• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Screeching sound from 6-8

I am experiencing a screeching sound at WOT from 6-8k. If I roll into the throttle easily it doesn't seem to happen. I also hear a chirp at start up.
I first started hearing this after installing a new exhaust. I thought it was my clutch. I replace the clutch,replaced the AC pulley and adjusted the tension on the other belts. The sound is Very noticeable. Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. I have a reputable shop in town along with an Acura dealership that I trust but who haven't been able to isolate the noise.

I am experiencing a screeching sound at WOT from 6-8k. If I roll into the throttle easily it doesn't seem to happen. I also hear a chirp at start up.
I first started hearing this after installing a new exhaust. I thought it was my clutch. I replace the clutch,replaced the AC pulley and adjusted the tension on the other belts. The sound is Very noticeable. Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. I have a reputable shop in town along with an Acura dealership that I trust but who haven't been able to isolate the noise.

Experiencing the exact noise with my Pride exhaust. Was pretty bad @ 6-8k rpm. I replaced the steel gasket with a copper type that goes between the cat and exhaust when I replaced headers and it almost eliminated the noise but it still lingers just above 7k. I concluded it HAS to have something to do with the cat or how the cat seals to the exhaust. I haven't checked yet but maybe the cat has a smaller diameter than the exhaust (2" for stock cats i think and possibly 2.25 for exhaust?) This might be causing it? Not 100% sure and I do not have any leaks around the cats. I have prospeed high flow cats with 2.25" diameter plumbing waiting for me when I get back from Spain and I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that it completely eliminates the noise. If anyone else wants to chime in please do so!

Check your a/c idle pulley. Mine was squealing like this about a year ago.
I tightened the belt a little bit and that helped for a few days, until the pulley seized up and ripped itself off the car!:eek::mad:

The pulley broke off a couple of fasteners and the a/c belt got caught in the alternator belt, chewing it up pretty badly in the process. The bearings in these have been known to fail after enough time so check it out.

I tightened the belt a little bit and that helped for a few days, until the pulley seized up and ripped itself off the car!:eek::mad:

The pulley broke off a couple of fasteners and the a/c belt got caught in the alternator belt, chewing it up pretty badly in the process. The bearings in these have been known to fail after enough time so check it out.

possibly but this started occurring (in my case) right after the exhaust was installed 8-\

Experiencing the exact noise with my Pride exhaust. Was pretty bad @ 6-8k rpm. I replaced the steel gasket with a copper type that goes between the cat and exhaust when I replaced headers and it almost eliminated the noise but it still lingers just above 7k. I concluded it HAS to have something to do with the cat or how the cat seals to the exhaust. I haven't checked yet but maybe the cat has a smaller diameter than the exhaust (2" for stock cats i think and possibly 2.25 for exhaust?) This might be causing it? Not 100% sure and I do not have any leaks around the cats. I have prospeed high flow cats with 2.25" diameter plumbing waiting for me when I get back from Spain and I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that it completely eliminates the noise. If anyone else wants to chime in please do so!

Been a long time since i replaced my exhaust but isn't that a donut type gasket? I have the V2 and test pipes i'll be installing soon as i can get back home.

Mike

:eek: How much was the repair bill?

This is really good information.

Been a long time since i replaced my exhaust but isn't that a donut type gasket? I have the V2 and test pipes i'll be installing soon as i can get back home.

Mike

the gaskets are doughnut style on factory applications but when aftermarket parts are put on they most likely do not have the "groove" that the doughnut sits in so the gaskets are swapped to the triangular type that dali sells here -> http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=2355

Last edited:
the gaskets are doughnut style on factory applications but when aftermarket parts are put on they most likely do not have the "groove" that the doughnut sits in so the gaskets are swapped to the triangular type that dali sells here -> http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=2355

The V2 is my fourth exhaust (when i install it). OEM, gtlw, spoon all used the doughnut to the CAT on my car. Removing the CAT's this time.

Mike

Edit... that was to the adapters.

Last edited:
Thanks for the the insight on the gaskets. The sound is so metalic sounding I never thought of that. One problem is that I couldn,t get it do do it unless under load. I will replace the gaskets this weekend and make sure everything is correctly aligned.

