• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy Shorai Battery and CNC Machined Battery Tray Package - 7 pound setup - Direct bolt on

Actually - I'm not concerned with the weight difference between the metal vs carbon fiber but rather the aesthetics of it. Just trying to buy once instead of buying this set and having to buy another set on the next release. =)

qmeme_1372204368431_66_zps25b42df5.jpg

We are in the middle of making the first batch, we should have them done by next week. It's going to come down to battery availability from Shorai and the anodizing schedule for the anodized buyers. I'll have a better estimate after I order the batteries tomorrow.

Here's a little video I made showing the machining process of the top of the NA1 tray.

hey Colin how much for the bracket and terminal posts I have the battery already?
cheers

Just made this little comparison chart:
9144548147_7ebe5fcab0_z.jpg

Hey Colin,

Not trying to take anything away from the great stuff you're doing.

Just want your opinion, what is your take on the Odyssey's:

680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
525 cranking amps for 20 seconds

"Cold Cranking Amps: For all the power, durability, and life of our technology, the cca ratings can seem disapointing. That's because the cca ratings are often misunderstood. Odyssey batteries are SLI (starting, lighting and ignition), so if you are looking for a starting or reserve battery the cold cranking numbers can be irrelevant.
The "standard" cca test measures the output of a battery for 30 seconds of crank at 0 degrees with the ending voltage of the battery being 7.2v. Some companies use 15 or 20 seconds and some companies use 32 degrees which can make for better results.
A vehicles starter isn't designed to withstand 30 seconds of cranking so we feel the batteries starting power is more important. The Odyssey part numbers represent the 5 second cranking power of the battery.
The PC680 is rated at 680 amps for 5 seconds, 595 amps for 10 seconds, and 525 amps for 20 seconds. Cranking power is even higher for the first four seconds. Similar sized lead acid batteries are only rated at 180 - 220 amps."

Once again, just want an honest opinon. (and it is nice that the Shorai has a higher capacity!)

I bought a nsx and dropped it off at a performance shop before i got to dig into it. But where is the battery location?

Thanks for the excellent response thus far, we are very happy with the enthusiasm for our product, and are elated to be providing this for Prime and fellow NSX owners. As we were making the trays yesterday I had a feeling of "Wow, we're actually producing parts for the NSX..." It's a pretty crazy feeling.

hey Colin how much for the bracket and terminal posts I have the battery already?
cheers

I am going to discuss this with my business partner, as we have built in the cost as a package with the battery, so the cost of the tray itself is pretty high when it's "a la carte"... I will PM you once I have a better answer.

Hey Colin,

Not trying to take anything away from the great stuff you're doing.

Just want your opinion, what is your take on the Odyssey's:

680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
525 cranking amps for 20 seconds

"Cold Cranking Amps: For all the power, durability, and life of our technology, the cca ratings can seem disapointing. That's because the cca ratings are often misunderstood. Odyssey batteries are SLI (starting, lighting and ignition), so if you are looking for a starting or reserve battery the cold cranking numbers can be irrelevant.
The "standard" cca test measures the output of a battery for 30 seconds of crank at 0 degrees with the ending voltage of the battery being 7.2v. Some companies use 15 or 20 seconds and some companies use 32 degrees which can make for better results.
A vehicles starter isn't designed to withstand 30 seconds of cranking so we feel the batteries starting power is more important. The Odyssey part numbers represent the 5 second cranking power of the battery.
The PC680 is rated at 680 amps for 5 seconds, 595 amps for 10 seconds, and 525 amps for 20 seconds. Cranking power is even higher for the first four seconds. Similar sized lead acid batteries are only rated at 180 - 220 amps."

Once again, just want an honest opinon. (and it is nice that the Shorai has a higher capacity!)

CCAs are just one method of testing batteries, and as far as I know, battery manufacturers have to run these tests and publish their results. I'm not exactly sure as to why CCAs have become the standard to compare battery strength. I think it's because it shows how batteries will perform in a cold setting, which, if a battery can perform well in the cold, then it should perform well when it's warm. That being said, I'm sure Odyssey is telling the truth about their regular cranking amps, but unfortunately regular cranking amps are not what is displayed on the batteries themselves. I'm curious what all battery's regular cranking amps are when run through this new standard that Odyssey is putting their batteries through. I'd surmise that regular cranking amps would be higher than CCAs across the board for all batteries. Really though, I'd love to hear more info from an actual battery expert.

- - - Updated - - -

*Order Update*

I just placed an order for 27 batteries, the bad news is, they're out of stock, the good news is, they'll be back in stock by the end of next week. This should not pose much of a delay, as since Shorai is located in California, we get their shipments within 2 days.

I also placed an order for 8 chargers, which are out of stock until the 19th of July.

Last edited:
Feels nice to turn these:
9203988070_0233a8f168_c.jpg

Into these NA1 trays:
9201210299_e3a1c36d78_c.jpg

No update on the batteries yet, hopefully I'll have information soon.

Just as an FYI, I'll be mostly out of communication from the 4th until the 7th.

Will the battery recover back up to snuff if it goes completely dead for a while? And what affect will car alarms have on the drain with these batteries? I'm in for one if going from a normal battery to this one won't create an extra worry in that department :) NA1 polished please

Will the battery recover back up to snuff if it goes completely dead for a while? And what affect will car alarms have on the drain with these batteries? I'm in for one if going from a normal battery to this one won't create an extra worry in that department :) NA1 polished please

I've run mine down to the point where it wouldn't even turn the motor over. I was able to recover it with the Shorai charger. It's obviously not recommended to let your battery get that low, but that's the same with any kind of battery. If you think you are going to run the risk of over discharging your battery, I'd highly suggest getting the charger as well.

In regards to your car alarm question, that is going to all depend on how much your alarm draws, and how often you drive your car. If you have a micrometer, testing at rest draw is quite easy. I've been treating my battery as a normal battery and haven't had a problem. That being said, it does have a lower capacity than the oem, so your mileage may vary depending on your driving habits. Weekly starts have been absolutely no problem for me personally, and I'll plug it into the charger if it has been sitting for more than 10 days. But I do that with all my cars.

I've run mine down to the point where it wouldn't even turn the motor over. I was able to recover it with the Shorai charger. It's obviously not recommended to let your battery get that low, but that's the same with any kind of battery. If you think you are going to run the risk of over discharging your battery, I'd highly suggest getting the charger as well.

In regards to your car alarm question, that is going to all depend on how much your alarm draws, and how often you drive your car. If you have a micrometer, testing at rest draw is quite easy. I've been treating my battery as a normal battery and haven't had a problem. That being said, it does have a lower capacity than the oem, so your mileage may vary depending on your driving habits. Weekly starts have been absolutely no problem for me personally, and I'll plug it into the charger if it has been sitting for more than 10 days. But I do that with all my cars.

Ok I'll give it a shot. Put me down for a black one (changed my mind) and a charger please. Thank you

I'm in. The Vatozone battery under the hood is dying a slow, Hollywood death.

NA1, black please. But I said as much in the Paypal notification. :) Is the Shorai charger the only way to "recover" from near-flat or will a good tender pull it out too?

Back