• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The GTR is'nt that quick what Nissan claims

Funny, but you would think all high performance cars that offer a choice of auto-manual/semi auto and a 6 speed manual would sell more manual or at least the ratio would be close,but I remember reading somewhere that modern ferraris only sell 10% as manual stickshift.

That is interesting, but it doesn't surprise me. You have to think about the user groups that buy the Ferraris. Most of which are older hence the fact that they can afford the Ferrari pricetag. They are usually much more mature and prefer the comfort of not clutching/shifting. They also probably never drive it either and it's a garage queen. The GTR has a different type of user market. They are younger and more hardcore. They tend to drive their cars harder and more often. I mean most Ferrari owners wouldn't trade off their Ferrari for a GTR, so you can't compare a Ferrari owner to a GTR owner. It's a different mentality and age group. It would be more accurate to compare Corvette owners to GTR owners. Their user age group is more varied.

Lol, sequential shifting still retains that excitement that the automatics don't have.

Last edited:
:biggrin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOAXJTTc__w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOAXJTTc__w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:biggrin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOAXJTTc__w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOAXJTTc__w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LOL. That actually brightened up my day a bit.

It was my understanding that Nissan was comparing the GTR against the 911 Turbo, not the GT2. The 911 Turbo and GT2 are completely different cars. I'm not taking sides, just an observation.

It was my understanding that Nissan was comparing the GTR against the 911 Turbo, not the GT2. The 911 Turbo and GT2 are completely different cars. I'm not taking sides, just an observation.

Just read the whole thing and they did a very good job.

Interestingly, the GTR had the time of 7:55.x. That's only a second faster than the NSX-R. Imagine the NSX-R with CTSC....

Just read the whole thing and they did a very good job.

Interestingly, the GTR had the time of 7:55.x. That's only a second faster than the NSX-R. Imagine the NSX-R with CTSC....

Oh come on. First the GTR did it in 7:29. Second, I am getting a little irked by people who feed on demeaning the GTR, mostly without having driven, let alone tracked one. I own a GTR and I own a CT NSX. I've owned NSX's since 1994, there is really no comparison with steet legal versions. You're local to socal so you probably know Willow Springs; well I would venture to say the GTR would be a good 5 seconds faster than a CT NSX on that track. I've driven the Ring since 1983 (FIA license) I woud say I can finish a lap at the Ring in the GTR, park it, get out of the car and only then see the CTNSX (driven by a peer) come out of the last turn. A good 25-30 seconds difference. The cars are simply not in the same league.

A side note: I've spent the last 15 years telling my F and P friends not to dismiss the NSX but to try and live with one a couple of days before passing judgement. My advice to you and to GTR haters is to do the same. take just two laps in a GTR and find our why this car is like no other.

Oh come on. First the GTR did it in 7:29. Second, I am getting a little irked by people who feed on demeaning the GTR, mostly without having driven, let alone tracked one. I own a GTR and I own a CT NSX. I've owned NSX's since 1994, there is really no comparison with steet legal versions. You're local to socal so you probably know Willow Springs; well I would venture to say the GTR would be a good 5 seconds faster than a CT NSX on that track. I've driven the Ring since 1983 (FIA license) I woud say I can finish a lap at the Ring in the GTR, park it, get out of the car and only then see the CTNSX (driven by a peer) come out of the last turn. A good 25-30 seconds difference. The cars are simply not in the same league.

A side note: I've spent the last 15 years telling my F and P friends not to dismiss the NSX but to try and live with one a couple of days before passing judgement. My advice to you and to GTR haters is to do the same. take just two laps in a GTR and find our why this car is like no other.

Glad you have experience with both.How would you rate the gtr seats for track work,and the brakes?Also any engine temp issues at the track?

I won't demean the GTR since I think it is incredible, but for the magazine to do a 7:55.... that is a LONG way off 7:29. Hopefully http://www.supercarmovies.com will test one. They got around 7:25-7:30 ish for Carerra GT, Enzo and Zonda. Hard to believe the GTR would be as fast on such a long track. It has way less HP and a lot more weight.

