• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2019 F1 Thread

Congrats to Max... and to Honda!!
But what are the odds that he can lead out of the first turn... 1-in-100?
Go Lewis!
H-

Regarding RB's starts there's a chance of 60-80% that one or both Merc are overtaking Max at the start. But there's a chance that Max overtakes Merc at the pit stop unless one of the Merc holds him up. But RB said thev've solved the mapping problem. Honda is still in the learing phase and nobody expected them to perform so well. Renault had several engine blowups this season and RB would not have made this pole with Renault.
Go Max!

Toto Wolff is said to have had dinner with Jos Verstappen several times in the last weeks. But if Max remains 3rd in the CS after Hungary he can't leave RB by contract. As you can't force someone to drive in their team Max knows where his chances are the best. When is Hamilton retiring? He still seems to have a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Lucky? I thought that was a great call. Maybe lucky that Hamilton didn't pass Verstappen earlier so that RB use the same strategy...
Lucky in the way it would not have worked if Verstappens tires didn't melt down in the last 5 laps. Even Hamilton was unsure in lap 60 if it was a good call as he was still 15 seconds behind Max. They didn't have big data from the longruns of Friday, that's why it was unsure how long the tires will last. And both were driving the hell out of it if you see the great gap to the 3rd place, without the additional stopp it was nearly a full lap where the others looked like being on a sightseeing bus tour through London. :D

Unquestionably a deserved win for Hamilton.

Tell me again: who thinks F1 is boring?
: - )
H-

It was obvious that Merc of Lewis was faster car today.There was not chance for Max to stay in front of Lewis.
Disappointing race for Ferrari both cars.

Yeah, great Racing and what a call from the strategy Guy...wow. The Merc is a well oiled machine....Lewis, -15 Sec with 10 laps to go, and reeled in the RB at such a fast rate.

I must say that Max, is driving like a mature person now...yet he is only 21!...Also hats off to Honda.

Bram

Funny how Bottas pulled over immediately — on the very first hint of a blue flag — to let Verstappen through.

I think the Merc had the overall speed to pass RB on equal tires as well. It was only a matter of time. But diving in for a second set made for some interesting racing!
Well, Lewis himself said after the race that he would NOT have overtaken Max on the same strategy/tires. That's why they did a second stop, with near to no risk as they far ahead of all others. With a bit of luck it worked as Max's tires gave in. The second stop also had the effect that Max was not able to save his tires to the end. The other question is if Max did a second stop before Lewis would Max be able to win the race? Maybe yes, maybe no. Hungary is a track position race, it would have been very high risk.

My other guess is that Merc pushed Lewis's engine to the limit to get Max. Lewis talked of qualifying laps.

Next race, Honda will bring an updated engine and in Singapur a new fuel formula. Both are guessed to add 25 hp. AND: we've seen no engine failure so far in 2019.

I believe that is Lewis Hamilton being tactful and (possibly) political. I guess we will never know.

I would say he was....Max had no chance of winning the race, Lewis was just too fast. to make up a 20 secs in about 12 Laps, just show the speed Lewis had over the RB, event with a tire advantage.

I too I'm glad to see Honda showing their Engineering development power, and I'm sure they will be challenging for Wins in the coming races. However, Merc have shown in the past years, that after the Summer break they come back very strong.

Bram

They are not allowed to work in the Summer break in the factory. They HAVE to do holidays. So Merc might be cheating? :D

Gasly out Albon in lets see if they can get two Honda engines running in the front mix for the second half of the season

I think it is too early for Albon to step up to the parent team, but hope that he acquits himself better than the rash / unlucky / impetuous / impulsive / ill-fated Gasly. Team boss Christian Horner is determined to get the Red Bull team score higher than Ferrari in the Constructors championship - this may be his best chance - and should also bring Toro Rosso above McLaren & Renault - so a win-win for the Austrians.

It was a decision against Gasly, not an explicit decision for Albon and not for 2020 either (Gasly is out for 2020 for sure but Kwjat also has a chance). They simply didn't see any sense in letting Gasly drive to the end of 2019. Hamilton wants 'GP2-winner' Alonso back in F1 but that will never be in a Honda-powered car.
RB lacks of top drivers since Ricciardo surprisingly went to Renault while Merc and F have full choice. It was a little bit too early for Gasly to drive for RB but they had no better choice. Gasly was not aggressive enough, esp. while overtaking (in contrast to Verstappen at the beginning in his F1 career). Too much bad luck for Gasly too. They won't put pressure on Albon til the end of the season but they really have to recruit some future top-drivers.

Perhaps, that is true....But Albon, have been great this year, and remember he was a last minute call you for TR.
I believe, that Alex will hold is own against Max.

Bram

Gasly has been great too last year but also lacked a little bit of killer instinct while overtaking.

Verstappen is a jewel and very hard to beat for a newcomer and also one of the reasons Riccardo left RB. Even Riccardo was 0.3 sec. behind Verstappen. Hamilton is on par with Verstappen and maybe the retired Spanish GP2-driver (what was his name? :D).

Last edited:
the only mistake rb made was thinking that max had no chance to fight lewis on new tires when hamo got his yellows...but lewis had the measure of max the whole race

btw whats the over/under on VB driving for Merc next year

Back