• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So I just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S III

Let's put a pin in this thread, and come back in 5 years when we're all driving the new NSX hybrid; we can compare iphone 10 to android super-donut.

Sounds like a plan ;)

I've actually had the opportunity to witness Steve Jobs work in-person, and I agree that its not possible to replace him. A lot of the core values and ideas are still deeply ingrained in the company's DNA, and I continue to see a lot of innovation at the engineering level inside Apple, but fundamentally I agree with your statement. You need someone at the top with the right vision and passion and drive to do things that are truly different and I don't think that exists at Apple anymore.

Anyhow, I think Android is the best thing that could have happened to Apple because real competition drives innovation. Everybody benefits.

I would have assumed that Steve would have been looking for someone with the potential to step into his shoes and spent the last several years grooming the guy to take over that spot. I had assumed Tim Cook was that guy, but really don't know anything about him. Steve had the entire world to find someone and a bottomless bucket of incentives to be able to throw at that person.

And just to remain on topic, I am getting used to the S3, I am slowly getting it tailored so it's more to my liking, but I hate where the buttons on the sides are physically located and how easy they are to press. The iPhone was much better in that regard.

Last edited:
I would have assumed that Steve would have been looking for someone with the potential to step into his shoes and spent the last several years grooming the guy to take over that spot. I had assumed Tim Cook was that guy, but really don't know anything about him. Steve had the entire world to find someone and a bottomless bucket of incentives to be able to throw at that person.

I was on campus a few times leading up to his death, and every time I saw him he was hanging out with Jonathan Ives. I assumed he would have been his successor.

I know a lot of people at Apple who are extremely passionate about what they do, and this was something that Steve managed to instill into the company's culture. But you need a special kind of person to have the arrogance and confidence to think they can take on the movie studios, and the music studios, and the phone carriers.. and completely change their business models. Most people can't even think on that level because quite frankly it's absurd. I think that's the part that's going to lead to Apple's eventual downfall to mediocrity. Evolutionary innovation will continue.. that's not hard.. it's doing something truly revolutionary that's hard.

Sorry for the off-topic posts...

And just to remain on topic, I am getting used to the S3, I am slowly getting it tailored so it's more to my liking, but I hate where the buttons on the sides are physically located and how easy they are to press. The iPhone was much better in that regard.

Your just not use to the power button being on the side because Apple always have it on the top. That is fine and all on a tiny phone. I would suggest you try imagine the power button being on top of your GS3 and feel how awkward it is to turn the screen on. The phone is waaaay too thin and too wide to do the three finger claw grip. I feel the side power button is perfectly natural like pushing the talk button of a two way radio or on a nextel.

If that WERE the case, Apple wouldn't need to sue Samsung non stop since they would be no threat.

Apples new strategy. Release 1 phone each year, release one tablet each year. The other 363 days sue the crap out of anything they can think of.

By suing Samsung, Apple is protecting their IP, which Samsung blatantly stole. It would be a sign of a weak company to not stand up for their IP. I know you can all agree with me there.

Samsung deserves to be sued because it's undeniable that they've copied many aspects of the iPhone.

Here's a great, clear infographic using actual text from trademarks that were granted to Apple.

7730699980_5f6a86705d_o.jpg

7730700214_1d3d50713d_o.jpg

7730700368_1c967836c2_o.jpg

http://peanutbuttereggdirt.com/e/20...to-apples-ip-claims-hardware-icons-packaging/

Your just not use to the power button being on the side because Apple always have it on the top. That is fine and all on a tiny phone. I would suggest you try imagine the power button being on top of your GS3 and feel how awkward it is to turn the screen on. The phone is waaaay too thin and too wide to do the three finger claw grip. I feel the side power button is perfectly natural like pushing the talk button of a two way radio or on a nextel.

I think the positioning is OK (though I could see them being more toward the top of each side). However I think it would be preferable if they were resistant, allowing me to rest my fingers on them without actually depressing them. ie, like the iPhone buttons.

My 2 cents on cases and screen protectors. Don't do it.

#1. You can't scratch glass. Take your key to your screen, it doesn't hurt it. Meanwhile the plastic "screen protector" will scratch and look ridiculous.

#2. Don't get a case. Androids don't break as easy as iPhones. Youtube drop tests. Instead, just get insurance and don't worry about it.

Running it naked is much more enjoyable. You can enjoy a sleek phone instead of a brick.

I disagree on both counts

You can scratch glass. There are a lot of stuff tougher than glass. Try rubbing glass in sand and see what happens.

