• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

After 12 awesome years, I am no longer an NSX owner. Since January 2005 I have started 124 threads at this site. This one, my 125th, is the last.

Wow, that was dramatic. Anyway, I sold my awesome 1995 NSX. Me, a self-professed True Believer. And I am. A True Believer, that is. There's nothing like the NSX. Nothing. That's not an overstatement. There is literally nothing else that has all the qualities of the NSX that make it such a unique thing to drive. I took possession of a 56k mile NSX in 2005 and turned it into a 185k mile NSX in 2017. I drove from Florida to Maine, to Indiana, to Kansas (7 times!) and back. I went to The Dragon every year, sometimes twice, for most of a decade. I drove the whole length of the Blue Ridge Parkway 3 times. I drove the entire length of the lower Mississippi River, crossing it at every opportunity along the way (including 2 ferrys). I put 11 sets of rear tires on the car. I bought it headers and and a nice exhaust and new paint and seat skins and a supercharger and countless oil changes and replacement radiators and don't get me started on the hoses and brakes and O2 sensors and window regulators and hydraulic struts and power antennas and timing belts...

Times change. People and cars get older. My thirst for week+ long solo road trips has been slaked. The wonderfully low NSX has become somewhat annoying to climb out of and the clock is ticking. If I want something different, now's a good time. So I sold it. For most of those 12 years I would start a thread in this forum with details and pictures of the preceding year. Here then is my Year 12 thread.

It's been a trend for a while that I take fewer and fewer pictures as the years go by. I think I reached "Peak Digital Picture" about 5 years ago. Still, I have some from this final year. Occasionally I find the light just right and snap a worthy shot. I thought this one qualified. That Brooklands Green is really tough to photograph without a strong, low light.
image.jpeg

Always a hit at Cars & Coffee.
DSC_0327.jpg

And dogs like it. :)
DSC_9999.jpg

Home Depot run.
IMG_3730.jpg

I put the seat skins on in June 2014 and I still just love them. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really like that color combo.
DSC_0569.jpg

I love that blower. I can't deny that it caused me an extra headache or two since I put in on. I've had two bearing and/or pulley failures and that's disappointing. On the plus side, they were easy fixes both times. CT Engineering isn't the easiest to reach, but I had excellent luck working through one of their designated dealers. The supercharger makes the car so much better that I can forgive, and I do. I love that blower. I wish I'd put it on many years earlier.
DSC_0566.jpg

Gotta love Florida. This picture is dated 12/22/2016.
DSC_1583.jpg

Which brings us to this year, and the next-to-last picture I have.
Sold+NSX.png

And 3 weeks ago yesterday I took the last picture as it drove away.
DSC_1825.jpg

I hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I did.

It's been great guys. I'm still around. I might not be starting new threads here, but I'll pop in occasionally. Enjoy your cars, there's nothing like them!

As for me, I decided to get something massively different, and I did. I bought a 2004 Honda Civic beater so uninspiring I haven't even taken a picture of it. Oh, I also took delivery of this.
IMG_4066.jpg

It's a '68 coupe with a seriously built 351W stroker & Tremec 5 speed. It is streetable, sort of. I plan to drive it to work on Fridays, take it to Cars & Coffee, maybe to the drag strip occasionally. That sort of thing while I modify it to make it my very own over the next year or two. I got plans. :)

Later!

Thanks for the memories....

Winters in Florida.... Almost as good as an nsx. Farewell Skippy. Enjoy your new hot rod.

Well done, Jim. I will always remember you as the second, and most surprising, NSX owner I met after buying my own. The parking lot run down of a Brooklands Green NSX by the owner of another Brooklands Green NSX, our relatively infrequent but always pleasurable hook ups and the looks on other's faces as we pulled in twin green super cars to whatever event we might be attending.

You'll always be etched in my memory with smiles. (Weird I don't remember any photos of the two cars together before I painted my own.)

Sebring 3.2 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Don't be too much of a stranger. I too know exactly how you feel about not having an NSX in your life. However, the friendships and camaraderie gained through NSXPrime is second to none. I'll even include Docjohn as being one of my favorite Primates that I've meet.

Enjoy your new toy, and don't stay away from local NSXCA events. I've shown up to a few NSXCAPADES in a Lotus and Focus RS. :)

You can sell NSX but you can't really leave. Enjoy your new toy as much as you did that Brooklands.

Great farewell post... you certainly drove that car a lot. It was bittersweet to read but I'm glad you have moved on. The car deserves to be loved!

Congratulations and don't become a stranger.
I'm out of Pensacola (but currently reside in North Carolina)...and you ARE living the dream!

You've been a real stalwart on here, and I've enjoyed reading about your trips. And of course you chose the right color for your NSX. Good luck.

You know you can still post even as a non-owner, right? :) I kid, I kid.

Nice pickup, and it's understandable to need something different after all those years. Good luck with the 'stang!

Don't be too much of a stranger. I too know exactly how you feel about not having an NSX in your life. However, the friendships and camaraderie gained through NSXPrime is second to none. I'll even include Docjohn as being one of my favorite Primates that I've meet.

Enjoy your new toy, and don't stay away from local NSXCA events. I've shown up to a few NSXCAPADES in a Lotus and Focus RS. :)

haha the bromance is strong...

Sorry to hear you are no longer a NSX owner. I met you at the "WANNA GO FAST" event in Ocalla FL early 2015 I don't recall your speed but I do have a couple still photos of your car and us.0125150916a.jpg

Attachments

• 0125150916a.jpg
    0125150916a.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 93
Sad to see you go. I've always enjoyed perusing your posts and pics over the years. I can imagine the emotion of seeing such a great companion drive away with its new owner. It must have been bittersweet. I hope it is as well taken care of by the new owner. Your new adventure looks equally as sweet though! What kind of HP is it pushing?

Wonderful recollections. . . personally, I can't ever give up mine. . .

as someone who is on his third NSX since 2003 and I can tell you.....you'll be back:smile:

like you said, there is nothing else like the NSX.

love that Mustang though....

hope to see you back on here soon!!!

Great write-up of your NSX experience. Enjoy your new toy, it should keep you fully engaged.
It would take something very special to tempt me to dispose of my 91 NSX which after 26 years of NSX ownership never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Back