• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tennessee Meet (March) Tail of the Dragon

I like to hit the road by 6 so I can get in a good lap before anyone is awake. We can meet wherever. The Dragon at 9 or Tennessee at 9 is good for me. I'll probably do Cherohalla to the Dragon, down Devils triangle and then to the meeting location. I know Matt has been on the early morning run so he can attest to the fun factor and the wildlife. :eek:

Hello everyone,
Local guy finally posting. I guess I would start off by asking people what type of driving they want to do, as there is a nice mix of roads in the area? Most know the Dragon of course, but what about the surrounding roads? I for one cannot drive up and down the Dragon all day. A great road no doubt, but I like to stretch my car's legs a bit and add a little more speed to my drive. If the Dragon is your main goal, the map MJK posted might not be your speed. I for one have not taken this route before, but it looks like something I would enjoy. There are too many great roads in the area to truly enjoy them all in 1.5 days. We just need to come up with a game plan (or not) and try to get the most in as possible.

As for a central place to meet I’m not 100% sure. I do not know how long it takes to get from say Cherokee to Townsend. Those of you staying on the Tennessee side, there are many options IMO to meet. Alcoa (near airport), Maryville, Walland and of course Townsend. There is a Cracker Barrel, IHOP, Shoney’s and other breakfast type places all within 10-15 minutes of the above mentioned cities (most in Alcoa/Maryville area). Is breakfast something we would all like to do as a group, or do we just meet up at a certain time and place and start our journey like that? I’m game either way. Maybe an option would be to group the TN side folks together as well as the NC drivers and meet up at 12 at Deal’s Gap?? This could give each side time to do what they want regarding breakfast and central meeting place and then meet up for a larger group drive a little later?

Like the map MJK posted, I also know a nice 4 hr + drive that starts at the Dragon and takes us north and then west ending in Tellico. A nice mix of straight but mostly curvy roads. Lunch is possible at the Tellico Café also. From Tellico, we would then head back east across the Cherohala Skyway into the Robbinsville area before heading back north thru the Dragon. This is a very complete drive IMO. Local country roads followed by the higher speeds on the Cherohala ending back at the Dragon. Throw breakfast and lunch into the mix and you have a very nice day. Skippy and Mirror have driven this and might want to give their $0.02 on the route.

Anyway, just a few ideas for now as it is getting late. I’ll be happy to help if I can, so feel free to PM me or simply continue to post your thought and ideas and I will provide more feedback as it is really getting close now.

James

The drive looks good but I'd rather meet sooner than that. What about the TN side of the Cherohallah?

Ben,
The Tennessee side ends in Tellico. Not really a central place. We can meet at 8am at Deal's Gap if everyone is on board with that.

I think people need to start throwing out ideas. We need to get a feel for what people want to do before we meet up, no?

James

I was going to suggest almost the exact same route as MJK so I think that's a good one. I'd like to stop and get lunch somewhere as well as stopping at Clingman's Dome.

Meeting sometime around 9am close to Maryville or at Deals Gap works for me. I'll be doing the Cherahola on the way up and back so would prefer not to do that on the route as it seems to dump you out on one end (west side) in the middle of no where.

Now lets just hope for good weather. :cool:

I like to hit the road by 6 so I can get in a good lap before anyone is awake. We can meet wherever. The Dragon at 9 or Tennessee at 9 is good for me. I'll probably do Cherohalla to the Dragon, down Devils triangle and then to the meeting location. I know Matt has been on the early morning run so he can attest to the fun factor and the wildlife. :eek:

I'm Matt, and following Rathemacher up to Cherokee Friday night. I would love to hit everything early before it gets crowded as well. Sounds like a good plan for those on the Cherokee side!

Im down for meeting up as early as possible.

Were talking about saturday here correct? Not friday?

We can plan a drive for sunday once were down there. :cool:

We went on a cruise this past sunday here in the mid-west. Southern Indiana country roads.

I was surprised the roads we found were very close to dragon like.

A nice warm up to the 29th!

The 10 day forecast just reached into friday the 28th.

And this is what we get.

Showers 60%

69°/44°

:wallbang:

Well the thursday is supposed to be clear.

After looking at the map forecast for that friday.

Its looking like another big storm is expected to hit across the midwest that weekend.

map_wkpln_day10_3usec_enus_440x297.jpg
:mad:

But yeah im not taking it to heart. Its just not a good sign.

U will have to wait until later next week. The forecast for that area is very hard to predict. Weather changes so frequently its not funny.

iamwithstupid.gif

Yeah, the mountains break up the storm fronts and funnel them North of the Dragon. The forecast will probably change 11 times between now and next weekend.

:cool:

As you can see as the picture i posted has changed.

But saturday is IN THE CLEAR!

high of 70!!!!

WOOT!

Im close to booking my hotel now.
I cant wait to visit the dragon again.

Its been over 2 yrs.

U will have to wait until later next week. The forecast for that area is very hard to predict. Weather changes so frequently its not funny. I would say by next Wednesday we should have a better picture of what the weekend "could" be like.

How 'bout the rain this week? :biggrin:

Yesterday was pretty much: cloudy, rainy, sunny, cloudy, rainy...:rolleyes:

Wish I could be there guys. It is busy season for me, so I will be working. :(

well just dub me the official weather man of the trip.

What looked good yesterday they have changed their minds once again.

74 on friday partly cloudy.

72 saturday 60% chance of showers expected all day

64 sunday 60% scattered showers

Back