• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ultimate Hybrid NSX Project

OK, The Jig's up!

"Those things" are actually Big Rotisserie Spindles! (although I must admit the idea of a Ballistic Recovery System sounds like a good idea when watching clips of high MPH shunts)! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

DSC_0931.jpg

DSC_0933.jpg

DSC_0935.jpg

FYI, I guessed pretty close on the CoG, as I can rotate the car by myself with only a 22" breaker bar! Also, I purposely built the rotisserie strong enough to rotate the completed car (approx 2600 lbs). Kind of a cool way to find TRUE CoG on a race car!

10 Minute Engine Removal

A little cutting & welding & drilling on a Harbor Freight Transmission Jack (their top-of-the-line 2000# model), & voila! .....remove 8 bolts, lower jack, engine is out!

DSC_0912.jpg

DSC_0916.jpg

DSC_0917.jpg

DSC_0921.jpg

FYI, should receive seat & power steering next week.....car will be on the ground AS A ROLLER for car show on Sat, 4/30/11....gonna be some late nights!

Not Quite Ready

Fabricator couldn't devote adequate time to finish welding underside of front suspension (even though I was furnishing a rotisserie!)....haven't put on the ground yet.

Got my new seat & power steering....here are a couple of pics for now!

DSC_0958.jpg

DSC_0961.jpg

DSC_0963.jpg

The seat & steering were custom-built to my specs by Butlerbuilt & Woodward, respectively....best of the best!

Last edited:
Couldn't just get a regular racing seat could you... you had to be "special" again. LOL...

That looks like a serious angle in the bottom section. Is that just the camera or is it actually raked that much?

Couldn't just get a regular racing seat could you... you had to be "special" again. LOL...

That looks like a serious angle in the bottom section. Is that just the camera or is it actually raked that much?

Seat doesn't FEEL particularly "raked"....in fact, my torso feels fairly upright, not much different from the "lay-back angle of most seats! The knees are SUPPOSED to be bent, to produce less stress on the ankles when feet are on the pedals. The seat is designed for detachable legboards...just haven't drilled the mounting holes yet. Also, I had to slice off a section of the seat bottom to allow seat to crowd the tunnel.....which results in the most helmet-to-cage clearance (see pics).

DSC_0975.jpg

DSC_0990.jpg

Me testing position of seat before halo. Notice "rib surrounds" literally wrap the ribcage about 1/3rd around (if center of chest were 100%)!.....makes for an ultra-safe seat!

DSC_0998.jpg

This last shot is of me attaching halo.....the most serious head protection money can buy! (there's a reason all them NASCAR boys run Butlerbuilt seats)

DSC_1000.jpg

BTW, you can get the full-CF version of this seat from Hendrick Motorsports for "only" $ 16k!

(thanks to my lovely daughter Christina for the photography of me "doing my thing")

1) What do the rib surrounds do?

2) who makes this seat?

3) what is a detachable leg-board?

4) what are those tubes on the sides of the seats for? is that another safety item? It looks like seat has its own mini rollcage. LOL

5) have you kept track of you man hours? what are you up to so far?

6) whereabouts are you on this project? Are you halfway done yet?

Last edited:
Swing-Away steering column!

I'm designing a steering column that swings up & to the right, to make it easier to get in & out of the containment seat. 1" x 4" and safety wire are handy for experimenting with "comfortable" wheel position! Note the Mychron steering wheel (for all of you kart afficionados)!

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

FYI....10 lb Halon bottle fits perfectly under the front edge of seat....also ideal c.o.g. for it!

Seeing those orange tools working to build this project makes me think Harbor Freight should be sponsoring your efforts!

I haven't kept up with this project over the past several months so I don't remember what level competition you are going for but will that seat pass tech inspection?

More Holes!
For those who like to calculate stuff: 1/2" aluminum plate started at 3.25 lbs, and after "hole crazy Dale" finished, was 2.18 lbs......but it's the percentage reduction that counts (isn't it?)

That's a work of art mate........... I wish I had the time/money/effort/equipment/knowledge to do such things with my build......its inspiring to see your progress.

It's always interesting to see what direction others take.... looks like your cage will be a fair bit easier than mine to get in and out of, but our governing body won't allow a cage without a front side intrusion bar going up towards the top of the dash...... I'm just going to book yoga lessons instead.

Thanks for sharing mate.

It's always interesting to see what direction others take.... looks like your cage will be a fair bit easier than mine to get in and out of, but our governing body won't allow a cage without a front side intrusion bar going up towards the top of the dash...... I'm just going to book yoga lessons instead.

Thanks for sharing mate.

Funny you should mention your "governing body"! Because I intend to race this with numerous sanctioning bodies, all over the U.S., I've built the car to what can best be described as most "crash-worthy", knowing full well there will be some pinhead somewhere who isn't necessarily as versed in safety as he is in his precious rulebook, who will protest some aspect of my design. For example, both ALMS & Grand Am recognize the merits of CF/Kevlar/honeycomb side impact "crush-boxes"....but there are some AMATEUR organizations that simply haven't graduated to that concept (yet). Also, I am running Halon as my fire suppressant, but some orgs have banned it (go figure!). FWIW, every piece of steel in the whole car is 4130 chrome moly,which is significantly stronger-per-lb. than D.O.M. or electric weld tubing.....yet, my local org.(NASA) gives NO preference to it, & thus most cages are fabbed from D.O.M. but with a slightly larger O.D. & slightly heavier wall thickness, because it costs much less than chrome moly! What isn't visible (yet) is both front & rear CF/Kevlar crash attenuators (front is integral to the "nose" of the body, while rear attaches to back of transaxle)...which provide much better survivability in extreme impact....or the CO scrubber that is in-line with my fresh air system....or the fire-proof ceramic coating that will be sprayed inside my entire engine bay....or the "dead-man" rollover fuel pump kill switch, etc., etc. I'm not doing any of these "exotic" technologies because of anybody's rulebook.....I've incorporated them because I'M the driver!

Bottom Line: Most sanctioning bodies have an "exemption clause" in their technical specs, that allow the chief technical steward to "allow" a configuration, even though it may not be exactly in compliance, IF...it is obvious that the design & execution results in the desired element of driver protection. I've gone a step further; Kevlar-Aramid wheel tethers at all 4 corners (Google how many people have been killed by a wheel & tire FLYING off of a race car)!

Keep up the good work on your car, & race safe, and enjoy the yoga classes!

I'm loving looking at that block in there

Dale any idea what this project will have cost you when all done?

Dale any idea what this project will have cost you when all done?

Good question!.....I have an idea, but I think I may have surpressed the "real" numbers in pure DNA-level self preservation. I've actually kept all of the receipts (which fill a briefcase), but I don't think I'll be adding them up anytime soon.....I am a Financial Planner by profession, & this just doesn't meet my "highest use of the dollar" rules for creating personal wealth!

On the other hand, I could chalk the total expense up to much-needed therapy, haha!

Major Progress on front suspension!

Spent most of the last 3 days in my fabricator's shop doing long-anticipated weld-up of the front suspension. Also had to fab a completely new engine mount cross-member, as the first one was designed around my crate motor, but as the project has evolved, there turned out to be 2 drawbacks to the design; 1. it wouldn't clear my Dailey Engineering dry sump pump on the "race motor", & 2. it was in the way of my fuel cell design...which limited my ability to make the largest cells possible in the available space. Oh Well, better make the improvements while at this stage than later!

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

Just some finish-up welding on the seat mount & oil tank mount (inside P.S. foot well), & then its back home, where I will bolt up all of the suspension & put the beast on the ground as a roller!

Back