunity and price of the well-preserved NSXs. They scream "over-priced", or "scam!". Some may argue that the intention was good. However, it's not their intention to help you make a good purchase, but to make you afraid of it. Typically, those who bash the deals cannot afford the cars they're bashing anyway. I seriously doubt any of us who can afford 60k or 70k would just wire the money without seeing it in person. In fact, most of us fly to pick up our NSX in person. Scam or not, the community, especially the legitimate owner would appreciate some facts before anyone calling it a scam.

He did reply:

<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #c4c4c4 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #c4c4c4 1px solid" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="questionQ questionrowpadding questionrow1bg" style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top width=15>Q: </TD><TD class="questioncontent questionrowpadding questionrow1bg" width=633>man you must be getting lazy not even a real name? JohnBaptise10 was atleast something to go by. this has scam listing has been reported also thanks for giving me something to do every night you Jerk LOL try selling toyotas. you might make more money. I am on a mission now to stop your listing of fake cars. this Red NSX we know the owner wow you really are dumb huh</TD><TD class="questioncontent questionrowpadding questionrow1bg" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; TEXT-ALIGN: right" width="20%">Jul-24-10</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"><TD class="questionA questionrowpadding" style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top width=15>A: </TD><TD class="questioncontent questionrowpadding">I have no idea what you are asking. Is there an actual question in there?</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

If I didn't know any better, I'd say whom with the worse grammar has the higher chance of being the scammer.

Hard to say but I think it might be legit. If you are serious about this car then ask the seller to get a PPI done @ the local acura dealer. This way "Acura" can be your third eye and you at least know this car is in his/her possession. If you cover the cost of the PPI then he has nothing to lose. As for price, its definitely within reason and for me I think it might be "high". I have seen in one instance that someone/people called "scam or fraud" in an auction only to have the car sold for a low amount. The buyer actually responded by thanking the community for giving him a great deal. =P I do admit the ad does reek of skepticism given the odd name/zero feedback.

I retract my previous statement, I don't think this is a scam.:smile:
If it is he's reeeeal good.

Dear 002274,

Would there be a good time to see the car in person before I bid? Is it possible you could take the NSX to the Acura dealer to have it checked out for me? I would pay for the inspection. Thanks

- mknmoves

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dear mknmoves,

Sure. I could arrange for it to be checked out at Goodson Acura in Irving, TX. We could arrange for you to see it there. I bought it new there and they have performed all maintenance.

Bingo. It's no secret that a few people on the forum try to make a career out of bashing the resale opportunity and price of the well-preserved NSXs. They scream "over-priced", or "scam!". Some may argue that the intention was good. However, it's not their intention to help you make a good purchase, but to make you afraid of it. Typically, those who bash the deals cannot afford the cars they're bashing anyway. I seriously doubt any of us who can afford 60k or 70k would just wire the money without seeing it in person. In fact, most of us fly to pick up our NSX in person. Scam or not, the community, especially the legitimate owner would appreciate some facts before anyone calling it a scam.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say whom with the worse grammar has the higher chance of being the scammer.

+1.... Well known time wasters & mind readers on this site - additionally enjoy seeing themselves in print. Lots of posting on any subject, but little depth & actual facts......

Who the hell are you, i am just trying to sell my car. What is the purpose of these posts on this thread and ebay?

I stand corrected.

Its probably legit. We are only human. I will e-mail the Seller and tell him I am sorry for my mistake.

With all this has caused I will refrain from calling out scams.
Without any evidence its only speculation.

I stand corrected with this NSX not being a scam.

NSXPRIME Community I am sorry. I like this forum and its Members.

Last edited:
Guys I sent the Seller of this car the following e-mail

Hello,
I sent you an e-mail a few days ago. thinking this e-bay Item
( your NSX )was a scam. There have been alot of scams for this type of car.
These scammer try and get you to send them money and bingo you just got scammed.
Again I am sorry that I Posted that your car was a scam.
The Zero Seller Feedback and a random number for a user name was
one clue, very little info on the specs of the car, which is typical of
these scammers.

I will request the Moderators of the Site Delete this thread.

Again I am sorry.
Shawn

Last edited:
Not everyone who sells their vehicles on ebay think to take a ton of high res pics and go into great detail about their ad, especially if its someone who hasnt sold much on ebay... some just think the basics are enough.

