• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shady alignment shop story, Was I in the wrong here?

My alignment guy ALWAYS goes for a quick test drive to make sure the wheel is dead center when going straight as well as checking his work. But my car is the slowest car he works on, since his weekend job is chassis engineer for an ALMS team. :biggrin:

And dude, you do need to chill a little.... it's an NSX not a McLaren F1 or Zonda.

MY personal alignment shop / guy has a trusted shop in the bay area and they ALWAYS take the cars for a test drive AFTER the alignment to be sure it's done correctly. I don't know why they would want to drive it prior but it could be their policy but they clearly should have told you first.

I don't trust many shops but I would gladly hand over the keys to any of my cars to this shop but this is because I know and trust them 100%.

You said you took your nsx to a shop based on recommendations? Who the heck did you ask? ....sounds like a pretty shady place!?

I would be TOTALLY PISSED and call the cops or my lawyer at some point if I was you but why the heck did you trust this shop in the first place?

I don't think your reaction to the experience is too far off from how I would have reacted. I have grown up with my family owning and collecting high end sport cars and in all the times I have seen one of our cars get aligned or even my own NSX I would never "trust" anybody with it. The fact remains it's your property and all "trust" does is provide an opportunity for someone who doesn't care about the car, to damage or destroy it. Presumably, by accident that is. I recognize that in order for the car to be aligned the car must be handled by the service technician, however, to what degree should be discussed before hand which was not done in the OP's situation.

First, no discussion regarding who will be driving the car is a problem. Just because you drive your car into an alignment shop does not authorize them to seize total control. Second if someone is going to drive the car how is it going to be a person that doesn't even speak english (assuming you don't speak Spanish)? If someone can't speak to the owner regarding the handling characteristics of the car what was the point? I wouldn't care if the guy was the best alignment tech on the planet earth. If he can't communicate with me, end of story. Third, the driver's inability to drive the car properly (hitting the front end on the lower part of the driveway) says he hasn't dealt with many discerning customers.

Last but not least, many people have their opinions about how to "treat" a car. It absolutely does not matter what other people think, only what you think and how you care for your car. If an owner doesn't want to make compromises then that is their position. Whomever thinks differently can go buy their own NSX and let other people drive it. Bottom line if you start making compromises you end up with the OP's situation. I feel bad for your experience. Next time think twice before relinquishing those keys:smile:

Last edited:
Back