• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

top speed

Had little fun with my old S2k... in 2001 on my way to Vegs on I-15

I don't have any piture, but I have done 173 on my 03 NSX when I first acquired it. On fresh OEM tires. I don't dare to do that because I have ES100 on my car right now.

Attachments

• s2k speedo.jpg
    s2k speedo.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
TURBO2GO said:
How come everyone in the high speed pics has their TCS light on?
pix maybe fake... car is sitting on jack stands or on a dyno :biggrin:

TURBO2GO said:
Psychotic... because not only are you going 220, not only are you doing it on a bike, but that you actually have the balls to take a hand off and take a picture at that speed. I'd say you are a fruit loop of the highest order. :biggrin:

Digital camera, suction cup mount on gas tank, electronic interval timer. Ain't technology grand! :)

I was about to comment on that too. Isn't it dangerous to turn off the TCS at that speed?
TURBO2GO said:
How come everyone in the high speed pics has their TCS light on?

Jin1976 said:
I was about to comment on that too. Isn't it dangerous to turn off the TCS at that speed?

Why? Anyone who tracks their NSXs disengages the TCS before they even fasten their seatbelts and secondly, if you've done something stupid enough to expect the TCS to save your ass at 150 MPH, guess what?, it won't. :biggrin:

The TCS system is primarily there to reduce engine speed if it detects wheel slippage on a wet road or other conditions where traction might be marginal. Hopefully if you're taking your car to extreme speeds, you're doing it under dry and clear road conditions.

amgnsx said:
pix maybe fake... car is sitting on jack stands or on a dyno :biggrin:
Well, the NSX published top speed is "drag" limited, which means the stock hp will not allow the car to reach beyond 168 (pre 02) and 175 (post 02). Unless the car is modified to support the speed beyond 168/175. I'm sure it can be done if the conidtion is correct, and it is under such a remarkable condition that the driver is willing to take such a giant risk. If you have taken an NSX over 120mph, you know it sound scary, like the window is about to get sucked out.

Thanks for the info.
Hugh said:
Why? Anyone who tracks their NSXs disengages the TCS before they even fasten their seatbelts and secondly, if you've done something stupid enough to expect the TCS to save your ass at 150 MPH, guess what?, it won't. :biggrin:

The TCS system is primarily there to reduce engine speed if it detects wheel slippage on a wet road or other conditions where traction might be marginal. Hopefully if you're taking your car to extreme speeds, you're doing it under dry and clear road conditions.

Vancehu said:
If you have taken an NSX over 120mph, you know it sound scary, like the window is about to get sucked out.

Have your window alignement checked. My car is a relatively quiet even at speeds approaching 150 MPH.

this thread contains some of the most insane in the membrane folks i've encountered!!! 210 one handed in a BIKE?!?!?!?!? :eek:

I almost pissed my pants the first time i dared to go fast, and i only went 145! Even though it was very stable, it was scary to see things fly by that fast.:frown:

But i think wind conditions, road conditions (uphill, downhill, etc), and outside temp will limit whether or not a top speed above 168/175 can be acheived.

140 MPH at 5-6K rpms on the 60 freeway west in Azusa/ Rowland Heights/Industry stretch :smile: :wink: :biggrin:

FrEsHaZzBuRu said:
210 one handed in a BIKE?!?!?!?!? :eek:

Two hands were on the bars at all times. The photo was taken by a camera with a timer secured to the gas tank with a suction cup mount. The speedo was uncorrected so the actual speed was probably more like 190 or so. It is an unrestricted Busa so it doesn't have that silly 186 MPH top end limit. :)

i need to go on a diet...

This thread just gives an unique feeling... I can't wipe the smirk off my face! :D

Obviously more power would be needed to increase the top-end performance & limit. Weight reduction & exceptional tires (precisely balanced/alligned) would be factors as well.

What aerodynamic devices would also aid the cause? There are: front/rear underbody trays, front-splitters, bumper-cover canards, rear-valance diffusers, decklid spoilers, vented hoods... anything else?

Theoretical 186mph sounds quite impressive to say the leasts! Sure, 167mph is alrite & all, but when many sedans can eclipse that it's not as awe-inspiring. But one thing that can be said about the NSX is that while nearing or just shy of 167mph, it's rock-solid & poised as-if on a slide-track in a college physics lab... :wink:

Re: i need to go on a diet...

Osiris_x11 said:
This thread just gives an unique feeling... I can't wipe the smirk off my face! :D

Obviously more power would be needed to increase the top-end performance & limit. Weight reduction & exceptional tires (precisely balanced/alligned) would be factors as well.

What aerodynamic devices would also aid the cause? There are: front/rear underbody trays, front-splitters, bumper-cover canards, rear-valance diffusers, decklid spoilers, vented hoods... anything else?

Theoretical 186mph sounds quite impressive to say the leasts! Sure, 167mph is alrite & all, but when many sedans can eclipse that it's not as awe-inspiring. But one thing that can be said about the NSX is that while nearing or just shy of 167mph, it's rock-solid & poised as-if on a slide-track in a college physics lab... :wink:

don't forget that a lot of the aero aids you mention are designed to increase downforce and decrease lift adding to stability but many actually add more drag and are detrimental to top speed.

Hugh said:

I think the TCS is irrelavent for a high speed run. And turning it off makes as much sense as asking it to save you at 150. All else being equal, I'd leave it on. Its not going to slow your high speed run at all... thats why I wondered why these pics show them off. Unless its doing something else at the high speeds... :confused:

My window makes a lot of noise at triple digit speeds as well, I took it to the dealer and they said it was "normal" at those speeds :D. I disagree but what can I do..

