• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supreme Court says Bush acted illegally

WingZ said:
...because of our illegal occupation of Iraq?

Huh? :confused:

Yeah, I've heard this before, from Saddam...and Ramsey Clark!

So, is our illegal occupation of Iraq anything like our illegal occupation of Serbia?

Didn't Clinton go to war in Serbia without Congressional approval? Did Serbia pose a military threat to our national security? At least President Bush got approval from Congress after 9/11 for waging a war on global Islamic terrorism and the war in Iraq.

BTW: I didn't have a problem with Clinton's actions in Serbia. I just find it interesting that the same people criticizing Bush were silent about Serbia.

Last edited:
Jimbo said:
Huh? :confused:

Yeah, I've heard this before, from Saddam...and Ramsey Clark!

So, is our illegal occupation of Iraq anything like our illegal occupation of Serbia?

Didn't Clinton go to war in Serbia without Congressional approval? Did Serbia pose a military threat to our national security? At least President Bush got approval from Congress after 9/11 for waging a war on global Islamic terrorism and the war in Iraq.

BTW: I didn't have a problem with Clinton's actions in Serbia. I just find it interesting that the same people criticizing Bush were silent about Serbia.

Actually you've heard this before from the U.N as well as some of our allies. Our allies were in favor of disarming Iraq through inspections. Iraq was complying. Bush said get out of power and Saddam refused. Iraq was never a threat to us and so far the world isn't a better place w/o Saddam. What do I mean by that? Take a look at Iraq now and before the invasion. If you followed the situation before hand you'll note that although Saddam ruled harshly he kept those three groups ( Kurds , Sunnis and Shites ) in fairly peaceful coexitense. Iraq also kept Iran at bay with the threat of possible WMD's. Iran knew they could only go so far w/o risking war with Iraq. Now take a look at the threat Iran can grow to. See the bloody fighting in the streets. What do hear over here? We hear that our soldiers ( men and women, mothers ,fathers ,aunts and uncles ) our dying to protect our freedom. Iraq never threatened our freedom! OUR people our dying for no good reason over there. Can we pull out? Hell no! the whole country would collapse in weeks. The catch twenty two position we're in is terrible. At least Haliburton is making billions.

Oh and don't give me that Saddam was killing his own people bull$h!t ,because we never once in this country accuse our forefathers of murder for killing slaves back in the day. America is so hypocritical it's not funny!

Jimbo said:
Hey, no reason to get all testy and start name calling. :tongue:

What currently is legal and or illegal is exactly the point, and the issue at hand, isn't it? The legal world is often a game of semantics. It's rather simple.

Does the administration's argument that the authorization to use force granted by the Congress constitute an approval for this government to listen in on domestic communications to al Qaeda members overseas, with controls and oversight, but without a court approved warrant?

BTW: Clinton was not impeached for a BJ. He was impeached for lying under oath. The BJ was incidental. And I would have not put myself into such a position in the first place, so don't presume, OK?

I find it interesting when people dismiss this issue of the BJ so cavalierly. In that whole sordid affair, the thing that bothered me most about the BJ issue wasn't the moral implications, but rather the potential issue of blackmail. It was incredibly stupid for Clinton to put himself into a position where the possibility of blackmail, security breaches, etc could have taken place.

Let me also add, legality and morality don't have to coincide. FDR and the Congress made the Japanese internment camps legal, but some would say the interment was immoral. Just like today, abortion is legal but some would say it is immoral.

I beg to differ regarding the importance of "legality" as the laws and constitution are currently written. My opinion of this wiretap issue, without oversight, on U.S. citizens, would not be any different if Congress passed a law explicitly making it legal (and written such that it didn't violate the Constitution). Sure, if that happened, the calls for impeachment would be baseless. But it wouldn't change whether/not I agree with it as a violation of my rights. In other words, I wouldn't be content to sit down and say "Oh, Okay, now I'm satisfied." if Congress passed such a law (think Patriot Act).

As for Clinton's BJ and Serbia - fallacious logic, because (even if perfectly comparable, which they aren't) those past events, whether right or wrong, don't justify current events that I'm arguing are wrong. It's like trying to get out of a speeding ticket by saying, "But Officer, you didn't ticket me last week when I was ALSO doing 70 in a 55."

However, I will be a cavalier and say that Clinton's johnson, and the sordid deception he used to avoid being busted cheating on his wife, is not of personal interest to me or a matter of national security. But, rest assured it won't happen again, because the Feds will be listening to Lynda Tripp as she records her steamy conversations with Monica. :rolleyes:

To lighten the mood in this thread a little, I thought I'd toss out there what the Patriot Act actually stands for. Catchy acronym if I do say so myself: :rolleyes:

`Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism (USA PATRIOT ACT) Act of 2001' :eek:

heard this a while ago...
Politicians Attacking Traditional Rights Instead Of Terrorists Act

WingZ said:
Actually you've heard this before from the U.N as well as some of our allies. Our allies were in favor of disarming Iraq through inspections. Iraq was complying. Bush said get out of power and Saddam refused. Iraq was never a threat to us and so far the world isn't a better place w/o Saddam. What do I mean by that? Take a look at Iraq now and before the invasion. If you followed the situation before hand you'll note that although Saddam ruled harshly he kept those three groups ( Kurds , Sunnis and Shites ) in fairly peaceful coexitense. Iraq also kept Iran at bay with the threat of possible WMD's. Iran knew they could only go so far w/o risking war with Iraq. Now take a look at the threat Iran can grow to. See the bloody fighting in the streets. What do hear over here? We hear that our soldiers ( men and women, mothers ,fathers ,aunts and uncles ) our dying to protect our freedom. Iraq never threatened our freedom! OUR people our dying for no good reason over there. Can we pull out? Hell no! the whole country would collapse in weeks. The catch twenty two position we're in is terrible. At least Haliburton is making billions.

