• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

UPHELD!!! Obamacare

Agreed, most people have no idea what all is in the bill. There are some very good things in the bill but overall the bill was not thought out well. Nothing in the bill brings any part of the cost of care down and much in it increases the premiums that are charged and even gives incentives for the insurance carriers to increase premiums. There is 6% in new premium taxes to the insurance companies that are directly passed through in new premiums. The minimum loss ration gives the carriers an incentive to increase the premium since they cannot afford to guess low on their premiums since they cannot make up for a bad year with a good one. Since they can only keep between 15 - 20 cents of every premium dollar for administrative expenses the higher the premium the more they get to keep. A$$ backward reasoning if you ask me. The rhetoric sounds good but the actual economics doesn't work.

It's amazing how little most Americans know about the Affordable Care Act, yet that doesn't keep them from talking about how bad it is.

Yes, including the politicians who voted for the bill in the first place (Nancy Pelosi being one of them). Exactly how GOOD is this bill going to be??

Yes, including the politicians who voted for the bill in the first place (Nancy Pelosi being one of them). Exactly how GOOD is this bill going to be??

I am glad we passed it so we could see whats in the bill :rolleyes:

You know it was written 30 years ago by bunch of hippies; all they did was pulling it off the shelf and added some new provisions... I find it hard to believe these people can simply create close to 3000 pages of rules within that short period of time.

CNN has a special on healthcare around the world. They replay it every so often.
It's an eye opener. US health care pretty much sucks compared to the rest of the world. We have shorter life spans vs most of the developed world with health care that cost 3x more that any other country. Even Germany has free health care.
IMO, if republicans don't have any REAL ideas on how to fix it, they should stay quite.

CNN has a special on healthcare around the world. They replay it every so often.
It's an eye opener. US health care pretty much sucks compared to the rest of the world. We have shorter life spans vs most of the developed world with health care that cost 3x more that any other country. Even Germany has free health care.
IMO, if republicans don't have any REAL ideas on how to fix it, they should stay quite.

They do have a plan to fix it, it's called tort reform and interstate commerce. It's probably in a bill sitting on Harry Reid's desk along with the dozens of other bills rep have put forward but Reid refuses to have votes on. It's amazing how much blame rep receive when they only control 1/3 rd of the government.

LOL... if "tort reform" is supposed to fix healthcare I'd say we are all pretty well F'ed.

If I remember right GW wanted to put social security into the stock market. That would've been something... Some of what goes on is so ludicrous it's just comical.

US health care pretty much sucks compared to the rest of the world. We have shorter life spans vs most of the developed world with health care that cost 3x more that any other country. Even Germany has free health care.

There are so many other things that go into lifespan outside of healthcare and for you to cite it as an example is sheer regurgitation. Look into how these countries keep statistics on life span. For instance, in the US, we factor infant mortality into our life span statistics. Other countries? Not so much. Apparently, a majority of the US is a bunch of fat a$$es. This too would lead to a shorter lifespan. What does our healthcare system have to do with that?

Also, Germany doesn't have "free" healthcare. That service comes at a cost to someone. It's just that those receiving it don't have to pay anything. What is it with people who don't understand the difference between what something costs and what someone pays? Folks who can't understand this fundamental economic difference should just stay silent.

And you believe CNN?

If our healthcare is so bad, why are all the Kings, Presidents, dictators, Prime Ministers, Sultans all come to us for their healthcare?

FYI, it is OK to watch FOX News once a while to balance it out. John Stossel just did a special on WHY our healthcare is so expensive. You can pretty much sum it up our high cost of healthcare to government's OVER regulations. 100% of time when the government see a thriving industry, they want a piece of it.

There is NO such a thing as great national healthcare. When you contract your life with the government, your F'ed if they don't feel like taking care of you, and quite often, they don't give a f..k about you.

Last edited:
When you contract your life with the government, your F'ed if they don't feel like taking care of you, and quite often, they don't give a f..k about you.

Of course.... unlike an insurance company who really does care about you. When it comes to "contracting your life", you should definitely leave it in their hands. LOL

Of course.... unlike an insurance company who really does care about you. When it comes to "contracting your life", you should definitely leave it in their hands. LOL

I expect the insurance company to not "care about me." I think the same about the government. What I don't understand is how people, knowing the insurance companies are about their bottom line (which is fine, at least I know this), feel the government is the alternative? "Solving our problem" is government telling us we have to enter into contract with the insurance companies? That's a great idea.

And you believe CNN?

If our healthcare is so bad, why are all the Kings, Presidents, dictators, Prime Ministers, Sultans all come to us for their healthcare?

