• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stock NSX or Boosted 350Z?

Okay, i've wanted a NSX since I was 6 years old. I've finally got to a point where i can afford one and i've been trolling these forums ever since. I even allready bought a Dali Hot chip for her and i dont even have the car yet. However, yesterday I started looking at other cars for sale online and I came across some intresting finds on the 350Z boards. I have allways heavily modified my cars, some people dont like it, but i try and do tastful, authentic mods that increase astechics or power, braking, etc. Whatever car i get next wont be any difference, be it an NSX or a 350Z. Which brings me to the problem. I have found about 4 different 350Z's that all are allready modified how I would like to do them and still cheaper than a stock NSX.

For example, there is a Turbo'ed 2004 with 455WHP, 4 Corner Stoptechs, 19" Volks, Navigation, and 17,000 miles for 29,000 OBO. I mean, for gods sake, when it comes to value for money against an NSX is the bare what peformance can you get for money it starts to fall off a bit campared to a contender like that. Or there is a 350Z show car that i fell in love with at HIN last year. Full Authentic Do-Luck CF body kit, Brembo Gran Turismo Brakes, 19" Nismo Wheels, Naviagtion, Bride Seats, Full Nismo Tune, and 11k miles for 28,000. This is a pic I snapped of it at HIN, minus the decals I think its gorgeous.

HIN031.JPG

The last car i sold was a fully built, boosted Mazdaspeed Protege... Laugh all you want but it handed 996's and Sti's their asses at the track and was still pretty enough to win shows. The only problem was I sold it with mods still on the car this week for a net 27,000 dollar loss. WHen you mod cars, you lose, so why not let someone else take the loss for me on one of these 350z's?

Then i come over here and 30k could probably get me a decent X with under 75k and some matience done on it with tires that wear out every 5k due to camber issues (or will this be resolved with the new camber kit due for release?) that has 250hp and can yeild around 275 with an addtional 3,000 dollars in I/H/E. I guess i'm just having a hard time commiting to a 12-15 year old car with less HP and modifications then some of these newer things for sale.

Talk me back into the aluminum supercar so i can forget about these friggin nissans....

NSX:
Pros:
- I had sex with my sister Rare Exotic
- Unholy Sound out of the Exhaust
- Amazing Handling
- High Speed Potential
- Could resell a year later for no loss, if not a gain.

Cons:
- Initial Cost
- Mods are Porsche-Priced
- 12-16 year old car.
- All money would be spent procuring a stock NSX as a base to work around.
- Slow (Dyno 250 at the wheels, high 13's stock)
- Hard to get power NA, (I/H/E = 30RWHP Gain)

350Z:
Pros:
- Newer Car, Less miles
- Every girl knows what a 350z is, I have to explain what and why a NSX is so cool to everyone who asks what kind of car i have. It usually results in me pulling up an image on google because everyone thinks i'm buying an RSX.
- Can be purchased for same price as Stock 'X with 450HP, Boost, Volks, 4 Point Stoptechs, Navigation and a Bodykit.
- I dont take the modification loss on buying parts, someone else has.

Cons:
- Everyone and their mothers tit has a 350Z.
- Wont draw as much attention or respect as an NSX would.
- Resale Vlaue is drastically creeping downward
- NESS told me not too.

This is probably going to be the hardest decision i've made in a LONG time.

Thanks for your continued help and opinion guys!

I've come up with this Pros/Cons list and i want to make sure i'm considering everything here.

I think you should get the 350Z.

It seems you really do want to mod your cars out and for the budget that you set aside, the 350Z will get you the most "bang" for your buck.

On the other hand, you may get the 350Z and find that you still lust after the NSX.

I guess I didn't really help you here :tongue:

I hear everything you are saying. I think certainly a fully modded car sold cheap can be a bargain.... ask me.. I dropped 70K worth of mods on a supra and sold it for basically what a stock car went for a few years later. The buyer got a sweet deal. So if you find a CLEAN, unabused, well modded car cheap, its hard to pass by and you have to judge each individual situation on its own... the advice here will be too general as we don't know exactly what the other car is nor can we drive it.

