• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Ken wrote...

"....Uhhh... no, Jimbo. You can't weasel out of this one by all of the sudden claiming that it was a statement about the entire industry. Let's look at your complete statement, instead of your self-serving excerpt. This is what you really said:

"This thread simply tells me that there are more people out there who use illegal software than there are software developers."

So, I guess Ken is now going to tell everyone what I believe. If you want to come to the conclusion that I accused the participants in this thread of using illegal software, so be it. It's not true, but if it serves your purposes, by all means feel free to use that conclusion.

If I wanted to accuse NSX Prime participants of software theft, I certainly wouldn't have used the phrase "out there." Wouldn't I have used the phrase "in here" if I wanted to accuse Prime users of software theft?

Hey...Ken...You wouldn't be "objecting and picking apart the statements others make" would you?
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Ahh nsxtasy,

Give Jimbo credit. He did reply in his last remark to me that one case discussed was a "gray area" after making a stronger statement earlier. That is compromise.

I am still hoping that I may some day earn the status of "*may* not be unethical," ... I just haven't figured out how yet, ... maybe there is some software package I could buy??
wink.gif

anvil

[This message has been edited by anvil (edited 06 September 2002).]

Originally posted by anvil:
...I am still hoping that I may some day earn the status of "*may* not be unethical," ... I just haven't figured out how yet, ... maybe there is some software package I could buy??
wink.gif

Anvil,

Don't BUY any software. I know a place you can download it for FREE!
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

hey erobbins, there was some slight sarcasm in my 'you should hope your software gets stolen and receives this much press' comment.

also, i didnt say that this was a foundation for a 'marketing strategy' either. so i dont think the 'warped' classification fits.

speaking of warped, im warp speeding out of this thread-----------c ya

Originally posted by Lud:
And yes, I AM working to help the cause of consumer rights, thanks for your concern.

Here is an update... This legislation to fight back for consumer rights and the right to free speech just introduced by my Congressional representative. This is not trying to take anything away from the business interests that own and produce content, only to preserve the balance of consumer rights and free speech which have recently been under serious attack: http://www.house.gov/boucher/internet.htm

I don't want to get into a political debate, but I would like to mention that one of the reasons Rick Boucher, a Democrat, has enjoyed rock solid support for many years in a conservative district of a very conservative state is that this is a high-technology area and Rep. Boucher is one of the most forward-thinking members of Congress with regards to technology issues. For some background on that, see http://www.house.gov/boucher/docs/boucherinfotech.htm

Here are some editorials about it, I'm sure many more are out there or will be soon:
http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,55569,00.htm
http://www.ce.org/press_room/press_release_detail.asp?id=10037

I had the FBI come to my house in 1996 for Warez, it was me and 2 others.They both got felonies on there record and had to do 200 hours of community service. The FBI was from California and I live in Georgia. It freaked me out. They did not have to do any jail but do have a felony on there record and that makes it kind of hard to find work. The reason we were busted I think is because of 12 phone lines in a rental house and my roommate was selling cd’s for about $250 each out of a PO box. Best of luck and it seems that they are not messing around anymore with this stuff. Also this was in the news and they busted 8 other sites the same day as well as spent the day there and took ALL computer equipment and a few console copiers.

Originally posted by Ryanmcd2:
I had the FBI come to my house in 1996 for Warez, it was me and 2 others.They both got felonies on there record and had to do 200 hours of community service. The FBI was from California and I live in Georgia. It freaked me out. They did not have to do any jail but do have a felony on there record and that makes it kind of hard to find work. The reason we were busted I think is because of 12 phone lines in a rental house and my roommate was selling cd’s for about $250 each out of a PO box. Best of luck and it seems that they are not messing around anymore with this stuff. Also this was in the news and they busted 8 other sites the same day as well as spent the day there and took ALL computer equipment and a few console copiers.

easy way to get the latest hardware + software...
smile.gif

Wow. Time went by fast. I bet not for him though. I still remember the time he came on here and said goodbye. That's when I just signed on to Prime myself.

Wow, his website is indeed insightful into our penal system.

We routinely parole violent offenders and drug dealers who go on to commit more crimes (like the missing Ohio student), and let businesses make examples out of guys like Rob.

What Rob did was wrong, no doubt about it, but what's wrong with a severe fine and home confinement for 15 months?

Something's just not right.

Back