Oh and don't give me that Saddam was killing his own people bull$h!t ,because we never once in this country accuse our forefathers of murder for killing slaves back in the day. America is so hypocritical it's not funny!

Oh, the wonderful UN, Kofi Annan and the Oil For Food program. And our wonderful Allies (French, Germans and Russia) who were benefitting from same and from selling stuff to Iraq. This is the same Kofi Annan who claimed the Israelis targeted UN people on purpose.

And as far as threatening our freedom, did Serbia, Haiti, Rwanda, Somalia ever threaten our freedom?

Iraq was not complying, they were dragging their feet and putting conditions on the UN inspectors. Here's a chronology of their wonderful record on compliance....

http://cns.miis.edu/research/iraq/uns_chro.htm

It's no wonder Iraq-Saddam drug their feet. After all, they stalled and played the UN for 12 years. But now we know it was all about the oil and money via the Oil for Food debacle.

Anyway, Saddam used up his last change years ago with Clinton...

http://www.cnn.com/US/9812/16/clinton.iraq.speech/

How many last chances and years (12?) were needed?

I guess we'll see how effective the UN will be with PRK and Iran. I'm sure they're looking forward to 12 years of playing games.

My opinion of this wiretap issue, without oversight, on U.S. citizens, would not be any different if Congress passed a law explicitly making it legal...

There is significant oversight and a number of restrictions.

I love how this is often categorized as "spying on American citizens." Of course, no one has put forth any instances of abuse of this program. Remember that this warrantless surveillance can ONLY be applied on overseas communications with al Qaeda. American citizens (or most likely illegals here on expired visas, etc) who are communicating with al Qaeda overseas...

Now there's a group of people who's rights we want to protect!

One thing I'd like to know...

Where were all you guys who are complaining about warrentless searches, when President Clinton signed Executive Order 12949?

Please take a few minutes to read the order...

http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/eo/eo-12949.htm

This order expanded FISA to enable the legal authority to approve black-bag operations to authorize Department of Justice (DoJ) requests to conduct physical as well as electronic searches, without obtaining a warrant in open court, without notifying the subject, without providing an inventory of items seized. The targets need not be under suspicion of committing a crime, but may be investigated when probable cause results solely from their associations or status: for example, belonging to, or aiding and abetting organizations deemed to pose a threat to U.S. national security.

Sounds to me like President Bush and Atty General Gonzales already had the authorization to do warrantless activities, even without the Congress OK to use force.

And 12949 had pretty much no restrictions other than deeming that it posed a threat to national security. At least with the current activities, there's oversight and a requirement of an overseas al Qaeda connection.

Last edited:
Ski_Banker said:
If you believe that this War on Terrorism can be won by "killing all the terrorists", you are as stupid as the keyboard I'm typing on.
I would go one step further: If you believe that this "War on Terrorism" can be won, you're wrong. We will never see an end to terrorism during our lifetimes (or during our grandchildren's lifetimes, most likely). It's like the War on Poverty or the War on Drugs; these are problems which will continue to exist. That does not mean that nothing can, or should, be done to fight them, only that they will never go away entirely, and may not even diminish in prevalence.

Getting back to the topic at hand - the legality of the administration's electronic eavesdropping activities - I see that no one has yet answered my question, why the administration couldn't have simply gotten secret court orders in such cases, as provided by existing law. Again, it seems there is no answer, other than outright incompetence and/or a belief that they are above the requirements of the law.

As for the legality of those activities, Jimbo is correct when he states that that issue will eventually be decided by the courts, most likely by the U.S. Supreme Court, the ultimate judicial authority in our country. As noted in today's New York Times, quite a few experts think that the current program will eventually be declared illegal, although - interestingly - for reasons other than those declared by Judge Taylor in the current case:

Experts Fault Reasoning in Surveillance Decision

By ADAM LIPTAK

Published: August 19, 2006

Even legal experts who agreed with a federal judge’s conclusion on Thursday that a National Security Agency surveillance program is unlawful were distancing themselves from the decision’s reasoning and rhetoric yesterday.

They said the opinion overlooked important precedents, failed to engage the government’s major arguments, used circular reasoning, substituted passion for analysis and did not even offer the best reasons for its own conclusions.

Discomfort with the quality of the decision is almost universal, said Howard J. Bashman, a Pennsylvania lawyer whose Web log provides comprehensive and nonpartisan reports on legal developments.

“It does appear,” Mr. Bashman said, “that folks on all sides of the spectrum, both those who support it and those who oppose it, say the decision is not strongly grounded in legal authority.”

The main problems, scholars sympathetic to the decision’s bottom line said, is that the judge, Anna Diggs Taylor, relied on novel and questionable constitutional arguments when more straightforward statutory ones were available.

She ruled, for instance, that the program, which eavesdrops without court permission on international communications of people in the United States, violated the First Amendment because it might have chilled the speech of people who feared they might have been monitored.

That ruling is “rather innovative” and “not a particularly good argument,” Jack Balkin, a law professor at Yale who believes the program is illegal, wrote on his Web log.

Judge Taylor also ruled that the program violated the Fourth Amendment’s ban on unreasonable searches and seizures. But scholars said she failed to take account of the so-called “special needs” exception to the amendment’s requirement that the government obtain a warrant before engaging in some surveillance unrelated to routine law enforcement. “It’s just a few pages of general ruminations about the Fourth Amendment, much of it incomplete and some of it simply incorrect,” Orin S. Kerr, a law professor at George Washington University who believes the administration’s legal justifications for the program are weak, said of Judge Taylor’s Fourth Amendment analysis on a Web log called the Volokh Conspiracy.

