• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed next generation Individual Throttle Body System for NSX

The new ScienceofSpeed Individual Throttle Body System is an evolution of the ultimate induction system for the NSX. Redesigned and refined for 2011, the system offers the best performance, reliability, and drivability of any system at any price.

individualthrottle_1024.jpg

The system is the only individual throttle system that has been designed to function properly for street as well as race type applications. A support plate and block, CNC machined from billet aluminum, functions as both a support for the linkage and a vacuum distribution block that integrates with the factory idle air control valve to allow idle and drivability unheard of aftermarket individual throttle body systems. The system is also the only individual throttle designed to function with the factory throttle cable and to function with the factory fuel return hose with a rail-mounted fuel pressure regulator.

Next month we expect to introduce a carbon fiber intake box for the throttle system.

ITB_supportblock_800.jpg

ITB_IACplate_800.jpg

The system produces significant power gains on both factory and built engines.

stock 3.0L engine, baselined with stock ECU and factory intake system
41 hp gain w/ ScienceofSpeed Individual Throttle Body System
read more information about Dan's build here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144784&page=4

high compression 3.5L engine, baselined with AEM EMS and factory intake system w/ ScienceofSpeed big bore throttle body
32 hp gain w/ ScienceofSpeed Individual Throttle Body System
read more information about our build here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142227

For more information, please visit:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...SX/ScienceofSpeed/individual_throttle_bodies/

thank you,
-- Chris

dope! I'd love to pick up a set in the near future, SoS is doing big things for the NSX community :)

After owning SOS ITBs sytem for 3 weeks I thought I'd chime in my experience.
The system installed w/o major hick-ups. Tuning was a breeze for Tony @ UMS Tuning. The ITBs ran like OEM only with some major attitude at WOT.
Chris was more than accomodating in customer service!!! first class.
This was by far my best mod on my NSX. Very torquey feel at low end and VTEC kicks in very noticeably in power and sound...:) the sound at WOT is another dimension (I have ARC Ti exhaust and straight pipes)
Cruising in 5th gear was manageable, very minimal increase in cabin noise. I can still use my phone while driving.
I will post a better sound clip of the throttle response soon.
Just imagine a CBR bike blipping the throttle...!!!

Anyone would like to ask any particular question that can't be answered here I would be happy to answer from a customer's perspective.

Dan

Last edited:
Chris,

Any pricing on this? I'm around 260 whp for a 93 NA1. If my math is correct, that's around 300 whp? Please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
Chris,

Any pricing on this? I'm around 260 whp for a 93 NA1. If my math is correct, that's around 300 whp? Please let me know. Thanks.

Dan's NSX produced 274 whp on a fairly conservative Dynapack dyno. That's more than 300 hp at the crankshaft. His engine is other wise stock and baselined on the same dyno with the stock intake at 233 whp. The intake and EMS alone gained 41 whp and 62 lb/ft of torque at 5300 RPM.

This is Dan's plot (with the baseline colored blue and ECU/ITB runs in red) - I think it's easier to read this way.
3.0L_baseline_ITB.jpg

Pricing and lots more info shown here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...SX/ScienceofSpeed/individual_throttle_bodies/

Cheers,
-- Chris

What modifications are required for 95-05's? I'm guessing the targa top holder won't work with this sytem...

Very nice setup.

But why is your ITB torque dropping off after ~6500RPM's whereas it remains constant for the OEM intake? Is it tuning-related?

Seems like you should be getting another 20HP out of that easily :confused:

Was a similar trend observed on the SOS engine?

Thanks,

Dave

Absolutely beautiful Chris!

I know of an all black satin anodized fuel pressure regulator that would look fantastic with that kit. :wink:

Thanks Devin. I assume you mean AEM... does this regulator allow an ORB fitting to be used so that it can be rail mounted? Space is very tight in that area in order to allow the factory return hose to be used. I'll drop you a line.

-- Chris

What modifications are required for 95-05's? I'm guessing the targa top holder won't work with this sytem...

You would need to convert to throttle cable and have a stand alone engine management system. It would be a pretty significant amount of work. That being said, a company in England is using this throttle body system in a drive by wire car by using drive by wire components from another vehicle. Perhaps the owner will provide some details when they are finished.

-- Chris

Congrats on developing another great product for our cars. I'm a big proponent of FI but this, this is just pure unadulterated pleasure just hearing the engine note with the ITBs. That alone is worth the price of admission. :cool:

Likely from runner length. The goal was to maximize mid range torque where the gains would be most usable. The stroked engines as well have the biggest torque gain between 4000-7000 RPM.

-- Chris

Would you swap on a shorter bellmouth for the same price to shift peak gains up higher in the rev band?

Thanks,

Dave

Would you swap on a shorter bellmouth for the same price to shift peak gains up higher in the rev band?

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, 40mm and 60mm long air horns available (the standard length is 90mm).

cheers,
-- Chris

Is there any air filter to keep debris from getting in the engine?

Are the power increases without air filter?

A carbon air box for filtration will be available shortly.

-- Chris

You would need to convert to throttle cable and have a stand alone engine management system. It would be a pretty significant amount of work. That being said, a company in England is using this throttle body system in a drive by wire car by using drive by wire components from another vehicle. Perhaps the owner will provide some details when they are finished.

-- Chris

Sounds like I'd be better off just selling the targa and getting a coupe... If I had this system I would want to show it off under the engine hatch anyways (meaning no engine cover). I love the idea of ITB's so much it may be worth it! Still, I'd like to hear about the owner in England if he's willing to share his experiment. Thanks

surely my next mod....
the Nsx will be my NA beast... my Evo7 is already my Turbo animal:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Seems to be a very high quality kit!!!!!!
Have you tried to connect the stock MAP sensor on the vacuum distribution block, and to see if the voltage output of the MAP is stable enough to run the factory ECU?

Yes, the stock MAP sensor is used. The signal is stable, however, the stock ECU would not be ideal due to the different throttle position sensor used and the throttle position / MAP tuning strategy used.

cheers,
-- Chris

Here are some videos from Dan's thread:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LkdyJzKo8tE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yR0290uWnk4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cheers,
-- Chris

Yes, the stock MAP sensor is used. The signal is stable, however, the stock ECU would not be ideal due to the different throttle position sensor used and the throttle position / MAP tuning strategy used.

cheers,
-- Chris

Uhmmmm...Isn't possible to use the stock TPS, or a TPS that have an output votage equal to the stock?
I am able to manage the engine in NA form with the stock PGMFI ecu, so it's pity to change ecu only for a TPS sensor :smile:

It may be possible to fabricate an adaptor to allow the throttle shaft to drive the factory TPS. However, this may be a little difficult due to the differences in the shaft design of these throttles vs. factory throttle body.

However, that will not resolve the limitation of having the factory ECU and not being able to tune fueling based on TPS and MAP for best drivability. The airflow of the individual throttles is much more dynamic than one single throttle.

Using a programmable engine management system like the AEM EMS is the ideal solution.

-- Chris

The stock TPS sensor have a linear 0-5v output, what about yours? I'm really thinking to try with the stock ecu. I have tuned some B and D series on ITB with the stock PGMFI ecu so I'm confident...

Last edited:
Back