• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

There's a rat in my NSX, what am I gonna do?

This happened to my friend's GMC Typhoon.

It made me and 5 other dudes scream and run for it since we were looking for the latch and had our heads just at hood level and not even a foot away.

As u can imagine no one expected that 2 LARGE rats were going to be waiting for us in their 2 nests made of natural fiber and some rags.

Right when the hood opened up the rats ran towards us. My buddy that owns the Typhoon screamed like a girl and dropped the hood and we all ran into each other like cartoons trying to get away.

The girls were laughing.

He was able to start the Typhoon with no problems and drive it.

LOL :biggrin:

nuke the site from orbit.

shouldnt be any more rats or anything for that matter

maybe not such a good idea. LOL

Two winters ago I had what I think was a mouse get inside the car and get comfy. Lots of junk under the passenger seat. I cleaned everything up and used the Bounce dryer sheets last year. Doesn't seem to have come back but there is still a faint lingering smell after 2 years and multiple cleanings with multiple products.

Fortunately no damage. I did read that it is better to not have a cover on, because they like darker places. I don't know if that's true but once I'm not using that garage much (all summer toys) I take the covers off the cars for the winter. Probably better for humidity and temperature swings as well.

Wow, everyone has a rat story, so here's mine:

I came back from a track weekend and I lent my Integra to a tuner who wanted to dyno different intake designs. When he opened my stock airbox, there was a rat stuck to the air filter, body molded to the corrugations of the filter element! Dried juices were pooled on the bottom of the airbox. We extracted it with a pair of pliers. Since I had never seen rats where I lived, my theory is that the rat went into the intake when the car was parked, maybe at the hotel. The ITR's intake tract is U-shaped, so it would have taken some climbing, then climbing through the resonator, back uphill and into the airbox. After two solid days of 8000+ rpm track use, it was dead and desiccated mouse jerky.

Wow, everyone has a rat story, so here's mine:

I came back from a track weekend and I lent my Integra to a tuner who wanted to dyno different intake designs. When he opened my stock airbox, there was a rat stuck to the air filter, body molded to the corrugations of the filter element! Dried juices were pooled on the bottom of the airbox. We extracted it with a pair of pliers. Since I had never seen rats where I lived, my theory is that the rat went into the intake when the car was parked, maybe at the hotel. The ITR's intake tract is U-shaped, so it would have taken some climbing, then climbing through the resonator, back uphill and into the airbox. After two solid days of 8000+ rpm track use, it was dead and desiccated mouse jerky.

Awesome account of biggy rat. This thread continues to entertain. Others?

:smile:

I was driving home from work one day in my TL when my check engine light came on. I dropped it off at the dealership and they found 2 rats hanging out in the engine bay when they opened the hood. They had chewed through some of the engine wiring which is what caused the CEL. It cost me $400 to get it fixed. I ended up getting that rataway stuff and spraying it around in there. I don't know if it really helped but it hasn't happened again.

I was driving home from work one day in my TL when my check engine light came on. I dropped it off at the dealership and they found 2 rats hanging out in the engine bay when they opened the hood. They had chewed through some of the engine wiring which is what caused the CEL. It cost me $400 to get it fixed. I ended up getting that rataway stuff and spraying it around in there. I don't know if it really helped but it hasn't happened again.

Did u get insurance to pay for it?

I'm not sure about rats but mice love getting into the tubes in hvac systems. We are in a rural area and my shop is one of the only ones who will handle "mouse cars" so we do quite a few of them. It can get very expensive to remove the dash to get at the heating/ventilation system. Quite often we will find a big nest in the blower motor complete with a couple of dead babies. We did a BMW 3 series not long ago to the tune of about $2,000, paid by insurance. We do Honda product all the time. If you keep your pet food in the same garage as your car and there are mice around they will find places in your car to store the pet food so if you are seeing dog kibbles disappear for no reason it is probably in one of your vehicles. We had one towed in for a no start and found the air cleaner box stuffed full of dog food choking off the air supply to the engine. Lots of chewed wiring stories as well.

If you think there may be vermin around your car then you need to take quick and in depth action to get rid of them as the clean up can be very expensive and the smell can be extremely hard to get rid of.

If you suspect that they might be deer mice don't forget to wear some kind of respiratory mask due to the risk of hantavirus, can be deadly!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus

Peter

Last edited:
When I was a kid my dad used to have this huge 15 seater Ford Econoline Van.

He stores it in the garage and after months of storage he decided to fire it up.

Something big and furry flew outta the exhaust into some stuff and scurried away.

Nuts and seeds also flew out. Then for the next hour or so it smelled like roasting meat and nuts from the exhaust.....

When I thought that I had nothing to contribute, I went into the garage to look at my NSX and damn, rat droppings all around under the hood. I got out the old rat traps and some peanut butter and waited. It only took one day and I took out one, but as it has been stated here where there is one there could be 20. I caught his running buddy yesterday. Something tells me that I may run out of peanut butter before I run out of rodents. How much is a stray cat? My grandparents keep them in their barn and they were pretty good at catching them on a regular basis. Need to go through the NSX now to see if they chewed on anything important.

I dug around and found a few old pics in my service managers computer that were taken for insurance claims.

mouse1.jpg

In the blower motor dead. Can you imagine the smell when you fire up the heater in fall?

mouse2.jpg

Just laying under the carpet.

