• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The New CT Engineering Supercharger

Hi Guys,
Yes, as Joe pointed out the changes/redesign of the Comptech/CT kit over the years has happened because of the supply of blowers. Getting blower from the guys in Sweden (both Lysholm & Autorotor) has been very difficult, just ask Whipple (original Lysholm importer). I am not saying the Autorotor kit is not reliable or safe. But there is some situation that the ECU does not see enough IAT to remove the timing and the car will ping a little. I do not know of anyone that has had any engine trouble caused by this. For the few people that have had some concerns we can reflash the ACM and make a small change to the FPR to help add some fuel to make the pinging less but it still might happen. Cheers, Shad

This is my #1 question. I have to admit, the fact that the "near-perfectly reliable, no compromise, adds ~60rwhp autorotor CTSC" is being redesigned to improve reliability is quite disconcerting. Not in any way towards the pros doing the work, but towards my own interpretation of *lots* of Prime posts hailing how perfect the CTSC was. Seeing that *the pros* think that there's enough room for improvement to bother redesigning the system, primarily for reliability, is unnerving. Sorry that's my rant. Keep up the great work Shad, Chris and Co. I'm a buyer one of these days. :redface:

The actual blower unit is outsourced. It's not about "improvement" as it is about availability/cost. They're switching to a different company to produce the blower (from my understanding) to save time/money.

The actual blower unit is outsourced. It's not about "improvement" as it is about availability/cost. They're switching to a different company to produce the blower (from my understanding) to save time/money.

+1 if you want to believe posts in other forums. There was a time not long ago where there were near to none blowers available, due to whatever reason.

Blow-up's: I recall one engine with the Autorotor which blow up in cold air with the Autorotor producing something like 9 lbs of boost. There has been a long thread about it on here some time ago. The result was that the Autorotor was unexpectadely producing more boost in the cold. Here we go: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95448

Last edited:
Blow-up's: I recall one engine with the Autorotor which blow up in cold air with the Autorotor producing something like 9 lbs of boost. There has been a long thread about it on here some time ago. The result was that the Autorotor was unexpectadely producing more boost in the cold. Here we go: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95448

Does the AEM FIC help for the autorotor issues? (at least in NA2)

Perhaps it's the availability of core components ie.,the blower?
This was my first impression but, from what I read in this thread, maybe they, Comptech, didn't have it right and now the new company, CT Engineering is trying to correct that with Shad's help?

No... you guys don't know Shad & Comptech. They are not your average throw-a-kit together and hope they don't get sued or blow too many engines up.

Shad & Comptech are dedicated at providing as close to 100% reliability and comapitbility with stock ECU. 95% reliability is more than good enough for 99% of all other tuners out there but not Comptech & Shad.

There is nothign wrong with the Autorotor, especially with good tunning. Given the higher boost that comes on quick, it may result in a little bit of pinging.. maybe.. in sub 30F weather but no engine has blown up. Mitigations are available as Shad mentioned and/or get an octane booster in there..

In Cali, I don't see how people could have problems.

This next blower I'm sure will take all the good things of the previous 2.1.

Under the right hands (DA or Autowave..or..........?) you have nothing to worry about.

Can't wait.. I may end up putting this on (well..maybe not, too cheap ;) )

Last edited:
Goldnsx, read that whole thread, it was all speculation, the guy broke a crank, thats all. No fault of any certain blower.
Trev
Wow, did I open a can of worms here.....lol

If that's the reason (and the ONLY reason), then my skepticism is unwarranted. You can't produce a product without the necessary parts.

But, if this redesign/improvement, is also due to some (minor) flaw in the autorotor design, then that is a different story.

That's all I'm saying. And, in all fairness, I'm a total novice in these issues. But I have 1 NSX and 1 NSX motor, and I expect them both to last a lifetime. :tongue::biggrin:

No... you guys don't know Shad & Comptech. They are not your average throw-a-kit together and hope they don't get sued or blow too many engines up.

Shad & Comptech are dedicated at providing as close to 100% reliability and comapitbility with stock ECU. 95% reliability is more than good enough for 99% of all other tuners out there but not Comptech & Shad.