Judge Taylor gave less attention to the more modest statutory argument that has been widely advanced by critics of the program. They say that it violates a 1978 law requiring warrants from a secret court and that neither a 2001 Congressional authorization to use military force against Al Qaeda nor the president’s constitutional authority allowed the administration to ignore the law. A recent Supreme Court decision strengthened that argument. Judge Taylor did not cite it.

Some scholars speculated that Judge Taylor, of the Federal District Court in Detroit, may have rushed her decision lest the case be consolidated with several others now pending in federal court in San Francisco or moved to a specialized court in Washington as contemplated by pending legislation. Judge Taylor heard the last set of arguments in the case a little more than a month ago.

The decision has been appealed, and legal scholars said Judge Taylor had done the American Civil Liberties Union, which represents the plaintiffs, few favors beyond handing it a victory. On the other hand, they added, the appeals court is bound to examine the legal arguments in the case afresh in any event.

Indeed, Cass R. Sunstein, a law professor at the University of Chicago, predicted that the plaintiffs would win the case on appeal, but not for the reasons Judge Taylor gave.

“The chances that the Bush program will be upheld are not none, but slim,” Professor Sunstein said. “The chances that this judge’s analysis will be adopted are also slim.”

Eugene Volokh, a law professor at the University of California, Los Angeles, who presides over the Volokh Conspiracy Web log and says he is skeptical of the legality of the wiretapping program, called the decision “not just ill-reasoned, but rhetorically ill-conceived.”

“If I were the A.C.L.U.,” Professor Volokh said, “I would rather have a decision that came across as more-in-sorrow-than-in-anger and that was as deliberate, meticulous, thoughtful and studiously impartial as possible.”

Anthony Romero, the executive director of the A.C.L.U., said Judge Taylor’s decision represented vindication of established limits on the scope of executive authority.

“Ultimately,” Mr. Romero said, “any doubts about the decision will be taken up on appeal by sitting federal judges rather than pundits or commentators.”

Judge Taylor, a longtime trial court judge who was appointed by President Jimmy Carter, enjoys a good reputation among lawyers who have appeared before her, according to anonymous comments collected by the Almanac of the Federal Judiciary.

“Lawyers interviewed rated Taylor high in legal ability,” the almanac concluded. The eight quoted comments ranged from enthusiastic (“She is smart as hell”) to lukewarm (“She is competent”).

Supporters of the program, disclosed by The New York Times in December, suggested that Judge Taylor’s opinion was as good a way to lose as any.

“It’s hard to exaggerate how bad it is,” said John R. Schmidt, a Justice Department official in the Clinton administration who says the program is legal. He pointed to Judge Taylor’s failure to cite what he called several pertinent decisions, including one from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court of Review in 2002 that said it took for granted that Congress “could not encroach on the president’s constitutional power” to conduct warrantless surveillance to obtain foreign intelligence.

The decision also failed to cite a Supreme Court decision in June helpful to the plaintiffs, a group of journalists, scholars, lawyers and nonprofit organizations. The decision, Hamdan v. Rumsfeld, struck down the administration’s plans to try prisoners at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, as war criminals. It was widely interpreted as a rebuke to the administration’s expansive conception of executive power.

“After Hamdan,” Professor Sunstein said, “this program is not easy to defend.”

Professor Balkin said there was a rushed quality to Judge Taylor’s decision, but he added that her reason for moving fast may have been the laudable one of assuring that more than one appeals court would have the opportunity to pass on the legality of the program.

Martin S. Lederman, a former Justice Department official who believes the program is illegal, said he found the contrast between Justice John Paul Stevens’s approach in Hamdan and Judge Taylor’s in the wiretapping case telling.

“Justice Stevens was criticized for not including sound bites and sweeping constitutional interpretation,” Mr. Lederman said. Judge Taylor’s decision, by contrast, he said, “was meant for headlines.”

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

Ken,

What's your take on the legality of Executive Order 12949?

As for your question...

The reasoning given by the administration is that the current FISA laws are too restrictive and time consuming to be effective in stemming this overseas communications with al Qaeda. Clearly there are problems with FISA. Even Senator Feinstein (hardly a supporter of the current administration) has admitted this.

I don't believe there's any reason to infer incompetence or to think the administration is above the law, when it's generally agreed on both sides that FISA has limitations.

I also took note to this comment referenced in your post...

“It’s hard to exaggerate how bad it is,” said John R. Schmidt, a Justice Department official in the Clinton administration who says the program is legal. He pointed to Judge Taylor’s failure to cite what he called several pertinent decisions, including one from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court of Review in 2002 that said it took for granted that Congress “could not encroach on the president’s constitutional power” to conduct warrantless surveillance to obtain foreign intelligence.

Obviously there's a reasonable difference of opinion as to the legality.

-J

Jimbo said:
What's your take on the legality of Executive Order 12949?
I don't know enough about it to answer that question.

Jimbo said:
The reasoning given by the administration is that the current FISA laws are too restrictive and time consuming to be effective in stemming this overseas communications with al Qaeda.
That just sounds like pure nonsense to me, a contrived and illogical excuse and nothing more. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this point.

Jimbo said:
Obviously there's a reasonable difference of opinion as to the legality.
Obviously this is true (and I didn't state otherwise). Just as obviously, only five opinions that will matter in the ultimate determination of its legality; yours and mine, and those cited in the article, are not among the nine from which those five will be derived.