Shawn, I'm sure you're a nice, well-meaning individual, but you have only been a member here for about a year. It seems that you are in some kind of race to accumulate a high post count by having something to say about every single topic posted on Prime.

Why don't you just sit back and observe for a little while to get a better feel for this community and how we operate here. You just might be better served to slow down a bit.

Just my .02

Shawn, I'm sure you're a nice, well-meaning individual, but you have only been a member here for about a year. It seems that you are in some kind of race to accumulate a high post count by having something to say about every single topic posted on Prime.

Why don't you just sit back and observe for a little while to get a better feel for this community and how we operate here. You just might be better served to slow down a bit.

Just my .02

I agree with ChopsJazz statement. Shaun, maybe you could offer to pay for his listing fee's? I think that is the kind of comradery that the nsx community represents.

Just my .02

dito

Just my .02

agree as well:smile: in fact when I was a new dad for the first time prime was low on my priority list:wink:

I agree too. Before someone goes Sitko on you Shawn you need to tone it down a little. Not everyone who is selling an NSX is a scammer, nor is the NSX the best car on the road.

Enjoy you car, enjoy this community, and enjoy everyday that you are here to breath the fresh air. :smile:

Cheers.

I've seen lots of ads on Ebay and this one surely didn't look like a scam to me. High price and reserve - sounds totally legit. Obviously this was prooved out. It may or may not be a little high - 70k seems a bit high to me with 38k miles but hey - you can ask and see what happens. Doesn't hurt or cost anything. I believe the reserve is decent. Be interesting to watch and see what happens.

I feel bad for the seller. Hard enough to sell a car with out this. When I was selling one of the NSX's I had 2 idiots send me a e mail saying that I did not own the car. People should just lets things be unless they are 100% sure its fake like when you see you car for sale or when you see your frinds car for sale and you know he or she is not selling it.

Just my .02

yeah I agree he has over 1000 post in one year and I have under 1000 post in 7 years.

This is nothing more than a very unfortunate incident. Lets put it in perspective. Read the Ebay ad.

It does look a little suspicious; even appearance of a scam I would say!

1) Funky User Name.

2) Zero (0) Seller History. This is HUGE!

3) Zero (0) Feedback. Heck, even Ebay won't let him leave feedback for anyone until he has a minimum of five transactions! Why...to keep people from creating several Seller accounts and using them to retaliate against others by posting negative feedback.

4) Very, very, very, limited written description (This one sent all the alarms off for me; we all love our cars and brag about how unique they are! Not here!)

5) Sells "Worldwide." Really, someone with Zero Ebay Histroy is willing to sell and ship a car abroad? Where have they gotten their experience to complete such a monumental task?

6) Main photo is taken in front of a business. I always look in the background of a car for sale photo. I equate it as: Dealer trying to make the sale look like a Private sale!

Now, what makes this not look like a scam:

1) License plate exposed.

2) CarFax mileage made sense.

3) Overpriced (my opinion only). We all think our NSXs are worth more than they really are! Only a fellow-NSX'r would think a 2005 40k mileage car should pull $70k; sight, unseen!

I don't have any hard feelings for Shawn's attempt to protect us. I feel bad for the owner but it sure would have helped if he had been a member of NSX Prime. Now, I am not blaming the owner for not being a member of NSX Prime as this is not a requirement to own, but...it sure helps doesn't it!

Shawn is "one of our brothers on NSX Prime," the owner is not. Shawn has standing here...the owner does not! I think we all need to treat Shawn like a "brother" right now even though he may (and I only say MAY) have jumped the gun a bit. What do you do when your brother, sister, child or parent does something you don't agree with...get over it and move one...they are still your brother, sister, child or parent!

In summary:

1) No problem Brother Shawn! Your still my NSX Prime bro and I got your back!
2) Real Owner: I am sorry this happened. Please forgive and move on!

To everyone else....lets quit demanding others perform a "Search" on every question they ask. It's kinda like asking your sister to get out of the bathroom when you were growing up...it's never gonna happen so get over it and enjoy life!

A scammer would not put in a reserve price. The seller put in this reserve to prevent anyone from getting this car cheap. His "buy it now" price is a bit high but still reasonable.

Last edited:
ROB4092XX

thanks that mean alot to me.