Always get a screen protector. It's a lot cheaper and convenient to replace a screen protector than to replace the screen.

Always get a case. A case will prevent accidental drop damage or help minimize damage, versus a shattered phone. Again cheaper, easier, than paying a $100 deductible on insurance to get a new phone, plus the monthly insurance fee which alone costs more than a case.

By suing Samsung, Apple is protecting their IP, which Samsung blatantly stole. It would be a sign of a weak company to not stand up for their IP. I know you can all agree with me there.

Samsung deserves to be sued because it's undeniable that they've copied many aspects of the iPhone.

Here's a great, clear infographic using actual text from trademarks that were granted to Apple.

http://peanutbuttereggdirt.com/e/20...to-apples-ip-claims-hardware-icons-packaging/

Interesting but there's enough difference as subtle as they may be for Samsung to aggressively fight the lawsuit. What's funny though is that I was informed by several sales reps at our vendor distribution centers that if you opened up am iPhone quite a bit of the phone hardware is sourced from Samsung. Don't know how much merit is there to that claim but I have read several articles in business publications that have confirmed at least some sourcing of critical parts pertinent to the iPhone operations from Samsung. Wonder where they'll go now. This is the first time in years that I'm not using an iPhone and frankly as I mentioned earlier in this thread the only way I won't go back to iPhone is if it doesn't support some of the features that I'm enjoying with the S3 however that's not to say I'm disappointed with the S3. Android OS and Samsung Hardware have come a long way since the S1. It's just as good as the iPhone/iOS. My reason for switching back would be the benefits I would get from the cross compatibility of going back to Apple because everything else in my house including my desktop, laptop, iPad and my wife's phone (4s) are Apple product. We just got the Apple TV unit as well... :eek:

Interesting but there's enough difference as subtle as they may be for Samsung to aggressively fight the lawsuit. What's funny though is that I was informed by several sales reps at our vendor distribution centers that if you opened up am iPhone quite a bit of the phone hardware is sourced from Samsung. Don't know how much merit is there to that claim but I have read several articles in business publications that have confirmed at least some sourcing of critical parts pertinent to the iPhone operations from Samsung. Wonder where they'll go now. This is the first time in years that I'm not using an iPhone and frankly as I mentioned earlier in this thread the only way I won't go back to iPhone is if it doesn't support some of the features that I'm enjoying with the S3 however that's not to say I'm disappointed with the S3. Android OS and Samsung Hardware have come a long way since the S1. It's just as good as the iPhone/iOS. My reason for switching back would be the benefits I would get from the cross compatibility of going back to Apple because everything else in my house including my desktop, laptop, iPad and my wife's phone (4s) are Apple product. We just got the Apple TV unit as well... :eek:

Yeah it's crazy because all of the tech companies are in bed with each other in one way or another. You're right, Apple sources a lot of components from Samsung, which is one of the reasons why these cases are extremely interesting. Honestly though, to me, Samsung has a lot more to lose.

Also, an internal memo from Samsung was released. Very interesting stuff. To me it really solidifies the fact that Samsung blatantly copied the iPhone.

"At the end of Monday in week two of the Apple versus Samsung case, a damning internal Samsung email was admitted into evidence — an email containing charged language from JK Shin, Samsung’s head of mobile communications. In the email, Shin described the difference in user experience between Samsung and Apple smartphones as “a difference between Heaven and Earth.”"

http://allthingsd.com/20120806/iphone-caused-crisis-of-design-at-samsung-memo/

My 2 cents on cases and screen protectors. Don't do it.
#2. Don't get a case.

I'd love to go commando with the iPhone 4 but I find it impossible to use w/o a case. The iPhone seems too slippery and small to pick up or hold without at least a semi-forceful grip, you always had to be too conscious about where you could set it down w/o scratching the glass, and the glass body let it slide out of my shirt pocket WAY too often - you couldn't even tell it was moving in your pocket if you slightly bent over because the glass was so "slippery." All that got super annoying. The $29 iphone bumper that many got free after the antenna issue was perfect - featherweight, provided some drop protection, prevented it from sliding out of my pocket and let you know when it started to slide, let you lay it down anywhere, and provided a raised edge that made holding it with just a light grip super easy and protected the glass from contacting the ground when dropped face-down -- but it self-destructed after 2 months. My current $5 simple Incipio NGP plastic case does all that now at the expense of a little more heft.

