• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2015 F1 thread

Well, considering the amount of changes allowed to be made in F1 engines over the course of a season (in the name of cost savings), they may do well if the engine is as good from the get go as Macca and Honda wants it to be.

I'd like to Macca do well next year but Dennis' words just seem to be tolerable background noise. Meh.

Dennis' words just seem to be tolerable background noise. Meh.

So true....I like McLaren as a team of course with Honda Power unit, I hope they will do good next year, but I don't see them catching the Merc guys within the first half of 2015. McLaren and Honda do have an excellent track record of developing their package very quickly during the season. Honda has been working and developing this powerunit on their Dyno's during the past 18 months, so I'm sure that they are way ahead of both Renault and Ferrair and not to far off Merc. Anyway, testing is only two months away.

Bram

So true....I like McLaren as a team of course with Honda Power unit, I hope they will do good next year, but I don't see them catching the Merc guys within the first half of 2015. McLaren and Honda do have an excellent track record of developing their package very quickly during the season. Honda has been working and developing this powerunit on their Dyno's during the past 18 months, so I'm sure that they are way ahead of both Renault and Ferrair and not to far off Merc. Anyway, testing is only two months away.

From what I've read on F1 websites, Honda's facility in Sakura has 30 dynos, a mission control where the engine can be monitored real-time during races, and enough support (restaurants, living, and sleeping quarters) areas to keep everyone happy. The thing that is really pleasing to me is Honda's commitment to their F1 program. And I hope they buy some % of equity in the team eventually.

Well Shite! Looks like the FIA has screwed up again! http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/surpr...-allows-in-season-f1-engin-1677105155/+travis

While that is good for some, but us Honda fans are going to be left out in the cold it would seem. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think they all knew it and were so worried about Hondas new engines they let it slide until now. (I say that half-jokingly) I am hoping that McHonda will be able to find a way around this or they will be struggling for some years. Now if the new power unit is all conquering like the 88 engine then....they can all suck it! LOL

Last edited:
FIA once again shows such incompetence. Mercedes will widen the gap and I think it will a repeat of 2014. I hope we’ll see even a greater battle between hamilton and rosberg. All the Honda fans will be waiting even longer to see them move up grid. They may even become mobile chicanes at this point.

Feb 1 St, will be de-day for Mclrean/Honda, let see if all the testing and development they have been doing on their dynos throughout last year pays some dividend.

On another note... Ted Kravits of Skysport hinted that the FiIA may allow Honda to continue to develop their power unit during 2015, like the other.manufactures....Lets see.

Bram

$40m for Alonzo! Honda must have really wanted him.

I just had a little birdie tell me that Alonso was minutes away from signing with Porsche LeMans for 2015, but that Honda insisted and persuaded him to McLaren. So a somewhat validation of Honda wanting him there a lot more than Ron did.

I think Honda will have to homoligate their engine prior to the first race. And they can not use the additional time the other have to develop the 2015 engine.
The way I think the rules are written, is that you can only race 1 engine specification in a single season, and that's the one you homoligated. Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari already have a homoligated engine with their 2014 engine and can use it until they are ready to submit their 2015 engine spec for homoligation. The loop hole the existing engine manufactures are claiming is there was not a date specified to submit their 2015 engines. But Honda does not have a homoligated engine they can put in the car, and will have to submit one before the first race. The others are going to use the first 3-4 races with a 2014 spec engine, and then submit the 2015 spec engine that they use the for the rest of the season.

thats the way I think it is going to happen, but who knows in the world of F1!

Last edited:
I was just watching this interview and wanted to share with the spanish speaking prime members. I noticed that Alonso puts alot more emphasis to how he was won over by "Honda". He does aslo mentions Mclaren but it seems like he repeatedly says he was swayed because of his visits to Japan and speaking with the personell in Japan, seeing their determination for victory is what made him do the switch. I wonder if it's true that he may really be signed a contract with Honda.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ofMTUvnNfW8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Honda has to homologate for the first race but will get to develop as much as the other engine manufacturers during the season. It's as if the engine they bring to the first race is a 2014 engine.

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117386/honda-allowed-to-develop-f1-engine

They will be allowed to use the average number of unused tokens that the other engine suppliers bring to Australia. So say, Ferrari, Mercedes, and Renault use up all of their 32 allotted tokens to Australia, then Honda would not be able to make any upgrades, unless they have reliability or safety issues. I highly doubt all engine suppliers will use up all or most of their tokens, so I think Honda are in a good position, or should be.

Back