I would look further down the road and see where you want to go after and let that make your decision. I mean you know yourself. You know how much money you will spend, how long you will keep the car, and how much joy each car will bring. Then crunch the numbers, see what each deal will cost you over the period, and make it a straight financial decision.

Personally, I think I would enjoy a stock NSX more than I would a modded Z over a few years. And there would be little to no depreciation on the NSX.

Its a car that looks a lot more expensive than it is... you only have to show those girls what an NSX is now because you are not driving one! You won't have to EXPLAIN that its a cool car when you are in it... trust me the car does that on its own. But you will have to explain how your Z is not just another Z.... if any of this matters of course...

Really, you are looking at different animals. The NSX is an affordable exotic... the Z is a Japanese sports car.

I spent 75K for my NSX. And to me its a bargain. If you are getting one for 30K, you are getting off really cheap. The car is a bargain in its nature. No it doesn't have 450HP... if you are going to drag race, forget it. But the car brings much joy every mile.... its more about YOU, and not about proving to others what the car is. The fact that its beautiful is a bonus.

All those hot mods on the Z are great... but still, its a Z. You can have the coolest Hyundai in the world too but it would still be a Hyundai... Not equating the two, but comparing the NSX to a Z is the wrong thing to do.

You have wanted this for a long time... its an all aluminum (no rust) ultra reliable, fresh looking, rare, non-depreciating ultra-fun bargain basement car. I would keep searching for the NSX. You won't be sorry.

Listen all these mods are to make a car cool. Better. The NSX is already cooler and already better. Keep it stock and enjoy the thing if you can't afford to go further... you will still enjoy it more. I really believe that.

I'm not going to give a reason for you to get one car or the other, but I will give you some insight about dealing with modified/boosted cars.

First, if the engine wasn't specifically built to handle the boost, you will end up with a destroyed motor. Second, even if you do find a well built motor, you need to constantly tune it to keep it running correctly. Third, make sure there is a shop near you that has experience in the specific motor with those specific mods that can service the car. Fourth, what ever you have in mind for a budget, triple it! I have spent way too much money modding cars over the past twenty years that I now stick mainly to what the manufacturer offers. Yes it is possible to bolt on SC's and Turbos, but there are going to issues no matter what. I'm currently playing around with the idea to go FI, and my research has lead me in the direction to stick with something OEM that all I need to do is add a chip and exhaust at the most. :wink:

In the end, whatever makes you happy is all that matters, but just plan accordingly and have a reserve account for unexpected repairs no matter what car you purchase.

Good luck.

It sounds like you're in a tough situation. I couldn't get a 350Z just for the simple fact is that everyone and there moms have one (at least around my parts) Not to mention people always confuse it with the G35. So for me, I'm definetly in your situation as far as the NSX complex goes. I've wanted one forever, and I'm not going to stray away from that thought. Just being on this board and doing my share of trolling myself, I've come to the conclusion that the NSX is more than just a car to these owners. I don't know of too many cars that can keep a person up at night with a grin. I'd imagine it'd be like christmas everyday. But you just have to go with what will bring you most joy man!:biggrin:

You want us to convince you on which car to buy?:rolleyes: I wonder which one will win as this is an NSX forum. Try asking the same question on the 350 boards. Or better yet ask the question on the (Insert car model here) forums.:mad:

Armando

You should get the 350Z so that we can get all the attention and fun out of the NSX. :)

Well I bought the NSX over a bunch of other new 100K+ cars... I came off a gorgeous renntech CL600.... what a car it was... and last night I was driving a friend's CLK55 AMG... what a great car... and all I was thinking was:

... damn I am sitting up high....
... man its not handling all that well
.... the brakes sure feel mushy...
.... the steering feels vague....
.... God this thing has torque.... but man I am uncomfortable in this seat...

... God please let this trip end so I can get back to my NSX.

