• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Turn Signal LED DRLs

Thanks for the feedback. So far the LEDs are holding up nicely. Been through some pretty hard rain too. Other people seem to like them. You can find the parts just about anywhere online. I used 14 3W LEDs, 14 heatsinks, 14 12VDC CC drivers, 14 lenses, and two relays. I will draw a schematic sometime. My next design will use microcontrollers instead of relays. I have been a little distracted lately, but will pick it back up soon. I will post some pics when I am done with that. Until then here are a few new shots. I finally got a hold of a camera that would let me adjust the exposure so the light does not over saturate the shot.

DSC_0023_zpsa2617858.jpg

DSC_0028_zpsaf5e74ff.jpg

DSC_0219_zpsad1a2b92.jpg

Last edited:
Have you had the chance to draw up the schematic? I'd like to take this project on but I'd feel better if I had the schematic in hand.

Thanks!

Did you seal up the back of the headlight that you cut? If so, with what?

what i found with the luxeon leds is you can put 3 in series after the constant current supply. i did this when i was fitting hi current LEDs in my hotrod rear lamps. that'll reduce the component count

also you can knock the current down to 350mA and still be bright enough to burn your eyes, but reducing the heat issues...

i'm working on my own version of the DRL idea (inspired by this thread, so technically your fault, but just for me, too much hassle to do a production run!!!) my version will include the amber turn signal function in place too

Awesome work bro! Glad to see actual custom LED work for a change. I know these are brighter then the ones I use to make, im sure it looks amazing in person. I think if you replaced the front lens with Lexan it would look much better. Either looks great, keep up the good work.

I've seen them in person, and they looked amazing.

Had them in my rearview for the most part during a drive that started in the dark of early morning to the crack of dawn and on to the morning light. Wonderful.

Hey Jason, yeah that was a fun drive.

There are many ways to wire it up, but I chose this way so I had the option to expand the project later to do sequential blinking. Basically I will eliminate all the relays and use a micro controller instead. I will control each individually which is why I wired them in parallel for now instead of series.

I bought the Constant Current Source (CCS) already made, so I don't have a schematic for building it. They were cheap, so it was not worth it to build. Let me know if you all have questions.

Omar

Finally got around to finishing this.

Video 1: LED pattern on startup.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid588.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss324%2Fowali%2F2014-01-13204308_zpsb0a7181c.mp4">
Video 2: How the turn signal looks.
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid588.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss324%2Fowali%2F2014-01-13213659_zpsce95cda5.mp4">

Now that I have the microcontroller installed I can change how the LEDs light up with a few key strokes. So any pattern is possible. I was thinking about making a set with yellow LEDs for a JDM look, what do you all think?

Last edited:
I like it. Are you thinking about alternating the white and yellow in a WYWYWYW arrangement? That would give you running lights and turn signals.

hmmm looks cool! i just might have to do this to my DRLs!!! what micro-controller / CCS did you use?

I think yellow or orange/amber would be perfect.

One, because I'm not a huge fan of the cool color white that white LEDs give off, it looks out of place to me on a '90s shape.

Also because yellow is supposed to be easier on the eyes of other drivers at night, so might help with your night dimming concerns.

here's mine, DRL, with indicators. the DRl's dip to side-light levels when the indicator is on. dimming is by a PWM LED controller (here we have to have amber turn signals!)

DRL/sidelight brightness control is by basis relay logic as i needed the DRL to still work as a sidelight/marker with the ignition off

looks like i'm going to finally have to buy a PIC processor kit!

Last edited:
@ Britlude, those came out really nice, I like your design for the turn signal. That PIC chip I mentioned also has a PWM function, but I have not taken advantage yet.

I guess some places are strict about having amber turn signals. Nobody ever bothers me where I live. The yellow I am thinking about putting in there is more of a banana yellow :)

Back