• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So I just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S III

It's actually the other way around when placing the blame on delayed OS updates. Google pushes it out and then the OEM's (Scam-Sung included) take forever to push the updates to the phones because they need to reskin the update.

You're absolutely correct. I poorly worded my post. I meant to say that while Samsung excels in the hardware side of the business, they are terrible at writing decent software. Without Google, they'd be nothing in the mobile space. If for some reason they piss off Google (or Apple buys Google :biggrin:), Samsung would be SOL given the current state of things.

I just read somewhere that Samsung is getting ready to release the S IV soon. How soon, I have no idea.

It was mentioned in one of the legal articles that Samsung was already into development of the IV, but that's obvious, it didn't say anything beyond that.

It's a been about 6 weeks with this phone a d I. I still working out kinks. I miss meetings due to reminders not being obvious, again I can change this but I shouldn't have to. I still hate volume controls and management every app has its own ui and there are no standards adhered to. I can't just go settings audio and adjust all audio there. I have to give apple credit, the UX is just so much more refined even if there is less flexibility. I miss texts as well. There needs to be more Integration with the lock screen and apps and status.

I just found out that the US spec galaxy S3 has a dual core with 2 gigs of ram, while the international version has 4 cores and 1 gig of ram. Anybody know why that is? Seems strange to do that IMO.

I just found out that the US spec galaxy S3 has a dual core with 2 gigs of ram, while the international version has 4 cores and 1 gig of ram. Anybody know why that is? Seems strange to do that IMO.

Has to do with LTE support and areas of coverage I believe (could be wrong).
It was a significant selling feature for local distribution but to have the phone feature quad core, 2 gigs of ram and LTE would have the phones price point significantly increased so the economics associated with the target demographic was likely also a factor as well

It's a been about 6 weeks with this phone a d I. I still working out kinks. I miss meetings due to reminders not being obvious, again I can change this but I shouldn't have to. I still hate volume controls and management every app has its own ui and there are no standards adhered to. I can't just go settings audio and adjust all audio there. I have to give apple credit, the UX is just so much more refined even if there is less flexibility. I miss texts as well. There needs to be more Integration with the lock screen and apps and status.

The sound settings are extremely easy, just hit the volume rocker, and the settings icon ( looks like a sprocket ) will appear. Hit the sprocket icon and all 3 volume controls will pop up. One for the Ringer, one for the notification, and one for the media.

Regarding the missed text, there is a notification led light, on the lock screen it will tell you how many missed text or calls are there, on the notification bar will tell you exactly all the e mails, etc, etc that you got, and it actually stays in your notification bar unless you clear it. ( it dis appears in ios when you check your notification bar )

I have had android phones and will never go back, their touch screen response is horrible, games are horrible, on my iphone 4 i can upgrade to ios6 without having to get a new phone. People look retarded trying to talk on a galaxy note... I have never had a problem with apple and I'm simply not satisfied with the android usability, feels laggy. Just my opinion...

I have had android phones and will never go back, their touch screen response is horrible, games are horrible, on my iphone 4 i can upgrade to ios6 without having to get a new phone. People look retarded trying to talk on a galaxy note... I have never had a problem with apple and I'm simply not satisfied with the android usability, feels laggy. Just my opinion...

Then you are truely missing out. Unlike iOS every gen of android phones is vastly improved over the last. Don't worry after seeing the same row of icons for another 5 years would get your bored to the point of trying out android again.

If you have never played with the current gen dual/quad core phones running ICS or JB than you don't know what you are missing out on.

I mean the current GS3 is twice as powerful as the GS2 even though they both are dual core, and its got 2gigs of ram. I can have 15+ apps running in the background and still have almost 1 gig left and the phone doesn't even hiccup.

Then you are truely missing out. Unlike iOS every gen of android phones is vastly improved over the last. Don't worry after seeing the same row of icons for another 5 years would get your bored to the point of trying out android again.

If you have never played with the current gen dual/quad core phones running ICS or JB than you don't know what you are missing out on.

I mean the current GS3 is twice as powerful as the GS2 even though they both are dual core, and its got 2gigs of ram. I can have 15+ apps running in the background and still have almost 1 gig left and the phone doesn't even hiccup.

