• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So you think you want a 355 Ferrari

This guy races a NSX and owns a 355 for a few years. This is his LATEST repair update on the 355, from NSXfiles.com

First, a quick update on the F355 GTS, which everyone has been asking me about.

I finally got the car running great in late July. That's after I got the following work done on it:

1. 45,000 mile service from GMG

2. Fix tranny leak, oil leak, shifting problem. International Motorsports figured out how to fix this stuff

3. New parking brake shoes

4. New parking brake assembly (cable and actual hand lever)

5. New shock motor actuator (adjusts suspension from soft to sport mode)

6. New rear hatch struts

7. New rear wheel bearing

8. Detail from Premier Motorsports in Culver City

9. Rebuilt water pump

Special thanks to Martin at International Motorsports for being the one that eventually got the entire car back to excellent condition. If it wasn't for them, I'd have to set the car on fire and collect insurance money to pay for all the repair bills.

I'm going broke trying to maintain the F355!

Car runs great now! Only problem is that I charged $18,000 ffing dollars on my credit card to have all the above repairs done. Which is ridiculous. So now I'm faced with the dilemma: Should I sell it now since everything is working great? Or do I pound on it for another year with the chance that I might have to drop another $5000-$10,000 into it if something breaks? What if I blow up the motor and it cost me $30,000 to fix it? It seems a shame to sell it. But then again I've been running up my credit cards in an effort to get me to face reality that I need to sell this thing before it breaks me financially. Premier Motorsports puts me in contact with Richard Purcell, who is a Ferrari broker. I agree that I'll use his services to help sell the car.

This is the first car I ever sold in my life. I still have my 1986 Toyota MR2!

I priced the car at $79,000,which Richard said was too high. I got no offers whatsoever. Copy of my "for sale ad". So then I agreed to drop it to $75,000. Still nothing. Richard then said I should really price it at $69,000, and he can sell it for sure. Which I told him was ridiculous, as it is a 1999 GTS with F1 transmission, factory carbon fiber racing seats, red removable top, has custom five point harness installed for the driver, red brake calipers, etc. He said that is all good and dandy, but as soon as he tells people that it has 43,5000 miles on it, they hang up the phone on him. So I tell him that if I factor out all the repairs into the car, that means the car was worth $51,000 before I went into the rathole of fixing all this shit on it? Ridiculous. Plus factor in a few thousand for his commission, and suddenly it comes a $49,000 car prior to repairs. Absurd. If you look at the car up close, you would think it only has 10,000 miles on it, as the paint/body work looks real good. Leather is a bit worn on the driver's seat, but that is to be expected.

Everyone knows Ferraris cost a fortune to maintain. And any tifosi will admit the 355 has the highest maintenance costs of any modern Ferrari.

However, it does sound awesome. Assuming it starts. :smile:

They are probably hanging up the phone when they realize the second owner was Doug. Like "Isn't he that Pulp Ficition dude that is always non-fictionally destroying shit at the race track". Not because it had 45K on it. LOL. :biggrin:

After reading his latest blog entry I'm surprised he still has it. He definitely needs to find the right buyer and get out of that thing. It seems to me he is losing a lot of track seat time in better rides by having too much bling on the street. A burden from the past weighing him down so to speak.

Like many I wouldn't give him 49K for it because I don't want the 30K engine re-build bill. Many of the F-Car guys just want odo queens. Eventually he'll find the right buyer that appreciates having one that was just gone over, flip-it, and be better off in the long run. It sounds like he has kept everything he has ever bought. Too conceptual. Sometimes you have to step backward before you can move forward.

Either way it's lose-lose on the bottom line with these types of situations. Those repair bills are ridiculously dis-proportional to the return, and it is obvious from the list he is paying someone else full retail plus labor for every little thing.

If you can't afford the F-car why would one buy a F-car? One has to know that theyearly budget for car maintenance and repair has to be around $7,500just based on all the posts available about these cars. But at least this guy will be able to say he owned a F-car.

He sold it for $69k.

He has spend BIG money owning that car over the past 3-4 years, reoccurring leaks for example, tranny locks up, etc..
I can afford one but do not like spending that kind of money on maint and repairs that should not happen, I would feel ripped off in this day and age. Plus if you do drive it and put mileage on it, people do not want to buy it, wrong way to go for me.

Doug can certainly afford a Ferrari 355 since he is a millionaire and has retired since his 30's. His statement was just reflecting his frustration with the ridiculous operating cost and unreliability of the Ferrari. It is like having a high maintenance and temperamental girlfriend who constantly wants attentions, gifts, and shopping sprees. In fact, the Chinese billionaires don't buy expensive cars to impress their peers since everyone can afford the most expensive cars in the world. Instead, they seek the best looking woman celebrities as girlfriends or mistresses as trophies.
Steve

In fact, the Chinese billionaires don't buy expensive cars to impress their peers since everyone can afford the most expensive cars in the world. Instead, they seek the best looking woman celebrities as girlfriends or mistresses as trophies.
Steve

Paying for the car or paying for the girl...it's all money down the drain. :biggrin:

They are probably hanging up the phone when they realize the second owner was Doug. Like "Isn't he that Pulp Ficition dude that is always non-fictionally destroying shit at the race track". Not because it had 45K on it. LOL. :biggrin:

HAHA Yeah I am familiar with the exploits of Doug and Wayne through the years with their cars. So yeah once people realize he owned the car they run away. :biggrin: Didn't know he finally pulled the trigger and sold it though, good for him. Does he still have the Flamemobile (NSX)? They were getting into karting big time last I heard, and he mostly tracked his S2K..:confused: :smile: Those guys are old school NSX people.