MiamieNeSeX said:
You want us to convince you on which car to buy?:rolleyes: I wonder which one will win as this is an NSX forum. Try asking the same question on the 350 boards. Or better yet ask the question on the (Insert car model here) forums.:mad:

Armando

Armando, how do you know he hasn't done that? I think he is looking for NSX owners opinions... and you know I think I can be unbiased even if I own an NSX.

I came on here asking for NSX opinions when I was looking at a Maserati... and I gotta say the opinions here helped. And not all said get the NSX. I got plenty o' other recommendations.

MiamieNeSeX said:

Armando

I dunno, I kinda agree with Armando on this one.

I personally don't like buying modded cars that someone else modded. When you mod it yourself, you know where to go when it breaks.

A turbo'd 350Z is a ticking time bomb. Certain kits are known to blow motors more frequently than others. Simply go to my350z.com and look under the boosted section. Don't get me wrong, some properly tuned cars are running great #'s with no problems...but don't expect to get too many miles out of her.

If you can afford to fix your toy when it breaks, it's probably a good idea. A boosted Z is fast. Personally, I think it will probably give you more headaches than joy. You're way better off buying a twin turbo 300ZX if that's the road you're looking at...and you can do that for $20k for a very nice example.

Simple choice........

If you are on a budget and its about the $$$$ buy the Z

If its about the car buy the NSX

I bought mine because I like the car, nothing more nothing less.. just my 2c

Easy answer.

If you pull up to a stoplight and there is a boosted 350Z next to you, are you going to think "man, i wish i would have bought a 350Z"? :cool:

Assuming you are going to keep the car 3-5 years, the total cost of ownership is going to be roughly equal:

1. Initial purchase price is equal.
2. Depreciation on a '91-'93 NSX is going to be minimal.
3. Cost of depreciation on the 350Z = cost of mods on NSX
4. Insurance on an NSX is also less than a 350Z.

You are asking for reassurance on what you know you already want, just shut up, go buy your NSX and be happy. :tongue:

NSX. 350Zs are a dime a dozen and you would be buying a boosted chic/overachieving teenager car. The 350Z is a favorite among Armani Exchange wearers, enough said.

Hate to follow the party line but I got to go with the NSX, bro. The NSX is a dyed in the wool exotic. You'll be entering the next strata of autosociety and all that it entails...reservations at La Cirque, summering in the Hamptons, Gulfstream 550's, all that jazz. :smile: 350, while a nice car, is still a car driven by mere mortals.

Get a nice set of wheels, lower it and it's guaranteed that when that 350z guy pulls up next to you at the light, he'll be looking at your ride thinking, "Coulda had a NSX."

da3dalus said:
Okay, i've wanted a NSX since I was 6 years old. I've finally got to a point where i can afford one and i've been trolling these forums ever since. I even allready bought a Dali Hot chip for her and i dont even have the car yet. However, yesterday I started looking at other cars for sale online and I came across some intresting finds on the 350Z boards. I have allways heavily modified my cars, some people dont like it, but i try and do tastful, authentic mods that increase astechics or power, braking, etc. Whatever car i get next wont be any difference, be it an NSX or a 350Z. Which brings me to the problem. I have found about 4 different 350Z's that all are allready modified how I would like to do them and still cheaper than a stock NSX.

For example, there is a Turbo'ed 2004 with 455WHP, 4 Corner Stoptechs, 19" Volks, Navigation, and 17,000 miles for 29,000 OBO. I mean, for gods sake, when it comes to value for money against an NSX is the bare what peformance can you get for money it starts to fall off a bit campared to a contender like that. Or there is a 350Z show car that i fell in love with at HIN last year. Full Authentic Do-Luck CF body kit, Brembo Gran Turismo Brakes, 19" Nismo Wheels, Naviagtion, Bride Seats, Full Nismo Tune, and 11k miles for 28,000. This is a pic I snapped of it at HIN, minus the decals I think its gorgeous.

HIN031.JPG

The last car i sold was a fully built, boosted Mazdaspeed Protege... Laugh all you want but it handed 996's and Sti's their asses at the track and was still pretty enough to win shows. The only problem was I sold it with mods still on the car this week for a net 27,000 dollar loss. WHen you mod cars, you lose, so why not let someone else take the loss for me on one of these 350z's?