Seriously, why would you want 15+ apps running in the background? :confused:
My iPhone plays music just fine from music player/pandora/etc, while TomTom is running giving me directions, I still get calls/messages while this is happening. Really, I want to know what more you guys are doing that you want multitasking of that sort?? If it's just bragging rights, then that's just silly.

5395237_460s.jpg

Seriously, why would you want 15+ apps running in the background? :confused:
My iPhone plays music just fine from music player/pandora/etc, while TomTom is running giving me directions, I still get calls/messages while this is happening. Really, I want to know what more you guys are doing that you want multitasking of that sort?? If it's just bragging rights, then that's just silly.

I can resume youtube mid video when I receive a call or text, while having my stop watch running on my notification bar while browsing the web ( I use this while I'm resting between sets at the gym ). That alone is probably more simultaneous things than what iOS runs.

Plus when the apps are open in the background and stored in ram, it gets cached so it opens up instantly, but it also saves a few extra steps to just go into the task menu and just select an app that is still opened in the background than just exit the app and having to select it again.

Last edited:
My 2 cents on cases and screen protectors. Don't do it.

#1. You can't scratch glass. Take your key to your screen, it doesn't hurt it. Meanwhile the plastic "screen protector" will scratch and look ridiculous.

#2. Don't get a case. Androids don't break as easy as iPhones. Youtube drop tests. Instead, just get insurance and don't worry about it.

Running it naked is much more enjoyable. You can enjoy a sleek phone instead of a brick.

This. Phones look stupid in those cases.

I can resume youtube mid video when I receive a call or text, while having my stop watch running on my notification bar while browsing the web ( I use this while I'm resting between sets at the gym ). That alone is probably more simultaneous things than what iOS runs.

Plus when the apps are open in the background and stored in ram, it gets cached so it opens up instantly, but it also saves a few extra steps to just go into the task menu and just select an app that is still opened in the background than just exit the app and having to select it again.

so you want to watch youtube videos, make/receive calls/texts, and browse the web while you're at the gym. Right. What about facebook, can't forget social media. :rolleyes:

The only thing I have going on at the gym while working out is music playing, and of course, can't forget to check in on Facebook.

so you want to watch youtube videos, make/receive calls/texts, and browse the web while you're at the gym. Right. What about facebook, can't forget social media. :rolleyes:

The only thing I have going on at the gym while working out is music playing, and of course, can't forget to check in on Facebook.

I take exactly 90 second breaks between sets. I do 18-21 sets when I'm at the gym. When I use my stop watch app, I can see my resting period in real time on the notification bar ( which blows your iOS versions away ). What am I doing while waiting for those 90 seconds? I sometimes watch youtube videos, and I have to stop mid video because my breaks are only 90 seconds. Your telling me that you have never received a call or text while your at the gym?I actually never check in to anywhere on facebook esp when I go to the gym, in fact I like to stay incognito from people I really don't care about.

I obviously need to take 18-21 breaks since that is how much sets I do, so I can either browse the web for a few sets, watch videos, etc etc. My phone is fast enough to transition all of these task in 90 seconds. You get my point? I don't like to waste time ( just sitting around staring at a wall ) when I'm recovering from a set. If you doubt my physique, I can snap a photo just for you * wink *

edit: I can understand you iOS guys can't fathom why I do this, but android guys casual does this without realizing. On iOS, you can't even keep a download active in the background while your doing other stuff for all the apps. We have had better multitasking since android 1.5 ( we are on 4.1 now ), a person switching from iOS to Android needs time to adjust and broaden his horizon on the capabilities of a android handset. If you keep on using it like a limited iOS device than he will never appreciate Android. Once you realize your basically holding a pocket computer in your hand ( for example you can download files from the web browser into your download folder like you would in a desk top, and some crazy bastards have even uploaded, downloaded, and played torrent files directly on to his phone ) the iphone is very much like a toy by comparison.

Last edited:
The sound settings are extremely easy, just hit the volume rocker, and the settings icon ( looks like a sprocket ) will appear. Hit the sprocket icon and all 3 volume controls will pop up. One for the Ringer, one for the notification, and one for the media.

