• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So I just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S III

The two things which bug me are the battery life (with all antennas fired up and full brightness I get about 7-8 hours), in power-saving mode this stretches to about 14-16 hours, then again, I make a lot of calls. For reference, the iPhone 4 would last about 14-16 hours without any power saving mode, then again, the GS3 is 4G LTE, with GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, and many apps using its location services - it's kind of amazing it gets the battery life it does.

Coming from the first Androids that had battery life issues, I've learned the tricks.
I get 2-3 days out of my new EVOLTE which is a slightly faster phone than the new Samsung everyones talking about.
The MAIN trick is to turn off your radios when not using them. That will bring your battery drain down to about 1% every 2-3 hours.
AKA, in 8 hours your battery should only drop ~4-5%

To do this trick w/o headache, create widgets that you can turn things on/off with 1 click.

Last edited:
I've switched to the AT&T visual voicemail app, thanks for the tip. Just wish it was integrated. I've got Go Launcher and Go Locker installed. Things I'm still trying to find

Lock Screen that has missed calls, messages, links that directly go to visual voicemail, camera, making a call. I'm using the Dark theme for Go Locker right now.

Also wish RunKeeper had a widget so I could set up a page for running with both Pandora and Runkeeper on it.

Coming from the first Androids that had battery life issues, I've learned the tricks.
:
The MAIN trick is to turn off your radios when not using them. That will bring your battery drain down to about 1% every 2-3 hours.

I hear you can get even better battery life if you turn the phone off completely ;)

In all seriousness, the user should not have to jump through hoops to make it usable -- it should just work, and you should always be connected. What's the point of a smart phone if you have to disable WiFi, BlueTooth, GPS and Cellular service to get good battery life?

If the radio's or the large screen or inefficient OS or whatever takes too much power and there isn't a sufficiently large battery to compensate then it's a poor design. There are always engineering/usability tradeoffs -- the end-user shouldn't have to sacrifice usability because of bad design decisions.

There are lots of products that look great in their marketing material with all the checkboxes but if they deliver a poor experience in practice, then the design is flawed.

So I just moved to the S3 from an iPhone and .... you know, I'm not really digging it yet. The UI is a clusterf**k. It's not intuitive and it's difficult to find the stuff I want. There is no built in visual voicemail (the aftermarket apps don't integrate with the regular phone application) and I can never seem to easily locate how many calls missed, voicemails I have, new messages, new emails, etc. I ran a 5K today and I typically use Pandora for music and Runkeeper and switch back and forth between the two. The 'task manager' was too much vs the simple icons on the iphone.
It will take a bit of time to get use to the Android system coming from the simple iOS. Hoepfully you'll see the benefits of it.
And to get access to all your missed stuff use the pull down notification curtain.

The two things which bug me are the battery life (with all antennas fired up and full brightness I get about 7-8 hours), in power-saving mode this stretches to about 14-16 hours, then again, I make a lot of calls. For reference, the iPhone 4 would last about 14-16 hours without any power saving mode, then again, the GS3 is 4G LTE, with GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, and many apps using its location services - it's kind of amazing it gets the battery life it does.
I can't believe you get such good battery life. I am using NFC tags to turn off all radios when I get to work and by the end of the day I'm down to 15%, although I do text/whatsapp a lot and I am on 4G LTE.

Last edited:
I hear you can get even better battery life if you turn the phone off completely ;)

In all seriousness, the user should not have to jump through hoops to make it usable -- it should just work, and you should always be connected. What's the point of a smart phone if you have to disable WiFi, BlueTooth, GPS and Cellular service to get good battery life?

If the radio's or the large screen or inefficient OS or whatever takes too much power and there isn't a sufficiently large battery to compensate then it's a poor design. There are always engineering/usability tradeoffs -- the end-user shouldn't have to sacrifice usability because of bad design decisions.

There are lots of products that look great in their marketing material with all the checkboxes but if they deliver a poor experience in practice, then the design is flawed.

THANK YOU!!!!!

I've been saying this since the day I got my EVO 4G 2 1/2 years ago! I was one of the first ones to get it with Sprint. The guy at the store told me to turn off my 4G because it will drain my battery within hours. He was right and I've pretty much never used it, but I was paying a $10/month mandatory charge for that 4G service just because I bought that phone. And he tells me to turn it off??

Hours of searching on Google to find some tips/tricks to further help with battery life mostly tell you to turn off GPS, etc... when not in use. Like you said, what's the point of a smart phone if I have to turn off the cool features? But it sounds as if these newer phones are finally starting to install newer batteries that have the capacity needed to run everything.

