• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2015 F1 thread

Last edited:
Kimi is one lucky boy today... he could have had serious hand injuries -- or worse!

Kimi is one lucky boy today... he could have had serious hand injuries -- or worse!
Indeed. I was watching it in slow motion and aero pieces on the right side of that McLaren/Honda were maybe a foot away from his helmet.
Still not sure if he got tapped by Alonso or just fish tailed on power. Happy to see Massa holding to 3rd but few more laps and red car would got him. My favorite today was Bottas. Also too bad two Hondas with DNFs. Off to Silverstone ;)

Wow, for Honda fans Austria was dreadful. The season, considering the lack of power and now the situation with falling behind on power unit tokens resulting in penalties guaranteed to have the team start at the back of the grid, is in a tailspin. I really hope Honda doesn't end up like Toyota, dumping lots of $$ into F1 only to have disappointing results.

I also hope McLaren can help Honda avoid what happened to Toyota. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that 2015 is serving as a strong learning foundation for a competitive car in 2016. Unfortunately, I think 2015 is a write-off but I hope I'm wrong.

As A Honda/Mclrean fan, I can't believe what this team is going through....I'm also disappointed with Honda, I would have thought that they would have a good handle on the Power Unit by now, knowing that they started working on this Appox 2 years ago.

Yes, I agree Kimi was lucky in that accident.

Bram

the way it's going Honda could be behind for years, there won't be a miracle turnaround in a few races that has Alonso fighting for the podium.

the new game plan may be, if you can't beat the Ferrari's, just ram 'em!

Kimi is a lucky boy...

No one should sell McL short. They're very good at what they do - Honda too -- though that's not evident at the moment... once they get their act together, watch them fly.

No one should sell McL short. They're very good at what they do - Honda too -- though that's not evident at the moment... once they get their act together, watch them fly.

I hope you're right. B/c I'm not feeling the love for McHonda right now. And I am, or thought I was anyway, a most ardent fan.

Please remember that the current breed of F1 cars are the most complex vehicles ever put on the planet.
Mercedes got it right (if you ask them, they'll tell you it was a mixture of guess-work and luck -- not to mention a bottomless wallet) with turbo placement. Heat displacement (cooling) is the key with these power packages.
Just wait until 2016.

If you want to gain an understanding of today F1 car, this site may help -> http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/engine_power_unit_and_ers.html.hat The article doesn't mention the software required to make the power plants work. The Germans seem to have the best coders at the moment since the WO7 is working so well. I was told by an Acura engineer that our long waited NSX is having software issues that may delay deliveries. I bet the Honda F1 team sure wish they had some of Merc coders.

If you want to gain an understanding of today F1 car, this site may help -> http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/engine_power_unit_and_ers.html.hat The article doesn't mention the software required to make the power plants work. The Germans seem to have the best coders at the moment since the WO7 is working so well. I was told by an Acura engineer that our long waited NSX is having software issues that may delay deliveries. I bet the Honda F1 team sure wish they had some of Merc coders.

There's a shock. Might be time to cancel your order for one of the first ones or make sure you're never out of cell phone range so you can call for roadside assistance

I remember last year, Vettle's Red Bull had to be rebooted so the software and hardware could work properly. The whole computer age on F1 started with Active Suspension, traction control, etc. Funny they banned such improvements, but ended up with Power Units to make the greenie's happy. At the end of an interview with Bernie the week on the Canadian GP, he said the hybrid's are OK, because the FE will save the world -).

Yeah, the software required for the Power unit intergration is massive....anyone involved with any complex system, would appreciate the enormity of the task. Writing code for this is not by any means easy or a small task....then add, brake by wire,turbo and heat management into the mix....oh and don't forget the other systems as well, that is required to run an F1 car.
The Honda Power unit does not sound as refined as the others on the grid, and this is quit noticeable at the track.

Bram

Yes, the power plants are complex and yes Honda is playing catch up with a dominant competitor(s) in a rebuilding year. But McHonda is behind every team sans Marussia.

There should be more progress than double retirements. Ridiculous.

If the nsxcc would only loan them a spare main relay we might see better performance......

Pretty impressive start for the Williams boys!
Great win for Lewis!

Pretty impressive start for the Williams boys!
Great win for Lewis!
Amazing race indeed. Great start for Williams but pretty bad race management. They could have been on podium today. At least Bottas could I think (given later stage was handled okay - rain)

Poor Kimi.. two laps too early. And another great race from Hamilton.

Williams really screwed this one up. They should have let Bottas loose when he clearly had the faster pace. By the time they gave him the green light, it was too late. It was Austria 2014 all over again pretty much. Granted, the weather still came, but had they let Bottas get ahead and pull a gap while Massa defended against Ham, that would have changed their strategy. Speaking of, that little pit fake stunt pulled by Mercedes, isn't that illegal now??

It is illegal. But I'm sure they played it well enough to mask it.

McLaren/Honda need to get out from that doomed part of the peloton - there is always something going on there.

Last edited:
Williams really screwed this one up. They should have let Bottas loose when he clearly had the faster pace. By the time they gave him the green light, it was too late. It was Austria 2014 all over again pretty much. Granted, the weather still came, but had they let Bottas get ahead and pull a gap while Massa defended against Ham, that would have changed their strategy. Speaking of, that little pit fake stunt pulled by Mercedes, isn't that illegal now??

I agree for Williams.
Lewis was lucky.He is fast but this time Nico was faster before rain start and saved Lewis.
Fernando was also like Kimmi to early in box for inter tyres.
It's always fun when rain begins.

As other have said it was a great race and a perfect pit stop by Hamilton to hold on for the win.
Glad Alonso was able to score a point after retiring Button.

Back