Regarding the missed text, there is a notification led light, on the lock screen it will tell you how many missed text or calls are there, on the notification bar will tell you exactly all the e mails, etc, etc that you got, and it actually stays in your notification bar unless you clear it. ( it dis appears in ios when you check your notification bar )

The iphone has individual app volume. If I turn it all the way down for angry birds for example it remembers that next time I run angry birds. Volume also keeps getting adjusted if I accidentally bump the button on the left, or if I mute the phone with the button on the right and then bump the button on the left. I find the status bar non intuitive as there is SO MUCH JUNK in there that I essentially ignore it. Some apps there is no way to shut this off, and if there is a way, I have to go into each app and dig thru menus. On an iphone it would be implemented under settings, status bar, then list every app under it with ON/OFF for each app.

Believe me, I did NOT want to like the iPhone, I used to say that my epitaph will be 'I have never owned an Apple product'. I want to love the S3, but from a UX perspective, it sucks compared to the iPhone. From a technical perspective and capabilities, it's far superior. Being a techie I have always been one to appreciate function over form, but I'm starting to rethink that in this particular case. I was thinking of moving to the Note 2 when it's released, but I also actually considering the iPhone 5 instead. I just hate the idea of losing all the screen real estate I have.

See that is where we will have to agree to disagree. I guess it is because we are use to which ever platform we started with first. To me it, it is completely counter intuitive to have a master settings that I have to leave an app to make adjustments for.

I mean when you are on your pc, do you make adjustments for each program at a master settings menu? When you load up each game on a console do you make adjustments on a master menu before you boot the game? Why do I have to go into the menu then having to scroll through my list of apps to just make a stupid adjustment?

Wouldn't it make more sense to just hit the physical menu button on your phone when your at the app and just adjust it like how everything else in the world operates? Like you with how android is setup, the way iOS is setup infuriates me. lol

I hear some people complaining about the UI for Android and speaking about the UI on the Galaxy S3 as if it's Android but it's not. The Galaxy S3 runs Touchwiz, not stock Android. Touchwiz is Samsung's modification, you can run many different types of UIs, there's even one that looks like iOS. I prefer stock Android but that's just me.

People coming from Apple and vice versa with Android don't usually give things a fair shot on the other side. It's just different ways of doing the same thing and if you're used to it one way, you have to get used to doing things another way with the other. My friend loves the little home button on his iPhone. I like the index finger button on the Android phones, it seems better placed for me. He just can't get used to the button on the Android phone because he's been using Apple phones for several years.

I gave this girl my iPhone 4 a few weeks ago because she broke her Galaxy S2. She complained that it was to slow and quirky but in reality they are similar in hardware and can do the same things. She just wasn't doing it the right way.

I don't run TouchWiz, I got rid of that and am using Go for my manager. Also rooted my S3. I have more than given it a fair shake, and there are a lot of things I like about it more than my iPhones. Enough so I probably wouldn't go back, but I don't like the fact that there is no UI standard. Some apps use a picture of a gear in the upper right, others use the hard menu button on the S3 on the lower left. Then the menus themselves can be whatever. At least on Windows you know what to expect to find under File or Edit or Window. Also Windows DOES have a central way of managing audio in the mixer.

The-Windows-Vista-Volume-Mixer-3.png

People coming from Apple and vice versa with Android don't usually give things a fair shot on the other side. It's just different ways of doing the same thing and if you're used to it one way, you have to get used to doing things another way with the other. My friend loves the little home button on his iPhone. I like the index finger button on the Android phones, it seems better placed for me. He just can't get used to the button on the Android phone because he's been using Apple phones for several years.

I think that's a very valid point, however it's not just a matter of being used to doing things a certain way. UI inconsistency in Android or inability to use alternative keyboards under iOS are real and valid shortcomings.

It's my opinion that the more technically adept you are at a particular OS and the more time you've spent with it, the more difficult it is for you to switch and be happy. This applies to iOS vs Android, MacOS vs Windows, etc.

It's unusual to find something that is so far ahead of the competition that there are no shortcomings in comparison. Even when the original iPhone came out (which IMO was one of these paradigm shifts), it had its limitations like really crappy speaker volume and poor experience as an actual phone.

Back