• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Some info on JH4NA1156MT002194

It's actually not that much info, but more on the experience of checking it out. I went to check it on it since it's local to me. I'm not in the perfect position to buy yet because I'm trying to sell my car but I don't mind a trade-in as well. I thought I would check it out anyway and help someone out.

This car... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-N...US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19bf89ad2e#vi-content.... is actually very clean inside and out but we all know that doesn't mean the car is in perfect shape.

However, I had a hard time getting information from the dealer. I assumed the dealer wouldn't have any maintenance records but I asked anyway. He didn't show me any. But he said "all maintenance is up to date including fluids, pump, timing belt, etc." I asked him if he knew when the belt was done and he said no. I just said okay and asked if I could look at the interior so he grabbed the keys.

When he came out, I explained the situation about how the belt works on these cars... that the main objective is to have the belt done in accordance with the years rather than the mileage, in this case being every 6-7 years. He then told me "I don't think the previous owner would have done it because it's only 72000 miles." And so, I said the same thing again, that we go by years rather than miles and he didn't say anything afterward.

When we got to the car he went to the passenger side and opened the glove compartment to look at the book (he wouldn't let me look at the book or even see what he was looking at) and then told me to ask Acura for the records. I already asked "hondacuraplanet" about this car previously and he was only able to find out that it was sold at Acura of Pompano Beach.

The dealer wouldn't tell me any more and shut the passenger door before I could look inside. At that point, I didn't even bother going to the driver side or looking at the engine. I just decided to leave.

They also don't allow test drives (that's what they told me over the phone and I guess that's fine). I would've wanted a PPI anyway if I was going to, but the lack of honesty with the dealer just ruined it for me. Why would he tell me the belt was done and then say the previous owner probably didn't do it? I know dealers are just trying to get the sale and I know they're not all crooks/demons and this guy was actually very nice with me up until the lack of honesty.

This is just some info for any of you that are interested in this car. Of course, the car is dealer-priced so it's a hit or miss with anyone. Obviously, there are better deals can be found out there but this is just for anyone who is thinking about checking this out. He said someone else was coming to look at it today so if you're on here, you can post in here and let us know what you find out and if you have a better experience than I did.

I absolutely dislike most car dealers. They act as though they are doing you a favor by selling you an overpriced car. They basically tell you what you want to hear whether it is the truth or not. They just want a sale.

I doubt someone else was actually coming to look at the car. They just say that to entice you to hurry up and buy it.

Working with most dealers is not very rewarding and usually ends up with the buyer feeling a bit screwed. With NSXs my experience is that all the dealers want you to be stupid and uniformed about the cars. They can't work with someone that really knows their stuff - if it's almost new then who cares what service history is on the car- it'll be fine most likely. When you get to 10 years old or older it gets mighty shakey with dealers. They are for the most part - jerks - now I mean no offense cause we have some dealers on here and one gave some pretty good advice lately on another thread - can't remember the thread - hey I'm 60.

Buy from an individual, one that has service records, knows the cars history, has owned it for a long while and doesn't give you some silly song and dance about the timing belt service interval. These cars - well any cars - the older they get the more important good service history is and almost mandatory! Unless it's an old super low miler. Anyway, don't get frustrated - just bide your time - remember the old adage - "all comes to he who waits" - that is surely true of used cars! Buy from a primer if you can. Good luck!

Yeah, even if it did check out I would probably still get one from another primer anyway. I know how hard it can be to sell a car and going through another right now. I'd be happy to do a favor to another primer.

Yeah, even if it did check out I would probably still get one from another primer anyway. I know how hard it can be to sell a car and going through another right now. I'd be happy to do a favor to another primer.

That's definitely the route I'll take when I finally unload my current car. Have you had any luck selling yours yet? I hate the selling process! At least I know when I finally sell mine and purchase the NSX...that will be the end of buying/selling for me. The NSX will be a permanent fixture in the garage.

Guys here is this guys reply to my e-mail, funny its totally different from what he told BLACKWINDEXE

I asked

Hello, I was wondering if this 1991 NSX your selling has had the Timing Belt/Water pump and valve adjusments done? as that is a 2500 dollar fix that needs to be done. I have 28K Cash. but have seen them go for around 21K Mint. and low miles. so if the TB/WP valves have not been done then the price should reflect this. so 25K should be the right price. let me know if you want to talk on the phone I live in Tampa and can drive my other NSX up there to see yours.
and 72000 miles and being 20 Years old. belts only last 6-7 years on these cars. and if the belt broke, 15K-16K for a new engine. so a 20 year old belt may last intill you floor it to show a new customer its HP and bang no sale.

his reply was

Good afternoon, the timinig belt, belts, water pump and all seals were replaced at 61k miles. This car was regularly serviced at an Acura dealership. One of the nicest you will ever see. Thanks Jay

- elite-auto-group-florida

and a repeat e-mail from I dont know who at this dealership
said

This car is GREAT the timing belt was change around 3000 miles ago

The Acura dealer has the service work that all has been done

Please call me if you have any other questions

Thank You,

Mickie

Elite Auto Group
Phone: 407-880-9500
Fax: 407-880-9600
Email: [email protected]