HAHA Yeah I am familiar with the exploits of Doug and Wayne through the years with their cars. So yeah once people realize he owned the car they run away. :biggrin: Didn't know he finally pulled the trigger and sold it though, good for him. Does he still have the Flamemobile (NSX)? They were getting into karting big time last I heard, and he mostly tracked his S2K..:confused: :smile: Those guys are old school NSX people.

Brings back the memories. About nine years ago, I was excited to attend my first track event/driving school in my brand new Integra Type R. Before my first session, I was standing at the pits and Doug was about to go out. I immediately recognized him from nsxfiles and decided to ask him for a ride. Thus, my first ride in an NSX was a session at Buttonwillow raceway, with Doug doing his typically insanely quick shifting and braking as late as he could for every corner. A memorable way to start a lifelong hobby.

Last edited:
That's a shame. With Ferraris, it's a hit and miss.

My friend had an 308 for over 100k miles and he drove the thing daily without much complaint, and he now has his 1999 F355 spider for two years and he still drive the car almost daily. He swear the car is just as reliable as his old 308. Any record on the 360? They supposed to be better, eh?

The F360 is considered the most reliable Ferrari to date. The F430 is the cheapeast to drive since the the maintenance costs are lower(timing chain vs. TB) than the F360. Unfortunately the F430 is a just a bit more expensive.:wink:

The 355 was miles ahead of everything before it, and the 360 was another big step forward from the 355 in terms of reliability/build quality/maintenance. The 430 is almost to the point where you could consider it a daily driver, but that lovely Italian build quality still rears its ugly head. Within minutes of my friend picking up his 430 we found things that didn't work quite the way they were supposed to. eg. the panel that covers the retracting roof on the spider wouldn't close properly etc. Considering that after taxes he had paid north of CAD $350k for the car, the expectation was that everything should be perfect. Having said that, he recently sold his car after two years of ownership and spent $0 on maintenance...

The 355 was miles ahead of everything before it, and the 360 was another big step forward from the 355 in terms of reliability/build quality/maintenance. The 430 is almost to the point where you could consider it a daily driver, but that lovely Italian build quality still rears its ugly head. Within minutes of my friend picking up his 430 we found things that didn't work quite the way they were supposed to. eg. the panel that covers the retracting roof on the spider wouldn't close properly etc. Considering that after taxes he had paid north of CAD $350k for the car, the expectation was that everything should be perfect. Having said that, he recently sold his car after two years of ownership and spent $0 on maintenance...

After driving it how many miles???

so, Ferrari guys... What's generally the cheapest modern ferrari to drive?

I've had my 2004 since new and now have 25k miles on it. It is my daily driver. Obviously there are some places I won't take it but even Home Depot and CostCo have a few cherry parking spots. And like the NSX, I can get two golf bags in the car without problem.

I've had the oil changed every 5k miles. I had a "check engine" light when it was a few months old and the passenger vanity mirror came scratched. Those were about the only warranty items.

No other maintenance mechanical costs. I've spent some $$ on clear bras. They are *great* at protecting the paint, but no matter what the brand, the clear bra itself takes rock hits and after so many thousand miles the clear bra starts to look like chipped paint. So I've replace it several times. It's much cheaper and faster than re-spraying. The stuff I've got on now is very difficult to detect. (Venture)

I should include, I'll be doing the belts in a couple of weeks but on the 360 it's not an unreasonable ordeal like on earlier F cars.

All in all it's a blast to drive and it's been very reliable.

The F360 is considered the most reliable Ferrari to date. The F430 is the cheapeast to drive since the the maintenance costs are lower(timing chain vs. TB) than the F360. Unfortunately the F430 is a just a bit more expensive.:wink:

In the lambo forums there's several people who have both a 430 and a murci, or have had both at one point. They seem to bag on current ferrari build quality. It is a lambo forum though...

Yes, the "FlameMobile" is still around. It sits parked because of Pulp Racings total addiction to the "Karting Crack Pipe".

Latest Pulp victory: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97112

Last edited:
The 355 was miles ahead of everything before it, and the 360 was another big step forward from the 355 in terms of reliability/build quality/maintenance. The 430 is almost to the point where you could consider it a daily driver, QUOTE]

I thought the 355 was more of an evolution of the 348 vs being "miles ahead". The 360 is typically the first f-car that would be considered relatively reliable. At least, that is what I have always heard.

I got a ride in a 599 a few weeks ago. I am not a fan of the styling, but holy crap that car was fast and the engine note was the best I have ever heard (with a helmut on). The interior was incredible. I have to say i was impressed.

I will still own an F-car one day....

Back