• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Top 10 Reasons California Is Better Than Texas

When it comes to big states, there can only be one king (sorry, New York). The real competition comes down to California vs. Texas -- a battle of red vs. blue, good vs. evil, surfboards vs. 10-gallon hats, avocados vs. Texas toast.

Texas sucks. California is king. Here are 10 reasons to prove it.

No. 10 -- People Want to Come Here

Would you rather see the Golden Gate Bridge or the Alamo? How about Hollywood or the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum? The San Diego Zoo or the Fort Worth Zoo? People don't really visit Texas. You can only go to Cowboys Stadium so many times.

Come to California and see Yosemite, Fisherman's Wharf, Wine Country, Lake Tahoe, Disneyland, Joshua Tree, Alcatraz, the Gaslamp Quarter and Sequoia National Park.

In the mood to see it all, hop in the car and take the Pacific Coast Highway in any direction.

No. 9 -- Big States Don't Cry

When political life gets tough, we call emergency legislative sessions. We make tough cuts. If things are going south, we hold a recall election. Make fun of budget woes if you must, but we'll get through it -- and we'll do it with dignity.

When things get tough in Texas, Gov. Rick Perry throws a hissy fit and threatens to secede from the United States.

Grow up, Texas. Plus, Perry's just crying wolf.

No. 8 -- Our Waistlines Are Under Control

Everything in Texas is bigger -- including Texans.

When it comes to 2008 state obesity rates, Texas scored a 28.3. California scored 23.7.

Dear Texas, call us when your pants fit.

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach

Texas has a few beaches, sure. (We know, we know, 600 miles of shoreline.) But there's a reason we're famous for ours and they're not famous for theirs. The California coastline is host to the most beautiful beaches in the country. Dare we say it -- the world.

Plus, our best beaches are generally a short drive from where people actually live (think La Jolla, Malibu, Santa Barbara, Half Moon Bay). Texas' biggest claim to beach fame is probably South Padre Island, and while it is admittedly quite lovely, it's also a major spring break destination (yuck) and really difficult to get to.

No. 6 -- World's Toughest Governor

Despite Texas being the land of unadulterated machismo, our governor can beat up your governor. So, there.

No. 5 -- We Have Options

Californians have options. Getting bored of San Diego? Drive an hour and try Mexico. Got a case of the Sacramento blues, you're just moments away from Lake Tahoe.

Los Angeles not doing it for you? Within an hour's drive, Angelenos can hit mountains, the Pacific, or perhaps the desert. Not in the mood for those options? Extend your driving time and make a break for Vegas.

Oh, sweet Vegas. Seriously, Texas. Our neighbor is Las Vegas. Your neighbor: Oklahoma.

No. 4 -- Plenty of Eye Candy

Texans have gun racks. We've got guns. And racks.

We're hot, we know it and just in case, there are enough plastic surgeons here for every Californian to look gorgeous.

And if cosmetic surgery isn't your thing -- don't worry -- we have plenty of therapists too.

No. 3 -- We Actually Invent Stuff

Yes, Texas is enticing businesses away from California to its land of fewer tax headaches, but send us a telegram when Texas invents something.

Sure, it makes financial sense to set up shop in Texas, but the Lone Star State will always live in our innovation shadow. Google can put its headquarters anywhere in the world -- they put it in California. Apple, HP, Twitter, Intel, YouTube, MySpace, the Gap, eBay, Facebook, Levis -- companies that actually changed the way the world does business are in California.

We may not cut the best tax deals, but we have a lock on creativity.

We make movies, music, theatre and television. Hell, we invented blue jeans.

No. 2 -- It's All About the Weather

Texas wins! But only in the number of tornadoes, with an average of about 140 per year. Words like "Mediterranean" and "I can't believe it's January" are used to describe California weather. If you like cold, we have mountains for that, too. Arid, humid and "I miss California" are terms often used to describe Texas' weather.

No. 1 -- California Isn't Home to George W. Bush

We gave the world Ronald Reagan, and you gave us George W. Bush.