And as for me having 1000 post in under a year. I like to help.
If I know how to fix something or have input that may help someone
else then I will post my Knowledge. I have been fixing and upgrading
cars for many years,

some people have 1000 post in 10 years. thats sad.

you love cars? maybe not huh.

you love your NSX? maybe not huh.

people make fun of my Grammar, so what if all my post are
Run-on sentences. you dont pay my rent. your not my Father.

I know computers, I know electronics, I know cars, I know carpentry,
I know Plumbing. I know Fiber Optics, I invent things,
I even have a bit of a Green thumb.
I am a well rounded guy
Kind of like a " Jack Of all trades "

" A real man can fix anything "

I help others. I may even go over board at times but I can
sleep well at night knowing I helped someone.

Just yesterday I gave my phone number to 2 different guys in CA
with AC problems. talked to one of them for 4 hours. and the other
one multiple calls thru the day and a few in to the next day.
and stayed on the phone with him till it was fixed.

can any of you with a 1000 posts in ten years say you did that?

some say I'm on a mission to have the most posts in a certain time frame.
thats not true.

Prime is an Asset to me as I finally own my dream car. its not the
fastest or the most pricey but it " MY SUPER CAR "

Ferrari this BMW that, Viper this Vette that.

I may never be able to purchase those useless things but
I did save my HARD earned money and got my dream car.

sometimes "NEW MONEY" is better than "OLD MONEY"
as it means more if you worked hard for it.

I hope no-one takes this post the wrong way but NSX PRIME
is a gathering of NSX owners that share the passion for the same car.

I love Prime.

Last edited:
Rob, gotta comment here - haven't really so far but I have read all of this thread and have been keeping up. I agree with Rob409 - he came to my aide when I was getting bombed and Shawn surely has gotten a rash as well. Every once in a while we need a little reality reminder like this one of Rob's. It's nice to know someone has your back as a fellow primer. We all kind of step on toes once in a while - especially those of us that write a lot and try and help. I recognize this in Shawn and many others here and I like to feel I'm one that helps as well. I've surely gotten a lot more thank yous than bombs. So we NSX brothers and sisters need to stick together and not just pound one another.

Another good post by Rob - thanks buddy - we all need to take a page out of your book! I hope some others read this as well.

A big +1 from me.

This is nothing more than a very unfortunate incident. Lets put it in perspective. Read the Ebay ad.

It does look a little suspicious; even appearance of a scam I would say!

1) Funky User Name.

2) Zero (0) Seller History. This is HUGE!

3) Zero (0) Feedback. Heck, even Ebay won't let him leave feedback for anyone until he has a minimum of five transactions! Why...to keep people from creating several Seller accounts and using them to retaliate against others by posting negative feedback.

4) Very, very, very, limited written description (This one sent all the alarms off for me; we all love our cars and brag about how unique they are! Not here!)

5) Sells "Worldwide." Really, someone with Zero Ebay Histroy is willing to sell and ship a car abroad? Where have they gotten their experience to complete such a monumental task?

6) Main photo is taken in front of a business. I always look in the background of a car for sale photo. I equate it as: Dealer trying to make the sale look like a Private sale!

Now, what makes this not look like a scam:

1) License plate exposed.

2) CarFax mileage made sense.

3) Overpriced (my opinion only). We all think our NSXs are worth more than they really are! Only a fellow-NSX'r would think a 2005 40k mileage car should pull $70k; sight, unseen!

I don't have any hard feelings for Shawn's attempt to protect us. I feel bad for the owner but it sure would have helped if he had been a member of NSX Prime. Now, I am not blaming the owner for not being a member of NSX Prime as this is not a requirement to own, but...it sure helps doesn't it!

Shawn is "one of our brothers on NSX Prime," the owner is not. Shawn has standing here...the owner does not! I think we all need to treat Shawn like a "brother" right now even though he may (and I only say MAY) have jumped the gun a bit. What do you do when your brother, sister, child or parent does something you don't agree with...get over it and move one...they are still your brother, sister, child or parent!

In summary:

1) No problem Brother Shawn! Your still my NSX Prime bro and I got your back!
2) Real Owner: I am sorry this happened. Please forgive and move on!

