• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supra vs. NSX??

The Supra is a fantastic car, but I find that in these kind of debates the only answer that the Supra fans really want to hear is that the NSX is an overpriced POS that only has exclusivity (and that's only due to it's high price), while the Supra is the finest sports car value ever produced that excels in any category and is only, barely, matched by the SRT-10. It's odd that friends I have *in Japan* don't share this sentiment and are mystified why the Skyline GTR and Supra have achieved SO much notoriety in the US when they arent considered all THAT interesting in their native country where they're (still) available. [/B]

You hit the nail right on the head here.
The thing is that all the hype and movies surrounding the Supra and the GTR's have made them mysterious, glamerous, over priced and over valued. I too love the Supra for what it's abilities, but not more than the NSX.

BITeR said:
great, but you don't sound too happy!?!

haha its all good
i've alwayz dreamed of making an nsx with 900+ hp like the supras! :D haha but maybe it aint possible without a lot of money

:rolleyes: hmm.. but im curious.. hehe what do you need to do to the nsx to make it a fast dragster like the supra (900 hp) :D

i love the nsx it looks crazy and from what i've heard it drivez crazy

can't wait to get one;)

I saw one I saw one !

Today, I was driving behind one with a F badge in the back (hm... may be I can post about this in the other thread about putting F badges on wrong cars) I took picture with my mobile phone camera, can't see the badge, but I might upload it later...

anyway, I thought CRXs are quicker at 1/4 mile than supras :p

Fatal-NSX said:
i love the nsx it looks crazy and from what i've heard it drivez crazy

can't wait to get one;)

Well, you should wait. A college campus is not a good place to have an NSX, as you'll find out when you go away this fall. So I would suggest waiting for at least the next four years, and then for at least another while afterwards while you are busy spending money on finding your first job and setting up your first apartment.

Fatal-NSX said:
hmm.. but im curious.. hehe what do you need to do to the nsx to make it a fast dragster like the supra (900 hp) :D
I'm sure Adam Saruwatari's drag NSX is about as powerful as can be practically done with any resemblence to the original engine. Why you'd want to turn the NSX into a dragster is beyond me though.

just like 8uviper, I currently own both NSX and Supra tt, i would like to provide some feedback if i may..

First of all, i would have to say i love them both. And i can not really tell you which one i like better. It is like your sons or daughters, they are their personality & their own traits..

Remember, this is NSX forum, most feedbacks i read here are are very biased. Not very fair at all.. eg. style (apparence of a car) is in the eyes of beholder.. and Supra is NOT a merely drag car, come on. People think Supra is only a drag car because of its hp/tq, and it tends to leave heavy impression for its acceleration ability. Most fellow supra owners that i know do a lot more than just drag race. I use it for other stuffs.. like geocery shopping, carring more than 2 people, etc. Can you do that with your NSX? :p

anyways.. My opinion:

Supra advantage:
- 400 rwhp / 400 tq at less than $ 800 mod. There is nothing like it when both turbos kick in.
- reliable, inexpensive to maintain.
- outstanding track car, very forgiven

Supra disadvantage:
- relatively heavy- 3,550 lbs
- king of Riceboy (thanks to all boy racer) riceboy try you race you ALL THE TIME.. day/nite, gets really old..
- so many young kids have it now days, dont feel as special driving it.

NSX advantage:
- exotic dream car for many.
- style is for everyone, even for ppl dont know much about cars
- MR, great track car once you learn how to master MR

NSX disadvantage:
- So pricey
- expensive to mod, expensive to fix
- for a lite car, it eats tire twice as fast as supra... OUCH

Again, to me, they are both wonderful cars. And i am lucky to have them both.

-jjc.
93 NSX 6 spds (stock + 6spds)
93 Supra 6 spds (heavily moded- double rwhp & tq of my NSX)

spookyp said:
It's odd that friends I have *in Japan* don't share this sentiment and are mystified why the Skyline GTR and Supra have achieved SO much notoriety in the US when they arent considered all THAT interesting in their native country where they're (still) available.

