• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ultrasuede headliner- Having a #*$&@#! OF A TIME

Those who have sucessfully done your headliners in ultrasuede/alcantara/microsuede... HOW!?? the material has VERY little give and I keep getting wrinkles ive managed to get all the other panels done, but just cant get the headliner.

I've dealt with alcantara (authentic from Gulf Fabric) in the past and agree that there is little to no give. It was a simple install on a headliner with slight to medium curves and I could not fill the visor dips properly. I did not use steam. Based on my experience with alcantara, I don't believe I would attempt to use it on curvy surfaces again without stitching to address the curves.

I have done several headliners and utilized a steamer to help. Using Alcantara I had applied using industrial adhesive to adhere to surface while steaming to ensure no issues during application. Just to take it a further step I tried vaccuum bagging the whole headliner as I do with my carbon parts with much success even with curves and dips.

Steam is the way to go. The heat and slight moisture give the material just enough give to get around curves. Steam is also very handy when doing leather seat upholstery.

Back