• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

speeding ticket need help

I was pulled today by an unmarked dodge something and he said I was going 67 in a 45, so I asked him to show me the radar and he said that he does not have to. I said well could you just show me and be a nice and guy and he said no. So what should I do I know for a fact that I was not going over 55 any tips. I dont have a lawyer, but I would like to look into it. I hate cops on the road.ahhhhhhhhhhh also this is my first speeding ticket ever.....

In Virginia?

In Virginia? You're probably screwed. Call the court and ask if you can get traffic school -- since it's your first ticket, you should be able to go to school and not get the points.

Otherwise, plead "Not Guilty" and force a trial. With luck, the cop won't show and your case will be dismissed. Even if the cop does show, it's likely that the fine will be less than if you just knuckle under and plead guilty.

Good luck.

I have question to ask regarding in California since I read on this forum that Cops are required to attend the trial ( Is this true?). If you plead not guilty and take the trial, can the judge give higher penalty/fine ?

cpmoran

Ws this a local cop or a state trooper? I also live in VA and have been able to beat the last 4 tickets the state has tried to give me. This should work for local as well as state so if you want give it a shot. Go to the assigned court house and ask for them to change the court date. VA has for the most part fixed this loop hole but some times you luck out and the cop does not show up. Second request the cops radar certs and training cets from the court house. These records a public and usually on a few bucks. Most cops in VA I have found are either not logging their radar test correctly or they are well past the recertification date. If you find either of these the case is out. Also did you happen to see where the cop was doing radar from? In most counties and all of the state troopers are not allowed to hide behind objects. They have to be on the road and visable to traffic while doing radar. Most cops will tell you they dont have to do this but in the state of VA it is considered intrapment. Hope this helps

I think he was just driving behind me.. I do have to change the date because its on the 25th of july and I will be in Spain from the 23rd of july till aug 15th. Some one told me to do a speed calipbration and if its off by 2 mph then I will at least have the wreckless droped, I hope. Stuff like this makes me not enjoy owning a nsx.

You're in LUCK

As a former Va Beach resident in your shoes I can tell you FROM EXPERIENCE what you do: call Decker, Cardon, Thomas, & Weintraub. I got popped doing 77 in a 55 on 264E (then it was 44E) towards the oceanfront. Got a reckless. Larry Cardon was my attorney (~300 beans) but WELL worth it. He worked his magic and my 6-point offense became Improper Driving (3 point offense).

They are located in downtown Norfolk on main st (1 Decker Building). Tell Larry a former client from 1996 referred you.

Let me know how you make out.

Kevin

Soichiro said:
>>Stuff like this makes me not enjoy owning a nsx.

Huh?!? You would rather get a ticket in a Yugo?

Hell No, I was just a bit upset last night but I feel much better now and I will do my best to beat this thing, I love my car, and I know that the pig was just envious...

Sorry to hear about the speeding ticket. But, this "pig" also owns a NSX. Don't judge the rest from the actions of a few disgruntled people. Thank you.

Kevin

come on man I did not say anthing about you.... and beside if you got pulled you could just show your badge and prob be on your way... but me since I am young and driving a nice car like I said I KNOW FOR A FACT that I was not going 67.I was going to type no offence to others but I didnt cause I just didnt. But if it makes you feel better then I will just call him dickhead, mother ******. Put yourself in my shoes. I have been pulled 5 times in 6 months for nothing.

if the cop "paced" you from behind, he did not need radar. If so, have your atty. request a copy of his speedometer calibration/certification to make sure it's updated and current. in VA, he may have also used "vascar", a timing device. I think the way he measured your speed is listed on the ticket.

in any case - get the attorney! well worth the $$$$. if you get a reckless, you will probably have mandatory drivers school (want to spend a Saturday as a guest of the Commonwealth?) and higher insurance premiums- which will add up to way more than the atty.

also- get your speedometer calibrated. anything to get the offense less than 20mph over the limit, which is reckless.

Good luck, I've been there. had 2 big tickets in the NSX. They are definitely cop magnets. :(

Back