Last edited:
Netviper is correct the GTR is too heavy and does not have enough power for those times. I've seen all the car mag numbers on this car and the highest trap speed was 120 and the lowest was 116. I've only seen that 120 trap speed one time.....most of the trap speed numbers are 117-118.

The cars that run the ring around the 7:25-7:30 times all have traps speeds approaching 130.

I believe it's pretty simple ..... the GTR getting that great time was a ringer (more boost and less weight).

The fact that the NSX R GT (400hp) ran the same time as a slightly modified GTR confirms this.

I'm not demeaning the GTR, I just think Nissan's claim does not add up when you do the math. Regardless how technologically this car is designed.

Even if they ran with higher boost, the lap time is still off by 26 seconds. That's an eternity in sports car term. However, some one did mention in the past Nissan did the flying start, and I don't believe this mag did that. So if they did flying start with higher boost, the advertised lap time is more realistic.

Nurburgring is not just about power, but handling. Most of the cars make up the lap time at the end with that forever straight line.

There is a good reason why they're going to offer spec V, simply put, the regular model is just way too heavy.

personally, i don't think it makes a difference 'bout GTR or PTurbo. We are owners of NSX and NSXes. a reminder - lets stay on topic: NSX!:smile:

Porsche got particularly upset that the Nissan claimed a faster 'ring time for the GTR than they did for their 997GT2 and then cryed foul.

A UK online magazine investigated using an experienced but not expert Nurburgring driver. The story and comparison video with commentry are here...

http://magazines.drivers-republic.com/driversrepublic/thetruth030/?fm=2

http://www.drivers-republic.co.uk/d...=61a64bd813c44161b345e9f706147ad9&area=videos

Thanks for posting the videos. These videos basically confirmed the official lap time of GTR. If they can pull a 7:5x while doing easy driving on a slightly "WET" track. That just reconfirmed they can easily shave off additonal 20~30 sec with better driving and more favorable track condition. So the conclusion is that the Nissan time was real. Anyone with a brain but refuse to look and analyse will only see what they want to believe.

This thread overall not very classy at all. There are a lot of distasteful old posts with over blown alpha male ego and bitterness towards R35's amazing achievement. I am very disappointed and have zero respect. Those who know me know I am not an asshole, I am a caring person, I take care of friends, never say mean shit to others intentionally, never put down others. But man some really took the hate way to freaking far for no other than just personal pleasure.

To the GTR haters, 2010 GTR are even faster and quicker and supposely faster lap time than ENZO. The new revised launch control is even more reliable, faster, and quicker than ever. Any of you who are unbiased and willing to read the facts rahter than believe what you to believe. There are so much information out there if you search for it. Look is one thing, performance wise there is zero argument. The world is better place with out hate.

The GTR is badass, but that doesn't mean NSX is no longer badass, no need to be so quick and use the lowly hater tactic to defend ones little ego.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=7901

Faster than electricty as mentioned by Jermey Clarkson:
http://www.gtrblog.com/2008/07/20/top-gear-season-11-nissan-gt-r-on-the-to-1/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PXo-YSDX1uk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PXo-YSDX1uk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Best post yet.

If I can achieve falt 4sec on my CTSC and my Turbo 335i (not much lighter than GTR), believe it GTR can easily do 3.3~3.5sec.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the videos. These videos basically confirmed the official lap time of GTR. If they can pull a 7:5x while doing easy driving on a slightly "WET" track. That just reconfirmed they can easily shave off additonal 20~30 sec with better driving and more favorable track condition. So the conclusion is that the Nissan time was real. Anyone with a brain but refuse to look and analyse will only see what they want to believe.

