• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sticking clutch?

OK, Ive noticed a clutch problem developing over the past 6 months, so here are my observations. Hopefully someone will have some ideas of what to do next:

About 8 months ago, the clutch started squeaking whenever the pedal is moving. It seems like the throwout bearing is binding on the input shaft. Previous posts on nsxprime indicate this is no cause for alarm.

About 6 months ago, the pedal started developing a "gritty" feeling in addition to the squeaking during its movement. It feels normal when cold, but the grit increases as it warms up. The pedal effort also increases a bit. I also noticed that the pedal appears to transmit a rhythmic vibration if I take out the pedal's slack at highway speeds in 5th.

About 2 months ago, the pedal feels gritty even when the car is cold. The pedal kind of sticks if you put it down 1/2 way and then give it "baby pumps".

About a month ago, I get really annoyed by this and changed clutch fluid, lubed the clutch pedal and ball joint on the slave cylinder. No joy. I also noticed that the clutch creaked REALLY bad when I was under the car (and someone was pumping the pedal). I also noticed that the pedal play is out of spec -- seems more than the 0.28"(?) in the manual.

2 weeks ago, I noticed an increase in pedal effort. The clutch seems to have lost some of its bite when releasing the pedal. Shift effort also seems to have increased, although that might be psychological. It doesnt grind gears yet, but I feel like Im waiting an eternity to shift.

The clutch is relatively new probably ~8K miles on it. If the trend continues, I am afraid of the tranny becoming unshiftable or the master/slave cylinders (or left leg) failing under the increasing load.

At this point, are my only 2 options to either continue driving it as is or to bring it in and have them drop the tranny to apply $0.50 of grease? Is there something else that I missed that should be attended to? Maybe a failing slave cylinder? If indeed its a case of dropping the tranny, how much should I expect to fork out or how many hours of labor does it normally take?

I kind of want to do something to fix this since this is putting a serious damper on the driving experience. Also since this is my daily driver, Im also worried about it failing while Im on the highway. Any suggestions?

similar problemI had

I had a similar problem with my clutch. (this has happened on a previous car of mine also). Main problem was that when the clutch pedal was completely engauged and then released it would reach a sticking point about 1/3 away from the floor. Fine before that point and fine after it. It would stick bad enough that I had to almost completely take my foot off of it before it would release. After a few embarrassing stalls coming away from traffic lights, I had the slave cylinder replaced and everything adjusted which didn't help at all. Finally I just decided to have a new clutch and pressure plate installed. The mechanic said that a few of the springs (they look like little fingers) were weakened and thats what was causing the sticking problem. Several years ago on a Mustang GT that I changed myself you could easily feel which ones were bad. There were 3 that I could move easily with my fingers (all on the same side) and the rest were extremely hard to budge at all (normal). Anyway, you said that your clutch was replaced about 8,000 miles ago. Was the pressure plate replaced also?

Re: similar problemI had

tjack said:
The mechanic said that a few of the springs (they look like little fingers) were weakened and thats what was causing the sticking problem....
... Anyway, you said that your clutch was replaced about 8,000 miles ago. Was the pressure plate replaced also?

Yes, I brought in an entire new OEM clutch for them to install -- so the pressure plate was replaced. I think the only part that wasnt replaced was a single flywheel bolt because the parts baggie for the new clutch was short one.

Your case also sounds like another vote for the dropping the tranny and taking a look. Do you remember how much it cost in labor to drop the transmission?

Still, since you had replaced your slave cylinder to no avail and mine seems to be working, I will bump it down a few notches on the list of suspects.

Back