• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing Belt Change?

I have a 1991 with 70,000 miles and I just changed mine for the first time. The mechanic who worked on it said the belt looked fine. I think in the manual it tells you to change it every 60,000miles or 6 years. I would play it safe and change it every 6 years because the belt is rubber. Just my opinion.

Good Luck.

The service schedule for a 1991 - 1996 NSX specifies replacing the timing belt at 6 years or 90,000 miles, whichever comes first. This is in your owners manual.

As with any maintenance item, whether you follow the manufacturer's service schedule or not is up to you.

The manual tells you to change it every 90,000 miles or six years, whichever comes first. That's for the '91-96 NSX. (For the '97+, it says every 105,000 miles or seven years, whichever comes first.)

Has anyone gotten into trouble with the T-belt snapping on you when you are suppose to change it after 6 years but you didn't? I have a 93 here with less than 30k miles and original T-belt/water pump and what not. What are the chances here? I'm not gambling on the car but just want to know what happened out there.

John Vasos (service manager of Acura of Brookfield, a dealer that does more NSX service work than any other dealer in the Midwest) has said that there's a concern because the weep hole for the water pump is right over the timing belt. This could cause coolant to leak on the belt, causing the belt to deteriorate. When you change the timing belt and water pump, you will find that they changed the design to extend the weep hole out away from the timing belt.

Back