• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

sick of work

I quite like my job actually... if I were to be independently wealthy, I wouldn't give a second thought about whether I'd still be there. I'd still go in every day. Here's hoping I get to test that claim someday :).

You know, it's very strange. I have a job that I absolutely love as well.

I had a dream last night that I had won the lottery but I still wanted to do my job.

I hope I get to test your claim someday as well. Knock on wood. :smile:

LOL, quote from yahoo news about mega millions winner.

"You have a better chance of being hit by lightning at the same place and time every day for a week" than winning Mega Millions, Roogow said.

I don't hate my job, but I'm not at all happy w/ it. I'm surrounded by people content to be drone for their entire working life, and are happy just to have an office job where they can discusss what coupons they clipped over the weekend. What I do there is mind-numbing for the most part, and very repetitive. I drive in monday through friday wondering "Why did I waste my time going to college for a management and organizational development degree if the majority of my time is going to be spent checking the job status for an account. I really want to do my own thing, but do not have the financial ability to do so. Time to start trading favors so I can start something on the cheap maybe. It's so depressing. I just turned 30, and other than a great marriage and a bachelor's degree, I haven't seemed to accomplish anything yet.

damn, i've only been out of school 2 years - that's not a good sign heh

It's not really a bad sign either. You've only been out of school for two years, which means you still have many more years of positive work experiences ahead of you.

I've had eight jobs and two major six-month "opportunity" projects since I graduated college 10 years ago. They've all been at the same company. The first three years (and first three jobs) had me working + commuting about 14-16hrs/day, but I learned alot about what kind of person I wanted to be at work. Once I figured that out, I got myself into the right jobs. The last seven years have been awesome and I've loved my last five jobs.

Take this time to figure out what you want your work life to be and start working toward that.

I don't hate my job, but I'm not at all happy w/ it. ...It's so depressing. I just turned 30, and other than a great marriage and a bachelor's degree, I haven't seemed to accomplish anything yet.

It's normal to feel that way when you turn 30.

Gauge your accomplishments on how well you are doing in life, not your job.
First, you have a great marriage. 1/2 of the people in marriages in the United States can't even say that. Second, you have a college degree. Most people don't have that either. Third you have a job - one that you are not thrilled with, but one that probably doesn't get in the way of your marriage or personal life.

My take is "work is work". I've told every one of my bosses "I don't care what you want me to do (as long as it's not illegal, immoral or unsafe), just pay me, so that I can do the things I like to do when I'm not here."

Decide which is more important to you so that you can enjoy your 30's and prepare for your 40's. And hopefully you can retire in your 50's.
1. Do you live to work or
2. Do you work to live

If you work to live, then everything else will fall into place. :smile:

It's normal to feel that way when you turn 30.

Gauge your accomplishments on how well you are doing in life, not your job.
First, you have a great marriage. 1/2 of the people in marriages in the United States can't even say that. Second, you have a college degree. Most people don't have that either. Third you have a job - one that you are not thrilled with, but one that probably doesn't get in the way of your marriage or personal life.

My take is "work is work". I've told every one of my bosses "I don't care what you want me to do (as long as it's not illegal, immoral or unsafe), just pay me, so that I can do the things I like to do when I'm not here."

Decide which is more important to you so that you can enjoy your 30's and prepare for your 40's. And hopefully you can retire in your 50's.
1. Do you live to work or
2. Do you work to live

If you work to live, then everything else will fall into place. :smile:

where I am at now does not pay enough to "work to live", and I'm out of advancement potential until the lab manager retires (not happening soon). And everyone around me laughs when I mention I want "this or that" and say "You're only 30. What's the rush?"

The rush is that there in no guarantee that I'll be here tomorrow. And I feel that I have more to offer an employer, but they don't seem to want it. My extra efforts are met by silence. I need something more rewarding...

Crazy, I have been thinking of quitting my work this week. I used to love working every day, but lately I don't even have the motivation to wake up. I sell used cars. The dealership is a very large operation, they have 3 other stores, with over thousands of vehicles. My location has 7 salesman including myself. I have NEVER seen so many snakes in one place. On top of that management is cheap! I have been in the business for 4 years and am SICK OF IT. I haven't had a vacation in that period of time either. SO I was thinking of taking some time off and open a business. Just been really stressed lately....

Crazy, I have been thinking of quitting my work this week. I used to love working every day, but lately I don't even have the motivation to wake up. I sell used cars. The dealership is a very large operation, they have 3 other stores, with over thousands of vehicles. My location has 7 salesman including myself. I have NEVER seen so many snakes in one place. On top of that management is cheap! I have been in the business for 4 years and am SICK OF IT. I haven't had a vacation in that period of time either. SO I was thinking of taking some time off and open a business. Just been really stressed lately....

I have some retail sales experience from my younger years, and I never liked that type of work environment. It is impossible to develop good working relationships, let alone friendships; in an environment whereas most of your peers would stick it to you for an extra 2% commission any day of the week.

Particularly at the top tiers- people don't often get to the top by being mother Teresa. It is definitely the exception whereas those types of tighter sales environments develop and maintain a good reputation for taking care of their own over the long haul.

The rule is usually cut-throat high turn-around. As economies scale and globalization becomes more pervasive, my opinion is that finding an employer that really takes care of its employees is getting harder.

If you can afford it, I suggest working for a small company (5 to 10 people) in an industry you are interested in. The pay is usually horrible at first (make sure you are equity/profit sharing), but from there you can help build the company to something great or discover a niche activity within the business that you excel at. It can lead to great things - being on the ground floor of a large company, starting your own competing business, complimentary business, whatever.