Worst. Trade. Ever.

Despite our pretty convincing case, Texas doesn't seem to agree. Check out the Lone Star State's arguments for supremacy on NBCDFW.com.

Last edited:
When it comes to big states, there can only be one king (sorry, New York). The real competition comes down to California vs. Texas -- a battle of red vs. blue, good vs. evil, surfboards vs. 10-gallon hats, avocados vs. Texas toast.

Texas sucks. California is king. Here are 10 reasons to prove it.

Would you rather see the Golden Gate Bridge or the Alamo? How about Hollywood or the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum? The San Diego Zoo or the Fort Worth Zoo? People don't really visit Texas. You can only go to Cowboys Stadium so many times.

Come to California and see Yosemite, Fisherman's Wharf, Wine Country, Lake Tahoe, Disneyland, Joshua Tree, Alcatraz, the Gaslamp Quarter and Sequoia National Park.

In the mood to see it all, hop in the car and take the Pacific Coast Highway in any direction.

When political life gets tough, we call emergency legislative sessions. We make tough cuts. If things are going south, we hold a recall election. Make fun of budget woes if you must, but we'll get through it -- and we'll do it with dignity.

When things get tough in Texas, Gov. Rick Perry throws a hissy fit and threatens to secede from the United States.

When it comes to 2008 state obesity rates, Texas scored a 28.3. California scored 23.7.

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach

Texas has a few beaches, sure. (We know, we know, 600 miles of shoreline.) But there's a reason we're famous for ours and they're not famous for theirs. The California coastline is host to the most beautiful beaches in the country. Dare we say it -- the world.

Plus, our best beaches are generally a short drive from where people actually live (think La Jolla, Malibu, Santa Barbara, Half Moon Bay). Texas' biggest claim to beach fame is probably South Padre Island, and while it is admittedly quite lovely, it's also a major spring break destination (yuck) and really difficult to get to.

Despite Texas being the land of unadulterated machismo, our governor can beat up your governor. So, there.

No. 5 -- We Have Options

Californians have options. Getting bored of San Diego? Drive an hour and try Mexico. Got a case of the Sacramento blues, you're just moments away from Lake Tahoe.

Los Angeles not doing it for you? Within an hour's drive, Angelenos can hit mountains, the Pacific, or perhaps the desert. Not in the mood for those options? Extend your driving time and make a break for Vegas.

Oh, sweet Vegas. Seriously, Texas. Our neighbor is Las Vegas. Your neighbor: Oklahoma.

We're hot, we know it and just in case, there are enough plastic surgeons here for every Californian to look gorgeous.

And if cosmetic surgery isn't your thing -- don't worry -- we have plenty of therapists too.

Yes, Texas is enticing businesses away from California to its land of fewer tax headaches, but send us a telegram when Texas invents something.

Sure, it makes financial sense to set up shop in Texas, but the Lone Star State will always live in our innovation shadow. Google can put its headquarters anywhere in the world -- they put it in California. Apple, HP, Twitter, Intel, YouTube, MySpace, the Gap, eBay, Facebook, Levis -- companies that actually changed the way the world does business are in California.

Texas wins! But only in the number of tornadoes, with an average of about 140 per year. Words like "Mediterranean" and "I can't believe it's January" are used to describe California weather. If you like cold, we have mountains for that, too. Arid, humid and "I miss California" are terms often used to describe Texas' weather.

Worst. Trade. Ever.

Despite our pretty convincing case, Texas doesn't seem to agree. Check out the Lone Star State's arguments for supremacy on NBCDFW.com.

I seriously love home (SoCal) and miss it every day I am stuck here in miami for grad school. Miami (in general FL) has nothin on LA, SD or SF. Long live California.

I grew up in southern california. There's a lot to like about it but I'm glad I'm gone.