Ski_Banker said:
Using Clinton's actions as JUSTIFICATION for Bush's is fallacious logic, because (even if perfectly comparable, which they aren't) those past events, whether right or wrong, don't justify current events that I'm arguing are wrong. It's like trying to get out of a speeding ticket by saying, "But Officer, you didn't ticket me last week when I was ALSO doing 70 in a 55."

Jimbo/Others - rather than skirting the issue of Bush's spy program, by pointing to questionable actions by Clinton, why don't you actually formulate an argument we haven't heard on Fox News and defend your position. I'm going to keep a running tab of "questions" that NSXSTASY, Wingz, myself, and a few others have posed. None of which have been actually addressed or directly responded too. Bonus points if you can make your argument concise, poignant, and not use the words/phrases: "Clinton" (irrelevant), "War on Terror" and "different world since 9/11."

The list:
1. Why liquid explosives in airports hasn't been addressed in 5 years
2. Why the existing FISA system is completely flawed and should be bypassed, given that warrants are always granted (and can be issued "after" the search begins). Honda "tweaked" the NSX for 14 years, rather than ditching it.
3. (My favorite) How you "win the War on Terror" when the terrorists are being driven by a belief/ideology/concept, and the number of terrorists is not finite.
4. (I'll add a new one :tongue: ) Why haven't we caught Osama bin Laden? It has been 5 years for Christ's sake. It only took the U.S.A 9 years, from start to finish, to put a man on the moon.

My "answer" to numbers 1 & 4 is generally the same: Incompetence, and that this "War on Terror" is figurative/political far more than we'd like to believe. :rolleyes:

Also, if you want to discuss Clinton, please just start a new thread. We might very well agree on some of your Clinton points too :)

nsxtasy said:
I don't know enough about it to answer that question.

That just sounds like pure nonsense to me, a contrived and illogical excuse and nothing more. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this point.

Obviously this is true (and I didn't state otherwise). Just as obviously, only five opinions that will matter in the ultimate determination of its legality; yours and mine, and those cited in the article, are not among the nine from which those five will be derived.

Ken,

Then I guess we kind of agree that he ultimate arbiter of legally could well be the Supreme Court.

And of course, unless we were privy to the classified information, we would never know whether or not it's contrived or illegal. When both, Dems and Reps agree that FISA has limitation, I think it's reasonable to they're telling the truth.

-J

Ski_Banker said:
Jimbo/Others - rather than skirting the issue of Bush's spy program, by pointing to questionable actions by Clinton, why don't you actually formulate an argument we haven't heard on Fox News and defend your position. I'm going to keep a running tab of "questions" that NSXSTASY, Wingz, myself, and a few others have posed. None of which have been actually addressed or directly responded too. Bonus points if you can make your argument concise, poignant, and not use the words/phrases: "Clinton" (irrelevant), "War on Terror" and "different world since 9/11."

The list:
2. Why the existing FISA system is completely flawed and should be bypassed, given that warrants are always granted (and can be issued "after" the search begins). Honda "tweaked" the NSX for 14 years, rather than ditching it.
3. (My favorite) How you "win the War on Terror" when the terrorists are being driven by a belief/ideology/concept, and the number of terrorists is not finite.
4. (I'll add a new one :tongue: ) Why haven't we caught Osama bin Laden? It has been 5 years for Christ's sake. It only took the U.S.A 9 years, from start to finish, to put a man on the moon.

My "answer" to numbers 1 & 4 is generally the same: Incompetence, and that this "War on Terror" is figurative/political far more than we'd like to believe. :rolleyes:

Also, if you want to discuss Clinton, please just start a new thread. We might very well agree on some of your Clinton points too :)

Ski,

I bring up Clinton because only because the issue of warrentless activities have a precedent. This is not about Clinton, per se. I'm not arguing that Clinton did it, so Bush should be allowed to do it. I'm saying that the laws Clinton operated under, as well as the laws Clinton signed into being (i.e. Executive Order 12949) should apply equally to Bush as they did to Clinton.

And per NSXTASY's post...

Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court of Review in 2002 that said it took for granted that Congress “could not encroach on the president’s constitutional power” to conduct warrantless surveillance to obtain foreign intelligence.

I had forgotten about this Court of Review. This prior quote is pretty concise and clear in my book.

To your points...

1. I don't know that liquid explosives haven't been addressed or contemplated in the past 5 years. Bomb "sniffers" that would detect explosive liquids have been discussed and contemplated for a long time prior to 9-11. So, I think your point is fallacious.

2. Your postulation that FISA is completely flawed and should be bypassed is false. No one in the Bush administration has made that claim. The only claim I've read is that FISA has shortcomings when dealing with overseas communications with al Qaeda. Both Dems and Reps agree FISA needs revisions.

3. How do I answer #3 without referring to the "War on Terror?" Don't you think that's kind of a setup? Anyway, I'll do my best... The belief or concept as you call it, that's driving modern terrorism (since 1960-70s) is the belief that Israel does not have the right to exist. This war against Zionism has been going on for a long time, but most recently since 1948. I honestly don't know how to solve this problem where one group denies the right for another sovereign country to exist.

4. What does putting a Man on the Moon have to do with catching Osama? He's obviously very good at hiding. We have caught or killed many others. I'm not prepared to call our armed forces incompetent because of this.

PS: What's your take on Ex Order 12949?

Jimbo said:
1. I don't know that liquid explosives haven't been addressed or contemplated in the past 5 years. Bomb "sniffers" that would detect explosive liquids have been discussed and contemplated for a long time prior to 9-11. So, I think your point is fallacious.
Nonsense. Just because something is discussed and contemplated, but not used, does not mean that a problem is addressed. In fact, it has NOT been addressed until now, now that someone has actually been caught planning to use those liquids.