Besides, iphone 4 users are almost forced into a case because of the noticeable antenna issue. Agreeing with "jond" though about screen protectors: much better user experience w/o one, and after 25 months my screen is darn near perfect. And the raised edge makes the screen inset, so no screen protector's needed. If anyone has any great lightweight case recommendations from experience that are less bulky than the Incipio NGP and similar to the apple bumper but more durable, I'm all ears.

I think phone makers (and the auto industry, but don't get me started on that) have gone overboard with way-overly-thought-out copycat design at the expense of function, making these phones too much like art while ignoring real-world usage. What's next, glass Macbook Airs? The only time my friend's Nissan Juke interior (lots of painted metal near the shifter) looked nice and shiny and pristine was the week she first got it. Now it has more rock chips than my 193k Accord's bumper. :)

If the Galaxy had a bit of a raised edge to make it easier to hold, that would be a hugely standout feature beyond the iPhone 4.

I agree with the no case... but a screen protector is a must. With a case, you guys are covering all the hard work that the design team did. Its like hiding your beautiful NSX (or other cars) in some ugly rubber/plastic shell.

Also, in regards to the patent case, yes Samsung is definitely in the wrong (but isn't imitation is the highest form of flattery?) but I believe the patent office has bigger issues. They need to be more detailed and stingier when awarding patents. "Rectangular handheld mobile devise," "black face," and basic colors. Its completely ridiculous.

Look at some of the patents Apple was just recently awards:

Wedge design laptop
5th Dimension technology

Either Apple is paying off someone in the patent office or the office is plain dumb. Wedge design laptop? I guess every manufacturer is infringing on that patent. 5-D tech that's not even possible?!

The button positions are still driving me crazy. I'm constantly hitting them causing the phone to do stuff I don't want it to do. Again I think these buttons need to be more resistive ... since that's not possible on this phone, I think I may need a case that makes these buttons recessed or covers them making them harder to push.

A lil off topic, but I just tried out the Motorola Droid Razr for like a week, I didn't like it. I guess I'm too used to the simplicity of iOS already. I know you can customize it, but some of those widgets just take up to much screen real estate, which btw I liked, but left plenty to desire. Just not the same as a retina display. I felt everything was just scattered all over the place too, not as polished as iOS. Anyways, I sold it already, now just waiting for the new iPhone. :)

You can't compare by just trying something out. It took me weeks to get over the iPhone UI and get my S3 set up to my liking (and trying different app manager UIs) and get used to it. I now pick up my wife's iPhone and have to remember how to use it. I am now at the point where I like the S3 better than my iPhone 4GS but it's not perfect by any means. I see the Note 2 was just announced, I may jump on that once it ships and sell my rooted/unlocked S3 on eBay.

Last edited:
You can't compare by just trying something out. It took me weeks to get over the iPhone UI and get my S3 set up to my liking (and trying different app manager UIs) and get used to it. I now pick up my wife's iPhone and have to remember how to use it. I am now at the point where I like the S3 better than my iPhone 4GS but it's not perfect by any means. I see the Note 2 was just announced, I may jump on that once it ships and sell my rooted/unlocked S3 on eBay.

The minute I tried the first iPhone when it came out, I fell in love with it. I was coming off a Sidekick 3, which I loved btw, but right then I knew I had something different, something special. Maybe I would need more time to learn it more enough to like it. I'm just not into customizing as much as I used to be. Even on my jailbroken iPhone, I only have a few tweaks on it, nothing crazy. I prefer to keep it simple/elegant nowadays. :)

Yeah the out of the box experience isn't particularly good at least for Samsung, each manufacturer customizes the UI so one company's out of the box != to another's.

I think its just a matter of personal preference. As for me I am fully invested in the iDevice ecosystem.

My wife and i each have two iPhone 4s for work and personal use. My family room receiver is Airplay enabled. I have multiple Airport Express modules for other audio zones. An AppleTV, two iPads, and two iMacs. Oh and all of our cars are hard wired for iPhones...

My sister is an Android person with her phone and Nook Tablet. She is a heavy phone user and literally will run out of power halfway through the day. To the point where she needs to carry a charger around wherever she goes. And the times when I have used her phone I have not been impressed in the least. My associates with Evo 4Gs also are always having to "plug in" just to get to the end of the day. Or they are manually shutting down features as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've run out of power on my iPhones in the two years that I've had them. I surf, text, make calls, check mail, and run apps frequently. I have location, Bluetooth, and everything else on at all times. At night I just plug the phones in at my nightstand when I go to bed. They sync wirelessly and I'm good to go in the morning. Needing to carry around a charger or having to carry a spare battery seems very cumbersome to me. Changing UIs, rooting, or jailbreaking is not of interest either. I'd rather spend time surfing/reading/playing on my device rather than just tinkering with it to make it run.

