• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stock NSX or Boosted 350Z?

EndlessNSX said:
But if I put a 04 350Z Track Edition with the Esprit kit and black Time Attach Volks dumped 3 inches I guarntee I would get more heads to turn than my lipkit NSX with wheels and drop. Actually the looks would be about equal IMO. Speed would be about the same. I test drove 2 of them back in 2004. Felt the same as my NSX. So its a equal toss up IMO. I would get rid of my NSX for a G35 as well.
Dont get me wrong. The NSX is a great car but my expectations were not met with the car.

a 350 would turn more heads??? :eek:

I see about 5-10 350z's a day and lucky to see 1 NSX a month....I have a hard time believing a dime a dozen 350z, tricked out or not, would turn more heads...I'm not knocking the 350's looks, but they are EVERYWHERE:confused:

with that much of a power differential..... if that is what you are into, you may want to consider the boosted z.... this is really like apples and oranges though....

I agree with you to a point. A modified with a clean kit (Esprit kit) 350z lowered about 3 inches with Time Attach Volks will turn heads and is dead even IMO looks wise with a OEM or lip kit NSX. Black 350z with Matte Black Volks. I have seen it in Japan. Very nice.
OEM 350zs or riced out ones I see everyday too. I am talking about a nicely done one.:smile:

91 X said:
a 350 would turn more heads??? :eek:

I see about 5-10 350z's a day and lucky to see 1 NSX a month....I have a hard time believing a dime a dozen 350z, tricked out or not, would turn more heads...I'm not knocking the 350's looks, but they are EVERYWHERE:confused:

You guys have made excellent points. I think the biggest one for me to think about is what happens if i buy a Z and then I pull up next to an NSX... i'm gonna want to hurt myself. Like any project, it takes time, and i want to accomplish my goals with the NSX and hold onto it forever so i probably just need to bite the bullet and pray i get a kickass job so i can get all of the goodies sooner than later.

Anyway, i'm off to test drive a 350 and i hope i hate it. Thanks for your opinions guys.

I have the NSX and my friend Joe has a 350Z Twin Turbo, and I can tell you for sure that his car is deadly fast. The turbos kick in like you got hit by a semi-truck going 100 mph, but the car lacks a certain personality. My NSX may be slower than his car, but I saw probably 25-30 350Z's on the way home which is reason enough for me not to get it. I enjoy being unique, so the more common cars are not usually my thing, but it may be fine for you. If you are looking for the most power and bling for your buck, then buying a tricked out 350Z is not a bad way to go. If you want to be a lot more exotic for about the same amount of money you should get the NSX.

Case in point. We went to a car show recently with Joe's 350Z Twin Turbo and my NSX which looks pretty much stock. The NSX got more attention than his modded out 350Z and I have almost nothing done to my car. Plus, and this is the main reason I have my NSX.....there is nothing in the world like driving it and hearing that air induction and VTEC kick in. It is absolutely one of the best sounds in the world. That is my road....you choose what is best for you. I just hope I helped out a bit. ;)

91 X said:
:confused: A 91's interior is identical to a 2005's interior, besides the leather....
what do you mean VERY different??? Just curious:redface:

Hey 91 X

I'm a detail person and there are quite a few little things ,not just material changes. Check FAQ for model year changes and you can see a list of all the little changes that add up to a very different interior. At least to me. Of course you can clearly see similarities. Also if you search you'll see threads from people who owned earlier models and they list that they found the cars different even from 97 to 02. 04-05 interior slightly different than the 02's again small differences over the years. Also after checking the FAQ you can see all the changes between 91-04 not just interior and can't possibly say they're still just the same:biggrin:

Last edited:
BTW- I owned a 350Z and tricked it out...I was about to buy a twin turbo from APS when I sold it and got my NSX. I haven't missed the car a day.

I'm really happy I got $25.5k for it last year...I think it's worth about $20k now. ouch. I'm so happy I dump all that money into a turbo...

