• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The "J" Swap

Got some time in on the port design for the Jv6 ITB system , Here's some pictures. LHP
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2003_0101Jv6-60-ITB0001.JPG
    2003_0101Jv6-60-ITB0001.JPG
    456.4 KB · Views: 2,141
  • 2003_0101Jv6-60-ITB0007.JPG
    2003_0101Jv6-60-ITB0007.JPG
    465.2 KB · Views: 2,127
  • 2003_0101Jv6-60-ITB0003.JPG
    2003_0101Jv6-60-ITB0003.JPG
    458 KB · Views: 2,130
David what happens with the dozens of engine harnesses, hoses, tubes, everything with a little OEM clip that goes into a particular place that is now out of place? I have never done an engine swap but it seems a lot of stuff would become messy even if it works an it just will look like a mess. Can you talk about this?

Have you an idea of how much it'll cost for the complete swap? Ballpark?

Budget about $7,000 to have a complete swap done for you, or about $4,500-5,000 to do it yourself.

Got some time in on the port design for the Jv6 ITB system , Here's some pictures. LHP
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Lance, these look amazing! Can't wait to see how these perform. Thank you so much for developing for the Jv6.

David what happens with the dozens of engine harnesses, hoses, tubes, everything with a little OEM clip that goes into a particular place that is now out of place? I have never done an engine swap but it seems a lot of stuff would become messy even if it works an it just will look like a mess. Can you talk about this?

Turbo2go, after the J-swap there are less hoses and tubes, in fact you can usually take out the whole emissions box and it's vacuum hose mess. The adapted wire harness plugs in just like the factory harness on the NSX and nothing looks messy or out of place, in fact it looks cleaner. The J-series is a much tidier engine with fewer hoses, tubes and wires.

I see this engine having so much potential, especially when they are so plentiful and cheap in wrecking yards, not only as a replacement for the NSX, but for the drag racing Honda crowd and for sand cars and other applications I have not thought about, Even Honda sells this engine twin turbo'd for road racing.

LHP

Jigga what? That sounds way too good to be true.

Well, figure about $1,000 for the engine complete with throttle body, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, A/C compressor, alternator, wire harness and ECU. $1,000 for basic external engine refresh, $3,500 for my complete kit and $1,500 to R&R the engine.

You can spend more by doing some upgrades to the engine before it is installed, like valve springs $600 (since you are going to adjust the valves anyway), polish the upper and lower intake plenums.

Enjoy!

Well, figure about $1,000 for the engine complete with throttle body, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, A/C compressor, alternator, wire harness and ECU. $1,000 for basic external engine refresh, $3,500 for my complete kit and $1,500 to R&R the engine.

You can spend more by doing some upgrades to the engine before it is installed, like valve springs $600 (since you are going to adjust the valves anyway), polish the upper and lower intake plenums.

Enjoy!

Damn, this swap just may need to happen sooner than later if that's the case. My only engine swap I've ever done was super custom on my Exige so my experience of swapping engines is way more pricey.

Maybe this has been covered in the previous pages but does everything still work after the swap --- Gauges? Traction control?

Last edited:
Yes, sooner! It is really simple as far as engine swaps go. I have made it literally a bolt in affair with my kit. You can do it cheaper the more you do yourself.

Check out www.car-part.com for the engines near you.

Lance, when do you think these will be available?

I'm working on them when I have the time between paying work,
so I don't have a set completion date, but I will be doing (2) systems,
1 for the drag race crowd with 60 m/m throttles and 1 for the street with 54 m/m throttles,longer ports.
Early next year hopefully !

LHP

I don't know if this was covered but what happens with drive by wire? Is this swap compatible with all years NSX? Dave, in your opinion what is the best setup to keep power to around 400-450 horsepower? What can be had with a 3.7L ITB? My car is drive by wire... I need a little guidance on the J as to where to go. Turbo? I like to stay below 450 simply because I don't want to break transmission and other drivetrain parts. I am looking for solid reliability. (which probably means forget ITB lol)

Last edited:
Doesn't look like something you can buy like GM crate engine

Exactly. That looks nothing like a J engine. However, the J swap is perfect for low budget nsx owners after blowing original motors. Which is a great offering. But still lies at the heart of a minivan IMHO.
My .02 pennies....

Maybe this has been covered in the previous pages but does everything still work after the swap --- Gauges? Traction control?

Sorry, I missed this part. The only thing I didn't get working was the traction control, everything else works, all gauges, cruise control, A/C.

I don't know if this was covered but what happens with drive by wire? Is this swap compatible with all years NSX? Dave, in your opinion what is the best setup to keep power to around 400-450 horsepower? What can be had with a 3.7L ITB? My car is drive by wire... I need a little guidance on the J as to where to go. Turbo? I like to stay below 450 simply because I don't want to break transmission and other drivetrain parts. I am looking for solid reliability. (which probably means forget ITB lol)

Yes, you can do this swap with a DBW NSX and either keep the DBW or add the throttle cable back in. The J37 has a different bell housing pattern and I don't believe will bolt up to the NSX transmission.

Between the J32a2 and J35a3, both in NA form, I feel the faster revving J32a2 is a better match for the gearing of the NSX. However, there is no denying the increase in torque with the J35a3.

If you are going turbo, then I would lean towards the J32 again, since you are going to get more torque with the turbo and like you said, best not to break anything.

The J32a3 from the 04-08 Acura TL is a DBW engine with the correct bell housing to bolt to the NSX. The J35a8 has a different bell housing. The J32a3 also has the cast in head exhaust manifold (one big exhaust port).

HPD used production blocks and heads for the HR28 and HR35 engines. Those engines are J series engines based on one of the newer DBW J35s.

So, yes, you can buy one.

Honda used a J series engine in their NSX Pikes Peak car.

JV6 doesn't have the panache of an expensive highly Boosted Honda K engine and no reliability,
but is a good cheap CV6 replacement for the NSX with options out there to make good power.

LHP

That's awesome. I need to find a NSX and ship it to David for a swap.

If anyone has a lead on one let me know!

Back