FYI, it is OK to watch FOX News once a while to balance it out. John Stossel just did a special on WHY our healthcare is so expensive. You can pretty much sum it up our high cost of healthcare to government's OVER regulations. 100% of time when the government see a thriving industry, they want a piece of it.

There is NO such a thing as great national healthcare. When you contract your life with the government, your F'ed if they don't feel like taking care of you, and quite often, they don't give a f..k about you.

This.

I find that many don't understand what goes into the high cost of healthcare. It doesn't need to be a specific knowledge, only general knowledge would do but even that is lacking. Some of the things that go unacknowledged?

High costs of medical school; $160k average debt, 1/3 over $200k debt.

Cost of medical devices and technology; For instance, some prosthetic implants cost more than the doctor performing the procedure.

Defensive medicine; Estimates run as high as $650 billion and as low as ~$55 billion. Either way, the costs exist and lies somewhere in between.

Medical malpractice insurance; obstetrics and anesthesiology are hardest hit. Depending on the state, premiums can range from $20k to $200k, annually. Low to high, that's a lot of money.

The healthcare bill does nothing to address these costs. The only thing governments can do is implement price controls.

And you believe CNN?

I do. It seems like the only balanced news out there.
There's no such thing as 'balancing it out' with Fox news.
That's like saying you balance out your morning paper with the national enquirer. It's not even in the realm of truth.

What's more, I trust Dr Sanjay Gupta. The guy has no agenda that I can see.

Also, Germany doesn't have "free" healthcare. That service comes at a cost to someone. It's just that those receiving it don't have to pay anything. What is it with people who don't understand the difference between what something costs and what someone pays? Folks who can't understand this fundamental economic difference should just stay silent.

Regardless, Germans are covered from cradle to grave at about 1/3rd the cost.
In the land of the free, you get cancer -> you lose your job -> you CAN'T get insurance -> bankrupt -> die.

They do have a plan to fix it, it's called tort reform and interstate commerce. It's probably in a bill sitting on Harry Reid's desk along with the dozens of other bills rep have put forward but Reid refuses to have votes on. It's amazing how much blame rep receive when they only control 1/3 rd of the government.

Everyone knows that's a joke. When you're crunched up in a ball out of pain, you're not going to call around and drive 2,000 miles to a different hospital.
The bigger issue are things like being covered for pre-existing conditions. So when you get laid off because you can't do kemo and hold down a job, you can actually buy insurance.

Last edited:
That's like saying you balance out your morning paper with the national enquirer. It's not even in the realm of truth.

What's more, I trust Dr Sanjay Gupta. The guy has no agenda that I can see.

In the land of the free, you get cancer -> you lose your job -> you CAN'T get insurance -> bankrupt -> die.

Everyone knows that's a joke. When you're crunched up in a ball out of pain, you're not going to call around and drive 2,000 miles to a different hospital.
The bigger issue are things like being coveredI for pre-existing conditions. So when you get laid off because you can't do kemo and hold down a job, you can actually buy insurance.

You have little to no understanding as to what you speak of. If not fox try a website news source that's not in the bag for the current administration.

I'm going to make an assumption that you probably don't watch Fox News. If so, how could you even know Fox New's propensity for balancing anything let alone compare it to the National Enquirer? As with many who don't actually watch it you're simply invoking a source bias and using it as some sort of pejorative. I have no illusions as to where Fox News leans, duh, I'd be blind to not see it. But let's not kid ourselves and say CNN is straight down the middle (or near it).

When you say "regardless" I'm going to assume it implies you agree with my assertion that nothing is "free." I'd venture to say that much of the reason that German coverage is 1/3 the cost is due to that system not having the cost adding mechanisms that are built into our system. Do their medical schools costs as much? Do their doctors make as much money? Do their doctors pay as much in malpractice insurance? How about their costs of innovation in drugs and medical devices? They have the world's oldest universal healthcare system. When a system is only known to be universal, where healthcare workers are by and large government employees, it stands to reason that costs can be kept lower, through price controls, because there is only a single employer (payer). Rationing is also a real issue in single payer countries.

The bigger issue are things like being covered for pre-existing conditions. So when you get laid off because you can't do kemo and hold down a job, you can actually buy insurance.

Actually, not everyone, I must be in the dark. Yes, people do come to this country from all over to seek certain healthcare procedures in the U.S.? Why? Mainly because it's quicker to come here, get the procedure done, rather than wait in their native country.