To everyone else....lets quit demanding others perform a "Search" on every question they ask. It's kinda like asking your sister to get out of the bathroom when you were growing up...it's never gonna happen so get over it and enjoy life!

Thanks Tim...back at ya! Always lookin' to help a fellow Prime bro!

Rob, gotta comment here - haven't really so far but I have read all of this thread and have been keeping up. I agree with Rob409 - he came to my aide when I was getting bombed and Shawn surely has gotten a rash as well. Every once in a while we need a little reality reminder like this one of Rob's. It's nice to know someone has your back as a fellow primer. We all kind of step on toes once in a while - especially those of us that write a lot and try and help. I recognize this in Shawn and many others here and I like to feel I'm one that helps as well. I've surely gotten a lot more thank yous than bombs. So we NSX brothers and sisters need to stick together and not just pound one another.

Another good post by Rob - thanks buddy - we all need to take a page out of your book! I hope some others read this as well.

A big +1 from me.

ROB4092XX
some people have 1000 post in 10 years. thats sad.

you love cars? maybe not huh.

you love your NSX? maybe not huh.

The so-called "nothing more than a very unfortunate incident" has cost a fellow NSX owner his eBay post and more than likely, the resell value and possible interest to his car.

And you had to go there by saying "some people have 1000 post in 10 years. that's sad." There are many respectable primers who don't shoot their mouth off; instead, they only step in when to offer help. Before I picked up my 05, three primers in Ohio helped me with drive-by, and one of them even sent his technician out to do a PPI for me. Two of them did not have more than 1000 posts, but they have been very helpful. I am sure there are hundred of cases of "less than 1000 posts primers are well-respected and extremely helpful.

Additionally, I do not understand the relation between the number of posts and loving our NSXs. How much we love and enjoy our NSXs is our business and ours only. More importantly, our passion to cars CANNOT be measured by the number of posts on prime. But it seems yours is.

The value of your posts is what you said in the post, not how much you say in it. The value and reputation as a prime member is not measure by how many posts he or she posted, but by if he or she helps, benefits or damages others during the process. Oh, one more thing. There are quiet a few threads that encourage the donation, which psychically helps NSX Prime. And I see that the people are least helpful in this thread and most anxious to cover up the mess, are "registered users".

Jas:

While I respect your opinion and appreciate you voicing it here, I could not disagree with you more. Besides, your use of the term "cover-up is something I take very personally based upon 27 years as a command officer with a major city police department. I assure you there was no cover-up involved in my response to what occurred.

Congrats on getting three other Prime members to help you on your purchase. That is really kewl and I mean that! I have done the same for others on this site and others have returned the favor for me. That is what makes this site so great! Name-calling and throwing stones can sometimes break down these types of relationships which are very special indeed!

I am fortunate to be located very close to SOS and STMPO. Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do to assist you out here in metro-Phoenix. I am fully retired and have more time on my hands than I need! I'd much rather be spending my downtime running around checking out NSX stuff than playing golf right now. Besides, it is 110 degrees outside...who wants to play golf in a sauna? Retiring at 48 years seems like a dream for many....but it is a lesson to be learned!

In closing, I am glad you are one of us!

Rob

The so-called "nothing more than a very unfortunate incident" has cost a fellow NSX owner his eBay post and more than likely, the resell value and possible interest to his car.

And you had to go there by saying "some people have 1000 post in 10 years. that's sad." There are many respectable primers who don't shoot their mouth off; instead, they only step in when to offer help. Before I picked up my 05, three primers in Ohio helped me with drive-by, and one of them even sent his technician out to do a PPI for me. Two of them did not have more than 1000 posts, but they have been very helpful. I am sure there are hundred of cases of "less than 1000 posts primers are well-respected and extremely helpful.

Additionally, I do not understand the relation between the number of posts and loving our NSXs. How much we love and enjoy our NSXs is our business and ours only. More importantly, our passion to cars CANNOT be measured by the number of posts on prime. But it seems yours is.

The value of your posts is what you said in the post, not how much you say in it. The value and reputation as a prime member is not measure by how many posts he or she posted, but by if he or she helps, benefits or damages others during the process. Oh, one more thing. There are quiet a few threads that encourage the donation, which psychically helps NSX Prime. And I see that the people are least helpful in this thread and most anxious to cover up the mess, are "registered users".

Last edited:
Back