This is the same reason why I switched back to Mac after having Windows PCs for many years. And switched from a miserable HTC Windows CE Smartphone to the iPhone 2years ago. And I'm not techno averse having majored in CompSci in undergrad...

I'm interested to see what features the next iPhone will bring to the table.

Last edited:
I run out of battery no matter what phone I use. I would go out for 90 minute walks with my iphone every day. I would be playing music via Pandora, using Runkeeper (GPS), wearing bluetooth headphones while playing a game like Slingo or surfing. I would leave the house with a 100% charge and would be under 20% when I returned home. In a few cases the battery died.

The Samsung doesn't seem to be much better (though I haven't done the same walk regimen with it... perhaps I'll do that this morning), but the iPhone wasn't all that great either. I kept an iphone charger in my car and the car was on it when I drove, when at work it would be plugged into my laptop to charge and same at home. It was only off a charger if I were away from those three places.

Last edited:
by suing samsung, apple is protecting their ip, which samsung blatantly stole. It would be a sign of a weak company to not stand up for their ip. I know you can all agree with me there.

Samsung deserves to be sued because it's undeniable that they've copied many aspects of the iphone.

Here's a great, clear infographic using actual text from trademarks that were granted to apple.

holy cr*P!!!

Interesting article from NYT on Samsung's strategy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/t...ng-after-battle-with-apple.html?smid=pl-share

September 2, 2012
After Verdict, Assessing the Samsung Strategy in South Korea
By CHOE SANG-HUN
SEOUL, South Korea — When a jury in San Jose, Calif., ordered Samsung Electronics to pay $1.05 billion in damages for violating Apple’s patents for the iPhone and iPad, it did more than decide who had infringed upon whose intellectual property. To South Koreans, the legal battle highlighted the strengths and weaknesses of both Samsung and their economy in general.

“The ruling makes us reconsider the brand value of Samsung because it depicts Samsung as a copycat,” said James Song, who monitors Samsung for KDB Daewoo Securities in Seoul. “But a copycat or not, what Samsung has done with its smartphones was a brilliant move.”

“Look what has happened to companies like Nokia, Motorola and BlackBerry, which didn’t do as Samsung did,” Mr. Song added, referring to competitors whose failures to adapt quickly to the smartphone boom driven by iPhones have drastically reduced their market shares. “Samsung may lack in innovation, but right now, no one can beat Samsung in playing catch-up.”

For months, the South Korean media have watched avidly as Samsung, the world’s largest technology company by sales, clashes with Apple, the world’s No. 1 company by market value, over patent lawsuits in various countries.

Calling Samsung South Korea’s biggest, most profitable and most globally recognized brand barely explains the intense and often mixed emotions the name evokes among South Koreans. In Samsung, they see the crown jewel of their country’s transformation from a war-torn agrarian society into a global technology powerhouse.

Once an assembler of clunky transistor radios, Samsung is now the world’s top seller of smartphones and high-resolution television sets, as well as memory chips and flat-panel displays that allow those devices and others to store and display data.

Japanese companies have beaten rivals to the market with hardware innovations like flat-panel televisions and high-end mobile phones. Samsung waited for the others to test the market, and when it determined the time was right, it joined the fray to cash in.

Samsung’s strategy was to build something similar to another company’s product but to make it better, faster and at lower cost. When it pounced, it flooded the market with a wide range of models that were constantly updated with incremental improvements at a speed its rivals found hard to match — a strategy best illustrated by its smartphone business. Heavy investments have not been a problem; it once secured low-cost loans from a government-controlled banking sector friendly to big businesses and now draws on its own coffers, which are sloshing with cash.

Several years ago, Sony, Sharp and Panasonic were the first companies to market flat-panel televisions. But they obsessed over craftsmanship or held onto the old cathode-ray tube while dithering over the rival flat-panel technologies of plasma screen and liquid crystal displays, or LCDs.

Samsung placed billion-dollar bets on mass production of television-size LCDs. Its economies of scale helped it drive down prices to create, then clinch, the LCD television market.

Five years ago, Sony was the first company to make what is widely seen as the next-generation television. It featured the OLED display — organic light-emitting diode — which is thinner, more vivid and more energy-efficient. Sony was never able to mass-produce or market it; it was too expensive. Samsung and its domestic rival, LG Electronics, tiptoed in, building mass-production capabilities by first making smaller OLEDs for high-end smartphones. Then last week they pounced, announcing the marketing of 55-inch OLED televisions.