There is nothign wrong with the Autorotor, especially with good tunning. Given the higher boost that comes on quick, it may result in a little bit of pinging.. maybe.. in sub 30F weather but no engine has blown up. Mitigations are available as Shad mentioned and/or get an octane booster in there..

In Cali, I don't see how people could have problems.

This next blower I'm sure will take all the good things of the previous 2.1.

Under the right hands (DA or Autowave..or..........?) you have nothing to worry about.

Can't wait.. I may end up putting this on (well..maybe not, too cheap ;) )

PLEASE, pretty please with sugar on top, don't quote me and start with that "you guys " lumping me in with someone else.

I have a Autrotor CTSC and am very familiar with who Shad is and Comptech are, or in the case of the latter, were. I expect there are and will be great things from CT Engineering. I have been and will continue to be a customer of CTE .

For the record my stock, Autorotor CTSC works just fine for going on three years, no pinging and no lean conditions. I run it throughout the cold New York winter on any day the roads are dry regardless of the outside temp.
I had a Innovate Motorsport wideband controller installed and on 20 degree Fahrenheit days, WOT, at 7lbs of boost never saw a AF number leaner than 11.2 and even that was just for a fraction of a second.
I also have, as you can see from my avatar a boost and fuel pressure gauges.

No disrespect to anyone but I'm not new at playing with cars either so I like to check things out for myself , hence the monitoring devices and gauges.
I know mine works fine. It was installed perfectly too, BTW by LarryB. He did a neat,correct, masterful install. Like many of us, Larry cares and takes pride in his work. .

BTW with the stock low boost CTSC there is no "tuning". You properly install the kit and go.

If I had to do it over again, in todays world, I'd be on the phone with CT Engineering buying what ever SC kit they sell and never worry a moment, especially after what I have experienced.

I've had my autorotor on 5 different dynos, it has never pinged, AFR are rock solid, and boost has never exceeded 7 PSI. Despite all this I had a dyno reading as high as 396 with my GT1 header and exhaust, and a uni filter. I ran 2 track days and the weather was hot, lap after lap on a 997TT's ass on the straights the thing ran flawlessly and pushed some oil vapor out the small nozzle. I had it all inspected afterwards and everything was in great shape, I wasn't even recommended an oil change nor did the autorotor need any additional oil. It was a matter of wiping off some vapor with a rag.

Last I talked to CTE they said that the problem they had was securing autorotor units, and they were looking into different solutions. CT is a small company so Lysholm is not that concerned whether they get their parts and in time or not. Even the big group buy was held up for a long time due to a lack of blowers. I literally received the second to the last one that came out of Sweden before the change of hands at CT.

My car has been running perfectly and very strong since day one with the Autorotor. I am sure the new unit is also great and will work just as well.

Last edited:
I ran 2 track days and the weather was hot, lap after lap on a 997TT's ass on the straights the thing ran flawlessly and pushed some oil vapor out the small nozzle.

I thought the pining issues were more related to NSX's in cold weather climates. Maybe I am remebering that wrong.

For the record my stock, Autorotor CTSC works just fine for going on three years, no pinging and no lean conditions. I run it throughout the cold New York winter on any day the roads are dry regardless of the outside temp.

BTW with the stock low boost CTSC there is no "tuning". You properly install the kit and go.

IS this true? If so I'll buy one on the spot!

I, like SkiBanker, want a reliable setup where we don't need to worry about replacing a NSX motor!

Shad what's your take on this?

Yes, plug and play is what you want.
From there, you can start changing things.
If you want more boost and power, then you change things in groups, like the pulley, injectors, Fuel pressure regulator, fuel control - be it full aem or add on device and then clutch and then rear tyres as you shred them. lol
I am/was happy with my low boost old whipple set up, but am creeping up to higher boost and what goes with it.
6 lbs is fun, 8 funn'r and 9 funn'ist! Ed's pushing his 1600AR to 10.5 with aem and water spray.
The low boost brings the car to where is should have been been as released by Honda, or as a second engine option.
I was told by LarryB, who drove my car for a day at Nsxpo, that the autorotor has way more horsepower than the old whipple hump back unit - 1600AR - and for me not to drive one or I'll get mad that I don't have one.
I am positive that the boyz new unit will have all the features of all the units wrapped up with Xmas Kisses for the new season.
Its just the natural progression and the talent coming together and growing.
No matter which unit you have or get, you'll be happy and reborn.
Trev

Last edited:
For those that have had problems, what cars was it on? Did it have AEM setup?

