• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The itch for Turbo...

This is an argument as old as cars. Some want driving satisfaction and balance at street-legal speeds. Some want to mash the throttle and be pinned to their seat (I recommend them buy a V1 and in some cases retain a lawyer, but I digress...). And then there's the track.

People who want the first buy an NSX. People who want the second buy a GTO or a GTR or whatever. People who want both buy an NSX and spend a bunch of time and money modifying it.

I have no doubt that some of the well-sorted, all-around 550hp NSXs on Prime (the ones that didn't just bolt on power but added brakes and rubber and aero and etc to match) are some of the most sublime cars in the world to drive. Between the cost and the downtime I can't personally justify it but others can and I am thrilled for them (especially when they give me rides in their cars).

OP, if you search for posts by Hugh he has lots of thoughts on the reliability and longevity of the SOS Twin Turbo kit. If you can find a way to deal with the smog thing (register car out of state or "know a guy") it sounds like a no brainer.

If you can find a way to deal with the smog thing (register car out of state or "know a guy") it sounds like a no brainer.

Exactly^^^

But the OP is looking for the bottom end TQ of his Viper. Not going to happen unless he spends mad money on a turbo, and he said he only keeps cars for a year or two at most......so why bother spending $30k by the time he is done with a motor build and Turbo setup? He should just enjoy the car for what it is and recoup his money when he is done with it.....because if he goes any other route, it will take longer to sell and he won't likely get his money back out of it.

But the OP is looking for the bottom end TQ of his Viper. Not going to happen unless he spends mad money on a turbo, and he said he only keeps cars for a year or two at most......so why bother spending $30k by the time he is done with a motor build and Turbo setup? He should just enjoy the car for what it is and recoup his money when he is done with it.....because if he goes any other route, it will take longer to sell and he won't likely get his money back out of it.

Exactly what I decided to do.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. If my financials go well over the next few years, I would ideally like to keep the NSX and get some american muscle as well. Cheers

Exactly what I decided to do.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. If my financials go well over the next few years, I would ideally like to keep the NSX and get some american muscle as well. Cheers
I concur.
I love my Lil.Pony

69chevelle3.jpg

I like rattling my teeth out of my head occasionally as well

The itch is back...can anyone tell me if it's a noticeable difference going from low boost pulley to high boost on the CTSC? My car dynod at 353 rwhp on low boost setup.

The itch is back...can anyone tell me if it's a noticeable difference going from low boost pulley to high boost on the CTSC? My car dynod at 353 rwhp on low boost setup.

I haven't been in one for a while, but it pulled harder than mine. I would do it the right way and go with an AEM to manage the fuel with higher boost. I think you could pick up more HP and be a lot safer. It is a good amount of money though for not a lot of gain. Say 30HP.

I haven't been in one for a while, but it pulled harder than mine. I would do it the right way and go with an AEM to manage the fuel with higher boost. I think you could pick up more HP and be a lot safer. It is a good amount of money though for not a lot of gain. Say 30HP.

thanks for the feedback. I think I may part with the CTSC and go for a SOS twin setup. Been reading great things about it and seems I will notice a night and day difference in terms of how the car feels. Would still love to hear feedback from others that have experience....also would love to sit in some setups. Anyone wanna take me for a ride in so cal? ;)

I have the SOS twin kit on my 2002 with the stock engine setup. And it is amazing. Virtually no lag and the torque is there because the turbos are almost directly attached to the exhaust ports on the heads. Thus, it starts spooling at around 2K rpm and is a constant pull up to the limiter. I rode in a Lovefab turbo and though I loved the power, it really kicks you in the chest when you hit 5K rpm and VTEC kicks in. Plus there is a little bit more lag as the turbo is further away from the heads. I did a lot of research before I made my decision and you can't go wrong with Lovefab, Angus or SOS. All three are known for their quality and reliability.

I chose the SOS because it was close to the same setup as the new NSX coming next year. And, as many of the other NSX owners at our NSteXPO in Dallas found, there is almost nothing to see. If it's installed right, the only give away is the blow off valve and the sound when you get going. It looks like the factory installed it. I also installed the piggy-back FIC so I can keep my codes. At the tune, which was in the 100 degree, high humidity that South Texas is known for, I got 416 rwhp at 8.6 lbs of boost. Per the tuner, once our temperatures finally get cooler (say in the 70s) I should see about 425-430 rwhp and 340 ft lbs of torque at 8.6 lbs of boost. I believe that my setup gives the NSX to perfect amount of HP that is very controllable. It just blasts off and there is very little to no wheel spin.

Attachments

• 20140828_175746.jpg
    20140828_175746.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 20140904_105315.jpg
    20140904_105315.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 191
I drove ole's sos tt at similar power levels and it was very nice. It would be hard to go wrong with that setup but it is a lot more money than other turbo kits an you still have to buy an exhaust.

