• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed next generation Individual Throttle Body System for NSX

The stock TPS sensor have a linear 0-5v output, what about yours? I'm really thinking to try with the stock ecu. I have tuned some B and D series on ITB with the stock PGMFI ecu so I'm confident...

0-5V as well. You're welcome to try this, we can remove the TPS from the kit and lower the price. Please drop us an e-mail if you are interested: [email protected]

regards,
-- Chris

Even though ITB's are really cool to look at and hear. 41 hp for $5000 and you still have to tune it and get engine management. :rolleyes: Might as well spend another $1000 and get a CTSC:confused: and make twice the power. Or Turbo kit at $6k and make 3 times as much power. Now if this product was like $3k than it would make more sense for the Horse power/dollar ratio. Besides the Cool factor of having ITB's, doesnt look like a great deal to me. You will BARELY Feel 40 hp and you just spent $6-7K with tuning and enging management. My nitrous kit had a 60Hp and TQ shot Which is INSTANT Hit and I can BAREly Feel that. Can you guys really feel a 40 hp difference ? and does it feel good enough to spend $6k on it:confused:

After buying this kit, You still need to buy Fuel Injectors, The Air box, Not Carb LEGAL, 1995-05 requires throttle cable retrofit, Air box not included. Air box to be released in first quarter, 2011.

Everyone interested in itb's knows it's not all about HP for dollar!!

Chris,

You may want to consider these filters for people that want to keep the runners exposed without a airbox.

http://www.bills-b-racing.com

I used these on my GT-40 build and they worked excellent on the Weber ITBs. May be a cheeper alternative to a new air box design.

But if you were to use the vented rear hatch and a custom air box you may get a ram air effect that could potentially increase performance even more.

At first glance, it is true for the general public that $5k + tune + install is a tough sell for 41hp. But then again, the SOS supercharger is a wooping $11k + tune + install for 120hp. HP for HP, dollar for dollar, I think the price is very similar. To be on the same line here for hp/$, the SOS 3.5L NA stroker is $8k + tune + install for approx 90hp.

Conclusion: It ain't cheap for extra HP.

If you have to ask why,then its not for you.NA purists are a different breed:smile:

how much saving can we get for 3 orders??
is it possible to go down to a $3XXX price point??
so right now its $4695 + $700(injector) + $1200(AEM EMS)= Total $6595!!!:eek:
my friend just got a jenvey itb for his S2000 for $1800 with all the the hardware, and he needs the AEM EMS, and injector, total comes to about $3500, which is a really good deal!!!

so i hope we could get a better price on this! i love to get one but its a little too much(almost double the price) for 2 more manifolds!!

A customer from Germany asked about a group buy for this. There is no cost savings for us until we're in the 10+ unit range, which is probably unrealistic for such as specialized part. However, if at least three would commit, we could cut our cost down. If you're interested, please post here. I'll e-mail details if there is enough interest.

thanks,
-- Chris

There isn't any amount of horsepower, whether done by NA or FI, that will be sufficient. What does any NA NSX owner want more of? HP. What does any FI NSX owner want more of? HP. If you think that statement suspect, refer to the numerous FI threads detailing more boost, bigger turbo, higher boost belt, etc.

NA is definitely the more costly route to go. However, having been in quite a few high hp cars, there is nothing more fun and none more soul stirring than a high HP naturally aspirated car.

If you'd like to opt for the FI route, please do so. If you'd like to go NA, you have that option. It's your wallett.

If someone has an older style comptech, I can almost certain that my car can hang with. I don't know anyone around my area with older comptech SC or else I can find out for sure.
Did some calculations and found that my car is in the 12's on 1/4 mile.

274 whp and 2750 lbs!!!

I know an M6 is in the 12's and I have a couple friends have M6s so next opportunity I will compare and report later.

ITB's is unique in it's own! So it is unfair to compare with SC or Turbo.
In another word "ITB's, NO Comparision"

Last edited:
na1/2 r gt

I love your car and enjoyed following your build. I have a na2 ctsc nsx (old kit) as well as a normally aspirated stock 05 nsx. my comptech nsx dynoed at 367 rwhp at autowave and i can assure you the itbs would not be close on a drag race. (the power difference is very obvious)

Not taking anything away from your car (which is in a class by itself) or the ITB's, as i personally am thinking about an early nsx build and getting the kit.

I understand the normally aspirated route as i am on my third s2k (second one i supercharged) and my current 2008 i enjoy much more na. so in summary not trying to be negative, but also don't think we want to mislead those that don't know.
thanks

NSX isnt an athletic or a body builder, its a starving somalian...:tongue:

I disagree. With the mods Comptech offered in 1994, a naturally aspirated 3.0 liter 5-speed is capable of going 186 mph. That’s good even compared to a 2011 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Nissan GT-R, Audi R8, Porsche 911, etc.

If these ITB’s tickle even more horsepower out of an NA1, that’s fantastic. Ponyboy - if you get these ITB’s installed on your SoS 3.6, it would be cool to see some before/after dynos carried out as close together in time as is possible. If these ITB’s increase torque at all rpm from idle to redline, they’re golden.

Ponyboy - if you get these ITB’s installed on your SoS 3.6, it would be cool to see some before/after dynos carried out as close together in time as is possible. If these ITB’s increase torque at all rpm from idle to redline, they’re golden.