It's just like with shipping containers. Every article I've read about our vulnerability to terrorist attacks notes that only about 2 percent of the shipping containers entering the country are actually inspected, and that this is one of the biggest holes in our system. But the administration doesn't want to spend the money to hire and train inspectors for those shipping containers, and prefers to wait until someone tries (and maybe succeeds) to smuggle in a dirty bomb or other terrorist weapon. Frankly, I think it's disgraceful.

The problem with most of our terrorist efforts is that we constantly fight the previous attempt, rather than the next one. We don't actually defend against a tactic until we've seen it used. We are re-active instead of pro-active. By the time we start preventing liquids from being carried on board, or x-raying shoes for bombs, the terrorists have moved on to their next tactic. We should be out-thinking them by realizing what they can do and acting BEFORE those tactics are used. We knew about liquids before they were attempted; why didn't we act then? We know now about shipping containers; we aren't we acting? If this administration spent half as much time acting against terrorism as it does talking about it, we would be much further ahead in our "war on terrorism".

There's an infinite number of things we could do. We could implement Israeli levels of security on all flights. We could fully inspect all containers and packages coming into this country. We could spend our half of our entire GNP on security and defense and still terrorists could exploit a weakness. Where does it end?

I agree, now that the Brits have caught on to the liquids, the terrorists can move on to something else. It's the nature of terrorism to keep one guessing and looking over your shoulder.

Jimbo said:
Ski,

I bring up Clinton because only because the issue of warrentless activities have a precedent. This is not about Clinton, per se. I'm not arguing that Clinton did it, so Bush should be allowed to do it. I'm saying that the laws Clinton operated under, as well as the laws Clinton signed into being (i.e. Executive Order 12949) should apply equally to Bush as they did to Clinton.

And per NSXTASY's post...

I had forgotten about this Court of Review. This prior quote is pretty concise and clear in my book.

PS: What's your take on Ex Order 12949?

Regarding Clinton and this Exec Order - this is the first I've heard of it (not using that as a copout) so I really don't have much to comment. I took a quick look at the Order off the linked website, and, it looks to me like the Order basically allows for warrantless surveillence if and only if virtually every security-related cabinet member signs off (list of ~15 people) for a specific threat. IF, my interpretation is correct (big IF :wink: ), then I would say that it is hardly applicable to the current program, because you wouldn't get that 1-off authorization EVERY time for "questionable" surveillence subjects. Getting back to my earlier point about whether, under constitutional/statutory/common law, this program is *currently* legal/illegal, citing this 1995 Exec Order as precedent is beside the point. We can lose our freedoms through death by 1000 cuts, or 1 big one, but it will happen either way if concerned citizens don't push our elected officials to adhere to the *spirit* of our constitutional rights. Further, if you want to use *precedent* in the Feds infringing upon our rights, well, you'll have taken a giant leap forward if this terrifying program is allowed to continue. The "slippery slope" logic fallacy, if we justify these programs with prior questionable ones, will become a reality.

Jimbo said:
There's an infinite number of things we could do. We could implement Israeli levels of security on all flights. We could fully inspect all containers and packages coming into this country. We could spend our half of our entire GNP on security and defense and still terrorists could exploit a weakness. Where does it end?

Dammit! Another slippery slope... :rolleyes:

Here's what you do (WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE 5 YEARS AGO) and it won't take 1/2 our GDP to implement, or even pose *much* more of an inconvenience once the kinks are worked out.

1. Identify the 5 or 6 ingredients that could be reasonably used in an airline bomb. BAN THOSE INGREDIENTS (in amounts greater than ___). The Terminal gift shops could sell 'em if need be.

2. Inspect all carry on baggage, with dogs (and eventually technology, like the sniffers used now for conventional explosives) trained to sniff out those key ingredients. That could take a few years, granted. The issue of "profiling" is resolved as well, because everyone would have their bags searched. And if something seemed amiss - give the TSA the power to toss out some guy's bottle of handcleaner.

3. Hire more airport security, so the extra precautions don't take forever.

DONE!!! How hard is that??? It's sensible, not ridiculously expensive to implement, and doesn't infringe on our freedoms. We've known this was in their playbook since 1995... I guess these precautions wouldn't be "fighting the Terrorists on their soil" though. :rolleyes:

As for the "infinite number of things we could do" - I agree, they will be creative and forward thinking. But we KNOW they like to use airplanes because they 1) hold lots of people, 2) are expensive, especially when they run into other things, 3) are critical to our economy.

Ski_Banker said:
The list:

1. Clearly we are all making assumptions here on what is and what is not addressed when terror threats are discussed, but I find it reasonable to suggest the focus on liquid explosives might have been limited because it was deemed to be less of a threat than other more-immediate concerns; if you have a finite level of resources you can either go after something like knives, or you could squander those resources away trying to find a liquid explosive, which is a threat that takes considerable knowledge to construct and operate. If 9/11 was the result of some 'dudes with knives' it was deemed creating armored cockpit doors, inspecting for these types of edged weapons, and looking deeper into the structure of terror networks was a better use of our limited resources than inspecting every liquid on the off chance you might be dealing with an expert explosives terrorist with an exotic liquid bomb in his gatorade/ipod. Obviously when intelligence pointed to this being an immediate threat, rather than someone in a cave playing with chemicals, our focus shifted and the terror plot from liquid bombs was eliminated - this is a win, not a "why weren't they looking for this" situation.