As for pre-existing conditions. I for one am not against insuring those with pre-existing conditions. I'm not for forcing a private company into doing so. There's a reason insurance companies don't insure high-risk pre-existing condition candidates. 1) It's not financially feasible for the insurance company because like or not they are a business and businesses exist to make money. Insurance companies as an industry only see a 2% profit margin, by the way. My personal profit margin exceeds that exponentially. 2) If insurance companies truly charged rates commensurate with risk of covering high-risk pre-existing condition individuals it wouldn't be financially feasible for the individual. So there's a reason for this. Yes, it sucks but how is forcing an insurance company to cover pre-existing conditions solving our greater problem of costs? If the insurance company has to insure these individuals they have to make it to where they can actually afford the premiums. How do they do this? They have to distribute the costs of that risk to others in the actuarial pool. So in turn, completely healthy individuals who hardly need to see a doctor outside of a freak occurrence end up paying higher premiums because of this particular limitation on cost differentiation. Why is that fair? Another question many fail to ask is what are the sources of these pre-existing conditions? Are they lifestyle induced? People suffering recurring health problems due to chronic drug use, drinking, obesity, etc., are those folks entitled to subsidized health insurance premiums? Someone has a congenital pre-existing condition or one from an accident? I'm not against doing something like setting up state-funded exchanges or something along those lines (though in California we can't afford to do even that).

Last edited:
Insurance companies only live on a 2% profit margin... Bee, you're a smart guy, I'm just asking you as a common sense question... Does that make perfect sense to you? Do you feel bad for them? The two biggest buildings in Boston are: 1) the Prudential, and 2) the John Hancock tower. Do you really think they are hurting? How big is AIG again? Last I remember, it was big enough to throw the world economy into chaos. If they are "only" making 2%, they must be raking in a $htload of cash to become that big based on 2%.

The difference is you can sue the Insurance company and you can't sue the Federal Government.

I will reconsider my take on the Obamacare when Obama himself accept it as his only form of healthcare.

Last edited:
The difference is you can sue the Insurance company and you can't sue the Federal Government.

I will reconsider my take on the Obamacare when Obama himself accept it as his only form of healthcare.

Sue them when? After you are dead? After they have dropped you or denied you care? Unlike that whole ridiculous "they're going to kill granny" issue they tried to put on health care reform, insurance companies have dropped coverage on people who have gone bankrupt and actually DIED, for years. Suing them then won't bring you back, and it doesn't work most of the time. Your puny lawyer going up against 30 high profile insurance company lawyers. Your odds aren't good. But.... If we bring in "tort reform", which is their new complaint, they won't have to pay much of that either. Just in case your grieving family wins.

Last edited:
I had a really long post but you can really summarize it in a few words....corruption and greed. The insurance companies, the lawyers, the doctors and the people who milk the system, starting with the poor and going all the way up to the uber wealthy.

Fact....If you need to have your knee scoped in NJ without insurance, the fee is around $9k...... same Dr. performing the same surgery will accept on the average around $600 from the insurance company....who is ripping off who in this scenario?

As far as the illegals go....they, for the most part, don't want any insurance that they would have to pay a penny for. Why would they? It's free for them as it is now. Fine them....hahahahahaha....they don't file tax returns so what good will the IRS do in collecting those fines......I mean taxes.

My friends wife works for AIG, and she received her biggest year end bonus ever after being bailed out by the government.

If everyone has to get insurance by law, shouldn't there be strict price structuring on what can be charged as a premium, and shouldn't that premium be substantially less than the average pricing now?

If someone shows up to the ER for treatment without insurance and the condition is clearly not life threatening.....give them directions to the nearest free clinic and send them on their way.

Sue them when? After you are dead? After they have dropped you or denied you care? Unlike that whole ridiculous "they're going to kill granny" issue they tried to put on health care reform, insurance companies have dropped coverage on people who have gone bankrupt and actually DIED, for years. Suing them then won't bring you back, and it doesn't work most of the time. Your puny lawyer going up against 30 high profile insurance company lawyers. Your odds aren't good. But.... If we bring in "tort reform", which is their new complaint, they won't have to pay much of that either. Just in case your grieving family wins.

The differences is if you're dying and the Feds write you off, your family members simply have to hit the store and have your size measured. If the Private insurance company screw you over, at least there are other monetary channel your family can go after.

As I have indicated, I will accept Obamacare if Obama accept it for himself and his family. If not, he has no rights to take the free market away from us.