The guy at the store told me to turn off my 4G because it will drain my battery within hours. He was right and I've pretty much never used it, but I was paying a $10/month mandatory charge for that 4G service just because I bought that phone. And he tells me to turn it off??

You know Apple gets a lot of flack for being late to the party with 3G, or LTE or larger screens, quad-core CPU's, higher clocks, pre-emptive multitasking, etc. The bottom line is that nothing comes for free -- there are always tradeoffs. It's EASY to throw everything into an enclosure and check off every feature box. It's HARD to get the most relevant features in, while respecting battery and form factor constraints, and still provide an excellent end-user experience.

Last edited:
IMO the $10 charge for 4G/LTE is ridiculous, especially if you cannot use it without killing your battery life. The carriers should waive the fee if you have that feature turned off.

They used to call it a charge for 4G. Now it is a "premium data" charge. I found this out when I got my wife her iPhone that isn't even 4G, but still had to pay it. Either way, it's still cheaper than other plans out there for us.

They used to call it a charge for 4G. Now it is a "premium data" charge. I found this out when I got my wife her iPhone that isn't even 4G, but still had to pay it.

What carrier is that? What a load of B.S.

I'm thankful that my work pays for my phone (4S), so I haven't had a cell phone bill in over 10 years. If I had to pay my own bill, I may very well rock a dumb phone plan with my iPhone (even though it's harder to get away with that these days, from what I hear).

What carrier is that? What a load of B.S.

I'm thankful that my work pays for my phone (4S), so I haven't had a cell phone bill in over 10 years. If I had to pay my own bill, I may very well rock a dumb phone plan with my iPhone (even though it's harder to get away with that these days, from what I hear).

It's Sprint. The crappy part is that my wife and I share a plan. $10/month x 2= $240 a year. I use to be more bent about it, because we turn 4G off, 3G is super slow for anything so we mostly use WiFi anywhere we go at home or work. Then I started using Pandora anytime I'm in my car and stream away on 3G.

To clarify, I'm not talking about turning off Cellular service. 3G is different than what brings in SMS and phone calls.

Second, these phones do work without doing anything....
It will make it as long as any other phone out there. Over a day which is better than an iPhone.

But it's like saying you shouldn't have to turn off the lights when you leave a room or you shouldn't have to turn off you car when you get home.
Certain things burn energy. A radio that's transmitting to a tower that's miles away is going to burn energy. A bluetooth radio that you never use is a waste to leave on. GPS that you use once a month is a waste to leave on.
It's a BENEFIT to be able to control such things if the end-user is up for it.
Personally, I would rather have double the battery life. AND/OR the ability to save my battery when traveling far away, or when I might need it.

Like you said, what's the point of a smart phone if I have to turn off the cool features?

The point of smartphones is to leave 4G running while you're sleeping or at work all day?
What would happen if you left your laptop running on battery all day?
I just don't get it. Turn things off and you double your battery life.
People act like they would be happier if someone removed the light switch.

They used to call it a charge for 4G. Now it is a "premium data" charge. I found this out when I got my wife her iPhone that isn't even 4G, but still had to pay it. Either way, it's still cheaper than other plans out there for us.

Yeah that bothered me too. But even with the extra $10, you're still saving probably $1,000/yr over Verizon with 2 phones.

Last edited:
The Galaxy actually sounds great but I'm surprised nobody here has yet joked about NSX owners focusing on speed, size, & entry cost while overlooking the big picture items that still make the iPhone pretty compelling. I.e., is the fact that a new phone with a cheaper entry point, faster 0-60 time, and bigger wheels really enough to convince someone that it's better than the overall ownership experience of an NSX? I mean, iphone? :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fanboi, I'm not happy about their abandoning a 6 year old Mac Pro for future OS updates, and their patent trolling may eventually turn the tides against them. But it's awful hard to overlook the overall ownership experience of an Apple phone with such an intuitive/clean/original interface and very nice functional tie-ins with itunes, appletv, and email/calendar syncing across iphone, tablet, computer, and icloud.

Next time I'm on vacation, I'll be sure to rent and give the Galaxy a try. :) And if any of you Galaxy owners help me find my NSX, I'll buy you a $100 android app card. TGIF ya'll!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Hours of searching on Google to find some tips/tricks to further help with battery life mostly tell you to turn off GPS, etc... when not in use. Like you said, what's the point of a smart phone if I have to turn off the cool features? But it sounds as if these newer phones are finally starting to install newer batteries that have the capacity needed to run everything.

You know the amount of effort to turn all those features on and off is not different than you having to slide to unlock your iphone. Android makes it simple to control these features instead of having to jump into settings like on the iphone.

