• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering Rack Knock Bush

Well its been an interesting day or so with the understanding that an OEM rack bush exists on the passenger side end.

I have been made aware from a forum user who just purchased our NSX Knock Bush that someone else a while back has also made a bush that replaces the existing OEM bush that is further in the rack housing. This bush requires the rack to be removed from the vehicle, stripped down, remove and replace the existing bush then rebuilt the rack. A process in itself is not to be taken on by the light hearted D.I.Y guy with let alone the cost for the bush plus the cost of removing and rebuilding the rack.

Below is the PM I received and reposted with Andreas permission explaining the difference between the bushes.

Dear Les,

I look forward to receiving your steering rack knock bush.

A few years ago I purchased Deylo's 54.5 mm long steering rack knock bush (see this thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/145979-steering-play) but I haven't installed it yet because installation entails disassembling the entire steering gear box, removing the 26.5 mm long OEM bush on the passenger side that has some kind of Teflon strips inside (and that bush can't be purchased separately from Honda), and then installing his instead. He took the rack to EMPA (the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology) so that they could analyze it and determine the optimal material pairing for a bush. Once he knew which material to use, he had bushes CNC machined in Switzerland and offered them for sale.

If installation weren't such a pain in the ass, I would have installed his bush already. That's what's nice about your bush - it's so easy to install. Since it doesn't replace the OEM bush but is used in addition, there's not much space for yours to be very long. But the installation is so much easier!

Best regards,
Andreas

Last edited:
GROUP BUY

2 left at $120.00US with free postage.

Do you have an ETA when should I expect the knock bushing to arrive? It will be nice to have some sort of shipping tracking info. Please let me know. Thanks

Do you have an ETA when should I expect the knock bushing to arrive? It will be nice to have some sort of shipping tracking info. Please let me know. Thanks

There was a slight delay in posting your knock bush as I had new bushes made from a different bronze. You should receive it end of next week.

Unfortunately the cost for tracking is $22.00 I can't absorb that much when shipping for free.

Please let me know if you require further info or assistance.

Les

Last edited:
Hi,

so if i understood correctly, these bushings don't fit on EPS racks, right?

Thanks,
Nuno

Hi,

so if i understood correctly, these bushings don't fit on EPS racks, right?

Thanks,
Nuno

That's correct but as far as I know there hasn't been any knock problems with the ESP rack but I stand to be corrected.

Installed one last year with the rebuild of ball joints and A-arm bushings on a 1993 N/A. The unit installed great and has performed flawlessly. I did not have the knocking problem but did it as a preventive measure. The cost of the part was high (Euro conversion) but it extends the car value in the long run.

How do you install this?

Interested in one.

Please watch the YouTube video on the first post if you have any further questions pls let me know I'm more than happy to assist.

7/8/14

Thank you Henry I will post it today.

7/18/14

7/18/14
There was a slight delay in posting your knock bush as I had new bushes made from a different bronze. You should receive it end of next week.

Unfortunately the cost for tracking is $22.00 I can't absorb that much when shipping for free.

Please let me know if you require further info or assistance.

Les

Hi Les, thanks for the quick reply . I'm very confused - initially you said that you will ship my bushing on 7/8 the same day I sent the payment. So now after 10 days you are saying that my bushing didn't ship and that you had it ordered? Thanks for letting me know.

It would be nice to get some kind of clarification on why is this and also would like to know if the bushing has finally been manufactured and has shipped? :confused::confused::confused:

There were several people (US) who ordered ahead of me - did any of you received your bushings yet?

Last edited:
7/8/14

7/18/14

7/18/14

Hi Les, thanks for the quick reply . I'm very confused - initially you said that you will ship my bushing on 7/8 the same day I sent the payment. So now after 10 days you are saying that my bushing didn't ship and that you had it ordered? Thanks for letting me know.

It would be nice to get some kind of clarification on why is this and also would like to know if the bushing has finally been manufactured and has shipped? :confused::confused::confused:

There were several people (US) who ordered ahead of me - did any of you received your bushings yet?

Thank you for your post.

My engineer decided to make a new batch of bushes out of a different type of bronze so I held off all ordered bushes until they were available.

These bushes cost me more to produce but I honoured the discounted $120.00 group buy price.

I could have sent you the other bush if you wanted sorry you are upset that you got the better bush sent to you last week.

Please let me know if you require further info or clarification.

All the best.

Les

Last edited:
not sure if this a dumb question..but i have a 93 and my brother has 91 both are garage queens with about 40k on the clock…first what does ESP mean? (forgive my ignorance if it is obvious)..also would it be wise to this modification to be proactive…it seems that this decay is just a product of age and softness of material used in the rack,…is there any downside to doing it if you have no "knock " or at least not aware of any now…??..would love feedback to anyone stateside who has done the repair..

not sure if this a dumb question..but i have a 93 and my brother has 91 both are garage queens with about 40k on the clock…first what does ESP mean? (forgive my ignorance if it is obvious)..also would it be wise to this modification to be proactive…it seems that this decay is just a product of age and softness of material used in the rack,…is there any downside to doing it if you have no "knock " or at least not aware of any now…??..would love feedback to anyone stateside who has done the repair..

EPS = Electric Power Steering

From the information we have gathered, this "knocking" only occurs on manual steering racks (ie, 91-94 5-speed cars, and maybe Zanardi's), where over time and use, the aluminum housing is worn down on the passenger side to create play which causing knock. The only downside in installing this on a car with no knock is time and labour. You do it now, you won't "feel" that it has been fixed.

EPS = Electric Power Steering

From the information we have gathered, this "knocking" only occurs on manual steering racks (ie, 91-94 5-speed cars, and maybe Zanardi's), where over time and use, the aluminum housing is worn down on the passenger side to create play which causing knock. The only downside in installing this on a car with no knock is time and labour. You do it now, you won't "feel" that it has been fixed.

Correct, even though its a relatively straight forward installation if you don't have any knock leave it alone.

- - - Updated - - -

So you have to remove the steering rack in order to install this bushing?

No not at all just jack up the passenger side of your car safely, remove the passenger front wheel and tie rod end then follow my video and install the bush.

Happy days from there after.

First Group Buy sold out.

However I have 5 left from the new batch that are up for sale at the same GB price of $120.00US with free shipping.

Last five NSX Knock Bush when these are sold the next batch will be $150.00US inc. free shipping.

$120.00US NSX Knock Bush shipped for free worldwide....

Last edited:
Back