“Koreans do things quicker than almost anyone,” said Anthony Michell, author of “Samsung Electronics and the Struggle for Leadership of the Electronics Industry.” “This allows them to change models, go from design to production faster than anyone at the present time. Korean companies continually set themselves challenges, like the challenge to overtake Sony in terms of brand value in the past.”

Samsung Electronics is the flagship of Samsung Group, a family conglomerate that controls more than 80 companies that build oil tankers and apartment complexes, run hotels and amusement parks and sell insurance to housewives and artillery pieces to the military. The flagship’s operations are often faulted for their opacity. But analysts say that also allows Samsung to place huge bets and do so quickly.

Samsung makes not only hardware but also its components; it is Apple’s biggest parts supplier and its fiercest competitor in the completed smartphone market. In a way, its rivals help Samsung compete with them. Samsung’s handset business was its growth driver, raking in 20.5 trillion won ($18 billion) in the second quarter.

The strategy worked well for the latest product it dominated — smartphones — until Apple declared war over intellectual property in April 2011, accusing the South Korean company of “slavishly copying” the feel and look of its iPhone and iPad.

After the court victory, Apple lawyers sought injunctions against sales of Samsung Galaxy smartphones and tablets in the American market.

But those products had already lived through their life cycles in Samsung’s fast-paced marketing plan, analysts and Samsung officials said. With characteristic speed, Samsung had already retooled its latest Galaxy S III smartphones to stay ahead of the patent battle.

Samsung appeared to consider the legal trouble a necessary cost of squeezing out a giant in yet another field it is fast dominating. Samsung’s smartphone sales in the second quarter grew 150 percent to 50.5 million units, or a record 35 percent of the market, according to the research firm Strategy Analytics. Apple grew 28 percent, to 26 million units. Apple will attempt a surge back with its new iPhone model this year, but Samsung is ready to introduce the Galaxy S IV as a counter.

“The patent ruling and Samsung’s copycat image will have a negative impact on Samsung’s sales of cellphones and other products,” said Kevin Lee, an analyst at Korea Investment and Securities. “But Samsung will further widen the gap with Apple in the third quarter, though not as much as expected before the ruling.” Samsung is appealing the verdict, which it called “a loss for the American consumer.” Mr. Song said that despite the verdict, the fight for the smartphone market was over and had been decided in Samsung’s favor.

In South Korea, where Samsung’s achievements are a source of national pride, many perceived a bias against a foreign competitor in the American jury verdict. Still, the ruling reminded South Koreans of something their country lacked, a shortcoming magnified by comparisons between Samsung and Apple.

Although the name Samsung is synonymous with sophistication among South Koreans, the company has never created a product so innovative that it has defined an era in consumer culture, like the Walkman or the iPhone.

“Copying and clever upgrading are no longer viable,” the daily JoongAng Ilbo, The International Herald Tribune’s publishing partner in South Korea, said in an editorial. “Samsung must reinvent itself as a first-mover, despite the huge risks involved in acting as a pioneer, if it hopes to beat the competition.”

My associates with Evo 4Gs also are always having to "plug in" just to get to the end of the day. Or they are manually shutting down features as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've run out of power on my iPhones in the two years that I've had them.

I had similar problems as your associates on my Android phone -- and then I replaced the stock battery with an aftermarket battery, and now I can easily go a full day of normal usage; longer if I do the usual power saving tricks.

Many of the stock batteries supplied with Android phones are, sadly, crap -- which leads to the perception that Android phones have poor battery life. iPhones, to their credit, use quality batteries.

I just read somewhere that Samsung is getting ready to release the S IV soon. How soon, I have no idea.

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Samsung makes excellent hardware, but without Google and Android, it would be nowhere in the smartphone market. Even now, updates for Android are slow to roll out for its non-nexus products. I'm still waiting for ICS to be officially released for US Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus users, any day now I hope. The dependence on Google is a potential weakness for Samsung, and I'm curious to see if Samsung will do something to address that.

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Samsung makes excellent hardware, but without Google and Android, it would be nowhere in the smartphone market. Even now, updates for Android are slow to roll out for its non-nexus products. I'm still waiting for ICS to be officially released for US Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus users, any day now I hope. The dependence on Google is a potential weakness for Samsung, and I'm curious to see if Samsung will do something to address that.

It's actually the other way around when placing the blame on delayed OS updates. Google pushes it out and then the OEM's (Scam-Sung included) take forever to push the updates to the phones because they need to reskin the update.

Back