• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2015 F1 thread

re: McLaren driver decision - the board and Ron could not come to an agreement. Oh boy, things are now going to get interesting if they let this drag on. It certainly adds another delay to the Honda-McLaren setup unfortunately. Later in the year, when the car is a underperforming, and battling for mid grid status, they'll have this indecision to thank for that.

Last edited:
I dont believe that driver selection have anything to do wth the Car development at this stage of the game....now if they still have not made up their minds on drivers prior to the start of testing that would be another story.

I think that Ron (who is a very smart Businessman) knows exactly who he want's to drive for his Team next year, and I don't think it either Button or Alonso...Just my thoughts.

Bram

any ERS technicians available ? Honda F1 is looking to hire you http://www.racestaff.com/job/657

- - - Updated - - -

McLaren currently has three shareholders I believe.

The Bahrain royal family investment arm Mumtalakat with 50 %, Ron Dennis with 25 %, and Mansour Ojjeh with 25%.
It also appears Ron Dennis is attempting to increase his shareholding to 62.5 % with Mansour Ojjeh holding 12.5% and Mumtalakat with 25%.
I've no idea if this has been done but if Ron Dennis has 62.5 % of the shares he'll be making all the big decisions.

JD you are correct. From what I've been told today from across the pond..

Ojjeh and Dennis both hold 25% shares and used to be such close partners that they their shares were often lumped together. They've reportedly had some disagreements of late, plus Ojjeh has health issues, and Dennis plans to buy out his shares. Dennis would also like to buy out a portion of the Bahraini shareholding (50%) to give him overall control of the team, but he needs to find outside investment to do so

the board is willing to delay this decision until the deadline for Dennis finding new investment passes. If he is able to buy them out, he will pick Magnussen. If not, they will go with Button. In the interim, though, Dennis is spending time in Denmark talking to potential sponsors so the board will choose Magnussen without him necessarily needing to buy him out. The board meeting was not designed to choose a driver but rather for Dennis to further pitch Magnussen and for the board to either reluctantly accept this or continue to delay the final choice.

and Bram, yes no talk of Alonso from anyone.. Hmmm??? I'll keep digging..

Last edited:
McLaren-Honda driver lineup to be announced tomorrow. I hope they keep Button to partner Alonso.

good strategy........keep KM on reserve as his time will come...or sometime down the road replace JB with Bottas for some bucks

Magnussen didn't really strike me as impressive in his rookie year. Bottas on the other hand, I'm very impressed with his driving and demeanor.

For sure Ron is not a happy guy with this line-up....well let's see what the two OLDest Men on the F1 grid can do for McLaren next year. Hoping the Honda power Unit can give them a boost, but Merc seem to be way ahead and will continue that form into 2015.

Bram

Ron loves young boys...........oops that didn't sound right:eek:

Well this will make for an interesting season.
While Mercedes and Hamilton/Rosberg may again be in front, let's hope the Honda engine will be competitive with Ferrari
and we have some interesting racing between Alonso/Button and Vettel/Raikkonen.

I think there will be less chance of the 2 McLaren guys taking each other out with JB .he is more of a gentleman...and team orders may work better with this lineup.

For sure Ron is not a happy guy with this line-up....well let's see what the two OLDest Men on the F1 grid can do for McLaren next year. Hoping the Honda power Unit can give them a boost, but Merc seem to be way ahead and will continue that form into 2015.

Bram

I've heard Honda are content as they are getting experienced driver "feedback" for their development of the engine.

Back