For a similar category, look at the concept of port security - while certain people in congress rant about inspecting 'every container' entering the US this is not a practical goal, as the cost for a minimal threat would be billions of dollars in equipment, massive delays in shipping transit times, and the paralysis of our shipping infrastructure, which is by no means in any position to undertake this task. Our government has decided on a different use for that money, which it feels will lead to better results.

2. There was an interview, and it escapes me for the moment where I saw this interview, but it was on the program this thread is discussing. One of the experts in this field stated the benefit of the current plan, as it is in place now, is it searches phone calls for certain patterns of speech, and gives returns based on that information. So, for instance, if a certain phone call were to originate in Pakistan and called a US number on a biweekly basis, to discuss the "Brooklyn Bridge" at length, a flag would be raised - it is because of this aspect of the program that it becomes unreasonable to obtain a warrent, be it secret or open - you do not know what you're looking for, you do not know who or what you are trying to find, so how do you obtain a warrent to listen for it?

I would imagine those who defend this program are being intentionally vague in their defense, as any value had by the program is being decreased as people demand to know how, why, and where it works - by asking these questions it becomes less effective, if one of the 'key players' were to step out and address, completly, any questions about the program it would be seriously injured - this is why certain members of congress were fully briefed on the program, and had no complaints. Everyone cannot be fully briefed on the nature of the program if you expect it to continue providing some degree of safety for the American public - certain people are more interested in buzz words, or partisan politics, and fail to see this aspect of the defense of this program.

3. I do not think it is possible to 'win the war on terror' - I do feel we should be aggressive in our pursuit of terrorists, and I find it sad when certain people take advantage of the situation we are in for political gain, but that is the nature of our political system - certain people will attack programs designed to provide benefits to the american public, based on the fear of hurting the rights of terrorists, just as people on the 'other side' will hype up terrorist activity, when the true threat is minimal. I do not see us in a terror war, I see us in a position of having to keep an aggressive stance against terrorism. Would I approach certain events differently, either in retrospect or from my spectator view of reading websites and watching news reports? Perhaps, but I also understand we will not know the full story until many years from now, and despite it being the 'in thing' to criticize our elected government I see a great deal of their policies as benefiting the public, and many of their detractors as being afraid of offending the terrorists.

4. Why haven't we caught Bin Laden - I am sure we would all love to see this joker dead or in prison, to pose this question makes it seem as though we have the capacity to 'get him' at will - I do not believe this is the case at the moment, although there are many instances where we could have 'gotten him' in the past and did not, dating beyond the current administration. In the current sense the reason Bin Laden is not being pursued aggresively is one of politics, not in the sense of what you are suggesting (which is offensive and baseless), but rather politics in Pakistan play a greater role than you might assume. If Pakistan's government were to aggressively go after Bin Laden they would lose the teneious hold they have on that country, and if we were to go into regions of Pakistan for them it would also have a bad impact on the government of Pakistan. So, while we could pursue Bin Laden to a greater degree it would result in the almost certain loss of Pakistan as an ally against terror, which is a relationship that has resulted in a great deal of positives in the last few years. Bin Laden is symbolic, but if our goal is to prevent terrorism alienating Pakistan could result in more attacks against the United States, for the goal of eliminating a guy who is no longer in the 'operational loop'. This is not to say we aren't still looking for the guy, I would be suprised if we didn't have robotic drones in this region of Pakistan scouring caves, and significant ELAnt looking for Bin Laden, but without 'boots on the ground' we are not going to find him, and we are not in a position to do this ourselves, nor can we count on the government of Pakistan to do it for us.

Ski_Banker said:
Inspect all carry on baggage, with dogs (and eventually technology, like the sniffers used now for conventional explosives) trained to sniff out those key ingredients.

How does one train a dog, or build a machine, to 'sniff' out a liquid chemical inside of a sealed air tight container?

scorp965 said:
How does one train a dog, or build a machine, to 'sniff' out a liquid chemical inside of a sealed air tight container?

It's pretty simple actually. When they are pups, you put special CIA-designed mittens on their front paws that help them develop opposable thumbs for opening bottles. :biggrin:

I hope for our sake that this isn't a serious question... :eek:

Edit: I just read your lengthy, but well written, transcript in the prior post. Clearly, your question of how dogs can sniff a sealed container is a genuine query. Also, perhaps even more clearly, it is evident from the prior post that you have not conceived an original thought in your life. I'll address your points tomorrow, after I review and study what I TiVo'd on Fox News for the relevant antagonist counterpoints.

Last edited:
Ski_Banker said:
It's pretty simple actually. When they are pups, you put special CIA-designed mittens on their front paws that help them develop opposable thumbs for opening bottles. :biggrin:

I hope for our sake that this isn't a serious question... :eek:

So we are now opening every single container (or the ones we can find anyway), hoping that whatever liquids/gels/etc. we are looking for are not odorless, and then training bomb detection dogs, who are now trained in perhaps a dozen different explosives varieties, to look for what? Perhaps dozens of potentially explosive chemicals? Hundreds? What else are these chemicals used in? What are they similar to, and what are those chemicals used in? What about a false bottom in a can of shaving cream with another liquid hidden underneath it? How do you account for all of these variables in your plan?

Your 'plan' consists of: lets hope there are only a few chemicals we have to worry about, lets hope those chemicals are fairly distinctive, lets hope those chemicals are not hazardous to dogs, lets hope those chemicals are not odorless, lets hope the bad guys play by the rules and don't try to put more than one compond in each container, etc.? And your solution for not making the addition of security measures into a burden is to simply 'hire more screeners'? How does this not cost an absurd about of scratch if you are being considerably more invasive? How many added screeners will be required? Will the airport have the infrastructure to support added screeners, or will other things need to be upgraded as well? How is your plan simple and cost effective again?