As for pre-existing conditions. I for one am not against insuring those with pre-existing conditions. I'm not for forcing a private company into doing so. There's a reason insurance companies don't insure high-risk pre-existing condition candidates. 1) It's not financially feasible for the insurance company because like or not they are a business and businesses exist to make money. Insurance companies as an industry only see a 2% profit margin, by the way. My personal profit margin exceeds that exponentially. 2) If insurance companies truly charged rates commensurate with risk of covering high-risk pre-existing condition individuals it wouldn't be financially feasible for the individual. So there's a reason for this. Yes, it sucks but how is forcing an insurance company to cover pre-existing conditions solving our greater problem of costs? If the insurance company has to insure these individuals they have to make it to where they can actually afford the premiums. How do they do this? They have to distribute the costs of that risk to others in the actuarial pool. So in turn, completely healthy individuals who hardly need to see a doctor outside of a freak occurrence end up paying higher premiums because of this particular limitation on cost differentiation. Why is that fair? Another question many fail to ask is what are the sources of these pre-existing conditions? Are they lifestyle induced? People suffering recurring health problems due to chronic drug use, drinking, obesity, etc., are those folks entitled to subsidized health insurance premiums? Someone has a congenital pre-existing condition or one from an accident? I'm not against doing something like setting up state-funded exchanges or something along those lines (though in California we can't afford to do even that).

Let me start by saying what I am writing does not address the cost reduction part of your argument, only the insurance. I think the two problems should both be addressed, but I'm going to only talk about insurance.

What you are describing as reasons against insuring (or mandating the coverage of) preexisting conditions is exactly how insurance should work. You don't silo each customer off in isolation and then say, "okay, I will calculate you as a risk, and then you will pay enough in premium to cover whatever risk-adjusted cost over your lifetime." No--that is not going to work because of the super wide variation in the cost of healthcare for different people. Of course you have the healthy people subsidize the cost of the people with serious preexisting issues. That's the point of insurance. It IS fair for the healthy people because in return they are getting the assurance that they will receive coverage if they DO get sick with cancer and that they also will not be kicked out of their coverage. The way the math works is you need to have the healthy population participate in order to make the burden light as possible for everyone. Otherwise, healthy twenty somethings will never get any insurance because they're as healthy as a horse. (That was me.)

Businesses live in a society of rules that force them to do all sorts of things. There are rules around accounting, fraud, consumer protections, worker abuse, and a thousand other things. They navigate those rules as a part of doing business in a civilized world.

I won't try to address the lifestyle stuff because that is a complex sociological problem that I'm sure would spawn a whole other debate. :smile:

Last edited:
it couldn't come soon enough.... i was just denied coverage due to a pre-existing condition.... I'm livid. :mad:

Re: UPHELD!!! Obscure

Interesting responses, but for the most part driven by partial arguments, often driven by ideological perspective and personal circumstances. Sadly, public policy is not made on such parameters - unless the politics dictate it.

Just to share a few thoughts - since I have been in the health care business for some 30+ years both in payer and provider side, as well as management/consulting, and adjunct prof. - let me shed a few discussion points.

The example, regarding: "You don't silo each customer off in isolation and then say, "okay, I will calculate you as a risk, and then you will pay enough in premium to cover whatever risk-adjusted cost over your lifetime." Well that is exactly what we do for auto insurance. Why are auto insurance premiums allowed to be risk based whereas health insurance is argued that it should be community rated?

Another example, "that is not going to work because of the super wide variation in the cost of healthcare for different people." Not true. Actuarial studies are based on certain sample sizes. Once you meet that sample size then the confidence interval becomes the issue; do you want to be 90% confident that you have correctly captured the risk of that subpopulation or 95%? At the higher level you will need a larger pool; and if you want 100% assurance then you don't take a sample, you use the entire group.

Another point of contention: the markets have failed the consumer. Wrong. There is no substitute to the efficiency and effectiveness of a truly competitive market place - the operative word being truly competitive. The markets act within the parameters set by regulators and legislators. And all participants are motivated by enhancing their "position" (monetary or otherwise) whether one is for profit or not. Political correctness will argue the non-profits care about the care they give whereas the for profits focus on their shareholders. Mostly hogwash. The non-profit systems are equally motivated to maximize their margins and further expand/grow albeit how they spend those "profits" is different from those who are for profit. And you may want to look into your 401K holdings to see if some of those for profit health care providers/payers are helping your retirement or not. The issue is not the human motivation, but rather the failure of governance by regulators and the legislators. Don't like the current winners and losers, change them through the political process so you get a better result. If you keep electing the same bozos, you will keep getting the same outcome.

