• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Turbo Magazine Hails Godfather of Hi-Boost NSX

TurboNSX said:
I run mine at 100% all the time, boost set at 18 psi, I also use a Blitz controller and not an Apexi.

Man, where the heck have you been?
I stand corrected. Brian runs his at 100%. :smile:

TurboNSX said:
I run mine at 100% all the time, boost set at 18 psi, I also use a Blitz controller and not an Apexi.

Are getting a sizeable boost spike at that setting? Sounds like you're using the same boost controller as me and my spool is already quite fast in the low 30's. I'm not sure I would be able to avoid a boost spike with such an aggressive gain.

Len,

If you are running high numbers be prepared for quite a bit of tranny work. Especially if you are running a 6-speed or the 4.55r&p. We nuked our diff, and sheered the teeth off the R&P. This all happened with the Twin Exedy slipping. We tried the CM but it maxed out for us at 550 rwhp. Exedy is sending us another unit to try, hopefully it will do the trick:)

Factor X Motorsports said:
Len,

If you are running high numbers be prepared for quite a bit of tranny work. Especially if you are running a 6-speed or the 4.55r&p. We nuked our diff, and sheered the teeth off the R&P. This all happened with the Twin Exedy slipping. We tried the CM but it maxed out for us at 550 rwhp. Exedy is sending us another unit to try, hopefully it will do the trick:)

6speed with the 4.55 was indeed the victim.
Were you guys damaging them due to hard launches?
Was there any damage done to the trans when accelerating from a roll?
Thanks
Len

Last edited:
len3.8 said:
6speed with the 4.55 was indeed the victim.
Were you guys damaging them due to hard launches?
Was there any damage done to the trans when excellerating from a roll?
Thanks
Len

Pretty much all of the above, the scariest being from a roll at about 140+mph. As you mentioned people really dont understand the power. We did a roll from 60-180 it took less than 1/2 mile to reach that speed. 200+ was definetely a possibility if we had the balls/lack of brains to do it.

Btw, congrats to GJ and an excellent write up.

hi Len -- We've repaired two transmissions (including my own) from the ring gear shattering. In both instances, the case half cracked from the oil gear locking in place and twisting. There's a good chance that this is what happened to yours. Good luck with the repair.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Factor X Motorsports said:
Pretty much all of the above, the scariest being from a roll at about 140+mph. As you mentioned people really dont understand the power. We did a roll from 60-180 it took less than 1/2 mile to reach that speed. 200+ was definetely a possibility if we had the balls/lack of brains to do it.

Btw, congrats to GJ and an excellent write up.

Man I must have excelled to accelerate.... :smile: Sorry my spelling is pathetic. I know what you mean with the quickness that these High HP cars get to the triple digits, it happens to darn fast. Mind boggling....

What trans has lasted the longest for all of you High HP guys.
I like Jason's suggestion on the cryo treatment.
I am thinking that the stock trans my be the way to go.

Chris, I am thinking as well as GJ that it may very well be the ring gear sheering or shattering.
Oh well, I will post what I find. Thanks to you all for letting me know that I am suspecting is right in line with what I mat actually find. :frown:

Where is Heather, I need a collection fund started. :smile:

Sig said:
Are getting a sizeable boost spike at that setting? Sounds like you're using the same boost controller as me and my spool is already quite fast in the low 30's. I'm not sure I would be able to avoid a boost spike with such an aggressive gain.

I have not seen any spikes so far. I have enough faith in GJ's work on my motor that it will take the extra pressure, if it happens. Water injection and 100 octane help too. My only worry is the tranny, but I have accepted the fact that it will break some day.

What kind of waste gate are you using. It may not be opening fast enough for the spool rate. I am pretty sure the type of gate, spring, and spring tensioner have alot to do with the reaction time after the boost controller tells it to open. Try backing off the tension on the spring and see if that helps with the spikes. I am not sure if that will work but maybe worth a try.

BTW I have a tial wastegate and 13lb spring, I think.

Back