• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

This month's Classic & Sports Car Magazine

I hope this is not a repost, but I just picked this up from the local bookstore:

wetoddimage.wtdr

wetoddimage.wtdr

wetoddimage.wtdr

wetoddimage.wtdr

Thought some of you guys might be interested :smile:

Thats great! I would like to read that. I can't believe they would even compare a 308 to a NSX though. Having driven both, there is no comparison.

Same here, I wish I could read the comparison. Also, IMHO, I've ridden in a 308 and there's no comparison. The NSX is superior in almost every respect. Could you scan those pages?

NSX-Tuner said:
Same here, I wish I could read the comparison. Also, IMHO, I've ridden in a 308 and there's no comparison. The NSX is superior in almost every respect. Could you scan those pages?

Sorry fellas, I don't have a scanner handy to scan the pages for you, otherwise I would. I can only suggest to drop by a Barnes and Nobles and check out the magazine rack :biggrin:

I can make out where it says "Both cars do 0-60 in a tick under 6 seconds". They must not know how to drive the NSX!

For some reason, those NSX pix make the car really dated. Throw some big wheels on there, swap the exhaust and match the roof color and the car would look much nicer IMO.

Comparo's...

hmmm... Often the auto magazines use "price" as the common denominator when comparing various cars that are not available anymore (or are 'used').

I'm sure that was the pretense of the comparison of the Ferrari 308 vs. Acura NSX... early models of the NSX are $25-30k, right in the ballpark of the Ferrari 308.

I've seen in TopGear magazine the Honda NSX finishing #3 for "best supercar buy" for 25,000GBP or under. It was compared on the list to Lotus Esprit, Ferrari 328, 964 911 Turbo, Rolls Royce Silver Spur, Mercedes Benz 600SL, Lamborghini Miura, etc.

A Classic Cars magazine I picked up recently had winners & others to consider for 5 categories: 10,000GBP (Lotus Esprit S2), 20,000GB (Ferrari 308), 30,000GBP (Porsche 964 911 turbo), 40,000GBP (Aston Martin DB6), 50,000GBP (Lamborghini Countach). Other notables in each category had anything from TVR and BMW 850ci to Audi A8l.

Of-course the 91-96 NSX would be better head-to-head w/ a Ferrari 348, and the 97+ possibly w/ the Ferrari 355.

Really, it should have been the 355, the only one mentioned so far that can actually hang with and/or surpass an NSX . . .

The only reason they compare the NSX to the 308 is price, which should end the discussion.

I love those British rags, primarily for the classifieds. I have an issue from a few months ago that mentioned this comparison was coming, and I didn't have to read the article. I've seen NSX mention before, and it was always the same. The car was dynamically perfect and an amazing value but it is Japanese and reliable, so they thought that meant it was not an emotional object . . .

They can't get their heads around the beauty of the NSX. They deny the soul and heritage of a car that is so much more than the 308 or the other third tier (the so-called 'bread and butter cars') Ferraris that didn't become worthwhile until the 355 IMO. The earlier cars don't interest me as a supercar, and frankly, uttering supercar and the 308 in the same sentence is amusing. I don't call the NSX a supercar, either. In 1991 it was at least in that realm, but not much beyond that. It is still an exotic sports car, but not a supercar.

The NSX is light years ahead of the 308, despite how nice the 308 exhaust sounds and the cachet of the prancing horse.

Obviously, anyone can have a legitimate desire for a 308 over anything, including an NSX, but desire is a different matter.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Last Christmas my wife bought me an NSX book that was a aggregation of many past articles and comparo tests from '90 through about 2002. It is a great book. It came from Speednation (www.speednation.com) or 412-882-3100. I read it cover to cover and I think I recall it had this article too. I'd check the specifics but my friend (fellow NSX owner) has it now. It was $17.95 and very well worth it.

They also have other special interest books for Porsches, Datsun Z cars, and others. I just remember those two because I have those cars too.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

Wonder why I love my wife? :smile:

I just read this article and, just having replaced a 308QV with an NSX, I can say that the writer had blinders on in this comparison. He was definitely biased toward the Ferrari and, although 308's are great cars in many respects, the performance comparison was way off. I have a Car and Driver road test comparison from 1991 wherein the NSX beat out a Ferrari 348 ( 2 generations past the 308) on every measure , including 0--60 and 1/4 mile stats, except for top speed. On this last measure, the Ferrari's top speed was only about 3-4 mph higher than the NSX. I might add that a Ferrari 348 will walk away from a 308. Anyway, this article did not give an accurate comparison of these two cars IMO.

performance data...

hmmm... All of the car magazines I have read here in the UK seem to have much different performance values for the NSX.

4 or 5 of the car magz* I read have the 0-60 for the 5spd AND 6spd 5.7seconds and auto. at 7.6seconds. I am not sure if it's due to different emissions, etc; or maybe they just don't like the NSX (I think the latter, personally).

*TopGear, EVO, CAR, AutomobileWeekly

Re: performance data...

Osiris_x11 said:
hmmm... All of the car magazines I have read here in the UK seem to have much different performance values for the NSX.

4 or 5 of the car magz* I read have the 0-60 for the 5spd AND 6spd 5.7seconds and auto. at 7.6seconds. I am not sure if it's due to different emissions, etc; or maybe they just don't like the NSX (I think the latter, personally).

*TopGear, EVO, CAR, AutomobileWeekly

EVO's 2002 Car of the Year was the NSX-R. So, I don't think they have anything against the NSX.

I picked up the magazine and was pleasantly surprised by the good things they said about the NSX. When you read a UK based auto magazine, you should be aware of 2 dominating facts: 1) Ferrari cars are just short of divinity 2) God couldn't have made a better car than Ferrari. The Ferrari Red colored glasses those editors look through make for interesting but predictable reading.

So going into the article, I figured that no matter how good the NSX was it would still lose in this "vs. Ferrari" test. And it did. And the NSX was an auto.

I think the NSX, even with the early model 5 spoke wheels, still looked decent vs. the Ferrari. And the 308/288/328 body style is a classic!

Back