• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thought my battery is dead...

Hey all,

I went to Asia for about 3 weeks and when I came back my baby barely started so I took her out for a drive and parked and drove home with no problems...

We had some rain in the past 2 weeks so I let her sit in the garage during that time, when I tried to start her up again this week she would not start at all...

At first I thought my battery must have died due to inactivity.

To prevent this from happening again I bought a battery tender but to my surprise when I hooked it up just now the lights were telling me that my battery is more than 80% full...

Hoping that this is a mistake... and I will try to start her up once I get a full charge out on the battery...

If its not the battery what else might it be?

Just a worried owner at this point and hope to get some feedback...

Thanks in advanced...

Normal for NSXs. Mine died too when left inactive for around the same time frame. You have to put it on a tender if you know you won't be driving it for a while. If you have an aftermarket alarm it is likely contributing to it. I think this is an issue for all year models as mine is an 03. I live in TO so it gets parked for 5 months of the year due to Winter weather etc... This year I pulled the battery out.

Im having that same problem right now. Just tried to start the car and it was dead enough that my interior lights go off when i push the brake. I think my battery is worn out. I have a battery tender but it hasnt been plugged in for a week or so. I've had the car 5 years and have never replaced the battery.

A Battery tender wont recharge a completely drained battery. At least mine says it won't which I have verified ;)

Yes, it's normal for the NSX to drain a battery in two weeks.

A battery that's been drained may or may not be okay once you re-charge it. You can have your battery tested (by a mechanic or at an auto parts store) to see if it's okay. If it is, you're good; otherwise you will need to replace it.

So it turns out my battery terminals were extremely corroded after sitting all winter. I went to disconnect the battery and realized it. Got it all cleaned up and the car fired right up no problem.

Check connections on the battery and starter also the grounds for looseness and corrosion. Check battery for proper voltage also. If battery is charged well and it wont crank i would have the battery load checked. If load checked bad, replace battery. If good starter may be binding up or something Edit: I bought my car with a battery that turned to junk after a few months(held 12V but had no load ability) replaced it with one i had laying around that after a few months dropped a cell and would only hold 10 Volts(it was pretty old), i finally stopped being cheap and bought a new battery and it has been GTG ever sense. Possibly look into a Quick disconnect for your battery Neg terminal as draining and charging the battery up and down often will shorten it's life. Just keep in mind that disconnecting the battery obviously turns off the security system which may concern you but works for me as my car lives in a rural Podunk good boy town.

Last edited:
Back