And counter to what your list said, you can drive an hour in any direction from LA and still be in LA. I like the open roads out in the desert here. You can drive an hour in any direction from Santa Fe and be 80 miles away legally, in the mountains, on the river, in the white sand desert, on a historic pueblo . . .

Sure no beach, and I really miss that, but I'll take being able to go to an excellent restaurant on a whim on Saturday night and not have to wait 2 hours for a table.

I grew up in southern california. There's a lot to like about it but I'm glad I'm gone.

And counter to what your list said, you can drive an hour in any direction from LA and still be in LA. I like the open roads out in the desert here. You can drive an hour in any direction from Santa Fe and be 80 miles away legally, in the mountains, on the river, in the white sand desert, on a historic pueblo . . .

Sure no beach, and I really miss that, but I'll take being able to go to an excellent restaurant on a whim on Saturday night and not have to wait 2 hours for a table.

When I go to great restaurants, I like to know others are there with me enjoying the setting as much as I do, not me sitting by myself in an empty restaurant.

Pretty stupid and loaded list if you ask me.

I certainly like both places, however.

We've got guns.

Ever try to buy an AR15 in California? How about a hi-cap pistol? Not saying you don't have guns, just not the good ones.

We Actually Invent Stuff

Ever heard of a company called Texas Instruments? I heard they invented a few things.

Haha, just having a little fun here. I haven't spent much time in either state, but from what I have seen they are both beautiful. Now if you could just fix your politics out there in California.....

Nor cal > So Cal

Top Reason Texas Is Better Than California:

Only people in California feel the need to prove their superiority.

Also on the list-
97% less idiotic laws (made up on the stop, but at least 92% accurate)
Half the price for twice the stuff
Not billions in the hole despite how 'rich' California is
Not home to 8 out of 10 famous ghettos in rap songs

Also on the list-

+1.

California is among 48th ranking in public education while Texas is top 10. LOL

.......Only people in California feel the need to prove their superiority......Half the price for twice the stuff

Other stuff from Cali:

Star Trek
Star Wars

Are you referring to real estate?

The ones are my 'hood is something you can sell and retire in TX.

Not the other way around.

If most of the NSX home owners that got in the real estate earlier than 2000 and sold their homes now, then the supply of NSX would go up and supply of Lambo and Ferrari would drop.....

Are you referring to real estate?

The ones are my 'hood is something you can sell and retire in TX.

Not the other way around.

I don't think I suggested it any different. I'd say that's a negative for California, it takes a multiple of your income/wealth to achieve the same objective as it does here (whatever housing you find adequate). Not that I'm saying incomes, weather, or celebrity density is equal in Texas.

I don't think I suggested it any different. I'd say that's a negative for California, it takes a multiple of your income/wealth to achieve the same objective as it does here (whatever housing you find adequate). Not that I'm saying incomes, weather, or celebrity density is equal in Texas.

There is a COLA for the area in salary and stock options......

Nor cal < So Cal
Fickst.

Also on the list-

If you think California has idiotic laws, lets go over some of the silly ones of TX:

It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

Up to a felony charge can be levied for promoting the use of, or owning more than six dildos.

It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.

It is illegal to milk another person's cow.

A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.

Homosexual behavior is a misdemeanor offense.

The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer
at home.

It is illegal to idle or loiter anyplace within the corporate limits of the city for the purpose of flirting or mashing. (Abilene )

Wire cutters can not be carried in your pocket. (Austin )

Collegiate football is banned at Lamar University. (Beaumont )

It is against the law to throw confetti, rubber balls, feather dusters, whips or quirts (riding crop), and explosive firecrackers of any kind. (Borger )

It is illegal to dust any public building with a feather duster. (Clarendon )

It's illegal to possess realistic dildos. (Dallas )

As for our real estate, it will bounce back but the main reason for it being so expensive is the high demand. There really isnt a demand for homes where your next door neighbor is 20 miles away.

Oh and the rap songs statement? Really? That might have been true in the mid 90's but most of the songs are now about cities on the east coast or "dirty" south.