Let's hope you're simply shooting for buzz words, catch phrases, and quick points, rather than serious about your half-hearted and superficial plan?

Jimbo said:
Oh, the wonderful UN, Kofi Annan and the Oil For Food program. And our wonderful Allies (French, Germans and Russia) who were benefitting from same and from selling stuff to Iraq. This is the same Kofi Annan who claimed the Israelis targeted UN people on purpose.

Yes the same Isrealis who only comply with U.N resolutions whenever they want to. Yes our wonderful allies who are not occupying any countries illegally.

And as far as threatening our freedom, did Serbia, Haiti, Rwanda, Somalia ever threaten our freedom?

I'm sorry when did we start a war with them and take over their country? Were their any Serbians, Haitians , Rwandans, Somalians or even Iraqi's hijacking plans and crashing them?????

Iraq was not complying, they were dragging their feet and putting conditions on the UN inspectors. Here's a chronology of their wonderful record on compliance....

http://cns.miis.edu/research/iraq/uns_chro.htm

Great site take a look at our compliancy record and Isreals. The US will defy the UN whenever it doesn't suit our prupose , but yet call them weak if they don't enforce resolutions on other countries.

It's no wonder Iraq-Saddam drug their feet. After all, they stalled and played the UN for 12 years. But now we know it was all about the oil and money via the Oil for Food debacle.

If you call Oil for Food a debacle what sir do you call Haliburton. I guess the fact that the Iraq war has cost us ( yes I'm a taxpayer so I'm very comfortable saying this ) billions more than the current administration initially told us ( funny the dems told us what this war was really going to cost , Republicans said they are liberals and they are lying ) I believe the President also said that Iraq's oil would pay for the war and for their reconstruction. Hasn't happened. Iraq's oil output is currently at the lowest point it's ever been and how much worse do you think it's going to get now that they are in ( have been for months ) civil war. Maybe you believe the current administration and that their not in civil war just unfriendly disputes that get carried away sometimes.

Anyway, Saddam used up his last change years ago with Clinton...

http://www.cnn.com/US/9812/16/clinton.iraq.speech/

How many last chances and years (12?) were needed?

As many as it takes to keep OUR people from dying needlesly and keeps our money on more productive things for US citizens such as I don't know maybe healthcare. No that would cost too much and help US business be more competitive. It would of course cost less than a war with Iraq , but then again that wouldn't help haliburtons bottom line.

I guess we'll see how effective the UN will be with PRK and Iran. I'm sure they're looking forward to 12 years of playing games.

Sorry man this last part isn't even worth addressing when we look at how long Isreal has been playing games with the Palistinians over UN resolutions ( i.e give back the land you took during the three day war ).

PRK and Iran along with Saddam ( Iraq ) were called the Axis of Evils by Mr Bush. Both countries ( PRK and Iran )saw what happened to Iraq not having WMDs and have decided to arm themselves. Can you blame them? These countries don't want nuclear weapons to be aggressors they want them to defend themselves. We constantly meddle in other countries affairs. We tell them to elect their own government and then if we don't like the govenment that's elected ( by a countries own people ) we ignore or harass that country ( I'm sure you don't need examples of this ). We are such a bully it's not even funny. Don't believe that crap about terrorists attacking us because they're jealous of our freedoms , because Amsterdam is a lot more free than us and nobody is crashing their planes or blowing up their buildings.

Jimbo said:
This is the same Kofi Annan who claimed the Israelis targeted UN people on purpose.

Briefly, on June 8th, 1967, the USS Liberty was patroling in international waters in the Mediterranean Sea. The Liberty was a surveillance ship, and may have been intercepting and/or monitoring communications involving the conflict between Israel and Egypt. It was not an *armed vessel*. It's armament was limited to 50 cals and small arms to defend against boarding.

The Liberty was flying US colors, as well as the usual markings of a Navy vessel. It was overflown by Israeli reconnaissance several times during the day.

At 2 pm (local) the Israelis atacked the Liberty. The first attack was an air assult by fighters that had no markings (according to reports by the crew). Rockets, cannons and napalm were used to knock out communication towers, control areas, and armaments.

The crew of the Liberty had to patch together communications equipment as well as overcome jamming to call for aid, and contacted (eventually) the 6th fleet. Forces of the fleet local to the Liberty acknowledged receipt and two vessels, the USS Saratoga and the USS America launched aircraft for aid.

Both air flights were recalled by the White House.

Quote:
RADM Geis, then commanding the carriers in the Sixth Fleet, called Washington personally to confirm the order. SecDef McNamara came on the line, then President Johnson. Johnson indicated to Geis that the aircraft were to be returned, that he would not have his allies embarrassed, and that he didn't care who was killed or what was done to the ship. Geis, like any good sailor, recalled the aircraft.
http://home.cfl.rr.com/gidusko/liberty/

The attack was continued by the Israeli navy, using torpedo boats. The Liberty was hit by torpedos, as well as having her decks raked by machine gun fire and cannon fire. The order to abandon ship was given and recinded when crewmen could not get onto the decks or launch the lifeboats. Lifeboats that were launched were machine gunned in the water. Fire crews had to abandon their stations because of machine gun fire and because the hoses were targeted and destroyed.

The SOS was sent *in the clear* (this means not encrypted, and open to any vessel to hear). As soon as the SOS was sent, the Israelis broke off the fore fight. An Israli helecopter of infantry was sighted, and the Capt ordered the crew to stand by for boarders, but the helicopter flew off. The torpedo boats contacted the Liberty to see *if she needed assistence*.

