• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smallest Production Car?

I was thinking of picking up a "long term" project car to work on over time. I have always liked the concept of a small car w/HUGE hp and torque. That said, anyone know what the smallest "obtainable" production car is out there?

The winner so far is the '58-'61 Austin Healy Bugeye Sprite at 120" and 1362 lbs.
Can anyone top that?

BTW, the new Mini Cooper is 146" and 2200+ lbs.

I was just in Paris, and these little cars were everywhere:
http://www.smartcar.com/

Really cute, but fairly gutless from what I was told. I was commenting to a French friend that they'd be real useful in San Francisco (because of the parking situation), but he commented that they would no way make it up SF's hills. (Down, OTOH, would be no problem...)

-Bob

Originally posted by flaminio:

Really cute, but fairly gutless from what I was told. I was commenting to a French friend that they'd be real useful in San Francisco (because of the parking situation), but he commented that they would no way make it up SF's hills. (Down, OTOH, would be no problem...)

-Bob

If everyone drove these little cars almost every street could be opened up into four lanes. I would then be able to pass the old farts that do 40 on the back roads. This is assuming that they make a SC or TT model.

This is a fairly new car plus it would be hard to modify it to handle a V-8 maybe?

Anyway, I was thinking more in line with something I can get fairly cheap <$3k and work on over time.

Ideas? Think SMALL

I saw an old Toyata from the late 70's, early 80's while coming into work today. Reminded me of the older Datsuns. Small, light, and a sleeper! (4 seats).

Bugeye Sprite is definitely one of the smallest. Other really small cars like the Honda Jazz and Lancia A112 are not much bigger, but they are bigger.

The Peel P50 may be smaller - not many made so probably hard to obtain. There were a few variations including a 3-wheel bubble-top car. Only 50cc motor (hence the P50 name) though.

What about the Mercedes Smart Car?? I think it's only about 100" I believe. Plus it's current production so it should be reasonably easy to get one. You may have trouble registering it in the US though.

Originally posted by Lud:
Bugeye Sprite is definitely one of the smallest. Other really small cars like the Honda Jazz and Lancia A112 are not much bigger, but they are bigger.

The Peel P50 may be smaller - not many made so probably hard to obtain. There were a few variations including a 3-wheel bubble-top car. Only 50cc motor (hence the P50 name) though.

What about the Mercedes Smart Car?? I think it's only about 100" I believe. Plus it's current production so it should be reasonably easy to get one. You may have trouble registering it in the US though.

A current Mercedes and <$3000 is an oxymoron.

RE: The P50...didn't Steve Erkyl drive one of those? After an anticipated long project, I have to not be embarrassed to drive it! (Even though I think it was a BMW!)

It's looking more like the Sprite or maybe just a really fast go-kart,we'll see.

Originally posted by flaminio:

-Bob
I travel to paris often on business and love those smart cars.my wife wants one to add to the collection but my french co-workers said they cant be imported.dont know if that is a fact.dont they look like a emac on wheels.that is the smallest car ive ever seen makes a cooper look big

NYCNSX, go north on I95, get off exit 9 in Stamford. Take left off exit, take right at light. Two blocks down on right is a Mini dealership. Fun to look at, and they let people take drives, though I haven't had time. There are a lot of Minis showing up now around the area.

Originally posted by McAttack:
A current Mercedes and <$3000 is an oxymoron.

Hey you didn't state a price limit in your query! I think they are around US$12000 new and there are used ones available now, so while $3000 is probably out of the question for a while, you should definitely be able to find one for around twice that.

RE: The P50...didn't Steve Erkyl drive one of those? After an anticipated long project, I have to not be embarrassed to drive it! (Even though I think it was a BMW!)

You also didn't state that you didn't want the dorkiest car ever produced!
biggrin.gif

The Smart (made by a joint venture between Mercedes and Swatch) is a real POS! I drive it quite often and it has a very small turbocharged enginge with a sequential 6 gears transimission, two seats and almost no trunk. It is quite good n case of accident too. So why POS? Because it tops at 75mph that you reach after about 30s... there is also a lag of about two seconds evertime you upshift or downshift. Gets tiring very fast but it is the car my garage gives me more often when I take the NSX there for service... speaking about fairness!
wink.gif

But worst thing is that on the autobahn, everybody passes that you, will make the car shake! No joke!
frown.gif

Steve Urkel's Isotta (wasn't that the name?) had much more fashion!

You guys are KILLING me!!!!!! LOL!

OK, "smallest production car" aside for a moment, what I'm looking to do is either build a kit car or restore something to race. This is going to be one of those ongoing projects that could take 3-5 years. I haven't done this since I was 18 and am kind of excited at the challenge.

I'm literally thinking of something like putting a 302 in an MGB or getting a Dino kit car. Anyone have any experience with building vs restoring?

I consider my mechanical ability above average on PRE computer cars.

Oh yeah, one other thing. I will have a TBD self imposed MAX on the total cost. Forces you to be more creative this way.

...what I'm looking to do is either build a kit car or restore something to race...

Extremely light weight, capable of big horsepower, MAY handle good enough to race.

imcar.jpg

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 20 August 2002).]

What happenned when you clicked on the above link?
confused.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 13 August 2002).]

Exactly! Small, Lightweight, Big Horsepower, able to be raced...

Sorry - it was just my feeble attempt at humor (that's why my original reply was marked with a
wink.gif
)

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 13 August 2002).]

Originally posted by Michigan NSX:
Exactly! Small, Lightweight, Big Horsepower, able to be raced...

Sorry - it was just my feeble attempt at humor (that's why my original reply was marked with a
wink.gif
)

Sawright!

small cars:

lotus elan (the first [real] one - gotta be a ragtop) - small, light (unless the body's become 90% bondo over the years), and can be made to go FAST.

if you want extremely small i'd go with the fiat 500 (or is it the 5000?) - you can get them in the US for maybe 4 grand, but i'm not sure how fast you could get it to go...

and for small/cool i'd check out the suziki cappucino (sp???) - no longer made and never for sale stateside, but still spiffy - looks like a 3/4-scale mazda miata!

or, if your priorities skew toward fast, i'd order an ultima GTR "kit" from across the pond and go from 0-60mi/hr in 3.5 sec :)

I don't know if it meets your criteria but my son has a Pontiac Fiero and there are a number of V8 conversion kits already available, most of which are likely do it yourself. I'm not sure the car is that light (although the body panels are lightweight plastic) but it is quite short yet the engine bay easily swallows a V8 and actually doesn't add much weight. Whatever extra weight there is is centrally located so the vehicle dynamics are still good. Although the earlier years had suspensions that are probably mediocre, there are kits available with neopreme bushings. You can probably easily pick up a Fiero under $3K, especially if the engine already needs replacing but you might want to look for an 87/88 Formula model..I think they have the upgraded suspension which reportedly was a joint effort with Lotus

------------------
91 Blk/Blk

This is a fairly new car plus it would be hard to modify it to handle a V-8 maybe?

Anyway, I was thinking more in line with something I can get fairly cheap <$3k and work on over time.

Ideas? Think SMALL

Get a Datsun 1600 or 2000 roadsters

Originally posted by NSX2398:
...Although the earlier years had suspensions that are probably mediocre...

I believe the Fieros front suspension is off of a Pontiac Citation and that it's rear suspension is the Chevettes front suspension!
eek.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Back