Does it bother you that you have to swipe to unlock your iphone?

Second, these phones do work without doing anything....
It will make it as long as any other phone out there. Over a day which is better than an iPhone.

That's the whole problem -- they don't. There's nothing magical about Android (or iOS for that matter) or the components being used by the different manufacturers. 4G burns more power than 3G which burns more power than 2G. A larger screen burns more power. More radios, more CPU cores, higher clocks, more GPU cores, etc. all burn more power. Nothing comes for free -- but you can be smart about it in the design.

If you're going to have a device with all of that, and you don't do anything special in the OS to manage it, you will burn more power. As it stands today, Apple does a much better job of managing power at a low level than Android does. There are downsides to Apple's decision in terms of how they handle multi-tasking or notifications, but the upside is that they do a better job of managing power.

But it's like saying you shouldn't have to turn off the lights when you leave a room or you shouldn't have to turn off you car when you get home.
Certain things burn energy.

It's not that simple. I contend that yes, the lights should turn off and your car should turn off. In fact, this already exists today: There are cars that will turn off the gas engine when at a stoplight and sensors in rooms that turn off the lights if nobody is in the room.

This type of thing happens today in hardware as well. CPU or GPU cores that are idle get clock or power gated. Different parts of the chips are on different voltage islands, and there are hardware sensors that detect the load on the various cores and interfaces to set the power states and control clocks and voltages based on activity/load.

So some of this is just a matter of making components more power efficient or smarter, and some of it is making the OS smarter. Things like detecting the throughput and switching down to lower power states on the device. If you don't need 4G throughput right now do you need to be running at the higher voltage/clocks, or can you scale it down to 2G?

My point is that the USER should not have to worry about all of this. Devices need to be smarter, because the technology exists today. Not all hardware takes advantage of leading edge process technologies, or power gating, or voltage islands, etc to reduce power. Not all software and OS functionality is written in a manner to optimize for power. It's possible, but requires a lot of extra effort. The bottom line is that the USER should not have to care about any of this. They should not have to explicitly disable ANY functionality -- it should JUST WORK.

It's like MacBookPro's and their GPU switching. Apple gives you a powerful discrete GPU to get the best performance, but unlike Windows laptops with similar GPU's, it doesn't mean that you get crap battery life. They intelligently switch (completely seamlessly) between the discrete and integrated GPU based on your activity.. and they can do this multiple times per second. So you get the battery life of the integrated GPU's, and you get the performance of the discrete GPU's. Best of both worlds, and the user doesn't have to explicitly enable/disable anything -- it just works!

Take it from an X iPhone guy (just 1 month on the galaxy) it is super easy. There's even programs like easy battery saver that makes it even easier

The best thing about the iphone... is the super-sick unlimited data plan they transferred over to my new Android phone :tongue:

That's the whole problem -- they don't. There's nothing magical about Android (or iOS for that matter) or the components being used by the different manufacturers. 4G burns more power than 3G which burns more power than 2G. A larger screen burns more power. More radios, more CPU cores, higher clocks, more GPU cores, etc. all burn more power. Nothing comes for free -- but you can be smart about it in the design.

If you're going to have a device with all of that, and you don't do anything special in the OS to manage it, you will burn more power. As it stands today, Apple does a much better job of managing power at a low level than Android does. There are downsides to Apple's decision in terms of how they handle multi-tasking or notifications, but the upside is that they do a better job of managing power.

It's not that simple. I contend that yes, the lights should turn off and your car should turn off. In fact, this already exists today: There are cars that will turn off the gas engine when at a stoplight and sensors in rooms that turn off the lights if nobody is in the room.

This type of thing happens today in hardware as well. CPU or GPU cores that are idle get clock or power gated. Different parts of the chips are on different voltage islands, and there are hardware sensors that detect the load on the various cores and interfaces to set the power states and control clocks and voltages based on activity/load.

So some of this is just a matter of making components more power efficient or smarter, and some of it is making the OS smarter. Things like detecting the throughput and switching down to lower power states on the device. If you don't need 4G throughput right now do you need to be running at the higher voltage/clocks, or can you scale it down to 2G?

My point is that the USER should not have to worry about all of this. Devices need to be smarter, because the technology exists today. Not all hardware takes advantage of leading edge process technologies, or power gating, or voltage islands, etc to reduce power. Not all software and OS functionality is written in a manner to optimize for power. It's possible, but requires a lot of extra effort. The bottom line is that the USER should not have to care about any of this. They should not have to explicitly disable ANY functionality -- it should JUST WORK.