211065_107_full.jpg

211065_109_full.jpg

My cousin has a mildly modded 350Z (JIC susp., BPUs, HKS supercharger, BBK) and whenever I ride in it and remark about how fast it feels (it really is kinda impressive) he always says "yeah, but it's no NSX".

Regarding the interior discussion: the interiors of any (stock; interior mods are sometimes questionable) NSX look better to me than the cheap and plasticky interiors of the Z. I always feel like the doors are too tall, like I'm sunken in too deep in relation to the car.

An older lady in the bank parking lot: I've always loved those cars!
A friend with a heavily modded STi (he owns a scooby shop): you have the best import ever made.
A friend with a C5 Z06: does your car rattle and creek? (my reply: no) Man.. mine does.
A (hawt) girl in a C6 pulls up next to me at a light: That's an Acura? (my reply: yeah) Nice! (my reply: want to go for a spin?)

In all the times I've ever been in my cousin's car (he's got an Ing's body kit and PIAA wheels) *nobody* has *ever* said anything about his car.

The 350 is a nice car... just like the other 250,000 of them.

J

02#154 said:
My cousin has a mildly modded 350Z (JIC susp., BPUs, HKS supercharger, BBK) and whenever I ride in it and remark about how fast it feels (it really is kinda impressive) he always says "yeah, but it's no NSX".

Regarding the interior discussion: the interiors of any (stock; interior mods are sometimes questionable) NSX look better to me than the cheap and plasticky interiors of the Z. I always feel like the doors are too tall, like I'm sunken in too deep in relation to the car.

An older lady in the bank parking lot: I've always loved those cars!
A friend with a heavily modded STi (he owns a scooby shop): you have the best import ever made.
A friend with a C5 Z06: does your car rattle and creek? (my reply: no) Man.. mine does.
A (hawt) girl in a C6 pulls up next to me at a light: That's an Acura? (my reply: yeah) Nice! (my reply: want to go for a spin?)

In all the times I've ever been in my cousin's car (he's got an Ing's body kit and PIAA wheels) *nobody* has *ever* said anything about his car.

The 350 is a nice car... just like the other 250,000 of them.

J

See this is what non NSX owners just don't understand. Heck I own one and I don't even understand it. How can a car that sold so few draw so many people from all generations. You can be doing 90mph on the freeway and kids will swerve in and out of traffic to catch up to you to take pictures. Insanity!

WingZ said:
Hey 91 X

I'm a detail person and there are quite a few little things ,not just material changes. Check FAQ for model year changes and you can see a list of all the little changes that add up to a very different interior. At least to me. Of course you can clearly see similarities. Also if you search you'll see threads from people who owned earlier models and they list that they found the cars different even from 97 to 02. 04-05 interior slightly different than the 02's again small differences over the years. Also after checking the FAQ you can see all the changes between 91-04 not just interior and can't possibly say they're still just the same:biggrin:

maybe small differences, but from 4 feet away they are identical:biggrin:
I wouldn't say "very different" It's the same design for 15 years, cuz they did it right the first time:smile: :cool:

all of my(jealous:tongue: ) friends and family that sit in the driver seat of my NSX comment about the "cockpit" feel of the NSX and wish they had one....:smile:

There's an old saying.....don't put off tomorrow what you can do today......GET THE NSX! :cool:

91 X said:
maybe small differences, but from 4 feet away they are identical:biggrin:
I wouldn't say "very different" It's the same design for 15 years, cuz they did it right the first time:smile: :cool:

all of my(jealous:tongue: ) friends and family that sit in the driver seat of my NSX comment about the "cockpit" feel of the NSX and wish they had one....:smile:

Alright bro I won't argue you with ya:biggrin:

da3dalus said:
You guys have made excellent points. I think the biggest one for me to think about is what happens if i buy a Z and then I pull up next to an NSX... i'm gonna want to hurt myself. Like any project, it takes time, and i want to accomplish my goals with the NSX and hold onto it forever so i probably just need to bite the bullet and pray i get a kickass job so i can get all of the goodies sooner than later.