Before you drive any more (or even run the engine) double check and confirm it is not your Harmonic Balancer (HB) or "crank pulley" . The big heavy one with a rubber damper inside. They can screech on seperation if it is rubbing your timing belt cover or if it's spinning inside the metal pulley...... If it all looks suspect don't drive the car, get it replaced....

Not saying this to alarm but do check, if it is failing you can very quickly chew into your TB cover and break the Timing Belt and all hell breaks loose!

Last edited:
Before you drive any more (or even run the engine) double check and confirm it is not your Harmonic Balancer (HB) or "crank pulley" . The big heavy one with a rubber damper inside. They can screech on seperation if it is rubbing your timing belt cover or if it's spinning inside the metal pulley...... If it all looks suspect don't drive the car, get it replaced....

Not saying this to alarm but do check, if it is failing you can very quickly chew into your TB cover and break the Timing Belt and all hell breaks loose!

Thanks. I will check it out this weekend. I will let you know.

I will replace the gaskets this weekend and make sure everything is correctly aligned.
Need some help? I've got ratchet wrenches!!!!!!
-DREW-

OK from what I can see the harmonic balancer looks ok. I just put the car up on stands the exhaust is to hot to do anything right now. I did notice that the passanger inner CVC is leaking a little. I looked over all pulleys and didn't see any thing that looked like metal to metal. No shavings. I am going to loosen all bolts on the exhaust replace the metal seals with copper and see if that helps.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have the adaptor pipes that go from the cats to the exhaust. On one of them there might have been some leakage. The spring bolts that connect the cat to the test pipe was cocked and it didn't appear to be sealing on the donut on the cat. I replaced the upper with a bolt to make a better seal. I still hear a chirp at start up. The weather is to nasty to get out today. Will test drive tomorrow.

I replaced the gaskets from the adaptor pipes to the exhaust. I also aligned the best I could the adaptor pipes at the cats. I went out and got the car to temp and then did some 6-8k wot burst in 1st and 2nd gear. I did about 15. The sound has been cut by about 80%. I think that I am not getting a 100% seal at the cats. Will take to a muffler shop as soon as I can and let them see if so.

Will also replace the harmonic balancer. I am at 142K not worth risking detonation.

Thanks for all the responses you all helped a ton.

Glad the gaskets helped, If the muffler guy can figure out the last bit of noise please let me know :)

a.) Remove all 6x hex nuts.

b.) Take a few steps back and make any adjustments you need so that the tailpipes are even with the bumper

c.) Finger tight ALL 6x hex nuts. And gently torque them down but not completely tight.

d.) At this point the exhaust tips should still be aligned.

e.) Now use a wrench (don't use an impact gun) tighen all 6x bolts while visually check the the tailpipes.

This should help seal better. Let me know guys. I also sell the exhaust gaskets ($14 shipped).

If you purchased a Pride exhaust and the gaskets are not sealing correctly. Contact me here on Prime via PM or email: [email protected] :smile:

The exhaust looks aligned. This is a strange sound. You cannot replicate it unless under load. The new gaskets helped plus aligning the cats to the adaptor pipes. I went to midas last weekend but the idiot GM started talking about welding. I just said thanks but no thanks. With me traveling all week and honey dues to do on the weekend I need to locate a local guy to help me check it out.
Will let you know what I find out. Hopefully this weekend.

The exhaust looks aligned. This is a strange sound. You cannot replicate it unless under load. The new gaskets helped plus aligning the cats to the adaptor pipes. I went to midas last weekend but the idiot GM started talking about welding. I just said thanks but no thanks. With me traveling all week and honey dues to do on the weekend I need to locate a local guy to help me check it out.
Will let you know what I find out. Hopefully this weekend.

Are you running stock cats?

Here's a video of a short spirited run that my step father recorded. The noise is a very distinct "howl" at the top of the rev range. Sorry for the poor video quality, he posted it on facebook and I'm not computer literate enough to rip the file from it. Thus I just recorded the video of the video with my phone and uploaded it (give it up for resourcefulness ;) )

Hope this helps!

Back