From speaking to Shad, he mentioned that a large number of the early cars he's seen as having problems, stock injectors, ECU etc.. He said it's really hard to get the fuel pump and injectors to pump enough fuel.

Also, on the earlier cars, the 'stock' pulley makes as high as 9 lbs psi and this makes them even more difficult. He said he's had to resort to putting a very 'large' (?) pulley.. or whatever brings down to boost to 6/7 psi in order to work.

With the later cars, he's found it to be easier and less suscepitble to pinging, especially if you go AEM and/or additional parts.

I think this is a progression. The stock Whipple was a rock solid setup. The "high boost" was going on the edge and the Autorotor, even in stock form, produces massive amounts of boost quickly. With the right setup, you can really take advantage of it, but it raises the bar for minium requirements and seems to be havingt an impact on long term reliability.

In the end, whatever setup you go with, unless you're at the stock Whipple, you really need to have AEM FIC/Standalone unit + bigger injectors else I think, it's just a matter of time.

This blower is probably a midpoint between the stock Whipple and the Autorotor that works across a broad band of spectrum.

BTW, if anyone with a lower year model car that is having issues would be interested in swapping their Autorotor with my whipple, contact me.

Last edited:
IS this true? If so I'll buy one on the spot!

I, like SkiBanker, want a reliable setup where we don't need to worry about replacing a NSX motor!

Shad what's your take on this?

Get out your wallet.:biggrin:
There are no steps for tuning in the install manual for my auto rotor or the old Whipple. (I have both install manuals).

They recommended cleaning and balancing your injectors (they use to offer this service for a reasonable fee-I had mine done by RC Engineering) and change your fuel filter. Of course it would be wise to make sure your engine is in good shape and I would recommend a compression check if you are uncertain. Again, the two previous low boost, stock Comptech SC's were made to install and go, with no fiddling with tuning. I would expect this new unit would be the same since this was the intent of the package.

In the end, whatever setup you go with, unless you're at the stock Whipple, you really need to have AEM FIC/Standalone unit + bigger injectors else I think, it's just a matter of time.

I have a Comptech autorotor, low boost, stock kit and from what I have experinced and the other people I have personally known that have the same kit the above is just not true.

Once you go above the stock kit in terms of boost you do need to make changes in fuel management, injectors and tuning.

Last edited:
I have a Comptech autorotor, low boost, stock kit and from what I have experinced and the other people I have personally known that have the same kit the above is just not true.

Once you go above the stock kit in terms of boost you do need to make changes in fuel management, injectors and tuning.

You are making what, 7 psi.. the "stock" Autorotor, in some conditions, particularly the cold, are making as high as 9 psi.

Do you have a boost gauge? Have you done a recent compression and leakdown tests on your motor?

Last edited:
You are making what, 7 psi.. the "stock" Autorotor, in some conditions, particularly the cold, are making as high as 9 psi.

Do you have a boost gauge? Have you done a recent compression and leakdown tests on your motor?

Boost gauge? Why? My car is lowered.
I have not had a leakdown or compression test but, when it rains or when I wash my car, no water leaks in my car and the doors fit real tight so I know the weatherstrips are compressed.:confused:

Last edited:
Boost gauge? Why? My car is lowered.
I have not had a leakdown or compression test but, when it rains or when I wash my car, no water leaks in my car and the doors fit real tight so I know the weatherstrips are compressed.:confused:

..I'm assuming you're joking, right? :eek: Otherwise.......... well, I don't want to say.

..I'm assuming you're joking, right?

Nope.

blagojevich%20basketball.jpg

He is just joking around, you can see his dash in his avatar with his gauges.
Trev

Are you saying all of us with the standard Autorotor kits are driving ticking time bombs? Are you just saying that to get someone to trade their autorotor for your whipple?

We dyno test after each supercharger installation to verify the tune and all the systems we have tuned have good fueling. That being said, this system benefits greatly with a fuel/ignition tuneable solution like the F/IC.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Back