• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed next generation Individual Throttle Body System for NSX

i am also posting my final post in this thread. My point was to make sure nobody reading this thread buys itb's because they read Dan's post and think that Itb's on a C30 or C32 will make more power then a (old style or new style ctsc at low boost). The ctsc will obviously make more power and be the faster nsx.-- but that is not the point.

The point is that you don't put itb's or stay NA because all you care about is being fastest. You put itb's on your nsx, because you
- want to stay na
- appreciate the crisp throttle response
- like the solid engineering, exotic looks and fine craftsmanship that sos has put into the system
- are looking to tune your nsx and will appreciate the gain in performance.

A customer from Germany asked about a group buy for this. There is no cost savings for us until we're in the 10+ unit range, which is probably unrealistic for such as specialized part. However, if at least three would commit, we could cut our cost down. If you're interested, please post here. I'll e-mail details if there is enough interest.

thanks,
-- Chris

Yes, if anyone is interested into a group buy please let me know.
I will take one set, so we will need two more orders for the ITB-system
to get a discout of approximately 10% :wink:

Pretty much for now (FI to come soon :wink:). And on All Season tires (damn WA weather!). We should post in the NW section and make a meet out of it!

when you guys do that, make sure letting me know so I can tag along. Just FYI, the NW tracks had already opened. Audi club had already had couple track days at PIR. PR is opened as well. Just that majority of clubs won't have track day as the unpredictable weather will not let them have the favorable turnouts. (the track rent is getting too expensive.)

When you say 2750 #s is that you estimating it or did you put it on a scale ?
QUOTE]

My car is actually lighter than my guesstimate.
According to the scale person the scale is accurate to +/- 20 lbs.

edited.JPG

When you say 2750 #s is that you estimating it or did you put it on a scale ?
QUOTE]

My car is actually lighter than my guesstimate.
According to the scale person the scale is accurate to +/- 20 lbs.

edited.JPG

Is that a "short" ton or an actual ton? There is a difference.. so just wanted to verify. With weight reduction you're probably in the right range, plus it's a truck stop so I'm sure they use "American" tons.

Is that a "short" ton or an actual ton? There is a difference.. so just wanted to verify. With weight reduction you're probably in the right range, plus it's a truck stop so I'm sure they use "American" tons.

It was the scale at transfer station, so I am not sure short ton or American ton. But the lady told me that just x2 and you'll get the unit in lbs.
I know how much weights I reduced on my car. I went to the scale so the nay sayer won't have any doubt.
The complete intake manifold is quite heavy compared to the ITBs system.
So prior to my ITBs and removal of complete stereo system the car was at 2800 lbs. At the truck scale.
If there's a chance to weigh my car more accurately I'd be all over that. For now, that's all I can get out of.

Last edited:
So these gains are only with the ITB system and tune??

No exhaust/header modification??

If so I think we are all really dying to see how big the gains are with a complete system installed......especially on a NA2 NSX.

Maybe I am blind and did not read these posts correctly but if not it would be great to the gains in power.

So these gains are only with the ITB system and tune??

No exhaust/header modification??

If so I think we are all really dying to see how big the gains are with a complete system installed......especially on a NA2 NSX.

Maybe I am blind and did not read these posts correctly but if not it would be great to the gains in power.

The gains are from ITB and EMS only. Headers / exhaust were already on the car (and already installed for the baseline).

-- Chris

The gains are from ITB and EMS only. Headers / exhaust were already on the car (and already installed for the baseline).

-- Chris

So basically Chris, this car is identical to mine in setup engine wise. Stock bottom end and top end with I/H/E.

I made 252whp On tonys Dyno.
Oh My God am I excited.

I just got my tax return too :)

Chris

(1) How would individual, stack-mounted filters affect power, when compared to your upcoming CF airbox?

(2) On my Jon Martin 3.8L motor (stroked, etc), what stack length would you suggest and why (Shad can supply you with a current baseline)? Expected crank and WHP?

Last edited:
Chris

(1) How would individual, stack-mounted filters affect power, when compared to your upcoming CF airbox?

(2) On my Jon Martin 3.8L motor (stroked, etc), what stack length would you suggest and why (Shad can supply you with a current baseline)? Expected crank and WHP?

Anything that has an effect on the swirling airflow into the air horn will have a significant impact on performance. Although I have not seen these used on the NSX, I have seen stack mounted filters make a 15-20% impact on power, which is why we do not prefer them.

I'm sorry, I don't know much about your engine. What power did it baseline at? A stroked engine we dynoed that produced 320 whp gained close to 30 whp with the throttles alone, and another stroked engine producing 365 whp gained 32 whp. The gains are fairly proportionate to the power the engine produces. Hope that helps.

cheers,
-- Chris

So for post 96 cars (throttle by wire cars), a cable will have to be run to the ITB's, have you done this yet with any TBW cars ? Would the factory cable have to be used? I think i read that this is a discontinued item. Will traction control still function or would there be a TCS fault or light iluminated on the dash ? Does the clamshell for T tops still fit or are the horns in the way. Would the lexan hatch and scoop be the best fit (most power gains)?

In order to use this on a drive by wire NSX, you'd need to do a significant amount of retrofit including the cable, throttle pedal assembly, and quite a bit of wiring. It would not be compatible with the engine cover. It would not cause any dash lights and TCS is disabled, but capable through the ECU. It seems like using a 1991-94 NSX is the best option.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the response, I was afraid of that. So how is the airbox comming? I assume the best path for airflow would be a straight shot like with your lexan hatche and scoop combination ?

Last edited:
I assume the best path for airflow would be a straight shot like with your lexan hatch and scoop combination?
Chris, would the ITB setup benefit in any meaningful way with this scoop pictured (unknown vendor)? Let's assume that the scoop can be attached to a Lexan hatch. And, assume further there is no direct/ducted connection between the scoop and the ITB set up.

Attachments

• NSX scoop.jpg
    NSX scoop.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 290
I've been thinking along similar lines. Those georgeous ITB funnels deserve to be seen, not hidden in an airbox. I'm picturing an engine cover, sealed airtight all round including astound the ITBs, and the whole cavity fed thru an air filter. ITBs center stage and clean aiair.

The "hatch" you point out is a custom one off. It took him many man hours and he has amazing skill in fabrication. You won't find that hatch for sale anywhere. Even worse, someone else just sold their super rare Mugen hatch on eBay, so that's not available either.

I agree with you guys. Those ITBs are meant to be seen.

serialNSXer - why do u think any HP would be lost?

juice - not sure what u mean? My suggestion is based on stock lid, no mods except improved air sealing at the edges. The air filter can remain in stock location, but fed up into sealed cavity between lid & (modified) engine cover....

Last edited:
I get ya. There are a couple of ways to make the hatch area into a glorified air box, but none would be easy. Plus the horns sit well below the engine cover.

Back