The most ignorant comment I have ever seen, sorry.

GTRs are highly rated here.

Supras are less powerful than their US counterparts (shows you know nothing about them), but no less popular.

JJCNSX said:
just like 8uviper, I currently own both NSX and Supra tt, i would like to provide some feedback if i may..

First of all, i would have to say i love them both. And i can not really tell you which one i like better. It is like your sons or daughters, they are their personality & their own traits..

Remember, this is NSX forum, most feedbacks i read here are are very biased. Not very fair at all.. eg. style (apparence of a car) is in the eyes of beholder.. and Supra is NOT a merely drag car, come on. People think Supra is only a drag car because of its hp/tq, and it tends to leave heavy impression for its acceleration ability. Most fellow supra owners that i know do a lot more than just drag race. I use it for other stuffs.. like geocery shopping, carring more than 2 people, etc. Can you do that with your NSX? :p

anyways.. My opinion:

Supra advantage:
- 400 rwhp / 400 tq at less than $ 800 mod. There is nothing like it when both turbos kick in.
- reliable, inexpensive to maintain.
- outstanding track car, very forgiven

Supra disadvantage:
- relatively heavy- 3,550 lbs
- king of Riceboy (thanks to all boy racer) riceboy try you race you ALL THE TIME.. day/nite, gets really old..
- so many young kids have it now days, dont feel as special driving it.

NSX advantage:
- exotic dream car for many.
- style is for everyone, even for ppl dont know much about cars
- MR, great track car once you learn how to master MR

NSX disadvantage:
- So pricey
- expensive to mod, expensive to fix
- for a lite car, it eats tire twice as fast as supra... OUCH

Again, to me, they are both wonderful cars. And i am lucky to have them both.

-jjc.
93 NSX 6 spds (stock + 6spds)
93 Supra 6 spds (heavily moded- double rwhp & tq of my NSX)

You've listed some good points about both cars, however, I think you are more concerned about looks and presence of each cars.

- Supra seats 4-4 1/2 people, NSX seats only 2. Supra is far bigger than the NSX, making it a far more practical car to use.
- Supra is a supercar in its own right, it was part of the Japanese supercar gang of 4 (300zx, Supra, GTO, RX7).
- It is a great track car. May not have had the huge success that the GTRs had, but it was still better than many other cars that were more expensive.
- Handling can always be fixed. Upgrade the suspensions and you will have a car worthy of racing with the big boys (Ferraris etc).
- A FI and an NA of the same car (Toyota did build FI and NA supras) drive differently. For the average driver, It is far more difficult to control a turboed car than an NA. People who knows FI will know what I'm talking about.
If you are a great driver who really understand your car, then FI will always kick arses on the track. NSX may be light and all that, but fast it is not. Even if you add FI, it is no longer the same car and will in fact change the whole characteristics about the car.
I suspect that the driver of the 500++ hp Supra does not know how to track his car properly. He might have upgraded the power, but what about the brakes, suspensions etc etc?

Both are great cars in their own right, however don't be mislead into thinking that the NSX is fast and that the Supra is not a great track car.

spookyp said:

The Supra is a fantastic car, but I find that in these kind of debates the only answer that the Supra fans really want to hear is that the NSX is an overpriced POS that only has exclusivity (and that's only due to it's high price),

Haha....looks like somebody has perhaps been reading some supra forums? :) There are pages that are filled with posts conveying that opinion.

I love the supra community, don't get me wrong, but, for many, there seems to be nothing but emphasis on peak hp.......apparently it's the end all be all for some.

I personally have never driven an NSX, but from what I've seen and read it's a sweet car. I do love my supra, but, as many say......they're just different beasts.

Tony
Damn that giant spoiler!!!!! ricers don't leave me alone!!!

Back