Chris did a baseline a few months ago and the engine dyno'd 338rwhp and 278rwftlbs. Considering that the ITBs are basically installed and we're just waiting for the finishing touches on the airbox to be completed, this is about as close together as the dynos are going to be for comparision purposes. That said, the dyno software does the whole SAE correction thing so I'm not too worried about dramatic environmental swings.

Here's the most recent pic:

ITB_install2.jpg

na1/2 r gt

I love your car and enjoyed following your build. I have a na2 ctsc nsx (old kit) as well as a normally aspirated stock 05 nsx. my comptech nsx dynoed at 367 rwhp at autowave and i can assure you the itbs would not be close on a drag race. (the power difference is very obvious)

Not taking anything away from your car (which is in a class by itself) or the ITB's, as i personally am thinking about an early nsx build and getting the kit.

I understand the normally aspirated route as i am on my third s2k (second one i supercharged) and my current 2008 i enjoy much more na. so in summary not trying to be negative, but also don't think we want to mislead those that don't know.
thanks

Thanks for being very polite toward my comment!

The older style comptech normally puts out 320s so 367 whp would be high boost I assumed.
So at 320s and 3200 lbs and compared to my 274/2750 lbs + lighter flywheel and lighter unsprung weights on my mods I am sure I can hang with.

Regards,

Dan

Chris did a baseline a few months ago and the engine dyno'd 338rwhp and 278rwftlbs. Considering that the ITBs are basically installed and we're just waiting for the finishing touches on the airbox to be completed, this is about as close together as the dynos are going to be for comparision purposes. That said, the dyno software does the whole SAE correction thing so I'm not too worried about dramatic environmental swings.

Here's the most recent pic:

ITB_install2.jpg

Very nice Shawn,
I know you will be very happy with your ITBs.
Enjoy.

Dan

Here's my latest video that I just made.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DVDUS3Nt0m0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When you say 2750 #s is that you estimating it or did you put it on a scale ?
And if you cOmparing cars with the same weight ITBs with CTSC. ITBs WILL lose. You can't compare 2 cars unless all variables match.
ITBs fr s2000 are half the price and Everyone at the car show this year seemed to have ITBs. I bet in few years we will have ITBs at much cheaper price than now, just how the turbo kits use to be 5 years ago, unaffordable but now it's an Excelent option for the price.

If someone has an older style comptech, I can almost certain that my car can hang with. I don't know anyone around my area with older comptech SC or else I can find out for sure.
Did some calculations and found that my car is in the 12's on 1/4 mile.

274 whp and 2750 lbs!!!

I know an M6 is in the 12's and I have a couple friends have M6s so next opportunity I will compare and report later.

ITB's is unique in it's own! So it is unfair to compare with SC or Turbo.
In another word "ITB's, NO Comparision"

I look forward to reading about the results and your impressions!

I know right now I'm going to love 'em. If I enjoy the Stroker engine as much as I do, the ITBs are going to make the driving experience even better. The better test will be having some of my friends drive the car and give their thoughts. I've got a good goup of motorsports guys locally that aren't emotionally attached to the car and are happy to tell me how much they may think I've overspent. ;) The people that drove the Stroker before the ITBs liken the car's acceleration "in between a 911 turbo and a gt500." I'll let them test it out and see if they tease me.

Very nice Shawn,
I know you will be very happy with your ITBs.
Enjoy.

Dan, your vid reminded me of this:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y2iBbwocYZw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes NA or FI owners Both want more power. Difference is NA can't do Anymore than what you have done. And you FI you just turn up the boost on your built engine and you can go as high you like. Either way different things satisfy different people. I know for me it wouldn't suffice spending $7000 on 40 hp. But if it's what You want than who cares what anyone else thinks.
Happy Motoring!

There isn't any amount of horsepower, whether done by NA or FI, that will be sufficient. What does any NA NSX owner want more of? HP. What does any FI NSX owner want more of? HP. If you think that statement suspect, refer to the numerous FI threads detailing more boost, bigger turbo, higher boost belt, etc.

NA is definitely the more costly route to go. However, having been in quite a few high hp cars, there is nothing more fun and none more soul stirring than a high HP naturally aspirated car.

If you'd like to opt for the FI route, please do so. If you'd like to go NA, you have that option. It's your wallett.

Yeah, getting more n/a horsepower out of a C30A or C32B than Honda’s engineers did is more of a challenge than turning up the boost. But the challenge is one of the things that makes it so satisfying if you are successful!

If replacing the OEM intake manifold with open ITBs nets 41 rwhp on a relatively stock 3.0 liter and 32 rwhp on a fully built 3.5 liter, and horsepower and torque are increased at all rpm, that’s fantastic. I’m not quite sure why it works so well, but if several dyno tests all say the same thing, hats off to SoS.

And further improvements are always possible. I think I read that at redline, a Ferrari Enzo uses 150 horsepower to overcome the aerodynamic drag caused by the crankshaft spinning and the pistons pumping air back and forth within the crankcase. To reduce that for the FXX, they boat-tailed the crankshaft counterweights and redesigned the shape of the crankcase.

In an NSX, state-of-the-art slipper pistons with longer connecting rods might reduce the reciprocating masses enough for you to boat-tail the crankshaft as well. DLC coatings on the valvetrain and pistons could reduce friction as could thinner, lower-tension piston rings and lighter valves that allow you to run softer valve springs. In the case of the ITB system, using an airbox whose resonance has been properly tuned would force more air into the cylinders and breathing cold air from outside the engine compartment would result in a denser intake charge. All these things could increase n/a horsepower further. They would require more effort than turning up the boost a bit but that’s part of the fun.

Last edited:
Back