Anyway, i'm off to test drive a 350 and i hope i hate it. Thanks for your opinions guys.

What's great is that NSXs are so rare, this will probably never happen.

Well i went a drove one... not impressed. Car felt heavy and slow. I wasnt impressed with the build quality either... and the orange peel in all of the paint is hideous. That reason alone i could never own one. I think i just needed to get this out of my system so i can go ahead with the purchase and truly feel good about what i've done.

I also went and drove a IS350 becuase the dealership was right next door... it really makes me want a luxury sedan for all of the creature comforts like A/C, no noise in the cabin, a truly magnificent interior, and a dash that is to die for... but i was thinking about it on the way home, and the NSX is going to be the car to take out on the nice days and nights and drive hard, and come back with my ears ringing from the exhaust and a grin on my face. That is what the car is all about, and i think i'm starting to get that now... I dont want the IS, i dont want the 350Z, i want to be unique, rare, reliable, and fun all at the same time and the NSX is the only way i'm going to be happy with what i'm driving.

Thanks for your comments guys...

Buy the NSX.
Drive it for 6 months if you dont like it sell it for what you paid.
Then buy the 350z for probably a couple grand less than currently priced.
If you buy the 350z first you will lose, buy the NSX first, you can't lose.

-j-

P.S. If you must go Nissan I'd go g35, more classy but still tons of mods avail.

da3dalus said:
Well i went a drove one... not impressed. Car felt heavy and slow. I wasnt impressed with the build quality either... and the orange peel in all of the paint is hideous. That reason alone i could never own one. I think i just needed to get this out of my system so i can go ahead with the purchase and truly feel good about what i've done.

I also went and drove a IS350 becuase the dealership was right next door... it really makes me want a luxury sedan for all of the creature comforts like A/C, no noise in the cabin, a truly magnificent interior, and a dash that is to die for... but i was thinking about it on the way home, and the NSX is going to be the car to take out on the nice days and nights and drive hard, and come back with my ears ringing from the exhaust and a grin on my face. That is what the car is all about, and i think i'm starting to get that now... I dont want the IS, i dont want the 350Z, i want to be unique, rare, reliable, and fun all at the same time and the NSX is the only way i'm going to be happy with what i'm driving.

Well said. You can always get a Legend 94-95 LS/GS 6 spd, put a Weapon R Secret Weapon intake, Koni sportkit and a rear Addco sway bar and have a fantastic daily driver for around $8-10K.

You derserve a NSX. Get the car you "REALLY" wants, don't settle for another car and then have 2nd thoughts later.

If you have to get something heavily modified with $29k, why 350Z? how about a LS1 swapped 3rd gen RX-7 or BPU+++ 6spd Supra? These cars have great resell value and turn more heads than a perfectly modded 350Z IMHO.

da3dalus said:
NSX:
Cons:
- Mods are Porsche-Priced
I actually thought the price of NSX mods are fairly reasonable compare to Porsche:confused:

da3dalus said:
Well i went a drove one... not impressed. Car felt heavy and slow.
Was it boosted? I think they're kind of slow too, but a boosted one oughta haul. Agree with the other points too, and I'm a big fan of Nissan.

Just traded my 350z to get my nsx. NO REGRETS. Hopefully that will help

Attachments

• nsx 005.jpg
    nsx 005.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 123
da3dalus said:

By George I think he's got it!

xtter said:
Just traded my 350z to get my nsx. NO REGRETS. Hopefully that will help
And look at that picture. I am always amazed that the G35 looks sooooo much better than the 350z. The rear of the 350z is simply butt ugly.
Steve

da3dalus said:

Let the mass stroking begin for choosing the right car.:rolleyes: Hmmm did Prime have anything to do with it?

Armando

Back