• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spyware

This is waaaaayyy off-topic, but how can I get rid of all the 'invisible' programmes like spyware and gator that run in the background, unbeknowest to me?

Hello:

I'm currently running a free program called "spybot." I run it every two weeks or so and get rid of those annoying ads. You too can get it at www.download.com

If you're using the original Kazaa or go on "warez" sites, this is where the problem may have started. However, just surfing online these days you can get spyware. That software is a good start though.:D

and...

to keep them off, quit visiting those websites having something in common with your Prime screen name! :D

Click here for Spybot - Search & Destroy, it's an excellent (and free) program for identifying and eliminating spaware. It's a good idea to run Ad-aware along with Spybot, as they may pick up different stuff. You may also want to check out this fix for your hosts file, it blocks internet access to known sites that serve ads and malware.

Here are some other free resources you might find useful:

Free online virus scanner - it has found viruses/worms that my McAfee antivirus software missed
Windows XP services configuration - find out what services are safe to turn off to protect yourself from attacks, and to speed up your PC
Windows 2000 services configuration - same, but for W2K
Windows Update - install the security updates regularly to keep your PC innoculated against attacks.

HTH.

Ditto on Spybot S&D. This is what we've used at work to kill spyware.

To avoid future spyware...
Use a browser that doesn't use IE internals such as Mozilla. I've used Mozilla since mozilla.org was formed and have not had one spyware program installed without my knowledge.

A good way to monitor "spy" programs is to install a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm will warn you and ask you if it is alright if so-and-so program can access the internet at this IP#. You'll be surprised at what programs send and receive info from the internet without your knowledge.

--Conrad

Great suggestions

Great suggestions -- I'll echo that SpyBot and Ad-aware are useful programs. I run each of them about once a week, just to make sure my system stays clean.

Here's some more that I find useful:

Shoot the Messenger -- easily disable the near-useless Messenger service and end Messenger spam.

IE-SpyAd -- automatically loads a bunch of nasty sites into IE's "restricted" security zone.

Spyware Blaster -- sets up your system so spyware can't even be installed; makes your SpyBot and Ad-aware scans nice and clean.

How come no one has launched a class-action suit against these companys for killing us with un-solicited e-mails, pop-ups, spyware etc.?

NoSeX4U said:
How come no one has launched a class-action suit against these companys for killing us with un-solicited e-mails, pop-ups, spyware etc.?
Good question. Unfortunately, the law is not on our side in most cases. Companies like Gator take advantage of loopholes (i.e., deeply buried clauses in extensive user agreement contracts which no one reads) that give them the right to do whatever they want. Some companies have tried unsuccessfully to sue Gator. In fact, Gator has gone so far as to sue other companies that refer to its software as "spyware." It's really twisted logic. Bottom line is, it's buyer beware and you gotta be careful to read the fine print, and not to install software that come bundled with malware.

err...what's malware? ( I need kids so they can tell me this stuff...I can just see myself asking an 18 month old,
"Timmy, what's malware?"
"Gwahh...*gurrgle*...hic"
"Ohhh...I see now...")

Well, I never claimed to be smart...just enthusiastic! And plagued by computer...things.

I ran spybot at home and it crashed every time i ran it at the same place... i guess that is bad?

I ran Ad-ware and it worked fine...

Hey all,

My opsys is Win XP Pro. I originally ran only Ad-Aware with good results. I recently installed SpyBot and, as long as I don't run them at the same time, have no problems with either one. 2¢

NetViper said:
I ran spybot at home and it crashed every time i ran it at the same place... i guess that is bad?
That's strange, it has been pretty stable on my W2K and XP machines. Have you checked the compatibility list to see if you're running any known conflicting software? The other thing you might try is to update the definitions (it does not come updated with the latest definitions). If all else fails, you can report the bug to the author to inform him of a potentially new problem. I assume you've gone over the comprehensive FAQ.

Good luck.

PHOEN$X said:
You may also want to check out this fix for your hosts file, it blocks internet access to known sites that serve ads and malware.
I've been using that successfully with my Windows 98SE desktop and my Windows XP desktop. I just bought a Dell laptop and installed the hosts file. It is blocking access to ads on those websites (good!), but I get an error screen every time it blocks access (bad!):

error screen said:
Sorry, we couldn't find http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/N805.chicagotribune/B1774402;sz. Here are some related websites:
When I click the "What's this about" link on that website, it says:

error screen said:
This page was generated because of one of these two reasons:

- The web address you typed did not resolve correctly.
- You typed a keyword query in the browser address bar.

This page is meant to provide you with helpful related content, including web search results and paid advertisements, based on the meaning of the web address/keyword query that you typed. This program can be uninstalled from the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs. Look for the application named "Browser Address Error Redirector". Older versions may be called "GoogleAFE".
However, when I go into Control Panel Add/Remove programs, neither of the mentioned applications is listed.

HELP!!!

use ewido
use cleanup
use hijackthis
use smitrem.exe

do a google on all the above for instructions and downloads

be wary of fake spy remover such as spyaxe, spydoctor, and other spyware software which actually puts their "malware' in your system and in turn you would have to purchase their software to get rid of it.

Just use the above and should take care of all your crap

dainese51 said:
use ewido
use cleanup
use hijackthis
use smitrem.exe

do a google on all the above for instructions and downloads

be wary of fake spy remover such as spyaxe, spydoctor, and other spyware software which actually puts their "malware' in your system and in turn you would have to purchase their software to get rid of it.

Just use the above and should take care of all your crap
good thread, excellent tips - thanks, folks.

Back