I have the SOS twin kit on my 2002 with the stock engine setup. And it is amazing. Virtually no lag and the torque is there because the turbos are almost directly attached to the exhaust ports on the heads. Thus, it starts spooling at around 2K rpm and is a constant pull up to the limiter. I rode in a Lovefab turbo and though I loved the power, it really kicks you in the chest when you hit 5K rpm and VTEC kicks in. Plus there is a little bit more lag as the turbo is further away from the heads. I did a lot of research before I made my decision and you can't go wrong with Lovefab, Angus or SOS. All three are known for their quality and reliability.

I chose the SOS because it was close to the same setup as the new NSX coming next year. And, as many of the other NSX owners at our NSteXPO in Dallas found, there is almost nothing to see. If it's installed right, the only give away is the blow off valve and the sound when you get going. It looks like the factory installed it. I also installed the piggy-back FIC so I can keep my codes. At the tune, which was in the 100 degree, high humidity that South Texas is known for, I got 416 rwhp at 8.6 lbs of boost. Per the tuner, once our temperatures finally get cooler (say in the 70s) I should see about 425-430 rwhp and 340 ft lbs of torque at 8.6 lbs of boost. I believe that my setup gives the NSX to perfect amount of HP that is very controllable. It just blasts off and there is very little to no wheel spin.

Thanks for the feedback! I really think the setup you have is ideally what I want to go with. What is the cost of the system installed? I figure I can get about 7-8k for my CTSC(I hope) since it has like 5000 miles on it. I have the RM exhaust already that I could use for it. What else do I need?

- - - Updated - - -

I drove ole's sos tt at similar power levels and it was very nice. It would be hard to go wrong with that setup but it is a lot more money than other turbo kits an you still have to buy an exhaust.

Net, how did it compare with the ctsc? U and I have practically the same car and set up so would love to hear if it really felt that much different.

- - - Updated - - -

that sounds bloody fantastic!

Thanks for the feedback!

Net, how did it compare with the ctsc? U and I have practically the same car and set up so would love to hear if it really felt that much different.

that sounds bloody fantastic!

It honestly felt similar just more power. If you like the kick in the pants of a larger turbo it's not for you. I think my old bbsc pulled harder, but it had 412 rwhp on dyno dynamics. It also grenaded. ;)

There is a noticeable difference with high boost but agree with others about turbo setups yielding more power and torque for a given boost level. For example, my car dynod at 410hp and 298tq at 9lbs on a 3.0L. The cost to achieve that level above and beyond the standard boost setup from CT was approximately 4k (new fuel pressure regulator, intercooler, fuel injectors, pulley and engine management system and installation & tuning). If you factor in the initial cost of the SC kit, the SOS turbo seems like a better option as it allows for more growth potential.

Keep this in mind. Percentage wise, the biggest change is going from 250 to say 350 hp (with corresponding TQ change). That's 40% and you'll REALLY feel it. Going from 350 to 450 is only 28%, yea you'll feel it, but not like 40% and it'll cost 2-3 times more. Going from 450 to 550 is only 22% and it'll cost 3-4 times more to do it reliably. Anyway, you get the idea. It's like getting tolerance to drugs, you need more and more to get that same feel you got when you added that first extra 100hp. Then you add the high cap clutch, the stiffer suspension, the big brakes, the loud exhaust, etc, and the car becomes a pain to drive in traffic, rattles your teeth out on the slightest bump, squeals like a pig when you hit the brakes and makes your ears ring after ten minutes. It'll go like stink on the track but the joy of just "driving around town" or taking a long trip is lost. It least it is for me. I wish I left things alone after my first 100

Thanks for the feedback! I really think the setup you have is ideally what I want to go with. What is the cost of the system installed? I figure I can get about 7-8k for my CTSC(I hope) since it has like 5000 miles on it. I have the RM exhaust already that I could use for it. What else do I need?- - - Updated - - -Net, how did it compare with the ctsc? U and I have practically the same car and set up so would love to hear if it really felt that much different.- - - Updated - - -that sounds bloody fantastic!
Thanks, I would still love to hear something better, actions speaks louder than words/NETVIPER.I would also like to hear/see SOS TTon video. For whatever reason those guys don't post. I feel SOS makes/sells a solid product(based on reviews) but there is nothing for a cusomers to see or compare it to until money is spent. I would have got the TT initially but seeing and riding in a LF NSX I trusted it rather than simple conversation or opinion about what I couldn't see beyound 1 video advertismnet of the car being driven normal....Viper, post some video Bro! Let me hear that spool....

Last edited:
Thanks, I would still love to hear something better, actions speaks louder than words/NETVIPER.I would also like to hear/see SOS TTon video. For whatever reason those guys don't post. I feel SOS makes/sells a solid product(based on reviews) but there is nothing for a cusomers to see or compare it to until money is spent. I would have got the TT initially but seeing and riding in a LF NSX I trusted it rather than simple conversation or opinion about what I couldn't see beyound 1 video advertismnet of the car being driven normal....Viper, post some video Bro! Let me hear that spool....

Why don't you come down to that wannagofast event with Alex. You can hear it in person. :) No spooling with a blower... just whining...:)

Back