• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sony 4k tv

Saw the new Sony 4k tv this weekend. I wasn't expecting it to be much better, but wow did it ever look amazing. It is so sharp and the colors were so vivid. Very very impressed. Anyone else seen one?

The question is, was it displaying 4K native resolution source material? It matters the world.

Good question. If the store is piping in a special signal to it or not.
I'm curious if just normal HD cable would look better?

I saw a 4K television about two weeks ago. While it looks great, the real benefit depends on viewing distance (resolution-wise).

According to http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/, here is what it would take to benefit from a 50" 4K TV.

For 720p (1280×720) resolution, you must sit 10 feet or closer for full benefit.

For 1080p (1920×1080) resolution, you must sit 7 feet or closer for full benefit.

For 4k (3840×2160) resolution, you must sit 3 feet or closer for full benefit.

For 8k (7680×4320) resolution, you must sit feet or closer for full benefit.

I saw a 4K television about two weeks ago. While it looks great, the real benefit depends on viewing distance (resolution-wise).

According to http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/, here is what it would take to benefit from a 50" 4K TV.

For 720p (1280×720) resolution, you must sit 10 feet or closer for full benefit.

For 1080p (1920×1080) resolution, you must sit 7 feet or closer for full benefit.

For 4k (3840×2160) resolution, you must sit 3 feet or closer for full benefit.

For 8k (7680×4320) resolution, you must sit feet or closer for full benefit.

I REALLY disagree with this, as it only considers resolution and not color, lineation, saturation, motion, etc. and the TOTAL experience. The above is such a small snapshot in what makes viewing a television of this nature so impactfull. It is the same as performing a car comparison based on stat sheets and never taking the cars for a drive. At the same time, the key to the above statement is "50" TV"; not very large for the resolution standards that we are talking about. Since I'm a projector aficionado, I tend to focus on 100" or greater where 4K will turn the industry on its ear!

what is your viewing distance to your 100" projector screen?

I REALLY disagree with this, as it only considers resolution and not color, lineation, saturation, motion, etc. and the TOTAL experience. The above is such a small snapshot in what makes viewing a television of this nature so impactfull. It is the same as performing a car comparison based on stat sheets and never taking the cars for a drive. At the same time, the key to the above statement is "50" TV"; not very large for the resolution standards that we are talking about. Since I'm a projector aficionado, I tend to focus on 100" or greater where 4K will turn the industry on its ear!

Saw this in store at Fry's last weekend. The picture looked slightly sharper and more detailed, but the color, motion and black levels weren't as good as my Pioneer Elite (9g Kuro). Not worth it IMO unless your TV is larger than 80" and more importantly if they even come out with 4k content. I finally have more Blu-rays than DVD's now, it would REALLY suck to have to rebuy all my movies if 4k media comes out soon.

what is your viewing distance to your 100" projector screen?

Prior to relocating, I had a dedicated theater room with a Planar capable of 130" while seating was from 10 to 25 foot away. While playing games, I would sit as close as 7 foot, but you can imagine that the pixellation was pretty grainy.

but the color, motion and black levels weren't as good as my Pioneer Elite (9g Kuro).

That is one hell of a benchmark! There is only 1 LCD flat screen that I know of that has (almost) the same reference black levels as your plasma, and it also happens to carry the Elite Kuro name. Sony will NEVER hit those levels, but most buyers won't know any better or even be smart enough to care.

I am super jelly of your telle.

Last edited:
^Thanks! I lucked out and found a brand new PRO-101FD at Best Buy about 3 years ago. It was stashed waaaay in the backroom, long forgotten. To this date I haven't found another set that I felt was worth upgrading to. The Sharp Elite had me tempted if it wasn't for the off axis viewing angles....

Getting back on topic, I think front projector setups larger than 80" would benefit most from 4k. A few years ago I had a dedicated theater room with a 120" screen and Sony VPL-VW50 "Pearl" Projector. Sat about 16' from the screen and I could see the damn pixels!

I'm holding out for a 100" OLED 4k TV for <$8k. It'll happen someday, but it may take 10 years from the way things are going now.

Last edited:
Saw them a few times at the sony store. They are pretty great, but the price doesn't justify the upgrade from my current TV (1080p), imo. Of course if I were crazy baller I would just drop $25k+ on that 84'' model they have.

Don't know If I'll jump on a 4K tv, but can't wait for some reasonable projectors to show up. My epson looks good from about 15 feet away on a 100" screen, but even at that distance I can see individual pixels.

4k will be a technology that is much more relevant to home theater projection users.

My TVs double as monitors, so I find this really interesting. You may not notice it while watching a movie, but try reading a console window / web page / document and you'll realize that even HD TVs come up short when they get into 40+ inches. From a gaming perspective as well, most upper end cards and run games considerable higher then 1920 x 1080 so you would see the benefit there too.

One important thing to keep in mind before splurging on a 4k TV: The units shipping today are all HDMI 1.4 which limits them to 4096x2160 @ 24 or 3840x2160 @ 30.

Once TV's move to HDMI 2.0, you'll be able to get to 60Hz and beyond over a single cable. If you're using a DP input to the device, then you can go 4096 @ 60 today (although no devices that do this exist today). There are however a bunch of multi-input displays available today where each cable only drives left or right half to get past this limitation.

Last edited:
One important thing to keep in mind before splurging on a 4k TV: The units shipping today are all HDMI 1.4 which limits them to 4096x2160 @ 24 or 3840x2160 @ 30.

Once TV's move to HDMI 2.0, you'll be able to get to 60Hz and beyond over a single cable. If you're using a DP input to the device, then you can go 4096 @ 60 today (although no devices that do this exist today). There are however a bunch of multi-input displays available today where each cable only drives left or right half to get past this limitation.
I would say hdmi 2.0 is a huge reason to wait. I would be pissed to spend 7k and be out of date in a year.

It sure would be nice if hdmi ports were updatable like hard drives.

Last edited:
Back