More Silly Texas laws:

In Kingsville, Texas there is a law against two pigs having sex on the city's airport property.

No one other than a "registered pharmacist" may sell condoms or other kinds of contraceptives "on the streets or other public places." No, not even physicians. Anyone who tries to make a few extra bucks doing this will be severely prosecuted for the dire act of "unlawfully practicing medicine."

From a Californian:

Yes we have more to see.

Please our REPS STINKS. BOXER FEINSTEIN, Pelosi are enough to move

OK 5 percent CA wins

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach

Yes we have nice SO CAL beaches. NorCAL ... no.

Look up AB952, GO TEXAS

No. 5 -- We Have Options

Covered in 1

WOW. It is hard to believe you wrote that. We have hand gun restrictions, rifle restrictions, Shotgun restriction, CCW restrictions, ammo restrictions, Magazine restrictions, 50 Cal retsrictions, Private party transfer Restritions,... and HIGHER crime! Plastic is easy to buy.

We do our share.

CA wins

Worst. Trade. Ever.

lame

We have so many restrictions and rules and regs and taxes I can bearly stand it. How about some FREEDOM

1st - THIS THREAD IS STOOPID!! I REPEAT STUPID!!

2nd - The OP NEVAR Fails to amaze me with his idiotic comments and threads!!

Yes,, please everyone go to California..
Stay away from Texas...

Yup... agree Texas inventions are of no value.. like Texas Instruments and the transistor or those hicks down in Houston that "claim" they put a man on the moon!

Yup.. and I just bet that some of that gasoline that's refined in the Houston area probably finds its way to CA and that's why there's all that smog...
AND damn, that tort reform.. what's up with that! Doctors moving in to the state as fast as you can count and lawyers leaving? Insurance rates could go down!

I agree... NO one else should move to Texas. Why there's NO state income tax.. that's not right! and housing is actually affordable.... that's not fair!

I'm sure glad you have Nancy Pelosi, well she'll surely lend the state a few million to save it... wont' she?

Fickst.

If you think California has idiotic laws, lets go over some of the silly ones of TX:

As for our real estate, it will bounce back but the main reason for it being so expensive is the high demand. There really isnt a demand for homes where your next door neighbor is 20 miles away.

Oh and the rap songs statement? Really? That might have been true in the mid 90's but most of the songs are now about cities on the east coast or "dirty" south.

I really like California and just vacationed there twice this summer but the only state more full of itself than Texas is California.

FALSE: Providing selected idiotic laws in Texas proves California has less than Texas.
TRUE: Every state has laws like that, meaning bizarre ones with little impact on current activities of society. I'm referring to the ones that are actually somewhat relevant. If there is national news of dildo makers being arrested in Dallas, that's a different story. I'd rather not have the entire porn industry in my back yard anyhow.

FALSE: Homes in Texas are 20 miles apart.
TRUE: Most Texans live in large urban areas. Texas is home to the same number of cities in the top 10 by population in the U.S. as California and is home to more cities in the top 20 by population than California.

FALSE: I know a lot about current rap songs and made anything more than a humorous generalization meant to be taken seriously.
TRUE: Unless you provide a comprehensive list that will be extremely time consuming to produce, I will stand behind my statement that although Houston is making a name for itself, California is by far where most rappers like to call home and the place they prefer to discuss in their songs (don't underestimate my rap knowledge, although I admit I haven't listened to anything main stream in years except on accident or in clubs).

CONCLUSION: If I was wealthy and already had a vacation home in Colorado, Montana, or Alaska, I'd love to have one in north California alongside the vineyards and coast. However, there is very little rationale to fully compensate for the high taxes, cost of living, and real estate prices in California relative to Texas; and anyone could enjoy both places (I see more obviously gay guys in Austin than I did both times I was in San Francisco FWIW, it's not some religious nut job state as often portrayed, some of that reputation is deserved due to rural networks).

Any state that puts someone like Pelosi in office deserves what they get!

I like to visit California, but it would be the last state I would ever think of living.

Back