Then i come over here and 30k could probably get me a decent X with under 75k and some matience done on it with tires that wear out every 5k due to camber issues (or will this be resolved with the new camber kit due for release?) that has 250hp and can yeild around 275 with an addtional 3,000 dollars in I/H/E. I guess i'm just having a hard time commiting to a 12-15 year old car with less HP and modifications then some of these newer things for sale.

Talk me back into the aluminum supercar so i can forget about these friggin nissans....

NSX:
Pros:
- I had sex with my sister Rare Exotic
- Unholy Sound out of the Exhaust
- Amazing Handling
- High Speed Potential
- Could resell a year later for no loss, if not a gain.

Cons:
- Initial Cost
- Mods are Porsche-Priced
- 12-16 year old car.
- All money would be spent procuring a stock NSX as a base to work around.
- Slow (Dyno 250 at the wheels, high 13's stock)
- Hard to get power NA, (I/H/E = 30RWHP Gain)

350Z:
Pros:
- Newer Car, Less miles
- Every girl knows what a 350z is, I have to explain what and why a NSX is so cool to everyone who asks what kind of car i have. It usually results in me pulling up an image on google because everyone thinks i'm buying an RSX.
- Can be purchased for same price as Stock 'X with 450HP, Boost, Volks, 4 Point Stoptechs, Navigation and a Bodykit.
- I dont take the modification loss on buying parts, someone else has.

Cons:
- Everyone and their mothers tit has a 350Z.
- Wont draw as much attention or respect as an NSX would.
- Resale Vlaue is drastically creeping downward
- NESS told me not too.

This is probably going to be the hardest decision i've made in a LONG time.

Thanks for your continued help and opinion guys!

I've come up with this Pros/Cons list and i want to make sure i'm considering everything here.

Not to be rude , but if you have to ask go with the 350Z. We get a lot ( seriously a whole lot ) of people who ask us about the NSX and then they point to it's supposed power short coming. These cars are not about power never have been. Do a lot of people mod their car? Yes! Is it expensive? yes! Most people who ask about the power of the car never ask about the balance of it and how it drives. If balance and driving expierence are important to you then there's no comparison between these two cars. There's a reason why people pay over thirty for these 15 year old cars. All that said get the turbo 350z and have fun modding it and getting all the hp you can out of it. When your ready there will be an NSX waiting:smile:

Hey I am kinda in your boat. Having had a crazy modified S2000 and now NSX I can say I was kinda disappointed with the NSX. I had always wanted one growing up. Now that I have one its not really all that it was cracked up to be. Reason being is I came from a modern 2000+ S2000 to a 91-93 NSX with 02 upgrades. Even then the interior of the 91 and 05 NSX wasnt that different and still looks really aged IMO. The power I did like, the exterior rivals any other Honda.

But if I put a 04 350Z Track Edition with the Esprit kit and black Time Attach Volks dumped 3 inches I guarntee I would get more heads to turn than my lipkit NSX with wheels and drop. Actually the looks would be about equal IMO. Speed would be about the same. I test drove 2 of them back in 2004. Felt the same as my NSX. So its a equal toss up IMO. I would get rid of my NSX for a G35 as well.
Dont get me wrong. The NSX is a great car but my expectations were not met with the car.

TURBO2GO said:
Armando, how do you know he hasn't done that? I think he is looking for NSX owners opinions... and you know I think I can be unbiased even if I own an NSX.

I only know what he asked for, and to ask about the NSX on an NSX forum and think the response wont be biased is crazy.

TURBO2GO said:
I came on here asking for NSX opinions when I was looking at a Maserati... and I gotta say the opinions here helped. And not all said get the NSX. I got plenty o' other recommendations.

Asking people you dont know their opinion on where to spend your money is also crazy.

Armando

my roomate's liscence plate light just fell off from his 350z on the way to lunch today haha...

and turbo or not, if we are in the same place people dont even know his car is there...

that is until everybody that sees this stupid fast and the furious movie wants one so they can be drift king; then it is going to be the most riced out new car you can buy.