He also reminded me another one where the mice were storing dog kibbles in the air box but in that case they had also eaten right thru the air cleaner element allowing dog food and who knows what else right thru the intake system. The car was towed in for no start. After cleaning the air box the car still would not run, had a bent valve. True story.

Last month we had one towed in with the throttle sticking. Same story, air cleaner chewed thru and all sorts of garbage stuck in throttle body.

Again, get rid of those critters.

Peter

Last edited:
My daughter had a rat problem with her daily driver that was parked in the street. The rat chewed up a significant portion of wiring that needed to be replaced. We nicknamed her car the "Ratmobile".

Besides all the other helpful hints, another thing to watch out for is rodent urine. Its very acidic and can eat through metal. A neighbor had mice nest on the frame of his '64 'vette, and the urine ate through the frame. If you see any signs of urine on metal surfaces, clean it up thoroughly. I'd even neutralize it with a mild solution of baking soda.

Have your garage tented for termites. The gas they use will kill everything moving. That's why they have to use remote cameras and monitor for 24 hours to keep anybody from going in. :eek: I've also used the electric traps with great pleasure. My son says he could hear it screaming for mercy. It also cuts a little bald spot on the back of their heads to place the electodes. :rolleyes:

John

When I thought that I had nothing to contribute, I went into the garage to look at my NSX and damn, rat droppings all around under the hood. I got out the old rat traps and some peanut butter and waited. It only took one day and I took out one, but as it has been stated here where there is one there could be 20. I caught his running buddy yesterday. Something tells me that I may run out of peanut butter before I run out of rodents. How much is a stray cat? My grandparents keep them in their barn and they were pretty good at catching them on a regular basis. Need to go through the NSX now to see if they chewed on anything important.

Adopt a cat. They're pretty cheap, maybe like $50 for the donation fee's or check on craigslist for a cat that's lived outside that people are donating.

Stephen

Ok, I just lost my dinner!:eek: Yuck! I had a rat camp out in my garage 2 winters ago. That was one big MoFo. Got rid of it with Professional Sticky traps. It was so disgusting. Needless to say, I wanted to scream like a little girl when I saw how big that sucka was!!! :eek: Glad it did not get in my cars. I will make sure to to add more ultrasonic pest repellers to my garage. I guess it couldn't hurt. Maybe you should try the ultrasonic pest repeller as a deterrent.

Ok, I just lost my dinner!:eek: Yuck! I had a rat camp out in my garage 2 winters ago. That was one big MoFo. Got rid of it with Professional Sticky traps. It was so disgusting. Needless to say, I wanted to scream like a little girl when I saw how big that sucka was!!! :eek: Glad it did not get in my cars. I will make sure to to add more ultrasonic pest repellers to my garage. I guess it couldn't hurt. Maybe you should try the ultrasonic pest repeller as a deterrent.

Well Jeez, you've been on Prime for many years now and silent and you now want to lose your dinner? :biggrin:

God i love this post. I love the fact that most ppl are in the same boat as i am.

I found a RAT in the engine bay of my Tacoma. Droppings, nuts, leaves, everywhere.

I turned my engine on in the morning and i heard this LOUD clack clack and it turns out, the nuts they stored in my engine bay-the fan clutch hit it and was spraying it everywhere like BB's.

Anyways, my question is to any pro's out there with the experience:
1) Peanut Butter and a Mouse Trap - Do they smell the oil from the peanut butter or do i need a fan to waft the smell of it throughout the location?
2) Electric Traps on Amazon - Do these work as well as they say they do? I heard the biggest complaint is that the battery tends to die after 2 kills.

1) Peanut Butter and a Mouse Trap - Do they smell the oil from the peanut butter or do i need a fan to waft the smell of it throughout the location?
2) Electric Traps on Amazon - Do these work as well as they say they do? I heard the biggest complaint is that the battery tends to die after 2 kills.
No experience with electric traps, but I gave up on peanut butter
on the Victor traps after I've had rodents lick the trap clean
without triggering it. I use a raisin or a piece of a date for
bait now, hooked under the serrated edge on the trigger piece.
Works better. You don't need a fan in any case.

If you have rats you want a rat trap, same design as mousetrap but scaled up.

Last edited:
Last winter, I started my snowmobile and it was running fine. It then started to sputter and almost died. My wife was following me and noticed that I was shooting popcorn out the exhaust which was when the motor was sputtering. Apparently, the exhaust got hot enough to pop the corn which then started to plug the exhaust. It cleared out as I floored the snowmobile at which point it was shooting out the exhaust at my wife.

I had good results with the electric traps. At least 10 kills and no signs of slowing, on the same set of batteries. I've eventually moved to a rodent free zone, so I have had no reasons to continue using it.

WalMart stocks bait-less mouse traps. They look like traditional mouse traps (wood base, metal killer) but have a yellow plastic trigger thing. The yellow is impregnated with an attractant. Seem to work well for the rare mouse that wanders into the garage in search of food (use garage shelving as overflow pantry).

My wife was following me and noticed that I was shooting popcorn out the exhaust which was when the motor was sputtering. Apparently, the exhaust got hot enough to pop the corn which then started to plug the exhaust. It cleared out as I floored the snowmobile at which point it was shooting out the exhaust at my wife.

Thats very funny and an interesting use of a snowmobile/popcorn maker
gonna have to try that on my MX bike

Back