• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sway Bar setup suggestions

Ok, I've been searching and reading info and there are a lot of different suggestions for setups, so I figured I'd state my setup and goals and see what you guys suggest.
I track my car basically once a year but would like less body roll even on the street. I don't mind if the car gets stiffer I'm not using it on a daily basis or anything like that.
I've got Bilsteins and stock springs.
The car does squat a lot under acceleration with my SC setup and I am wondering if a thicker rear bar would help combat this at all?
Would a Type R front be enough? Or which Dali/SOS setup would be best?

a sway bar is not going to do ANYTHING for squat. a sway bar "borrows" force from the spring on one side of the car by connecting it to the spring on the other side. in other words, a sway bar will limit side to side movement (roll), but have absolutely no effect on fore/aft movement (dive and squat).

as for which bar is "enough", that depends entirely on how hard you are driving the car. some of us that run our cars hard competitively run custom built large front sway bars, but given that you track once a year... that is likely unnecessary (and also expensive). you're probably fine going with a type R or dali 1" front bar.

a sway bar is not going to do ANYTHING for squat. a sway bar "borrows" force from the spring on one side of the car by connecting it to the spring on the other side. in other words, a sway bar will limit side to side movement (roll), but have absolutely no effect on fore/aft movement (dive and squat).

as for which bar is "enough", that depends entirely on how hard you are driving the car. some of us that run our cars hard competitively run custom built large front sway bars, but given that you track once a year... that is likely unnecessary (and also expensive). you're probably fine going with a type R or dali 1" front bar.

That's what I figured for the rear squat, its more to do with the spring/damper setup. Just was wondering if it would be a side benefit of a larger rear sway.

Here is a shot on the track last year....

20 by blodi, on Flickr

I guess I could always start with the Dali 1" front and if I decide I need the rear get it later.....

A larger rear sway bar will increase oversteer, which can really get messy quick if you're not used to the back coming around and catching it.

If you don't track the car regularly, I would highly suggest just upgrading the FRONT sway to a Type-R (Dali is probably good too, I have a personal preference toward OEM) and leaving the rear sway stock.

Last edited:
You need to find balance......now that you have much more power than stock, you'll need to deal with that.
Springs and dampers will control the fore/aft weight transfer (I suggest KWV3's) and like said above more rear swaybar will make the car even more tail-happy, so a larger front bar would be a good place to start.
Oh, and hard endlinks would be a plus as well;
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166017

I've always tried to get maximum front grip, then tune the rear for balance.
With all the power you have on tap, that'll be fun :biggrin:

Brian

If you don't like the Dali, I will trade you my NSX-R front bar. We do need to arrange some more track events

Dali said he doesn't have any rears in stock. -_-" need a Dali one to go along with my gruppe m v3... Comptech has fitting issues. Comptech front sway are going in tomorrow.

Got my Dali Track front bar the other night and installed it. Fairly easy, just was hard to figure out how to get the old one out once I had it unbolted.
Impressions so far....good stuff! I can feel the front end is firmer over bumps, but not overly so for the street. The car transitions its weight to the outside much faster and corners much flatter. Exactly what I was looking for.

And Tim, next month open track day at Waterford! The 14th.

Got my Dali Track front bar the other night and installed it. Fairly easy, just was hard to figure out how to get the old one out once I had it unbolted.
Impressions so far....good stuff! I can feel the front end is firmer over bumps, but not overly so for the street. The car transitions its weight to the outside much faster and corners much flatter. Exactly what I was looking for.

And Tim, next month open track day at Waterford! The 14th.

Unfortunately, working on the 14th.

So as a conclusion am i correct in thinking the best setup for adjustable sway bars, track and fast street is stiffest setting up front and softest setting up rear?

I have the Dali's currently installed but i also have a set of comptech's i might switch to. the Dali sways and titanium dave drop link combo causes it to catch the hub on the furthest setting.

So as a conclusion am i correct in thinking the best setup for adjustable sway bars, track and fast street is stiffest setting up front and softest setting up rear?

I have the Dali's currently installed but i also have a set of comptech's i might switch to. the Dali sways and titanium dave drop link combo causes it to catch the hub on the furthest setting.

Can someone clarify i have understood that correctly?

Back