I actually would have to disagree with you on that one, only if the 350z has certain additions. In stock form I would agree with you because the 350z looks like any other Nissan Altima out there.:smile:

"and turbo or not, if we are in the same place people dont even know his car is there..."

EndlessNSX said:
Hey I am kinda in your boat. Having had a crazy modified S2000 and now NSX I can say I was kinda disappointed with the NSX. I had always wanted one growing up. Now that I have one its not really all that it was cracked up to be. Reason being is I came from a modern 2000+ S2000 to a 91-93 NSX with 02 upgrades. Even then the interior of the 91 and 05 NSX wasnt that different and still looks really aged IMO. The power I did like, the exterior rivals any other Honda.

But if I put a 04 350Z Track Edition with the Esprit kit and black Time Attach Volks dumped 3 inches I guarntee I would get more heads to turn than my lipkit NSX with wheels and drop. Actually the looks would be about equal IMO. Speed would be about the same. I test drove 2 of them back in 2004. Felt the same as my NSX. So its a equal toss up IMO. I would get rid of my NSX for a G35 as well.
Dont get me wrong. The NSX is a great car but my expectations were not met with the car.

Unfortunate ,but again you bought an old car after being in a new one. Oh I've been in older NSX's and the interior is very different. It's amazing what updates can do. Also the 02 look on a 91-93 just isn't the same as having an actual 02+.

Also the Z with bodykit will only get some stares. Maybe because your car is black you only get a little attention. My Long Beach blue pearl get's so much attention it's embarrassing. Seriously, Fast and Furious guy's are always at my bumper wanting to race. Old and I mean really old people ( men and women ) walk over and ask me what I'm driving. I just had a guy the other day in a red convertible F360 ( with the top down ) do a double take when my car stopped at an intersection and stare while he was driving by. It's just nuts!

A 350Z with a bodykit will only get you ricer attention ,but hey to each his own. You shouldn't have any problems selling your NSX and getting a 350z. Good luck with the sale and thanks for being part of the community.

Anyone have pictures of a 350Z next to an NSX?

P.S. An IS350 is the best 350. :wink:

Good post. I have been in a 2005 NSX and to me it still lacks a lot compared to my S2000. For me they are the same but with sharper new looking, same parts.:wink: What I really want is the new IS350 2 door coupe thats coming out next year. :smile:

WingZ said:
Unfortunate ,but again you bought an old car after being in a new one. Oh I've been in older NSX's and the interior is very different. It's amazing what updates can do. Also the 02 look on a 91-93 just isn't the same as having an actual 02+.

Also the Z with bodykit will only get some stares. Maybe because your car is black you only get a little attention. My Long Beach blue pearl get's so much attention it's embarrassing. Seriously, Fast and Furious guy's are always at my bumper wanting to race. Old and I mean really old people ( men and women ) walk over and ask me what I'm driving. I just had a guy the other day in a red convertible F360 ( with the top down ) do a double take when my car stopped at an intersection and stare while he was driving by. It's just nuts!

A 350Z with a bodykit will only get you ricer attention ,but hey to each his own. You shouldn't have any problems selling your NSX and getting a 350z. Good luck with the sale and thanks for being part of the community.

EndlessNSX said:
Good post. I have been in a 2005 NSX and to me it still lacks a lot compared to my S2000. For me they are the same but with sharper new looking, same parts.:wink: What I really want is the new IS350 2 door coupe thats coming out next year. :smile:

No doubt my 04 S2000 was still more contemporary than my 04 NSX.

For me they are the same but with sharper new looking, same parts.:wink:

LoL that's too funny!

I saw what was a thinnly veiled version of the two IS at the 06 NAIAS. Very nice. NSX isn't for everybody I know because I was pretty disappointed when I bought mine ,but have serioulsy fallen in love it since. I honestly just like looking at it in the garage:smile:

WingZ said:

:confused: A 91's interior is identical to a 2005's interior, besides the leather....
what do you mean VERY different??? Just curious:redface:

Back