TURBO2GO said:
I think the TCS is irrelavent for a high speed run. And turning it off makes as much sense as asking it to save you at 150. All else being equal, I'd leave it on. Its not going to slow your high speed run at all... thats why I wondered why these pics show them off. Unless its doing something else at the high speeds... :confused:

I have been told once that with TCS on the car would limit the time you can drive at top speed. Of course, at those speeds, TCS will not do anything for you if things go wrong.

FrEsHaZzBuRu said:
this thread contains some of the most insane in the membrane folks i've encountered!!! 210 one handed in a BIKE?!?!?!?!?
I almost pissed my pants the first time i dared to go fast, and i only went 145! Even though it was very stable, it was scary to see things fly by that fast.

I do not believe that driving very fast is by definition extremely dangerous.
Of course, driving fast always needs your full concentration because small mistakes can have big effects.
Said that however, if you are more or less alone on the highway, the road is dry and in good condition and your car also, I don't see any reason why driving at speeds around 150-160 should be more dangerous than driving 70 on a busy bad road with two-way traffic on a bad weather day.

The most important thing to have (at any speed) in my opinion is what I call 'Reaction Distance'. With that I mean that you have to have the room to react to something happening. In general that means KEEP YOUR DISTANCE.
If you can do that, high speeds are just as safe as lower ones.
You just need more space.

Hugh said:
Have your window alignement checked. My car is a relatively quiet even at speeds approaching 150 MPH.

I own a T, and it is much louder than the coupe

Hugh said:
Two hands were on the bars at all times. The photo was taken by a camera with a timer secured to the gas tank with a suction cup mount. The speedo was uncorrected so the actual speed was probably more like 190 or so. It is an unrestricted Busa so it doesn't have that silly 186 MPH top end limit. :)

yeah, you got balls man.... one of the craziest people i know (including on a bike -guy is nuts) was scared at 155 on his 1000RR.

you definitely win. your busa stock? i've seen some vids of the turbo ones doin like 240 - somehow i can't imagine you stopping if yours would go faster :wink:

Synthesis said:
you definitely win. your busa stock? i've seen some vids of the turbo ones doin like 240 - somehow i can't imagine you stopping if yours would go faster :wink:

It's got a few mods but no forced induction. The video of the turbo Busa wheelieing its way up to the 240 region is my friend Kevin who installs velocity racing turbo kits on them here in South Florida. There's something about 500 or 600 HP on a 500 lound vehicle that keeps sending a "no don't do it" message to my subconcious. :) A stock Busa is plenty fast for me.

Vancehu said:
Well, the NSX published top speed is "drag" limited, which means the stock hp will not allow the car to reach beyond 168 (pre 02) and 175 (post 02). Unless the car is modified to support the speed beyond 168/175. I'm sure it can be done if the conidtion is correct, and it is under such a remarkable condition that the driver is willing to take such a giant risk. If you have taken an NSX over 120mph, you know it sound scary, like the window is about to get sucked out.

ok...i think i once said here on prime about my NSX speeds...but here it goes...

Here in Portugal ... on 3 different NSXs, near to stock, the speed was limited to 280km/h (175mp/h), not due to drag, but due to TCS... what i mean is that with the TCS on, the speed cannot go more than 280km/h.

if you press the off button for the TCS, you have a green light that tells you that it is off, when you get to 280km/h, a yellow TCS light will appear and the speed continues to rise...

at a straight, my car pulls well to 290km/h... and it takes some time to hit 300km/h ... in this photo it even pass the little 300 marks ... this on a straight road... and it's not my car...it is a friends 94 one

here it is a video of the same NSX in the same place doing the same thing on the same night :tongue: :tongue:

my NSX has no cats, have a CF cantrell scoop and a K&N tablet air filter in stock intake box... it's lowered by 2cm, almost an inch, with D2 coilovers, awesome by the way ;).

i already ended my 5th gear cutted off, at 8100rpms on the tach, and the needle was on the 320 mark would be... by GPS, was a 305km/h

you can flame me, this are very high speeds... we know the risks but we minimize them by choosing the best hour of almost no traffic and the tarmac is perfect, 3 or 4 lanes wide on 10+kms straights....

i'll try to make 2 videos of the behavior of the TCS for you guys to see it...
one with TCS on and the speed won't pass 280 / 285
the other with the TCS off and you'll see where it goes...

Is there a gear ratio available/tire combo that would allow an NSX to reach the magic 200mph barrier? Estimates of the amount of HP it would take?

Hey, if a guy can hit 198 on an old Indian motorcycle...

Are any of the people who have attempted top speed runs using ducted hoods? Seems like this is one mod that would have a huge effect on reducing lift/increasing stability at high speeds.

Speaking of hoods, I seem to remember in one of the auto mags a while back when they were performing top speed runs, they had a lot of problems with stock hoods lifting up and bowing from air pressure under the hoods. Anyone experience any hood lifting?

i hit an indicated 160mph in my 05 on the "wade" bridge on I81 just north of Harrisburg. I was heading east which is slightly downhill, but my car seemed to not want to go any faster once I hit 160mph. Like someone else, it sounded like my windows were going to get sucked out.

My S2000 actually hit an indicated 162mph on this same exact spot....

S2000> NSX. :biggrin: :eek:

Speaking of windows getting sucked out... my passenger window starts to whistle at 90 mph. Anything above that and you'd think the space shuttle was losing cabin pressure. Anything I can do to fix that?

Back