The impact of ACA is going to harm businesses. This is debatable at best on various levels. Employers with less than 25 - the majority that truly create services, products and jobs - are exempt. The others by offering health care may have a healthier and more satisfied workforce hence less turnover. This has value in of itself even if it may cost the employer $3000 in tax should they opt out and have the employers go to the Exchange. Additionally, the ACA will create a huge influx of allied health workers to meet such pent-up demand with a slew of new cottage industry of navigators, assisitors, brokers etc. When you look at the big picture, it is not that simple and clear the net impact on workforce or business. As in any major public policy, there will be winners and sometimes losers. The art of bipartisan politicking in public policy is to have a Pareto Optimality - where no one is worse off than before but at least one is better off now [one can be a collective group].

Impact on individuals that currently don't have insurance. The poor will be covered by Medicaid (Medi-Cal in California). For most who are in the middle class, this will really depend on which level of approved health plan package benefit they choose (as in percent of premium, copays and deductibles). While they may now be able to afford subsidized health care, their price and income elasticity will determine which level they end up purchasing which may not necessarily encourage utilization even if access to affordable health care has been made available.

This gets technical but let me offer an example. If I have to pay $5000 per year in subsidized health insurance premiums for a family with deductibles and copays, I may have less discretionary money left to pay the actual deductibles and copays when I actually need services and use it only for catastrophic cases. But then again, the ACA is mandated to offer quite a comprehensive package of benefits based on 10 large criteria of services; it doesn't allow one to choose a less comprehensive package through the Exchange - ie, you can get it in the free market but it won't be subsidized. So why would 50 year old couples be mandated to purchase benefit packages -that also include (by mandate OB services) when they are past that stage in their life cycle - if they want the subsidy but can get it only through the Exchange offerings? Sends us back to the fairness of whether we are offering insurance packages based risk adjusted age/sex/health status and other demographics of what individuals need and will use (based on their life cycle) or what society deems we all must purchase in order to lift all others who can't afford it.

This segways nicely to the social security comment made earlier. The reference of taking social security into the stock market was not accurate. The proposal was to offer individuals, especially those at least 15 years away from retirement the option of whether they wanted their retirement investments managed by the current social security trust fund (which is not sustainable based on the continuously increased benefits offered) or for those seeking more risk/reward outcomes, to invest in other venues (stock market being one option not exclusive). Sure there was politics by the financial institutions to push for this. But in the context of this discussion, we all know that increasing number of younger aged workers are subsidizing the retirement benefits of their parents and grandparents who have paid less into the system that the benefits they are now obtaining. So the young are subsidizing the old. Well then, shouldn't the same retirees also subsidize the health insurance of the younger ones who either can't afford health care or refuse to buy them?

Tort reform and defensive medicine was mentioned. The impact of this is huge in terms of unnecessary waste, in part because we never accept that medicine is both art and science. Many are too eager to capitalize on the opportunity to sue because they don't like the law of averages that nature dictates. And we all know eager lawyers waiting to cash-in on those contingency fees with bleeding heart juries. We all end up paying for this. There is no such thing as free lunch.

I can add a few more ......... but you get the gist. The potpourri of conflicting policies is the outcome of a beautifully mangled quais pluralistic democracy of how we make public policy work. You don't like the outcome sausage, get involved and make your own kielbasa :eek::wink:

Now, can we tie all this to the 99 percente vs. 1 percenter debate :biggrin::tongue:

Last edited:
Insurance companies only live on a 2% profit margin... Bee, you're a smart guy, I'm just asking you as a common sense question... Does that make perfect sense to you? Do you feel bad for them? The two biggest buildings in Boston are: 1) the Prudential, and 2) the John Hancock tower. Do you really think they are hurting? How big is AIG again? Last I remember, it was big enough to throw the world economy into chaos. If they are "only" making 2%, they must be raking in a $htload of cash to become that big based on 2%.

Okay, 2% was an understatement, it's actually just over 4%. I'm not saying I feel bad for them. They're doing well for themselves. In their case it's a matter of revenue generated by volume, huge volume. In context that 4% is very substantial, yes. I merely point it out because there are several other sectors of the healthcare industry where profit margins are much, much higher and make big contributions to added costs. Drug manufacturers see a ~23% profit margin, medical devices sees over 12%. These "evil" insurance companies aren't the root of our problem, it's the offspring of what our system has become. To simply squeeze insurance companies and say, "your profits can't exceed this amount" or "your cost differentiation factors can be no more than this" only moves to transfer costs, not reduce them. These aren't robots we're dealing with, these are groups of individuals with elastic behaviors, they will always move to get theirs in the end.

Earlier you said this law changes nothing. To an extend you're absolutely right and I agree. But the changes this law will bring, things we're seeing now and will see soon, things I'm hearing about from a very credible source won't be things we're going to like.

Back