At large companies your role is so narrowly defined that it's hard to learn what it takes to do it on your own.

vu_yacht_1.jpg

Come to my Seminar :wink:
I remembered those Tom Vu infomercials.
Tom Vu's quotes are pretty funny.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Vu
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0stwb6yy8uo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0stwb6yy8uo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rPyrx7d1h7A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rPyrx7d1h7A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Didn't he get arrested for fraud?

I like my job too! That said, I'm currently on a vacation here in Hilton Head Island, SC at a stunningly beautiful resort, with my wonderful wife & daughter. I wouldn't object to being in a financial position where I didn't have to work, but that's not my reality. I'm looking into buying a business with some other folks in order to try to start generating some passive income. We'll see whether it works out that way....

Ah, I lived there 1/2 my life! I'm jealous.

oh. i almost forgot. my job blows haha.

I remembered those Tom Vu infomercials.
Tom Vu's quotes are pretty funny.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Vu
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0stwb6yy8uo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0stwb6yy8uo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rPyrx7d1h7A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rPyrx7d1h7A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Didn't he get arrested for fraud?
I bet his 3 little words are no money down

well everyone, i am actually happy to say that i got fired yesterday. anyone who read my rant further up in this thread will understand how badly it was to work there. right at the end, it was clear to me that my sole manager still had no idea what i did on a daily basis and assumed that if i wasn't at my desk then i was either on extended smoke breaks or skipping out. this of course despite the fact that my job placed me in our datacenters for half of a working day, and he could just have easily checked the surveillance cams. they really shot themselves in the foot as things were so backed up already, the one remaining guy who worked the same position will be unable to catch up with orders.

i think i'm going to aim for a smaller startup company now. our city hosts quite a few innovative companies such as ITIVA, so i'd be looking for something more in that area than data hosting which is what i previously did.

where I am at now does not pay enough to "work to live", and I'm out of advancement potential until the lab manager retires (not happening soon). And everyone around me laughs when I mention I want "this or that" and say "You're only 30. What's the rush?"

The rush is that there in no guarantee that I'll be here tomorrow. And I feel that I have more to offer an employer, but they don't seem to want it. My extra efforts are met by silence. I need something more rewarding...

It may be time for you to look for another company. If you are not happy where you are, then find a place where you will be happy. Just don't sacrifice your personal life and your marriage for work/money.

well everyone, i am actually happy to say that i got fired yesterday.

this of course despite the fact that my job placed me in our datacenters for half of a working day.

i think i'm going to aim for a smaller startup company now. our city hosts quite a few innovative companies such as ITIVA, so i'd be looking for something more in that area than data hosting which is what i previously did.

Even if you look to get out of the hosting field, you have data center experience and w/ the shortage of data center space, power, etc, your skills should be in high demand. With the growth in Web 2.0 companies, the increase in e-commerce, the push for paid internet advertising, etc, knowing how things run at a data center is good experience. Best of luck w/ the new job search. You'll probably land something good very soon.

Even if you look to get out of the hosting field, you have data center experience and w/ the shortage of data center space, power, etc, your skills should be in high demand. With the growth in Web 2.0 companies, the increase in e-commerce, the push for paid internet advertising, etc, knowing how things run at a data center is good experience. Best of luck w/ the new job search. You'll probably land something good very soon.

Thanks. I'm going to try finding something that'll use more of my software skills. I have moderate programming experience, but I can be considered an expert with virtualization software (virtuozzo, MS virtual server) and creating solutions based on virtual environments. My former employer shared a floor of the building with a media delivery company which is apparently looking for people who excel at certain fields. I think I'll call them up to see what they say. For now I'm just taking it easy and getting some exercise while the weather is good.

If you can afford it, I suggest working for a small company (5 to 10 people) in an industry you are interested in. The pay is usually horrible at first (make sure you are equity/profit sharing), but from there you can help build the company to something great or discover a niche activity within the business that you excel at. It can lead to great things - being on the ground floor of a large company, starting your own competing business, complimentary business, whatever.

At large companies your role is so narrowly defined that it's hard to learn what it takes to do it on your own.
delt,
great advice! these are where i've spent the majority of my working career. i'm now 54 and have worked as an employee for 5 software companies, each of whom was acquired (out of success) or ipo'd. each new job brought new challenges, responsibilities and financial rewards that i probably wouldn't have been exposed to at larger, "more professional" companies for quite some time.

i'm not sure smaller companies are right for everyone, but for the right folks, they're a great place to be.

delt,
great advice! these are where i've spent the majority of my working career. i'm now 54 and have worked as an employee for 5 software companies, each of whom was acquired (out of success) or ipo'd. each new job brought new challenges, responsibilities and financial rewards that i probably wouldn't have been exposed to at larger, "more professional" companies for quite some time.

i'm not sure smaller companies are right for everyone, but for the right folks, they're a great place to be.

Great to hear! I'm following in your footsteps!

I did a similar thing a little while ago.

I've been working for Brinks Armoured Services for over 3 years, and I decided that was enough. The job wasn't stimulating, I was bored and there was no room to advance.

So I quit a month ago, and got a car job. I'm a service advisor at a BMW dealership in town.

Unfortunately, it's the same crap. It's not stimulating, the money's a little better, but it's been 4 weeks and I'm not looking forward to work at all. That's a pretty garbage situation at 23, IMO.

So now, I'm doing something I should have done at 18 right out of highschool:

Joining the Army. :D I'm filling out my Infantry application this week, and hopefully they can process me quickly. I realize a combat tour in Afghanistan is a pretty extreme way of spicing up your life, but it's the kick in the ass I need to find some direction in my life.

I take about 1 year off every 2-3 years of work. I dont need the money anymore and work for me is a place to come in gets some lunch and talk with others. When I traded full time it sucked but the money was great. Setup you self where you have all you stuff paid for, dont go out and spend eveything, be your OWN banker. Also I trade at work now so I have the best of both worlds :)

Back