• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The New CT Engineering Supercharger

Hi Guys,
I thought I would post a couple pictures of the new CT Supercharger we are in the final stages of testing for them. The kit is going back to the Lysholm brand of charger but the newer design (1600AX) from the original Comptech kits (1600AR). Yes, it is a little smaller than the Autorotor unit but will not have the pinging trouble that some of you have run into. In our testing on a 3.0 liter NSX that had an Autorotor unit at the same boost levels both blowers made the same HP and TQ. We will be testing it on a 3.2 liter very soon. New kits should be shipping early next year and it will have CARB #. Cheers, Shad

Attachments

• IMG_1330small.jpg
    IMG_1330small.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_1337small.jpg
    IMG_1337small.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,335
Shad are you talking about the pinging that the autorotor guys had or the pinging like I have on my old whipple 1600AR hump bank whale, or all of the above?
What do you figure is the pinging caused by with the said set up?
Will this new whipple fit on the old old old manifolds or do you need
the one with bolted on top?
Are the rest of the components the same for the 3.0 obdI
You started this thread so now come the questions.
Trev

Hi Guys,
I thought I would post a couple pictures of the new CT Supercharger we are in the final stages of testing for them. The kit is going back to the Lysholm brand of charger but the newer design (1600AX) from the original Comptech kits (1600AR). Yes, it is a little smaller than the Autorotor unit but will not have the pinging trouble that some of you have run into. In our testing on a 3.0 liter NSX that had an Autorotor unit at the same boost levels both blowers made the same HP and TQ. We will be testing it on a 3.2 liter very soon. New kits should be shipping early next year and it will have CARB #. Cheers, Shad

Shad, why don't they switch to the W140AX 2.3 liter blower? They could just run the blower slower due to the increased air volume it compresses leaving room for those who want more power the ability to move up after they build their motor; this could also as an added benefit lower air temp since the blower doesn't have to work so hard. This would also enable more boost potential to those with a built motor to get into the power band that some of the current offered turbo systems provide with the added benefit of a CARB cert for those who need it.

Seems to me that this would be a positive change and a win for everyone, let's get a real upgrade not just a replacement that provides the same result with minor to no additional benefit in regards to boost limits although the pinging problems are more than a minor issue. Just trying my best here to spur some innovation since CT is working on a change.

Last edited:
Here we go.

the_story_about_ping.jpg

Shad are you talking about the pinging that the autorotor guys had or the pinging like I have on my old whipple 1600AR hump bank whale, or all of the above?
What do you figure is the pinging caused by with the said set up?
Will this new whipple fit on the old old old manifolds or do you need
the one with bolted on top?
Are the rest of the components the same for the 3.0 obdI
You started this thread so now come the questions.
Trev

Hi Trev,
The pinging is caused by too much boost for the amount of timing and fuel. No, the new Lysholm mounts from the bottom like the Autorotor so it will not work on your manifold. Sorry, Shad

Are they going away from the Autorotor because of the pining issues?

Yes and no, The Autorotor brand is going away (Autorotor & Lysholm are both owned by the same company). By going back to the Lysholm they are getting back to a blower that is better sized for most of the NSX customers. Cheers, Shad

Ok, so why not just slow down the autorotor?
It looks like Ct got a little too excited on all this stuff.
Safe would have been a step back.
If a person wanted more boost, well then, you need the big injectors and control for it.
I feel the original low boost whipple actually was not done properly and its good to see that somehow its all coming together to provide a proper safe kit.
Just my 2 cents, but what do I know.
I am glad you are in the mix with this.
Enjoy.
Trev

The new kit using the 1600AX compressor is a very good design that like Shad says is the best fit for most NSX applications. A higher capacity setup will be available for those customers looking for something more advanced or with modified engines.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Shad, why don't they switch to the W140AX 2.3 liter blower? They could just run the blower slower due to the increased air volume it compresses leaving room for those who want more power the ability to move up after they build their motor; this could also as an added benefit lower air temp since the blower doesn't have to work so hard. This would also enable more boost potential to those with a built motor to get into the power band that some of the current offered turbo systems provide with the added benefit of a CARB cert for those who need it.

Seems to me that this would be a positive change and a win for everyone, let's get a real upgrade not just a replacement that provides the same result with minor to no additional benefit in regards to boost limits although the pinging problems are more than a minor issue. Just trying my best here to spur some innovation since CT is working on a change.

Hi,
Going to a bigger blower is not always better. On the 3.0 liter cars you have to run such a large pulley to keep the boost down that the belt starts to run into the motor mount. Tuning the the larger blower on a OBD2 NSX with the CARB approved fuel management is not possible (I have tried) it barely works with the Autorotor. Yes, you can use the AEM FIC but you would have to redo the CARB testing which is not cheap and it would add $ to the price of the kit once you add everything. The biggest question is why go to a larger blower? You can make 12 psi+ with this size Lysholm. With an aftercooler and proper tuning you can make 430+ rwhp on a 3.0 liter and 450+ on a 3.2 liter and the 90% of the time you are not in boost you do not have to turn the larger blower. I am not saying the larger blower is not better but it is not better for everyone. For most of the people that are buying a CT kit they are looking for smog legal, good power, reliable, and most of all not blow up the engine. I hope this answers your question, Shad

Hi Guys,
IThe kit is going back to the Lysholm brand of charger but the newer design (1600AX) from the original Comptech kits (1600AR).