It's like MacBookPro's and their GPU switching. Apple gives you a powerful discrete GPU to get the best performance, but unlike Windows laptops with similar GPU's, it doesn't mean that you get crap battery life. They intelligently switch (completely seamlessly) between the discrete and integrated GPU based on your activity.. and they can do this multiple times per second. So you get the battery life of the integrated GPU's, and you get the performance of the discrete GPU's. Best of both worlds, and the user doesn't have to explicitly enable/disable anything -- it just works!

We get it. APPLE does everything better than everyone else.

Yeah, well that's why Samsung is in court at the moment.

-J

If that WERE the case, Apple wouldn't need to sue Samsung non stop since they would be no threat.

Apples new strategy. Release 1 phone each year, release one tablet each year. The other 363 days sue the crap out of anything they can think of.

We get it. APPLE does everything better than everyone else.

I never said that -- there's lots of things in that list that Apple needs to do too! Having said that, there ARE things that Apple does better.. because their focus is on end-user experience not just ticking off a feature list.

My point is that users should not have to make concessions ... better design decisions can make many of these issues go away.

I never said that -- there's lots of things in that list that Apple needs to do too! Having said that, there ARE things that Apple does better.. because their focus is on end-user experience not just ticking off a feature list.

My point is that users should not have to make concessions ... better design decisions can make many of these issues go away.

I don't think there is anything wrong with users wanting to turn off things they don't use in order to get better battery life.

That said, android is known for terrible battery life. The s3 seems to be a big improvement and the battery is swappable which is great.

In a perfect world users shouldn't have to make concessions, but current battery tech is not there yet.

I would rather have a 4.2 inch screen vs 4.8 if it means I get an extra hour of battery life.

I have never owned an iphone, had an original Motorola Droid with VZW, then went to Sprint and got an HTC EVO 4g. I can upgrade now, and I was thinking of waiting to see which I like better, the new iphone or the S3... but now my EVO is starting to have some issues and the battery life is taking a complete dump, so I may be getting the S3 real soon.

lol these threads are really amusing... It like a fan-boy slug fest:rolleyes:... In all honesty though Apple products are great cause of as Arshad said the end user experience is stellar (I've had the 2g, 3g and the 4 plus I have an iMac and the wife has the 4s). However as mentioned earlier I very recently switched and it was reluctantly. My iPhone 4 had seen its day (rear face cracked, crashing even after all updates were applied to name a few and out of what went wrong most of it is as a result of my dropping it a gazillion times and not buying the right case for Me to use) and having had the 4 and the next model around the corner I didn't want to get the 4s. I tried to hold out for the 5 but being I use the cell phone for work emails and etc I needed to get a more reliable hand set fast. I was convinced by the Rogers wireless representative to get the S3 as that will be Androids best comparable device with all the latest "bells and whistles"including LTE (which BTW is awesome.. Don't know how I lived without it). After having used the device I have to say I'm a definite subscriber of Android. There is so much customizability with this handset to really make it yours by making it operate in ways that compliments each user. The end user experience has come a long way with Android from their early iterations and phones. With each update they have gotten strides better and being on ice cream sandwich, (aOS version for those who are wondering) I'm genuinely excited for the next update to the OS available to the S3. I would not have e know this about the Android device had I not given it a go (and I'm sure experiencing it for the first extended period of time on an S3 definitely helps the opinion). Another plus is providing you have the patience to put up with adds you can get a lot of the same apps as Apple for free on Android. HOWEVER having had so many Apple products in the past I firmly believe if the 5 came out supporting LTE, a bigger screen than the 4 and the stellar polish I've come to expect from their phones I will likely buy that phone outright and recover some of the cost by selling the S3. Why would I do this? Having so many Apple devices and the cross compatibility features it makes sense for my situation... And as long as key features that I love about the S3 (LTE, Screen Size and other interface related items) are either duplicated or improved on it is the ideal product for me. lol in short both products can safely be called great. It really does come down to what's important to each end user and what they are comfortable with. My long rant :D

Last edited:
I have two reasons why the Galaxy I use is better than the iPhone.

1) Interchangeable batteries. I always have a spare one charged and ready to go.

2) I can add as much memory I want with a micro SD card. I don't have to decide which phone I want to buy based on the memory it holds.

better design decisions can make many of these issues go away.

Steve Jobs was replaced by a panel of old white men, and without this leadership we're seeing core values slip, and product quality decrease. It's like a filmmaker no longer making originals, and instead churning out saw 5, saw 6, saw 7, etc. - at some point people will stop going to see them. Lineage is great, but innovation drives technology.

Let's put a pin in this thread, and come back in 5 years when we're all driving the new NSX hybrid; we can compare iphone 10 to android super-donut.

Back