The Liberty lost 34 killed in action and 173 wounded.

Isreal stated (this is the f*ckling truth) they thought the USS Liberty, a US Navy Reconn Vessel, was an *Egyptian Horse Transport*.

The entire incident was whitewashed by the Johnson Administration in a shameless way.

Quote:
The defenseless crew, initially unable to report their plight or summon assistance and with only themselves to rely upon, fought heroically to save themselves and their ship. In recognition of their effort in this single action, they were ultimately awarded collectively one Medal of Honor, two Navy Crosses, eleven Silver Stars, twenty Bronze Stars (with "V" device), nine Navy Commendation Medals, and two hundred and four Purple Hearts. In addition, the ship was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation.
http://www.ussliberty.org/report/report.htm

To this day the crew of the Liberty has tried to get their story heard, and it continues to fall on deaf ears in the halls of our Israeli owned Congress and Exec Branch.

Why did the Israelis attack a US vessel? Could they have been hoping to blame it on Egypt and draw the US into the war? Could it be that they didn't want the US to overhear what was happening on the Gaza Strip?

Jimbo said:
Please take a few minutes to read the order...

http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/eo/eo-12949.htm

This order expanded FISA to enable the legal authority to approve black-bag operations to authorize Department of Justice (DoJ) requests to conduct physical as well as electronic searches, without obtaining a warrant in "OPEN COURT", without notifying the subject, without providing an inventory of items seized. The targets need not be under suspicion of committing a crime, but may be investigated when probable cause results solely from their associations or status: for example, belonging to, or aiding and abetting organizations deemed to pose a threat to U.S. national security.

Sounds to me like President Bush and Atty General Gonzales already had the authorization to do warrantless activities, even without the Congress OK to use force.

And 12949 had pretty much no restrictions other than deeming that it posed a threat to national security. At least with the current activities, there's oversight and a requirement of an overseas al Qaeda connection.

Seems to me that your argument is irrelevant as you glanced over the "OPEN COURT" part. The SECRET COURT is not mentioned and doesn't need to be as this is what the goverment is supposed to use in this situation.

Ski_Banker said:
2. Honda "tweaked" the NSX for 14 years, rather than ditching it.

Ha! No one responded to this part! Ski_Banker is a sly one.

I hate this overlooked fact as well. Honda did continue to make changes just about every two years and most people even NSX owners complain they never did anything with the car. They say the same crap about the S2000 which Honda has also tweaked every two years. Oh well back to topic

scorp965 said:
So we are now opening every single container (or the ones we can find anyway), hoping that whatever liquids/gels/etc. we are looking for are not odorless, and then training bomb detection dogs, who are now trained in perhaps a dozen different explosives varieties, to look for what? Perhaps dozens of potentially explosive chemicals? Hundreds? What else are these chemicals used in? What are they similar to, and what are those chemicals used in? What about a false bottom in a can of shaving cream with another liquid hidden underneath it? How do you account for all of these variables in your plan?

Your 'plan' consists of: lets hope there are only a few chemicals we have to worry about, lets hope those chemicals are fairly distinctive, lets hope those chemicals are not hazardous to dogs, lets hope those chemicals are not odorless, lets hope the bad guys play by the rules and don't try to put more than one compond in each container, etc.? And your solution for not making the addition of security measures into a burden is to simply 'hire more screeners'? How does this not cost an absurd about of scratch if you are being considerably more invasive? How many added screeners will be required? Will the airport have the infrastructure to support added screeners, or will other things need to be upgraded as well? How is your plan simple and cost effective again?

Let's hope you're simply shooting for buzz words, catch phrases, and quick points, rather than serious about your half-hearted and superficial plan?

Scorp, you bring up some good points here. I will try to address them as best I can, and, any gaps -one can assume- could be reasonably solved by the collective resources of our Dept. of Homeland Security, CIA, NSA and FBI.

First: Will such measures eliminate 100% of the risk? Of course not. Could, with say, 20 terrorists having advanced chemicals experience, find a way to smuggle piecemeal tiny amounts of very complicated explosives components onto a plane? In theory, of course. But think slippery slope logic... does that really make sense? As for hiding chemicals in shaving cream cans, you'd really have to work at it to do so whilst not in any way contaminating the outside of the can. Dogs smell in parts per billion.

Second: While there are countless flammable substances, there really aren't that many (from my understanding) that could pack a punch with little volume while being undetectible. That's why I said 5 or 6 chemicals/components. Maybe the number is 10.

Third: What you aren't considering by simply analyzing this at face value, is that PEOPLE WILL CHANGE THEIR BEHAVIORS. If everyone (or 75% -- pick a high number) is searched, and all objects/materials are carefully examined, travelers will a) check more luggage/toiletries, if feasible or b) carefully consider what is in their carry-ons so as to avoid a big hassle. BTW, substances like medications, could be kept in a safe/locked area on board a flight.

Fourth: As for cost, yep, it will cost a good deal of capex to outfit our airport terminal security points, and many new lower wage people will need to be hired. But, put these costs in the context of the airline industry and our national defense budget. Think analytically: if TSA can search a person in 3 minutes, that's 20 per hour, for the cost of a $20/hour employee = $1/ticket plus dogs, supervisors, etc. However, there would also be cost savings by eliminating redundant security expenditures (Air Marshals would be 90% unnecessary if everyone has been searched, for example). Airline insurance costs would drop dramatically, partially recuping some of these ongoing expenses.

Don't take everything at face value (more about that later). Do you now realize why your "dog sniffing" post is so stupid?

Back