Hi Shad,
Since I have the older style unit (1600AR), I bought from you when you were still with Comptech. What would be the benefit for the guys to upgrade to the newer unit? Is it a drop and swap?
Thanks
Charles

I'm going to suggest and will edit if wrong, that the new 1600AX unit is more efficient as in the manner that the autorotor is over the 1600AR.
I believe that the inlet into the unit is larger which is part of the equation.

You need to have a CT intake manifold that has a bolted or screwed on top plate. If you have the old old old welded top one like I have, then you can't use this new booster!

Here is a link to the 1600AX.
Trev
http://www.opcon.se/index.asp?sPage=1&langID=2&cID=14

Ok, so why not just slow down the autorotor?
It looks like Ct got a little too excited on all this stuff.
Safe would have been a step back.
If a person wanted more boost, well then, you need the big injectors and control for it.
I feel the original low boost whipple actually was not done properly and its good to see that somehow its all coming together to provide a proper safe kit.
Just my 2 cents, but what do I know.
I am glad you are in the mix with this.
Enjoy.
Trev

Hi Trev,
When the Autorotor unit from Comptech was sold the final tuning was done by someone other than me. Yes, I felt the kits should have been sold with a larger pulley to lower the boost and more fuel added with the ACM. I am sorry you felt the original low boost whipple was not tuned properly, but history has proven you wrong. There are hundreds of Comptech Supercharger kits on NSX's running great (over 500 sold last time I counted and that was many years ago). I feel it is a step in the correct direction that the CT engineering guys are not just selling something that was developed in the final days before Comptech closed, but are making things better. Chris has something in the works that is using alot of the CT parts, but is for the guy that might want a little more. Cheers, Shad

I'm going to suggest and will edit if wrong, that the new 1600AX unit is more efficient as in the manner that the autorotor is over the 1600AR.
I believe that the inlet into the unit is larger which is part of the equation.

You need to have a CT intake manifold that has a bolted or screwed on top plate. If you have the old old old welded top one like I have, then you can't use this new booster!

Here is a link to the 1600AX.
Trev
http://www.opcon.se/index.asp?sPage=1&langID=2&cID=14

Thanks Trev for the response and link. Mine was one of the last versions sold before the New units replaced them. I guess I have an older newer unit..

I had to bolt everything together when I installed it.

Charles

Great discussions taking place here. Love it.
I love the knowledge.
First I am not attacking anyone or anyone's tune.
Perhaps my Old Whipple set up is so old that I need a new RRFPR.
That will be all in the past when I finally throw in the larger Honda injectors, change to my friends HiBoost RRFPR and retune.
I just found and thought that the response from the low boost setup's auxiliary accessories was too slow to react for the quick amount of air being pumped in and that is why some people in some locations with some setups had a little ping issue. Could just be my one step cold plugs or my low compression pistons or our altitude or our cold dense air.
I watch my a/f guage and see it go lean at immediate boost and then go so fat past 10:1. I took out my RRFPR's vent and plugged it for faster reaction time and also cranked up the fuel pressure to make it rich rich.
End result is my thoughts went in the direction that the stock injectors don't have the jam to begin with, but can catch up.
That is all i am thinking or had thought.
As the old saying goes "I was just pouring more fuel on the fire" or into the injectors. lol
Trev

Shad how do these compare in IAT vs Whipple v1 and Autorotor? You meantioned the Autorotors tend to have 10-20 degree lower temps than Whipple v1.

Is the new charger, better, same, not as good..?

Hi Trev,
When the Autorotor unit from Comptech was sold the final tuning was done by someone other than me. Yes, I felt the kits should have been sold with a larger pulley to lower the boost and more fuel added with the ACM.

Are you saying that it is your opinion that the Comptech Autorotor NSX SC kit was not correctly engineered?

Why is it worth it for CT Engineering to reengineer a already proven SC setup. And after all at what cost, they already charge like 9k for the things. How many new SC are they going to sell if they have already sold approx. 500? I guess I’m just surprised that they would go back and change there setup three times on a low #/out of production 16 year old car. Especially with the way the economy is today. I just think they had it right the 1st And 2nd time.

Not knocking the CT SC it’s a great setup, but business wise just don’t make sense.

Why is it worth it for CT Engineering to reengineer a already proven SC setup. And after all at what cost, they already charge like 9k for the things. How many new SC are they going to sell if they have already sold approx. 500? I guess I’m just surprised that they would go back and change there setup three times on a low #/out of production 16 year old car. Especially with the way the economy is today. I just think they had it right the 1st And 2nd time.

Not knocking the CT SC it’s a great setup, but business wise just don’t make sense.

Perhaps it's the availability of core components ie.,the blower?
This was my first impression but, from what I read in this thread, maybe they, Comptech, didn't have it right and now the new company, CT Engineering is trying to correct that with Shad's help?

Last edited:

This is my #1 question. I have to admit, the fact that the "near-perfectly reliable, no compromise, adds ~60rwhp autorotor CTSC" is being redesigned to improve reliability is quite disconcerting. Not in any way towards the pros doing the work, but towards my own interpretation of *lots* of Prime posts hailing how perfect the CTSC was. Seeing that *the pros* think that there's enough room for improvement to bother redesigning the system, primarily for reliability, is unnerving. Sorry that's my rant. Keep up the great work Shad, Chris and Co. I'm a buyer one of these days. :redface:

Back