This thread overall not very classy at all. There are a lot of distasteful old posts with over blown alpha male ego and bitterness towards R35's amazing achievement. I am very disappointed and have zero respect. Those who know me know I am not an asshole, I am a caring person, I take care of friends, never say mean shit to others intentionally, never put down others. But man some really took the hate way to freaking far for no other than just personal pleasure.

To the GTR haters, 2010 GTR are even faster and quicker and supposely faster lap time than ENZO. The new revised launch control is even more reliable, faster, and quicker than ever. Any of you who are unbiased and willing to read the facts rahter than believe what you to believe. There are so much information out there if you search for it. Look is one thing, performance wise there is zero argument. The world is better place with out hate.

The GTR is badass, but that doesn't mean NSX is no longer badass, no need to be so quick and use the lowly hater tactic to defend ones little ego.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=7901

Faster than electricty as mentioned by Jermey Clarkson:
http://www.gtrblog.com/2008/07/20/top-gear-season-11-nissan-gt-r-on-the-to-1/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PXo-YSDX1uk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PXo-YSDX1uk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Best post yet.

If I can achieve falt 4sec on my CTSC and my Turbo 335i (not much lighter than GTR), believe it GTR can easily do 3.3~3.5sec.

LOL Seems like they touched a nerve Jason! Also they did do dry times as well. Technically it's actually withing 9/10th's of a second to the GT2 times as they did say that this car had the Bridgestones and not the stickier Dunlops that Nissan claims lops 5 secs off the GT-R times.

I've been on the track with one at VIR. It was being driven by professionals and the thing is so fast you barely have time to react and let them pass. I was in my S2K CR and I could see after they passed me that they were also passing a couple of heavily modded Redline Time attack cars as well. The car is no joke!

To the GTR haters, 2010 GTR are even faster and quicker and supposely faster lap time than ENZO. The new revised launch control is even more reliable, faster, and quicker than ever.

From what I read, the new launch control is more reliable, but it is certainly NOT faster or quicker than ever.. but it is not as slow as some people make it out. It adds a couple of tenths.

I would like to know how a 4,000lbs car with 480hp can best faster than a 600HP car that is 3,000lbs on the 'ring. Does the AWD make that big of difference?

From what I read, the new launch control is more reliable, but it is certainly NOT faster or quicker than ever.. but it is not as slow as some people make it out. It adds a couple of tenths.

I would like to know how a 4,000lbs car with 480hp can best faster than a 600HP car that is 3,000lbs on the 'ring. Does the AWD make that big of difference?

You might be thinking of the 2009 launch control. The 2010 model is different and is supposed to be faster. Speaking of which the 2010 car will have new suspension and brakes. The 2011 car will have a new interior. The 2012 car will have a new engine and the 2013 will be a new body style. Nissan in attempt to avoid the NSX stigma will be redoing a new section of the car every year ..LOL

J/K on the 2011, 2012 and 2013 stuff ... but at this rate you never know. Jasons gonna firebomb me:biggrin:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/16/2010-nissan-gt-r-priced-its-more-but-you-get-more/

Oh yeah it's also about $11k more than the 2008 $69k start price model.

Nice, its good to see that they can reprogram the software and fix the issues. 3.5 sec is still quite fast, good for Nissan

Nice, its good to see that they can reprogram the software and fix the issues. 3.5 sec is still quite fast, good for Nissan

Kind of makes you wonder why they put the tranny at risk for a couple of tenths to 60 MPH!

Kind of makes you wonder why they put the tranny at risk for a couple of tenths to 60 MPH!

I can careless about Nissian's claim of the Nurb power lap, or how heavy it is. Even though it is quite remarkable to achieve 3.5 nil to 60, I just can't respect the way they achieved it.

However, with the 2010 cars, they still got around 3.9, ish, that is still remarkable with more reliability. They should have gone that round in the beginning.

It wasn't meant to be "launch control." Rather, it was supposed to be used to help the car get out of mud/snow (not that I buy this excuse, but it's apparently written in the owner's manual).

Back